Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 09:03   #286
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Any merit in this article ? https://www.cartoq.com/tata-nexon-ev-range-boost/

I get a feeling that the SW was buggy and got updated but nothing essentially happened w.r.t range, can EV owners confirm?
Hi,

I was the one who made that video. That was just the case of my car. It was barely giving 150-160 kms range and after the software update I easily get 175-180 kms and can do 200 kms on a full charge. So 150-200 is a big improvement at least for me. Also I have Michelin tyres which have better grip and hence low efficiency. Maybe it can go further with MRF tyres. Will do a dedicated range test too in future videos. Nothing fishy about the video. Just my experience.

Last edited by classic86 : 10th December 2020 at 09:10. Reason: More info
classic86 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 09:17   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
Hi.
Excellent, glad to hear from horse's mouth! I did not suspect the authenticity but I couldn't understand if the message from this site was to hint that some hidden potential is unleashed by OTA update, nevertheless - thanks for offering clarity.

I am a fence sitter on EV purchase decision, while I am eager to have one for shorter runs, somehow feel that Tata offering is buggy and experimental. A real world range between 400 - 500 inspires confidence. I may wait for a year or two until that becomes reality. Altroz may even offer such numbers next year!
Old 10th December 2020, 10:00   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Excellent, glad to hear from horse's mouth! I did not suspect the authenticity but I couldn't understand if the message from this site was to hint that some hidden potential is unleashed by OTA update, nevertheless - thanks for offering clarity.

I am a fence sitter on EV purchase decision, while I am eager to have one for shorter runs, somehow feel that Tata offering is buggy and experimental. A real world range between 400 - 500 inspires confidence. I may wait for a year or two until that becomes reality. Altroz may even offer such numbers next year!
Not to burst the bubble but Altroz will have lesser range if released in a year because it can’t have bigger battery than Nexon. Also, 400-500 km range equates to almost 65-75 kw battery and that costs a lot in western markets itself. So let’s have our expectations grounded. Just so you are not disappointed.
classic86 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 20:25   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic86 View Post
Not to burst the bubble but Altroz will have lesser range if released in a year because it can’t have bigger battery than Nexon.
If it has a similar battery as Nexon, wouldn't it have a better real world range, say 250 odd kms? This is considering the overall drag of the vehicle will be lesser than Nexon as well as Altroz will be lighter than Nexon. A real world 250 km range shall be more than sufficient for majority of the users.

P.S- Saw my first Nexon EV here in Hosur today. White colour and what a sight to behold! Is it raised higher than the regular Nexon?

Last edited by jasjotbains : 10th December 2020 at 20:27.
jasjotbains is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:49   #290
BHPian

I enquired about spare charging cable from the Tata dealer and I got a quote for a whopping Rs30K. Should the charging cable cost that much?

It is just a 5M 2.5Sqmm 3 core (or may be 4Sqmm) cable with additional 2 signal wires with a control box and a CCS Connector. A similar 5M cable with a similar control box and an IEC connector for Mahindra E2O costs ~ Rs5000. The plan was to keep one spare cable in the car and fix the other charging cable permanently at home. I have similar setup for my E2O.
Old 15th December 2020, 00:12   #291
BANNED

I am seeing AC Wall charger with cable costing that much from Exicom. I couldn't find how much a portable charger costs online though.
Old 15th December 2020, 23:36   #292
BHPian

I have taken delivery of xz+ in glacier white. I swapped the stock MRF tyres with conti uc6 and the ride feels much better now. I also installed sensairy internal tpms during the swap. I am maintaining a tyre pressure of 34 which seems to be just about right. Can others please comment on what tyre pressure you are maintaining and your experiences with different PSIs. If anyone has found the optimal pressure yielding best balance between range and comfort, please share the same as well.

Thanks
Th!ru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 00:00   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I enquired about spare charging cable from the Tata dealer and I got a quote for a whopping Rs30K. Should the charging cable cost that much?

It is just a 5M 2.5Sqmm 3 core (or may be 4Sqmm) cable with additional 2 signal wires with a control box and a CCS Connector. A similar 5M cable with a similar control box and an IEC connector for Mahindra E2O costs ~ Rs5000. The plan was to keep one spare cable in the car and fix the other charging cable permanently at home. I have similar setup for my E2O.

IEC60309 connector of E2O is cheap. The62196 (CCS-2) plug is way more expensive. And controller circuits for CCS + margins. I don't think you'll find a decent 15A charger for less than 25K.

In US a 7Kw (30A) charger (without network connectivity) typically cost is about $500+, so India costs are likely to be 35K+
hkollar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:39   #294
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nexon EV bagged the Electric Car of the year award presented by Motorvikatan, Magazine of Tamil Nadu.

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-20201216_103644.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 14:50   #295
gus
BHPian

Had finalized the Nexon EV and called the sales guy to collect the cheque yesterday for Nexon EV but then he dropped a bomb.
The UP state gov has withdrawn all and any subsidy on EVs making the EVs now much more costlier than comparable ICE cars. :(

Had to cancel my plans to buy the EV. :'(

Back to square one !
gus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:52   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I think Tata may be asking for a bit more. You can get a third-party 7.2KW charger for ~23K from Brightblu. This price is by a Kona owner who purchased the Brightblu charger for that price.
sri_tesla is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 23:49   #297
BHPian

Hi everyone.
There has been a lot of talk about the new software update and the increase in mileage etc., so i tired to do a test to see if it had really made a difference and the max i could extract out of the Nexon EV, on a single full charge.

My daily commute is around 18 Kms each way. Very little traffic in the mornings where i am able to maintain a constant speed, with minimal breaking / stoppage.
Evening there is definitely much more traffic, the signals are working so usually have to stop at least a couple of times on the way back home.

The Nexon EV was fully charged on Sunday and I have been using it from Monday (14th) to Wednesday (16th) for my office commute.

I have found that the distance to empty is quite erratic and funnily enough the mileage during my morning run, is much lower that what is displayed at the end of the day, when i get back home.

Eg.
16th morning after reaching office - discharge in 169 kms with 64% remaining
(264 kms of a full charge)

16th evening after returning home - discharge in 173 kms with 58% remaining (298 kms on a full charge)
Odometer reading 113kms run with 58% battery remaining (269 on full charge)

As is evident though i drove around 18 kms, the distance remaining increased from 169 to 173, though the battery left decreased from 64% to 58%.

I observed the same thing on Monday and Tuesday as well, where the mileage was around 238 and 264 i the mornings vs 280+ at the end of the day (discharge in KMS / battery % remaining)

Though the road was empty i tried to maintain a steady 50 kmph speed in the morning, which i could manage most of the time as i though over speeding may be the reason for the lower mileage in the morning run, but even that did not seem to help.

On a positive side, the mileage seems to be increasing by the day as i learn to drive more sedately and between 45 an 55 kmph as far as possible and i think i would be able to achieve around 300+ kms on a full charge (without using the AC), if i go by the mileage displayed at the end of the day.

Can anyone help me understand why the mileage should be so much lower at the end of the morning run and has anyone else experience something similar?

Also adding some image from 14th morning - mileage 239 kms and from 15t evening - mileage 294. I unfortunately did not take pics of the respective evening and morning runs from these days. However i will be taking pics over the next couple of days and share an update during the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-16-morning.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-16-evening.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-odmeter.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-14-december-morning.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-15-evening.jpg  

umang dutt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 01:18   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Hi everyone.
There has been a lot of talk about the new software update and the increase in mileage etc., so i tired to do a test to see if it had really made a difference and the max i could extract out of the Nexon EV, on a single full charge.

My daily commute is around 18 Kms each way. Very little traffic in the mornings where i am able to maintain a constant speed, with minimal breaking / stoppage.
Evening there is definitely much more traffic, the signals are working so usually have to stop at least a couple of times on the way back home.
It seems to me that the "constant speed, with minimal breaking / stoppage" during the mornings doesn't let the car to do enough regeneration to make the DTE algorithm project a higher range. (Try to experiment by taking your foot of the pedal triggering regen frequently and see if the results change.) OTOH there must be more regeneration as there is traffic and stoppages on your return trip result in the jump in DTE. From my limited experience with the car, looks like the current algorithm is still a mixed bag and takes into account the last drive's characteristics rather than having a moving average weighing in on historical data over a larger period. It could be that it can't foresee what's the next drive(s) going to be like, and hence sticking to the immediate past drive characteristics. Until Tata can gather enough real time data and fine tune their algorithm, I think it is wise to ignore the DTE and only rely on the SOC and the ODO as markers with a general guideline of 2/2.5 km for a percent of charge.

Last edited by Th!ru : 17th December 2020 at 01:20. Reason: Reframed a sentence
Th!ru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 07:14   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
It seems to me that the "constant speed, with minimal breaking / stoppage" during the mornings doesn't let the car to do enough regeneration to make the DTE algorithm project a higher range. (Try to experiment by taking your foot of the pedal triggering regen frequently and see if the results change.) OTOH there must be more regeneration as there is traffic and stoppages on your return trip result in the jump in DTE.
I don't think artificially triggering regen will increase the range. Braking always results in loss of energy and there is always energy consumption in getting the speed back. Mileage of car going at constant speed will always be greater than a car braking frequently with or without regen. Of course for a car that has to brake frequently, mileage with regen enabled will be better than regen disabled. But artificially triggering regen will not help. I don't own an EV though. So I may be be wrong here.

I think there may be other factors at play here. EVs are even affected by ambient temperatures. Even the temperature during his morning commute can have an effect on the DTE.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 08:17   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I don't think artificially triggering regen will increase the range. Braking always results in loss of energy and there is always energy consumption in getting the speed back. Mileage of car going at constant speed will always be greater than a car braking frequently with or without regen. Of course for a car that has to brake frequently, mileage with regen enabled will be better than regen disabled. But artificially triggering regen will not help. I don't own an EV though. So I may be be wrong here.

I think there may be other factors at play here. EVs are even affected by ambient temperatures. Even the temperature during his morning commute can have an effect on the DTE.
My thoughts exactly.
from what i understand, regen can only reduce loss of energy and cannot actually help increase mileage. Ambient temperature can definitely be a factor, but given that i am from Ahmedabad the temperature does not go too low and is around 13-16'c in the mornings ...
umang dutt is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks