Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2023, 15:58   #1141

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Dear Friends,
I need some suggestion as I am a bit confused[understatement]. I'm planning to buy an EV, purely because i have started to dislike my 7 year old Polo Tsi after experiencing the pick up of the Nexon EV in Sport mode.

Fun facts:
1) Polo is doing great but will be given to missus as she too is a Polo fan and didnt make sense to have 2 in the same garage.
2) 90% of the time it will be driven solo.
3) Have a Jeep Compass for highway / family runs.
4) Daily commute is approximately 25-30 kms a day mainly in the city.
5) Will be used for minimum 5 years.

Confusion:
1) Go in for Current gen Nexon EV XZ+ LUX. Approx OTR after discounts = 17.5L. Im sure i can get a better deal once we sit to finalise.
2) Wait for the Punch EV. Expected in October / November as per most publications. Also, would be ideal for my daily city use. Expected OTR = 15L.
3) Go in for a Tiago EV. Which is sufficient but not a fan of its looks, so Mod it to look like the Tiago EV Blitz as shown in the Auto Expo. OTR after Mods = 13.5L.

Note: Have considered only the top end models of all as i usually always prefer to have all the possible features in my car.
Old 7th September 2023, 16:58   #1142
BHPian

Nexon ev facelift will be unveiled today so would suggest to wait for the prices to be announced on 14th September opt for the facelift version if budget permits & Punch.ev is confirmed likely by end of October !!
XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 13:14   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilvm4 View Post
Dear Friends,
I need some suggestion as I am a bit confused[understatement]. I'm planning to buy an EV, purely because i have started to dislike my 7 year old Polo Tsi after experiencing the pick up of the Nexon EV in Sport mode.

Fun facts:
1) Polo is doing great but will be given to missus as she too is a Polo fan and didnt make sense to have 2 in the same garage.
2) 90% of the time it will be driven solo.
3) Have a Jeep Compass for highway / family runs.
4) Daily commute is approximately 25-30 kms a day mainly in the city.
5) Will be used for minimum 5 years.

Confusion:
1) Go in for Current gen Nexon EV XZ+ LUX. Approx OTR after discounts = 17.5L. Im sure i can get a better deal once we sit to finalise.
2) Wait for the Punch EV. Expected in October / November as per most publications. Also, would be ideal for my daily city use. Expected OTR = 15L.
3) Go in for a Tiago EV. Which is sufficient but not a fan of its looks, so Mod it to look like the Tiago EV Blitz as shown in the Auto Expo. OTR after Mods = 13.5L.

Note: Have considered only the top end models of all as i usually always prefer to have all the possible features in my car.
I moved from the Vento Tsi to the MG ZS EV. I know what you are talking about when you say you want to move to an EV because of the acceleration. I suspect both the Tiago and the Punch will have lower power than the Nexon.

If I were you I would try and buy the outgoing Nexon EV XZ+ LUX now because the dealers will be trying to get rid of their inventory before the face lift comes in at a probably higher price.

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 8th September 2023 at 13:16. Reason: spelling
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2023, 16:23   #1144

The power might be lower on paper, but surprisingly the Tiago felt extremely nimble to drive.

Also, the outgoing Nexon is definitely on the radar. Already in touch with 2 dealers for any update on better deals.

One of them even went on to confirm that the best deal could be offered closer to the price reveal of the facelift.
Nikhilvm4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 15:28   #1145

Fellow teambhpians - any news on any upgrade to existing Nexon EVs’ softwares in the wake of the recently unveiled Nexon EV facelift?
Old 11th September 2023, 10:41   #1146
BANNED

There won't be. The changes such as new motor, new aero, regen changes all require hardware and they won't be retro fitted.
Old 11th September 2023, 12:30   #1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
There won't be. The changes such as new motor, new aero, regen changes all require hardware and they won't be retro fitted.
Cool. Thought so.

Also - any further details on the Vehicle to Vehicle charge thingy?

Guess it will have an adapter for the 15 amp plug leading to another CCS2 connector. If it works well - the Road side (charging) assistance for SOC dead EVs will get a massive boost. Slowly all the RSA vehicles would be just fully charged Nexon 2023 facelift vehicles and beyond.

Also - this move will kill the on-demand startups like hopcharge. What do you think?
Old 11th September 2023, 17:50   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlec View Post
Also - this move will kill the on-demand startups like hopcharge. What do you think?
I don't think so. Hopcharge carries a big battery which can charge more than 1 car. Also, it doesn't need the battery to drive itself. Nexon only carries a 40 KWH battery which it needs to runs as well. So yes it can provide emergency charge to a stuck user but running it as vehicle to charge other cars like Hopcharge is impossible
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 18:14   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
IIRC HopCharge uses Eecos equipped with battery bank and DCFC. Slow charging does not make a business case here because the V2V is limited to 5kW only.

They may (huge may) offer a cheaper tier for AC charging but it would still have limited business case given that

1. Even DC fast charging isn’t prohibitively expensive to make users opt for AC slow for cost consideration

2. Someone who’s in desperate need of Herve would want a fast charge, since AC charging can happen at any 15A socket anyway. The fact that someone is calling HopCharge means they need fast charge (majorly)
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:52   #1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I don't think so. Hopcharge carries a big battery which can charge more than 1 car. Also, it doesn't need the battery to drive itself. Nexon only carries a 40 KWH battery which it needs to runs as well. So yes it can provide emergency charge to a stuck user but running it as vehicle to charge other cars like Hopcharge is impossible
You make sense, brother. But for people like us who have a slow charger at home and were thinking to get a hopcharge annual subscription just to avoid a rare case of SOC collapse and getting stuck on the city roads - V2V changes things to a great extent. Another reason for camaraderie with fellow EV owners in the city.
KingAlec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 15:41   #1151

Another query for the veteran Nexon EV owners here.

Context: I own a Nexon EV Prime XZ+ . I have a 3.2kW AC charger (regular, type 2 port) installed at my home which serves almost 99% of my charging usage. However, there are special times in which I would want to top up the car at office before heading home - just to be safe.

My office has a fleet of 6 MG ZS EV vehicles and has their slow chargers installed in the office parking. The kW rating is 7.5kW - however the port is the same as that of nexon, i.e. Type 2 connector.

Question: Can I top up my nexon EV Prime using the MG ZS EV chargers of my office? I understand that Nexon's onboard charging is restricted to 3.2kW. Speed of charging is not a problem for me - am happy to get the restricted 3.2kW charging from those 7.2 kW chargers of MG ZS EVs. I just dont want the MG ZS EV chargers frying up the 3.2kW onboard charging circuitry of my nexon ev prime. Can anybody confirm whether it is okay to go ahead? Don't want to commit a rookie mistake.
Old 15th September 2023, 16:37   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody confirm whether it is okay to go ahead? Don't want to commit a rookie mistake.
I have a Tesla model 3 (which has a 11kW onboard charger) and charge almost everyday at a Type 2 charging location (which can supply upto 22kW). It is no problem, because the charger and car are both type2 AC charger compatible. I have also used chargers of a model X and BMW 330e plugin sometimes, for the same reason you mentioned (sharing charging point at work).

From an electrical engineering standpoint, your BMS requests the power (current * voltage) needed based on the designed onboard charger ie it only requests a maximum of 3.2kW, even if the charger is capable of supplying more. Moreover if both are not compatible, the charging won’t start. These charging systems are quite robust and have a foolproof design.

PS : There is no reason for Tata and MG to deviate from Type 2 connector specifications. It is an IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) standard.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 15th September 2023 at 16:50.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 16:48   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Question: Can I top up my nexon EV Prime using the MG ZS EV chargers of my office? I understand that Nexon's onboard charging is restricted to 3.2kW. Speed of charging is not a problem for me - am happy to get the restricted 3.2kW charging from those 7.2 kW chargers of MG ZS EVs. I just dont want the MG ZS EV chargers frying up the 3.2kW onboard charging circuitry of my nexon ev prime. Can anybody confirm whether it is okay to go ahead? Don't want to commit a rookie mistake.
Yes you can very well charge your car with 7.2 KW charger. The charger is maximum rated to 7.2 KW. The output will always depends on the voltage and current your car draws. It is similar to a fast charger, if you put your car on a 50 KW charger doesn't mean it will provide 50 KW load to the car by default.
ferrarirules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 15:14   #1154
BHPian

Friends, I am in the market for an EV (as a 2nd car in the household) and currently contemplating between TiagoEV LR / eC3 / Nexon EV Creative MR. Have a question, have received price quotes from few Tata/Citroen dealers where an amount close to 23-24K is marked as ‘Road Tax & Registration’ charges (and the amount is CONSTANT across variants!). But aren’t these charges ZERO for EVs currently? The Sales Advisors naturally are defending that charge (but I am sceptical of their knowledge level obviously). I am from Kolkata and as per the following link, WB govt is not going to charge RT+Reg charges till 31-Mar-2024. Can you guys throw any light / is it something very silly which I am asking?

https://transport.wb.gov.in/wp-conte...87-wt_0001.pdf
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/91844781.cms
Old 22nd September 2023, 20:02   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselOmaniac View Post
Can you guys throw any light / is it something very silly which I am asking?

https://transport.wb.gov.in/wp-conte...87-wt_0001.pdf
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/91844781.cms
Your link of Govt. notification shows clearly that they should not charge you the registration fees and road tax. I think the dealer is either unaware (which I doubt) or using this trick to charge the naive clients wrongfully. Pls do consult with any other dealer in your city or neighboring cities.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks