Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 23:55   #361
BANNED

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankit998 View Post
ISo all-in-all, gentle acceleration and maintaining a speed between 40 and 65 for the Nexon EV should let me get at least 200, right?
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!
200 is easy peasy in city mode, I have been getting 220ish for my city rides. that's with 60kph on ORR and occasional burst to 80kph when road is free.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:04   #362
BHPian

Yesterday I met a friend who owns Nexon EV, wanted to drive the car but did not get the time, he told me he gets 200+ in the city on full charge and you get a good range only if you drive really sedately, he’s not a heavy foot but not driving like a saint either, so that’s all you can expect in real world. He said he did have warning showing on instrument cluster couple of times and got it fixed at TATA and nothing major of any sort.

Now my question is, all the money you save on fuel and service, you will end up spending all at once when the battery packs up, right? Six year company will back you up, what about after that? Battery cost you what 3-4-5 lakhs? And like any battery, with age and depends on how many times you charge, the battery range is gonna reduce? Let’s say at 7 year mark you want to sell your EV with an almost dead battery, what will be the resale you are gonna get?

I know EV’s just entered the market and we need time to answer all these questions, these are the concerns my friend shared and I also think he’s got a point. Whatever it is, EV is the future, that’s for sure
Old 17th February 2021, 14:20   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post
Now my question is, all the money you save on fuel and service, you will end up spending all at once when the battery packs up, right? Six year company will back you up, what about after that? Battery cost you what 3-4-5 lakhs? And like any battery, with age and depends on how many times you charge, the battery range is gonna reduce? Let’s say at 7 year mark you want to sell your EV with an almost dead battery, what will be the resale you are gonna get?

I know EV’s just entered the market and we need time to answer all these questions, these are the concerns my friend shared and I also think he’s got a point. Whatever it is, EV is the future, that’s for sure
I would not worry too much about the battery in that floor. When we say that the battery has reached end of life, it does not mean it now holds 0kWh, generally it means it now holds about 80-85% of the original capacity. That is still a lot of energy(almost 24kWh for Nexon EV). For a normal 3BHK apartment, that is almost 2 days worth of electricity being used.

I suspect there will be a pretty decent market for these battery packs so that they can be repurposed for second use at end of 8-10 years and then last another 8-10 years.

Actually at the end of 8 years, the battery may be the most precious item in your car
mohanphadnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 08:03   #364
Mik
BHPian

Finally got ours delivered.
New car jitters are real. Even though I am used to a bigger vehicle and during test drives, revved the TD car to glory - yesterday i was super careful coming back
The delivery experience was great - as it was our marriage anniversary and the showroom made arrangements.
However, the associate did struggle with explaining the car features.
The drive back was 38 km and the charge went from 100% to 85%. There is a learning curve to driving an EV.

Question 1: Is the smart band not offered with the EV. The showroom guys checked and said it wasn't.
Question 2: How much time does zconnect activation take. Also, can two mobiles use the same?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_20210217_171015.jpg  

Mik is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 10:09   #365
BANNED

Ignore the smart band, it's nothing but a glorified RFID, that piece of crap doesn't even show time, what's the point in wearing it on your wrist when the only job it does it unlock car just like your remote key.
the ZConnect app should be activated within 2 days.
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:12   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesanto View Post

Few points I like to reiterate.

1) Nexon EV uses Lithium iron batteries which usually have 5000 cycles of life, which means 5000*200km = 1 million kms. So, the battery lasts longer than the car or any ICE car.

2) Battery degradation is not linear, the first year will be like 3%, 2nd year like 2%, 3rd year like 1% after that may be 1% every year.

3) After 8 years of warranty the battery does not go kaput, it still has 90% or in the worst case 85%. Which for Nexon EV is atleast 170km.

4) Batteries in a car are not similar to that in scooters or the electronics, the biggest difference is cooling, Nexon EV has liquid cooling of batteries.

5) As said by Mohan in the earlier post the batteries will sell for better prices after the car is scrapped and the battery can be repurposed for home storage.
SKC-auto is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:25   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Finally got ours delivered.
New car jitters are real. Even though I am used to a bigger vehicle and during test drives, revved the TD car to glory - yesterday i was super careful coming back
Congratulations, Mik!
Is your car the XZ+ Lux?
If you don't mind, what's the other car you drive? Be interesting to know how different you feel the experience is with the Nexon and the other car in terms of refinement, build quality, ride etc.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:08   #368
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Congratulations, Mik!
Is your car the XZ+ Lux?
If you don't mind, what's the other car you drive? Be interesting to know how different you feel the experience is with the Nexon and the other car in terms of refinement, build quality, ride etc.
Hi DeKay. Yes mine is the XZ+ Lux.
My other car is a Compass Diesel Sport Plus (Base + 1 Model with a little bit of creature comforts like reverse cam/alloys/Dual zone ACC etc.)

Refinement: Well the EV is obviously more refined than an oil burner Infact this is what made us fall in love with it over the other automatics in the market.
Acceleration: Sport mode on the EV is ludicrous. The Compass feels like a big bull, but it takes its own sweet time.
Roll-ons : In D mode, i felt the lag in the EV. On the Compass, the cream of the powerband is there to enjoy.
Ride : Nexon is extremely good, but the Compass edges it out.
Build Quality: Again the Compass is better.
Handling: The EV takes the cake. I just love the torque steer and its slightly harder steering.
City Convenience : The EV with its much smaller turning radius.
Seat Comfort : Compass is better.

While the Nexon is sharp and has dollops of features in its top trim - in terms of sheer quality and execution - The Compass is a much better built car with lots of little things that come together.

Luckily for me, both are for different use-cases. The EV is for my wife and me for city runabouts, the Compass being the Highway Star.
Mik is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:41   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Luckily for me, both are for different use-cases. The EV is for my wife and me for city runabouts, the Compass being the Highway Star.
Congratulations! That's some garage you have there, great choices.

I would like to know if Tata installed a charger for you at home? If they did, is it a quick charger or a regular one?

Please also do share the real-world range and charging times you experience whenever you have the time (and once you have checked them ).

Cheers!
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 08:33   #370
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I would like to know if Tata installed a charger for you at home? If they did, is it a quick charger or a regular one?

No one will install a quick (Fast) charger at home, which requires permission from BESCOM (Discom) and is really expensive. What tata installs at home is nothing but a 16A plug from your meter, which might offset them by 5000 rupees maximum.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 11:12   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
A member in EV whatsapp group is stuck at a Tata Power fast charging station near Thrissur, KL.
I haven't purchased the Tata Nexon EV yet and I'm not going to do so after reading this.

Team-BHP is a forum for car enthusiasts (a lot of whom happen to also be technology—particularly renewable tech—enthusiasts) and the least I'd have expected is for Tata's technical executives to be here, actively participating in discussions and engaging with existing and potential buyers alike.

I know Tata is serious about EVs but I don't see any public acknowledgment of its mistakes. Imagine the trouble this guy had to go through just because he did the responsible thing by purchasing an electric vehicle (most likely after going against advice from family and friends).

Tata needs to be about a thousand times more sensitive towards every single one of these incidents. The attitude throughout the company should be that anything that goes wrong once is one time too many.

Instead, all I see is the chalta hai attitude. And you guys also behave like fanboys in here, praising the company just for being Indian most of the time, instead of holding Tata's feet to the fire, like you ought to.

Why hasn't Tata immediately responded to the fact that a customer had to cancel their trip because of their brand new electric car? Why have you guys moved on from that topic even for a few posts? I think every post on this forum and everywhere else should be about these issues until it starts taking them a lot more seriously.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 15:03   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Bitten the EV bullet. Should be getting mine delivered next week once the loan process is completed.
Do let me know if there is a owners whatsapp/telegram group for Bangalore/pan-India. Would love to join once the car is with us.

With regards to PDI, are there any specific things I need to check?
Also, when will Tata Power guys come for installation. Will they take their own sweet time or do it before the car is delivered.

Regards
Hey, how long was the overall wait for your EV? Judging by your previous post about a week? Seems to be super fast. Did you get a 2020 model or 2021?
zandot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 00:20   #373
BHPian

Hi, I liked the Nexon EV, and would really want to go for an EV as my next car. However, I wanted a car that has three 3-point seat belts, especially as I use booster seats for kids - and we are forced to remove the seat when a third person has to sit along with them.

Nexon, like most other Indian cars, only offers two 3-point belts and one lap belt. Is there any possibility to get an aftermarket 3-point seat belt installed in place of the lap belt? Any help/pointers would be of great help :-)
Old 21st February 2021, 09:27   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
I haven't purchased the Tata Nexon EV yet and I'm not going to do so after reading this.

Team-BHP is a forum for car enthusiasts (a lot of whom happen to also be technology—particularly renewable tech—enthusiasts) and the least I'd have expected is for Tata's technical executives to be here, actively participating in discussions and engaging with existing and potential buyers alike.

I know Tata is serious about EVs but I don't see any public acknowledgment of its mistakes. Imagine the trouble this guy had to go through just because he did the responsible thing by purchasing an electric vehicle (most likely after going against advice from family and friends).

Tata needs to be about a thousand times more sensitive towards every single one of these incidents. The attitude throughout the company should be that anything that goes wrong once is one time too many.

Instead, all I see is the chalta hai attitude. And you guys also behave like fanboys in here, praising the company just for being Indian most of the time, instead of holding Tata's feet to the fire, like you ought to.

Why hasn't Tata immediately responded to the fact that a customer had to cancel their trip because of their brand new electric car? Why have you guys moved on from that topic even for a few posts? I think every post on this forum and everywhere else should be about these issues until it starts taking them a lot more seriously.
As part of the Pan India Nexon EV group, we have made constant efforts to work with TML for the issues the vehicle has. However, we have noticed the lack of feedback very evidently for issues that are a threat to someone's life. The laid back attitude is not good for the consumers and there is no accountability. The only wave the nexon is riding on currently is the fact that there is no other EV in the price bracket it currently sits in. However, long term customer satisfaction and overall product reliability are still questions that are unanswered for us owners. Most of the early adopters have bet their money on their product going against the flow (and will from the family) but somehow the experience has been mixed for us.
shashankw839 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 12:42   #375
BHPian

Hi,
Please move to the appropriate thread if necessary.

We were interested in buying the Nexon EV and I had some questions after going through this thread.

Car will be used in Bangalore for intra-city commute. Avg 35 km/day. We might make occasional trips to Mysore/Ooty/Coorg, but they will be infrequent. We currently own a diesel Linea and petrol Swift, and are looking to replace the Linea. Safety is a key consideration, and so I am not too keen on Seltos (EV isn't a hard requirement).

Predictably, I am unsure about the range. It will primarily be driven by my brother and parents, who will not pay too much attention to extracting the best range. They'll just drive the car, and expect decent range as is. Would it be reasonable to expect ~170kms/charge, assuming overnight charging to full capacity? Also, would subtle changes to driving habits help reach around 200 kms/charge?

Though the car is new, can anyone shed light on how the battery is expected to degrade over time? I don't want to be coping with 120 kms/charge five years down the line.

I see some recent posts by shashankw839 about the car shifting to N. This is a concerning safety issue, especially considering this will be the first non-manual car at home. Has the issue been sorted, or is it still something to consider?

Are there other issues that warrant considering other cars, or waiting some time before considering the NexonEV? The Kona is out of budget, but I'm open to alternatives. Thanks for taking the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks