Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2023, 16:19   #796
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Team... I am planning to go for an EV (MG ZS EV). I live in an apartment with no slow charging possible.
My plan is to charge every week /biweekly at a fast charger near my home.
Will this process have any negative effects on battery?
pram_ind is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 08:48   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pram_ind View Post
Team... I am planning to go for an EV (MG ZS EV). I live in an apartment with no slow charging possible.
From 2022 onwards, the ZS EV has received an LFP battery which needs occasional equalisation slow charge. Get the SOC as low as possible and charge it all the way to 100% which helps with balancing the battery cells. If not done, you might face sudden battery drop issues when the SOC is low. TATA recommends a slow charge for every 4-5 consecutive DC fast charging sessions.
Attaching a few snaps from the user's manual.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-screenshot_202308130841412.png  

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-screenshot_202308130842202.png  

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-screenshot_202308130842502.png  

shrey220 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2023, 09:38   #798
BHPian

For cell balancing you should be charging on AC slow charging frequently. As per owners manual

"In order to assist in extending the service life of the high voltage battery pack it is recommended that an equalisation charge is carried out at regular intervals."

"To carry out an equalisation slow charge, it is recommended that the charger output does not exceed 7kW"

So, you should have access to slow charge. Now a days there are public slow chargers also. However please ensure you can afford to leave it there for 7 hours or so.
HappyRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 21:01   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Pls don't subject yourself to hardship. Having home charging is minimum requirement.

FYI on my experience - Last Friday, the tpms showed low air pressure on one of the wheel. After filling the air on same day, the indicator did not turn off.

Meanwhile, the 100%battery charging showed me only 300km range.

It took almost 1.5 days for the alert to go away.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th August 2023 at 21:59. Reason: Please edit or multi-quote (QUOTE+) your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 18th August 2023, 19:37   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid this at all costs. You will be wasting tons of time, blocked by random cars, cabs etc at DC fast chargers within the city. You will regret buying the car.

Spend time figuring out if you can at least set up a 15A plug point at your parking slot. If drawing a line from your meter is not possible then talk to your association and install a submeter to draw power from the common line. You can pay the association on a monthly basis for the power drawn.

There are many options that you can explore.
shyampsunder is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 06:37   #801
BHPian

Bangalore public charging infrastructure is quite good. You would not face any difficulties in charging from public charging points, except may be a few.

However you might want to check if 100% DC charge is okay for you. Although there are plenty of AC chargers also, it would require more time.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 13:02   #802
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with @shyampsunder, having lived with the ZS EV for a year now a 15A plug is more than enough to get by. Relying entirely on DC charging is not recommended, its bad for both your battery health and also your mental health.

One of the joys of owning an EV is to put it on charge overnight and coming to a full "tank" in the morning, I would recommend somehow getting access to a 15A point.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 13:30   #803
BHPian

Quote:
As others have pointed out this is not advisable. Try to have slow charging at home or in office, i.e. anywhere where your car would be parked safely for hours. At the very least, you can try for a charging point with a good quality extension box as temporary measure. Many EV owners in apartments seem to be able to manage with that.

Last edited by wocanak : 21st August 2023 at 13:32.
Old 21st August 2023, 23:04   #804
BHPian

The new zs ev with adas feature was on display, but I was unable to spot the radar in front. Any idea whether they are using any new technology for adas ?
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img8583.jpg  

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img8584.jpg  

ItsMe747 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 13:16   #805
BHPian

Been almost 2 months since I took delivery of my ZS. Overall, I've been very happy with my car so far. First service was also well handled by the dealer, with no complaints.

I've reduced the tyre pressure from 41 Psi to 36 Psi, which has helped soften the ride slightly. But it is still on the jerky side compared to my other cars. Pathetic road conditions do not help matters too. Ideally, I would like to try maintaining pressures at 32 Psi to feel the difference, but can't do that since the TPMS will keep screaming at me.

However, there has been one niggling issue that has been chewing away at the back of my head - All 4 hub caps do not seem to sit flush against the wheel rim and have bulges (refer to attached image). I took this up during my first service and they claimed this is normal and that all 4 hubcaps have been checked and refitted. I have not had a chance to compare this with my friend's ZS, but my driver inspected 3 other ZS' at the service center and said they all had the same issue.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong here? Would appreciate views from fellow owners on this, if possible. Thank you!

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_5338.png
Old 24th August 2023, 13:27   #806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Is this normal or am I doing something wrong here? Would appreciate views from fellow owners on this, if possible. Thank you!

The wheel caps are not fitted properly, it should sit flush with the alloy.
Apply pressure on the bulged part, it should get fixed.
Old 25th August 2023, 03:29   #807
GTE
BHPian

I would suggest anyone going on a long trip with the ZS should take MG's assurance of aiding customers who run out of charge with a fist of salt! I was heading towards Chitradurga which had 4 chargers listed on Plugshare. All 4 were not operational. I called the helpline as I was down to 4%.I was told that MG would arrange to tow me to the nearest charger & if it was not working, (which obviously would be the case) I was on my own!
GTE is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 07:25   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe747 View Post
The new zs ev with adas feature was on display, but I was unable to spot the radar in front. Any idea whether they are using any new technology for adas ?
Seems like they've kept the 'non-pro' version on display as there are absolutely no changes in the car, apart from the ADAS and MID. The radar module as well as the front camera on the windshield is missing on this one.
Old 28th August 2023, 11:53   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
The wheel caps are not fitted properly, it should sit flush with the alloy.
Apply pressure on the bulged part, it should get fixed.
Tried this, but the problem still persists. Applied a fair amount of pressure, but the bulging bits keep springing back. Had pointed this out during my first service, but the advisors seem lazy and said this is normal (which I called out as BS). Would like to try all possible solutions before complaining to MG and raising hell about it.
Old 29th August 2023, 12:24   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Tried this, but the problem still persists. Applied a fair amount of pressure, but the bulging bits keep springing back. Had pointed this out during my first service, but the advisors seem lazy and said this is normal (which I called out as BS). Would like to try all possible solutions before complaining to MG and raising hell about it.
I got my wheels balanced and alignment done yesterday and happened to look at the rims without the cover. It looks way better without the cover, I don't understand the logic of covering the rims with a seemingly fragile plastic wheel cover.

Can anyone explain?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks