Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2022, 13:05   #1021
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav87 View Post
Hello everyone!

Our Ford Ecosport AT is in its last legs, so we had been looking for a new automatic car -
Ecosport Titanium AT? Please hang on to it till the nuts and bolts start falling off. If it has been trouble free so far, I can assure you that you will struggle to find a comparable vehicle that does not cost AT LEAST twice as much. Also genuine Ford parts are widely available including in Boodmo etc, so any competent independent garage should be able to service your vehicle.

I have a a Titanium AT. I plan to keep it as long as it lasts. Of course, if you are bored of it, and want to spend money anyways, there are many options in the 25-30 lakh range which is where you will find comparable safety features.
Contrapunto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 14:22   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco_boost View Post
UPDATE 6/12/22

He explained about updating the BMS ( Battery management system ) or something like that.
He blamed the incident on my charging pattern and advised to take the charge to as low as 20% every week and always charge back to 100%
He mentioned cell balancing takes place between 95-100% and it’s important for the car.
All nonsense reasons. Dont trust a word anything service center folk tell about charging or any of these bugs. They know nothing.

This would have been a stupid bug in the BMS which no one has any clue about and they probably just reset it.

The only thing to note is that Nexon has an LFP battery which can be taken to 100% often. However bringing it down to 20% might not be the greatest thing to do.
The thing about balancing, BMS should keep cells balanced so long as you are only charging on AC. However after a few DC charges, the cells might become unbalanced and you might want to balance it. Again, unbalanced cells will only reduce your range a little bit and should not cause some catastrophic failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post

Ideally, one would expect the customer service management team of the company to apologise for facing a breakdown in a brand new EV, and then getting blamed for it by the dealership. But this is TML, and they probably have different priorities. A reliable car or a satisfied customer are not on that list.
The 80% rule applies for NMC batteries. Nexon has LFP batteries which are more resilient to higher SOC levels. Regularly taking it to 100% wont affect the battery too much. DC charging will be a little slower but Nexon should be able to charge at about 21kW till 90-95%.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th December 2022 at 03:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged
lina is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 16:59   #1023
BHPian

Quote:

6) Tamil Nadu offers Road Tax waiver only till 31.12.2022, and I am not sure if this will be continued in future. Should I take delivery of the car within this month itself or should I wait for the new year so that the RC reads 2023. Since, I am not sure about the Road Tax waiver being continued, I feel like I shouldn't risk it and get the car delivered at the earliest.
Whoa, this is huge. Dreading the day this stops in Karnataka as well.

I feel you should get the car ASAP, getting a 2023 stamp on RC is very trivial compared to saving 1-2 Lakhs.
TheRandomGuy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 18:46   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

6) Tamil Nadu offers Road Tax waiver only till 31.12.2022, and I am not sure if this will be continued in future. Should I take delivery of the car within this month itself or should I wait for the new year so that the RC reads 2023. Since, I am not sure about the Road Tax waiver being continued, I feel like I shouldn't risk it and get the car delivered at the earliest.

Thank you all in advance and I wish everyone a safe and issue free driving experience!
Please remember that registration year means nothing. Manufacturing year is what is considered for car's age during a resale. So I don't think there is anything to gain by waiting for 2023 unless you are getting a 2023 manufactured car.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 9th December 2022 at 18:49.
Aviator_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 23:44   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!

We just booked an XZ+ Dark version today in Chennai.
The total cost came out to Rs.16.7 lakh for the XZ+ Dark variant.

3) I am not a super rough driver; I drive sedately most of the time but do enjoy pushing the car a little bit from time to time (if the roads are empty or on the highways). So, should I get the stock MRF tyres replaced by the Michelin Primacy 4ST ones as posted by some of the posters? If yes, can someone let me know the cost details?

5) I have learned about multiple regen levels and one foot driving (guessing that's done on regen level 3). Any guides regarding the same?

6) Tamil Nadu offers Road Tax waiver only till 31.12.2022, and I am not sure if this will be continued in future. Should I take delivery of the car within this month itself or should I wait for the new year so that the RC reads 2023.
You have got yourself a good deal. I am sure these discounts will reduce post new year + Price Hike

- Stock tyres provide adequate grip at city speeds. However not very confidence inspiring at 80 kmph+ and wet conditions. Expect Michelins to cost around 9- 10k each. I have skipped the upgrade due to the additional cost involved. Also do not want to mess up with the stock setup.

- One pedal driving is possible with regeneration set at 3. Very useful and convenient for bumper to bumper traffic. Helps to increase the range and preserved our brake pads. You will get used to it within minutes. I have become addicted to it

- I would recommend you make a visit to the RTO and confirm the same. Also check with the dealer about pricing for 2023 manufactured car. I would suggest you to go for 2023 manufactured car only if the price increase is not more than 30k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
I would be very interested in your feedback Eco_boost. I am on the fence on purchasing an EV. However I had faced this exact same issue in my E2O ownership earlier. Then the Mahindra guys informed to mandatorily follow two practices:
1. Always charge your e2o once in 3 days to 100% for BMS to do cell re-balancing
2. Always let the car discharge till about 20%

I was hoping that on more modern cars these issues will not be there so I will keep my hopes up still and look for your experience in future. Please do keep the forum posted.
I can understand your concern. I have planned a long drive for the coming weekend. Will update the thread soon once I hit 1000 kms ( Breakdown happened at 420 kms) Barring this issue, my ownership so far has been very rewarding. The silence and economy an EV offers is unmatched. If you have the budget go for the MAX. It's a Gen 2 Nexon EV hopefully with improved electricals. It would have been my choice too if it weren't for the subsidy on Prime. Do checkout the Hyrider Hybrid as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
All nonsense reasons. Dont trust a word anything service center folk tell about charging or any of these bugs. They know nothing.

This would have been a stupid bug in the BMS which no one has any clue about and they probably just reset it.

The only thing to note is that Nexon has an LFP battery which can be taken to 100% often. However bringing it down to 20% might not be the greatest thing to do.
The thing about balancing, BMS should keep cells balanced so long as you are only charging on AC. However after a few DC charges, the cells might become unbalanced and you might want to balance it. Again, unbalanced cells will only reduce your range a little bit and should not cause some catastrophic failure.
I just hope that the bug has gone for good. I did not know about the LFP part, relieved to know that constant recharging to 100% will not affect the battery health so much.
Old 10th December 2022, 00:14   #1026
BHPian

EV buyers today are test mules. Unreliable charging infra, charging "pattern" related problems, fires that can't be extinguished easily, strange errors, range anxiety.. too many things to keep it from being as reliable as a regular petrol/diesel/gas ICE.

I'm not saying that we should discourage EVs, rather, encourage professional users to adopt them first, as they are better equipped to deal with issues.
dsr001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 00:28   #1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post

I have a a Titanium AT. I plan to keep it as long as it lasts. Of course, if you are bored of it, and want to spend money anyways, there are many options in the 25-30 lakh range which is where you will find comparable safety features.

I'm not bored of the Ecosport AT (yes, it's Titanium) but the car has taken some damage in the hands of my dad. However it's being handed over to my partner, so it'll stay within the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post
Whoa, this is huge. Dreading the day this stops in Karnataka as well.

I feel you should get the car ASAP, getting a 2023 stamp on RC is very trivial compared to saving 1-2 Lakhs.
Thank you, that's what I felt as well. I am being offered a car manufactured in June, 2022.. Do you think a 6 month gap is ok, not sure if it being an EV makes it better or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
Please remember that registration year means nothing. Manufacturing year is what is considered for car's age during a resale. So I don't think there is anything to gain by waiting for 2023 unless you are getting a 2023 manufactured car.

Thank you. Will take delivery before year end... Also if you don't mind may I ask if you would you take delivery of a car manufactured in June 2022?
Old 10th December 2022, 02:43   #1028
BHPian

For Tata EVs with LFP batteries if you follow the following charging dos, you will reduce chances of getting any battery related issues and especially the D2N safety error

- Always charge to 100%. Dont stop before that as the BMS balances the cells at the end of the cycle. If you are using a fast charger and there's a queue behind you after 85% shift to the slow charger as the charging speed after 80-85% reduces to as charging from a slow charger. Someone else can use the fast charger while you reach 100% on a slow charger
- Once a month go below 10%. The lower you can go the better. I go till 3%. This ensures most of your battery cells discharge and get charged and balanced again in the next charge. This has helped prevent the D2N error for most
- Else most of the time once you discharge to 20% you can charge to 100%
- For fast charging, try and use the 25kW chargers for the Nexon Prime and the 50kW chargers for Nexon Max. Some users have faced issues with higher kW chargers leading to welding contractor error. There's an easy fix for that but have to take the car to the service centre to clear the flag

All of the above are general rules thru experience the community has identified by trail and error and has helped eliminate battery and BMS related problems by far

There will always be one off issues if a component fails or a battery cell dies, but overall there's good confidence and stability now with the Tata EVs especially if you follow the above rules

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 12:11   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
For Tata EVs with LFP batteries if you follow the following charging dos, you will reduce chances of getting any battery related issues and especially the D2N safety error

- Always charge to 100%. Dont stop before that as the BMS balances the cells at the end of the cycle. If you are using a fast charger and there's a queue behind you after 85% shift to the slow charger as the charging speed after 80-85% reduces to as charging from a slow charger. Someone else can use the fast charger while you reach 100% on a slow charger
- Once a month go below 10%. The lower you can go the better. I go till 3%. This ensures most of your battery cells discharge and get charged and balanced again in the next charge. This has helped prevent the D2N error for most
- Else most of the time once you discharge to 20% you can charge to 100%
- For fast charging, try and use the 25kW chargers for the Nexon Prime and the 50kW chargers for Nexon Max. Some users have faced issues with higher kW chargers leading to welding contractor error. There's an easy fix for that but have to take the car to the service centre to clear the flag

All of the above are general rules thru experience the community has identified by trail and error and has helped eliminate battery and BMS related problems by far

There will always be one off issues if a component fails or a battery cell dies, but overall there's good confidence and stability now with the Tata EVs especially if you follow the above rules

Cheers
This is more or less what Tata recommends, in the QnA with plugin India. One minor point, going below 10% is every 3rd or 4th charge cycle or at least once a month I think.

Old 10th December 2022, 15:29   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thank you. Will take delivery before year end... Also if you don't mind may I ask if you would you take delivery of a car manufactured in June 2022?
Depends..Is the model you are buying has a waiting list? In that case, I'd ask a question why the car was sitting with dealer for past six months? Has there been any feautre updates from June to now which you might be missing out by going for June model? Also, it is year end and car is sitting with the dealer so I see good opportunity to negotiate on discounts/freebies. Also please do a thorough PDI. Personally speaking I would have been in two minds, considering it is 6 months old car.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 10th December 2022 at 15:40.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 15:10   #1031
BHPian

I can understand the frustration a new car owner feels when facing such a issue but EV technology is new for everyone including manufacturer and dealer network. Like run down in an ICE vehicle, the battery and BMS might need to calibrate itself for first few charges and hence charging to 100% SoC and leaving it plugged in (and discharging sufficiently before charging again) seems to be a good idea for new vehicles. Moreover SoC can be a relative term solely reported by the BMS and should not be used in absolute terms. Each battery chemistry and configuration may have different voltage range and BMS merely reports based on that and calibration. Manufacturers may reserve some capacity at one or both ends of voltage range hence Charging advice based on SoC itself is pointless. A manufactures has better understanding of this and should be the best advisor. Unfortunately, car sales people are the worst advisors at least in India about anything. Better to follow the user manual in my humble opinion.
Old 11th December 2022, 23:31   #1032
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruichladdich View Post
I'm glad you informed about this. They told me Nexon EV XZ+ will take 6 months and Dark Edition will take 3 months. I know someone who recently bought Tata Harrier from Inderjit so hopefully keeping my fingers crossed but I guess time will tell. I really hope you get your car soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshrawat9 View Post
I told them hat I am ready to purchase dark edition of XZ+, if it ensures similar delivery time. I was told waiting for dark edition is also same.

I don't know whether the delay is city/state specific or is same throughout India. Other members in this forum who would have booked their car in November/December may confirm.

I am looking to possibly purchase Tiago automatic from Inderjit Motors. On a quick forum search, I came across your posts. Can you please share your experience with that dealership and if it is the same as their outlet in Andheri near Infiniti mall? Any references there would help as well especially senior/manager.
Old 13th December 2022, 10:21   #1033

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k View Post
I am looking to possibly purchase Tiago automatic from Inderjit Motors. On a quick forum search, I came across your posts. Can you please share your experience with that dealership and if it is the same as their outlet in Andheri near Infiniti mall? Any references there would help as well especially senior/manager.
My experience with them is extremely disappointing. I am still chasing them for basic things like a proper invoice. I would suggest to avoid them at any cost but in case you have to, you may speak to Mr. Shakeel there.
ashutoshrawat9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 20:09   #1034
y2k
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshrawat9 View Post
My experience with them is extremely disappointing. I am still chasing them for basic things like a proper invoice. I would suggest to avoid them at any cost but in case you have to, you may speak to Mr. Shakeel there.
Thanks for the honest response. My experience with them is turning out to be similar already while I am still in the enquiry and test drive phase. It is so disappointing because the place is so close to where I stay and I was ready to purchase Tiago. Now I am reconsidering the decision. The only other Tata showroom in this part (rather close but in western side) of Mumbai also has terrible reviews on the internet.
Old 28th December 2022, 16:03   #1035
Senior - BHPian

shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks