Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2023, 12:28   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I got my wheels balanced and alignment done yesterday and happened to look at the rims without the cover. It looks way better without the cover, I don't understand the logic of covering the rims with a seemingly fragile plastic wheel cover.

Can anyone explain?
It's for aerodynamics, to decrease drag and increase mileage a bit. You can take them off if you want.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 12:53   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I got my wheels balanced and alignment done yesterday and happened to look at the rims without the cover. It looks way better without the cover, I don't understand the logic of covering the rims with a seemingly fragile plastic wheel cover.

Can anyone explain?
It's for aerodynamics, when using in city you can remove the wheel covers, when going on a long drive you can use the wheel covers to gain some extra km.
SKC-auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 10:58   #813
BHPian

Encountered the first issue with my ZS today.

Charged the car overnight using the wall charger (started at 29% and ended at 100%). Had to drop my father to the airport this morning, so decided to take the MG.

Disconnected the charger and started the car. Got a warning stating that I need to press the brake pedal to engage drive. Thinking my foot had slipped off / was not firmly on the brake pedal, I redid the entire start procedure - switched off the car, pressed the brake pedal firmly and then pressed the start button.

The car restarted, but the same warning popped up, only this time, I noticed an 'HV Battery off' warning along with the same 'press brake pedal' warning. The AC & music had started up as normal, but the car was refusing to shift into D, N or R. The orange light was glowing on the start / stop button instead of the normal green light.

Switched off the car, exited and locked it using the remote. Unlocked it after a few seconds, got in again and repeated the start up process. This time (3rd attempt) everything seemed to work as normal. No warning lights, no abnormal indications on the i-smart app, etc.

However, upon driving for barely 100 metres, I realised that the regen was barely working (I always have regen set to level 3, which was also being indicated in the instrument cluster). The car continued to coast when I took my foot off the accelerator with no noticeable reduction in speed. Regen normally shows up as '-25', but was hovering around '-5'. Tested the car on the down slope of a flyover and the regen only showed as -6 at best, far from the normal driving behaviour of the vehicle.

Also, the 'Current' indication fluctuated wildly when the car was in motion, going up to 107 A under hard acceleration and low as -7 A while coasting / braking. Normally, this figure stays around 1 - 3 A if I'm not mistaken (I can't remember if it changes so much while driving). Voltage remained stable. Managed to click an image of the 'Current' reading, during moderate acceleration on an empty road.

Sending my car to the service centre tomorrow, but would appreciate any insights into this issue, if anyone has faced something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_5471.jpg  

fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 11:42   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I realised that the regen was barely working (I always have regen set to level 3, which was also being indicated in the instrument cluster). The car continued to coast when I took my foot off the accelerator with no noticeable reduction in speed. Regen normally shows up as '-25', but was hovering around '-5'. Tested the car on the down slope of a flyover and the regen only showed as -6 at best, far from the normal driving behaviour of the vehicle.
Regen only kicks in once the charge goes below 95%. Did you drive enough for the battery to deplete below 95% and then check this behaviour?
vinvin is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 12:00   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Regen only kicks in once the charge goes below 95%. Did you drive enough for the battery to deplete below 95% and then check this behaviour?
Will try this. Current battery level is at 97%.

I am also concerned about the Amps reading fluctuating. Not sure if it is normal and I haven't noticed it before, or is there something wrong.
Old 3rd September 2023, 14:08   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

None of these are issues. This is normal behaviour.
Regen doesn't not kick in until the battery is down to 95-96%, irrespective of regen setting.

The amp readings are also in line. The more the throttle, higher will be the reading and this fluctuates depending on the throttle input. This is also visible during regen. You will see negatives numbers during regen and it also depends on the speed.
speedmiester is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 15:34   #817
GTE
BHPian

This is the problem when one is used to regen, it is slightly unnerving when it is absent. I have noticed sometimes it becomes much less effective on a long trip, I can only conjecture that it could be linked to battery temperature.
GTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 16:20   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry. Everything is normal with your car. Few bhpians have already mentioned about regen and current fluctuation. And for the car not going into "Ready" mode after pressing Start/Stop button, it happens sometimes when you press the brake very lightly. You don't need to turn off the car and try again. Simply press the brake hard even when you are seeing orange light and press "Start/Stop" button again and the car will go in "Ready" mode. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JitendraW : 3rd September 2023 at 16:22. Reason: Added additional text for clarity.
JitendraW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 21:30   #819
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitsingh7 View Post
Attachment 2323723

Finally got mine as well!

My total range keeps hovering around 350 kms as an average. I do have to drive with a very light foot though. But I guess its a part of the adjustment when getting on the EV bandwagon.
I will appreciate your feedback to the following. Is this real world mileage? How is the battery degradation over the time you have used the car. Thank you very much.
GST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 12:00   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
None of these are issues. This is normal behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraW View Post
Don't worry. Everything is normal with your car. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the information. Greatly appreciated! Can't express how relieved I am! I am clearly still learning the nuances of EV ownership. Have driven the car more yesterday and it is performing as normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
This is the problem when one is used to regen, it is slightly unnerving when it is absent. I have noticed sometimes it becomes much less effective on a long trip, I can only conjecture that it could be linked to battery temperature.
I feel this when I switch over to my ICE cars. Takes a few seconds to get readjusted, but yes, can be unnerving at times. Though, I am absolutely loving one-pedal driving in my ZS.
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 18:23   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
I will appreciate your feedback to the following. Is this real world mileage? How is the battery degradation over the time you have used the car. Thank you very much.
My driving style has changed a lot since I first got it in June 2022. Range during summers and especially New Delhi. Summers is lower than other parts of the year. Overall I have averaged 370 to 380 kms. If I’m really gentle on the throttle, then sometimes I have achieved 410 kms as well.
When I first got the car, it showed 400 kms range in the Mg app and now it shows 395 kms so a little over one percent degradation.

P.S. I have completed 23k kms so far
ankitsingh7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 14:54   #822
BHPian

Hello fellow bhpians,
Does anyone know if MG is offering ADAS features as add on for earlier purchased ZS EV facelift models (which may or may not have hardware installed)?
Old 10th September 2023, 17:31   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraW View Post
Hello fellow bhpians,
Does anyone know if MG is offering ADAS features as add on for earlier purchased ZS EV facelift models (which may or may not have hardware installed)?
No. The older models do not have the hardware and MG will never offer any such upgrade.
Old 11th September 2023, 11:20   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
No. The older models do not have the hardware.
My car has the hardware. It was part of the first batch of the facelift version.
Old 11th September 2023, 11:32   #825
GTE
BHPian

Maybe one should pay attention when giving the car for service, I believe that the radar sensor in front is quite expensive. If anyone has the recent models where it is supposed to be missing could post a picture of the bumper that would be great.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks