Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 09:57   #241
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivasain View Post
---
I can imagine how many of the management/legal/PR guys may be against this feature saying "what if it is a chauffeur driven car ? ... What if the car is for someone else in the family" ... etc and killed this feature.

But it made it into the feature list and that is amazing.
Myself and wife were having the exact same discussion when we were driving back our Nexon (P) from the dealership. We were discussing how small touches like the 'engraved tiger' in the glovebox, the lioness and cub in the rear windshield, resonate with the 'Local' tagline - but how the individual/ team would have had to cross multiple roadblocks, tackle questions related to how it would be useful etc. and then finally get them featured in the car.

Last edited by ZedMae : 13th November 2020 at 10:00.
ZedMae is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 15:02   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
Congratulations hkollar. Good to hear E2O owners buying Nexon EVs. Did you replace your E2O with Nexon or are you keeping both?

My question was whether it is normal for the vacuum booster to loose the vacuum soon after switching off the vehicle. My Nexon is loosing the vacuum within an hour after switching off the car.

I intend to keep E2O till it dies on me. I won't get such a sweet, small city car again I think. Car makers focus on big cars, when we need really small, smart city EVs. Both my wife & I love driving E2O to cramped streets or shopping. So, We will be "two EV" family.

I haven't faced a problem with the brake yet. But, I did notice brake pedal is tight till the vehicle start button is pressed. Not sure if you are having some other issue.

Issue with Nexon on 4th day of ownership.

This morning couldn't get the Nexon EV to start. It would show me a 'critical error' message on dashboard, and won't let me change drive mode.

Called Service Center. Was told to wait for half hour and try again. After half hour when I tried, it worked fine.

Wonder what caused it in the first place. Not being sure the car would start when I want to go somewhere is very troubling.

Tata service is saying they need to take a look at this in service center. Hope this isn't a recurring problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-dash-20201114-2.08.39-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by ajmat : 14th November 2020 at 15:36.
hkollar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 20:49   #243
BANNED

most of these alerts are due to wrong/false info from sensors or the software bug, very rarely is it a hardware fault.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 09:41   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
most of these alerts are due to wrong/false info from sensors or the software bug, very rarely is it a hardware fault.
I am sure it is a sensor issue. But, does it matter? If a car doesn't start/move when you want it to, that too in 4 days of purchase - then Initial Quality is poor.

I can't believe that after over 2 decades in car market, Tata hasn't fixed Quality & Service issues. It is stupid and suicidal. Doesn't matter how brilliant your design & engineering team is - if you can't provide a good quality, trouble free & reliable product.

In fact, I was very very sceptical of Tata, and now I am wondering if it was a blunder not going with Kona instead.
hkollar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 13:47   #245
BANNED

every product has its own niggles, Kona is going through a battery recall incident at the moment, and few MG owners also have its own niggles. As with any new technology/platform, one should expect few issues and learn to live with it, that's the other side of enjoying the latest technology.
DarthVeda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 15:11   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post

This morning couldn't get the Nexon EV to start. It would show me a 'critical error' message on dashboard, and won't let me change drive mode.

Called Service Center. Was told to wait for half hour and try again. After half hour when I tried, it worked fine.

Wonder what caused it in the first place. Not being sure the car would start when I want to go somewhere is very troubling.

Tata service is saying they need to take a look at this in service center. Hope this isn't a recurring problem.
Is your Nexon running on V2.07? If yes, then this warning is for you to update to the latest update V2.08
I took a test drive of Nexon EV last week and the test drive car also had same error, the sales executive mentioned this is due to the update. But the car didn't have any issues in running.
Tata motors have been pushing a few OTA updates as well. Just check, if this was during one such update.

Quote:
In fact, I was very very sceptical of Tata, and now I am wondering if it was a blunder not going with Kona instead.
As of now, none of the EVs in the market are without issues.
Of the lot, Nexon is one with little issues if you go by the owner's feedback.

MG ZS has it's own share of issues which are documented in this forum, which includes errors related to Motors Control system, battery fault among others.

Kona is undergoing a global recall for fire issues, which is most serious among the trio. What's most concerning is Hyundai India is not recalled Konas sold in India. The feedback from global users of Kona post recall update is not comforting either.
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 20:04   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
every product has its own niggles, Kona is going through a battery recall incident at the moment, and few MG owners also have its own niggles. As with any new technology/platform, one should expect few issues and learn to live with it, that's the other side of enjoying the latest technology.
Agreed that products have niggles. But, something that hampers the basic functioning (of driving) is bad.

I have been using a E2O for near 6yrs now. Experienced a small glitch in drive in the BMS, that stalled the vehicle in 1st week that Mahindra-Reva guys fixed. Haven't faced a problem after that. Not once did the E2O refuse to move when I wanted it to. It has many other niggles like door jamming, body rattling and AC not working properly, but not in basic functioning of taking me to place A to B.

So, I sure hope Nexon EV does the same. A car that is in the middle of road and refuses to move is an unreliable car, that makes people nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Tata motors have been pushing a few OTA updates as well. Just check, if this was during one such update.

As of now, none of the EVs in the market are without issues.
Of the lot, Nexon is one with little issues if you go by the owner's feedback.

MG ZS has it's own share of issues which are documented in this forum, which includes errors related to Motors Control system, battery fault among others.

Kona is undergoing a global recall for fire issues, which is most serious among the trio. What's most concerning is Hyundai India is not recalled Konas sold in India. The feedback from global users of Kona post recall update is not comforting either.
Perhaps it was indeed on an OTA update, but if so - the message could be more descriptive. I feel it is some sensor misfiring, indicating a problem with electrical system. Planning to take it to service centre next week for a check.

I sure hope Nexon is indeed has no serious issues, because having got it, I would be an unfortunate victim if it does..

I didn't consider MG ZS because it is a Chinese product with not big presence in India. However, I had considered Kona. The battery pack problem seems serious.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 00:00   #248
BHPian

Noticed that the Nexon EV will not have any Regen braking when your battery is between 96% to 100%.
I took it out yesterday evening after charging it to 100% and had a scary moment when the car started accelerating instead of regen braking on a small downhill gradient. Even the brakes behave differently when there is no regen and had to panic brake to avoid rear ending. The regen started once the battery reached 96%. I found it very difficult to drive without regen. You could feel the weight of the car and its inertia when you accelerate. A weird feeling like the car gliding in air, and was equally scary too. We will have to be very careful when we start off with a 100% battery.

In last one month, I had charged my car to 100% only twice. First on day 1 and then yesterday. Rest of the times it was charged only to 80-90%.

Last edited by Holyghost : 17th November 2020 at 00:06.
Holyghost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 09:16   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took it out yesterday evening after charging it to 100% and had a scary moment when the car started accelerating instead of regen braking on a small downhill gradient. Even the brakes behave differently when there is no regen and had to panic brake to avoid rear ending. The regen started once the battery reached 96%. I found it very difficult to drive without regen. You could feel the weight of the car and its inertia when you accelerate. A weird feeling like the car gliding in air, and was equally scary too.
It is such stupid software programming that gives a bad name to the entire technology! Compulsory regen is stupid and compulsary "regen off" is also stupid. It is so simple to provide adjustable regen (Kona has it, so does eZS) yet for TaMo this seems like rocket science!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:43   #250

Nexon EV goes under the hammer for feature cut :

XZ+ (mid variant) has following changes so far :
  • Centre armrest with cup holders removed.
  • Read seat head rest is not fixed.

https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/features/ site confirms these updates.

For a car costly more than 15L, these changes are

PS : For an OEM, who is putting ads about safety, is NOW removing adjustable head rests .

Last edited by Sheel : 25th November 2020 at 15:24. Reason: Typos.
AmitSapre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 17:06   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Noticed that the Nexon EV will not have any Regen braking when your battery is between 96% to 100%.
I took it out yesterday evening after charging it to 100% and had a scary moment when the car started accelerating instead of regen braking on a small downhill gradient. Even the brakes behave differently when there is no regen and had to panic brake to avoid rear ending. The regen started once the battery reached 96%. I found it very difficult to drive without regen. You could feel the weight of the car and its inertia when you accelerate. A weird feeling like the car gliding in air, and was equally scary too. We will have to be very careful when we start off with a 100% battery.
I think this is partly OEMs error ie Tata has to give a visual or audible warning about limited/no regenerative braking and maybe?! partly user error (for not reading the manual). I would recommend you to go through the Tata Nexon EV user manual (I could not find one online) to see if this is mentioned somewhere. If it is not even mentioned in the manual, that is pathetic for Tata motors. Btw, if there is no more energy storage capacity left (because it's fully charged) in the battery, regenerative braking cannot be used to charge. It is just simple to keep in mind, but still I can imagine a warning would be much useful to remind the user.

For eg. Tesla model 3 gives a warning when started with 96% or more battery charge that the regenerative braking is limited. Also mentioned in the user manual:
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-m3_manual.jpeg
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-j6dhzrzkch621.jpg

In some instances regenerative braking is completely disabled in cold weather.
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-download.jpeg

Last edited by carthick1000 : 23rd November 2020 at 17:09.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:48   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. Why does regen need to be disabled in cold weather?
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:31   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
It is because the battery cannot be charged below a certain temperature. Hence any regen power will have nowhere to go.
superguy282 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:45   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The internal resistance of Lithium ion batteries is very high at low temperatures. This means the power(speed at which energy is stored) handling is limited both ways (charging and discharging) and hence OEMs choose to limit or completely disable regenerative braking (sometimes charging and acceleration too) at low temperatures.

Simple overview: https://brakeexperts.com/why-is-rege...aking-limited/
Technical paper on temperature effects on Lithium ion batteries: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...02007118307536
An interesting read: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/why-car...-cold-weather/

Last edited by carthick1000 : 23rd November 2020 at 19:49.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 20:43   #255
Senior - BHPian

Regarding failure messages, with the inclusion of LCD screens, why cant they be more descriptive about it.
Older cars had only LEDs and could only print one static string. Why are they continuing without giving some extra details about the failure ?

Guess they have to run re-generation and heat up a coil instead to put load in cold weather

Last edited by srishiva : 23rd November 2020 at 21:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks