Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2022, 14:07   #871
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I took delivery of my Tata Nexon XZ+ Dark Edition.

I had taken the test drive before but it was a short ride. I was really impressed how the car drives. I actually don't have much words to express. Somehow I found it brilliant. The eco/normal mode drive is just perfect. There's right amount of acceleration and regeneration. It's got fine torque, exactly the right amount you need in city drives. I was blown away.

But there's one big minus point, the brakes. They're not the best. They're not bad but they're not the best. One has to brake early if you're on a high speed, especially on sports mode. Well, sports mode is a beast. Other than brakes, the driving is simply soothing and perfect for city. It's a very smooth ride too with right suspension tuning and comfort. Ground clearance kills it as potholes are not a problem for Nexon EV at all.

Quality is nice. I like the leatherette door pads and seats. Hard plastics are better than average in dashboard. Piano black plastic is average. Harman speakers are very good. Overall there are places where quality can be improved but let's be honest, at this price you get quality what you pay for. If you're spoilt with luxury cars, you will find this car very much decent with quality overall. But nothing looks cheap or low quality anywhere so that's a good thing.

I felt the infotainment system screen size could be little bigger. Felt very compact cause every detail is on screen. Even when you switch on the A/C, it shows on screen. There's no light for on/off on A/C physical button (at least I'm not aware of). A/C works fantastic. It doesn't cool but it chills inside even with 1 number of fan speed. Very comfortable seats, especially at the rear. Believe me, it's better than Audi A4 real seats also. I know, hard to digest but I am telling you, the comfort is very good. Didn't like rear arm rest cup holders at all. They should have kept it simple. I do use rear arm rest cup holders a lot since I drink coffee, red bull etc very often.

Other than that, the car overall is very practical and solid. I love the storage space given in the middle and the glove box space is very spacious. It's a great EV car. I am very impressed with the driving and overall comfort.

One thing I would definitely want to point out. It's Tata 2.0. I've grown up looking at rubbish interior plastics of Tata which I always disliked. My uncle always use to buy Tata cars and I never liked them. This is my first Tata car and I'm very impressed how they have come long way and I wish them lots of success and improvements ahead. Make India proud. Tata cars now don't feel cheap at all and it's very much like any other car manufacturers like Honda, Hyundai, Maruti etc.

If I had to rate the car overall at initial impression, I would give 7.5/10
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-img_2977.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 11th July 2022 at 17:36. Reason: Word replaced
Bruichladdich is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 13:32   #872
BHPian

No matter how much I want to forget that tata is not what it used to be, and the fact that Tata 2.0 is here, the experience at Tata dealerships is still far from the standards other manufacturers provide

I think I too assumed that Tata has improved and went ahead with the booking of Tata Max at its Mohali dealership, PMG Mohali Automobiles, sec 82.

I had given booking amount a couple of days before actual announcement Maxx, in month of May. On the condition that I should be first in queue for the new upgraded model.

My sales contact, Mr. Yashpal has been constantly telling me that I would be first to get the car since I am first in queue.

Today, I have found out that they have already sold a Maxx a week before to somebody from Delhi. That is actually out of state.

While I have been patiently waiting for car, these people are selling cars in black and other city.

This happened inspite of my repeated follow ups, requests for transparency and good faith.

For once again after Indica experience decades back, I tried to convince myself that Tata is not of what it used to be. I ignored all the negative experiences of other bhpians at the hands of Tata. Thinking that some mistakes do happen and every dealership is not the same.

But sales persons sweet taking to me and than brazenly lying to me. Not giving complete picture. I understand if there is production problem. But selling cars out of queue is basically cheating. I wonder if there is way to escalate this. And if in case I can approach somebody in Tata other than this dealer and get exact status on.my car.

I had given my booking amount early May,when max was not even officially announced.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 9th July 2022 at 13:34.
wanderhermit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 13:40   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
No matter how much I want to forget that tata is not what it used to be, and the fact that Tata 2.0 is here, the experience at Tata dealerships is still far from the standards other manufacturers provide
I totally agree with you. I think Tata has the worst dealership experience out of all the car manufacturers. It's pathetic. I was very lucky to get the car before time. It was a random call to them which made it possible.

Whoever is looking to purchase Tata cars, be prepared for a rollercoaster ride by the dealers.
Bruichladdich is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:31   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruichladdich View Post
I totally agree with you. I think Tata has the worst dealership experience out of all the car manufacturers. It's pathetic. I was very lucky to get the car before time. It was a random call to them which made it possible.

Whoever is looking to purchase Tata cars, be prepared for a rollercoaster ride by the dealers.
Now, after a long time, Tata has come up with an awesome product in market. Way better than competitors. And being Indian, I think it is our duty to promote our own people. But dealership experience is still a long way. Japanese and Koreans operating in India are way ahead. Even Mahindra is improving in customer centric focus.

No wonder how much I want to put my faith and money on brand Tata, the harsh truth of reality feels like a tight slap across face.

Ya, my car has been delivered to somebody else.

Now,

1. I have to wait more

2. Plus may be pay new price after hike of ~rs 65k

And yes, the first Max from PMG Mohali was billed at lower price. This is despite booking the car well before launch date.

Not sure if I really wanna bet my 21 lac on Tata car. I am having second thoughts.

Any advise or help in this regard.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 12th July 2022 at 17:37.
wanderhermit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:14   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Not sure if I really wanna bet my 21 lac on Tata car. I am having second thoughts.

Any advise or help in this regard.
I was in the same dilemma. I felt my whole savings and calculations of buying Nexon EV got messed up with 21 lakhs Max price and not getting subsidy for Dark Edition. It's not that I wouldn't end up saving but it would be 4-5 lakhs less and I wasn't looking for a feature loaded car anyway.

So I spoke to my wife, if she would be interested for Tata Tiger EV and based on our calculations and with huge savings, we thought let's just go with that since we already have Audi A4 for all the bells and whistles.

I called up my Tata dealer and he told me not to go for Tigor EV and that we will give me Dark Edition EV with subsidy that I was looking for. I was very surprised because he told me before subsidy is over.

Anyways, I told him book it right away and I'll make the payment very next day because I didn't want to miss out on this deal.

----

My opinion, you will end up saving on EV car for sure but if you buy any ICE car less than 10 lakhs on road, the savings will be very less. So if you find a nice car less than 10 lakhs, then why not!
Bruichladdich is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:16   #876
BHPian

Hi everyone, I have been contemplating on getting a EV since the last 3 months. I drove a friends XZ+ Dark edition and was floored by the performance, cost of running and silence an EV offers.

I currently have 3 cars at home. A pre-owned Hexa, which is for long drives and outstations trips with my kids. This car I plan on keeping long term.

2nd is a VW Ameo DSG diesel which was bought in December 2018 and still have one year EMI pending on it. When I bought the Ameo I had got 6 year extended warranty for fuss free ownership. I use this car daily for my office commute which is 10kms one way. The Ameo is done about 28,000 kms.

3rd is a Honda Brio manual which was bought in 2015. The car is sparingly used by my spouse and hardly does about 100-150kms a month. This has done about 27,000 kms

If I plan to get the Nexon EV, I need to sell one of the vehicles, due to parking constraint. I went and test drove the Nexon EV and was informed that they still have the subsidy of INR 1.5 lacs going on for the XZ+ and XZ+ dark edition. Final cost quoted to me for this variant was INR 15.81 lacs on road Mumbai.

Now the question is which vehicle to let go between the Ameo and Brio. Tata gave me a quote of 1.75 lacs for the Brio which I feel is way lesser than the market price. Cars24 is quoting 2.5 lacs, however their inspection is pending. I am slightly reluctant to let go of the Ameo before 6 years of ownership as this may be the last good DGS diesel we may get hands on. Also I love the driving experience of the Ameo.

Coming to Nexon EV variants, I was shocked to see that there is no Park "P" on the gearbox of the Nexon EV. The same is provided in the Nexon EV Max. This is one big reason I would want to go with the Max. However there are no subsidies on Max models and the differential is almost 4-5 lacs between Nexon EV XZ+ dark edition and Nexon EV Max XZ+ and for me that difference is not worth. My parking is on a slope and solely relying on the handbrake is worrisome for me. I have seen handbrake failures in the past and cannot solely rely on the handbrake for parking. Could existing EV owners throw some light on this?

Would love other members thought on this.
BHPjunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 19:54   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHPjunkie View Post
Hi everyone, I have been contemplating on getting a EV since the last 3 months. I drove a friends XZ+ Dark edition and was floored by the performance, cost of running and silence an EV offers.

I currently have 3 cars at home. A pre-owned Hexa, which is for long drives and outstations trips with my kids. This car I plan on keeping long term.

2nd is a VW Ameo DSG diesel which was bought in December 2018 and still have one year EMI pending on it. When I bought the Ameo I had got 6 year extended warranty for fuss free ownership. I use this car daily for my office commute which is 10kms one way. The Ameo is done about 28,000 kms.

3rd is a Honda Brio manual which was bought in 2015. The car is sparingly used by my spouse and hardly does about 100-150kms a month. This has done about 27,000 kms

If I plan to get the Nexon EV, I need to sell one of the vehicles, due to parking constraint. I went and test drove the Nexon EV and was informed that they still have the subsidy of INR 1.5 lacs going on for the XZ+ and XZ+ dark edition. Final cost quoted to me for this variant was INR 15.81 lacs on road Mumbai.

Now the question is which vehicle to let go between the Ameo and Brio. Tata gave me a quote of 1.75 lacs for the Brio which I feel is way lesser than the market price. Cars24 is quoting 2.5 lacs, however their inspection is pending. I am slightly reluctant to let go of the Ameo before 6 years of ownership as this may be the last good DGS diesel we may get hands on. Also I love the driving experience of the Ameo.

Coming to Nexon EV variants, I was shocked to see that there is no Park "P" on the gearbox of the Nexon EV. The same is provided in the Nexon EV Max. This is one big reason I would want to go with the Max. However there are no subsidies on Max models and the differential is almost 4-5 lacs between Nexon EV XZ+ dark edition and Nexon EV Max XZ+ and for me that difference is not worth. My parking is on a slope and solely relying on the handbrake is worrisome for me. I have seen handbrake failures in the past and cannot solely rely on the handbrake for parking. Could existing EV owners throw some light on this?

Would love other members thought on this.
You nailed it.

If I have to drive Gen 1 Nexon, it's actually a breeze and I adjusted in few minutes. But as a family car, it also has to be driven by my mother, She also took a test drive. And she only compared to her current car ( CRV At).

And she pointed out the following:

1. No P mode

2. Agressive regen compared to CRV

3. Compulsory use of hand brake lever. Since she is old, flicking a button to engage parking brakes is a boon.

4. No hill hold

So actually, I went for Max not for range but because of above reasons.

Since I am used to drive multiple vehicles including my Gypsy, I did not even observe these small differences. But somebody used to current AT ice engined variant, it is a deal breaker not to have these features.

If I get a gen 1 car with these feature, I would actually want to go for short range model, cause anything that goes around 150 km is more than sufficient for a car which will be used only in city.

And of course, I can use my existing ice cars for highways as always.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 12th July 2022 at 19:58.
wanderhermit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2022, 13:31   #878
BHPian

Hi All,

Took the EV to Lonavala for a wedding at Della adventures. Was a bit skeptical as Della guys said they would not be 100 percent sure if I would be able to charge the car overnight since there are only a limited slots and it would be on first come first serve basis. But i did get to charge the car easily without much of an effort and the drive was effortless and smooth. I barely use the car for highway drives. It’s my T-Roc that does the highway duties at my place. Coming from that VAG to this I felt the presence of some body roll at highway speeds and the stability seems to be a tad low compared to the VAG. I thought of it as a compromise that I would have to go through if I need to cover a KM in lesser than a rupee compared to ₹8-9 which I usually pay for my petrol T-Roc.
I recently completed 40,000km on the car and it’s been a crazy experience so far!
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-31dd152939a5490cb9103d8b8750cef9.jpeg

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-94aaabb9fb1c48139e9f415f246e5ffb.jpeg
BikeDevil44 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 11:17   #879

Though i have booked a nexon ev max and really liked its test drive, especially the acceleration in sports mode , i am having serious second thoughts about it in the recent days.
Chief doubts are -
Regarding its looks, as i have been seeing multiple videos of ev's priced marginally more than the max , but with much better streamlined looks. The nexon ev has a very awkward appearance from the sides and the rear.
Secondly 60 kwh battery packs are the norm in the mature markets and these are cars with comparable prices, maybe 20 % more. Do i want to be stuck with a ev with 40 kwh , when the deluge of ev's is expected to start in India from 2023 , with higher packs ?
3rd is the charging speed restricted to 50 kw, when 150 kw is again the norm in the west. Videos of 20 min charging stops to 80 % are common on YouTube.
And last is the rear leg space , i am a pretty tall guy , 6'4 and though i will drive it once on a while, most of the times our driver will be in the driver's seat and us in the rear seats.

To sum it up , we have 2 cars at home , bought in 2019 and 2020 . They have run for 18k and 20 k respectively. This ev was to be a enthusiast buy , not for work , since i work from home.
Totally questioning my need to indulge in this buy at this moment.
Old 18th July 2022, 19:30   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maint1234 View Post
60 kwh battery packs are the norm in the mature markets and these are cars with comparable prices, maybe 20 % more. Do i want to be stuck with a ev with 40 kwh , when the deluge of ev's is expected to start in India from 2023 , with higher packs ? 3rd is the charging speed restricted to 50 kw, when 150 kw is again the norm in the west. Videos of 20 min charging stops to 80 % are common on YouTube..
60KWh batteries would cost a lot more. Kia EV6 is available for around 65 lakhs in India if you are willing to pay more for a larger battery pack. Coming to Nexon EV, the Max variant does NOT charge at 50KW. It's maximum charge rate is only 30KW while the older Nexon is limited to 22KW. Tata only provided a charge time on a 50KW charger. They did not say it can charge at 50KW. Various tests have found that the maximum cjarge rate is 30KW. In any case, we don't have any really fast chargers available in India. Most are 25 to 50KW and a few are 60KW. In reality, it doesn't make a lot of difference as you will not be charging from 0 to 100%. Most of the time, you can top up from say 30 to 80% in around 30 to 40 minutes. You need at least that much time to go have some lunch or a cup of tea. In addition, due to extreme heat in India, I prefer using a 25 to 30KW charger vs a 50 or 60 one whenever possible. Battery temperature goes really high when using 50 or 60KW on a hot day.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 19:54   #881

@lobogris, can't quote you at the moment, low post count , but here is a link to the official tata site -
https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/features/#nexonevmax
Clearly mention a charging rate of 50 kw.
Ofcourse you need a charger of minimum 50 kw , which is not throttled deliberately or throttled by use of another charger in parallel.
I acknowledge a lack of 50 kw chargers but we will retain a ev for atleast 5 years. I expect a surge in chargers of 50 kw and more in the next 5 years.
Still not cancelled my max though.
Old 18th July 2022, 20:51   #882
BHPian

Quote:
@lobogris, can't quote you at the moment, low post count , but here is a link to the official tata site -
Ofcourse you need a charger of minimum 50 kw , which is not throttled deliberately or throttled by use of another charger in parallel.
I acknowledge a lack of 50 kw chargers but we will retain a ev for atleast 5 years. I expect a surge in chargers of 50 kw and more in the next 5 years.
Hey guys. Just a point, the charge rate is limited based on Ambient temperature and Battery remaining charge.

The tests on 50kw all seem to be done from 50% and not from 0%. So of course at that SOC the charge rate will be less than 50kw. So depends on your location and SOC.

Don't be discouraged by this. Tata can also release update for improving the rate of charge.
Old 19th July 2022, 10:09   #883
BHPian

Quote:
It never mentions the charging speed of the car. Only mentions if connected to a 50kW charger. Do the math on the stats claimed. 80% in 56 miniutes means an average speed of 32kW. If thats the case and like you believe, the battery can charge at 50kW, then theres a good enough band where the car is charging at <30kW. The tests however show that the car charges at 30kW after 50%, so I highly doubt it is charging at 50kW at any time. In real life, you will mostly charge it post 40 or 50% on a highway and that means you will be stuck at a slow charging speed most of the time.
Old 21st July 2022, 10:47   #884

Just a thought for the original nexon ev owners , who miss having a Max type 7.2 kw AC charging option at home - you can always get a 3rd party DC charger of 7.2 kw or higher , fitted at home. As long as your connected supply allows.
It increases cost of ownership but it could be a useful option for people with the nexon ev as their only car and want their car to be topped up as fast as possible at home.
Has anyone gone in for this option ?
Old 21st July 2022, 11:53   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanths3 View Post
Hey guys. Just a point, the charge rate is limited based on Ambient temperature and Battery remaining charge.

The tests on 50kw all seem to be done from 50% and not from 0%. So of course at that SOC the charge rate will be less than 50kw. So depends on your location and SOC.

Don't be discouraged by this. Tata can also release update for improving the rate of charge.

I think this should help. Zeoncharging has shared the Charging curve of major EVs.
Nexon EV max charges at about 32KW even on a 50KW fast charger. Also attached are the charging rate of Nexon, Hyundai Kona and MG ZS EV
Attached Thumbnails
Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-max-1.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-nexon-1.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-kona.jpg  

Review: The Tata Nexon EV-zs-1.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks