Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 19:16   #736
FNM
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Any idea if a facelift of the ZS, or an improved version is coming out soon? MG dealers in Mumbai are pushing the car very hard indeed, and are offering steep discounts, so am wondering whether a new model is around the corner, or an upgraded one with additional features. Has anyone heard anything?
FNM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 07:53   #737
Senior - BHPian

Looks like there are indeed offers on ZS EV and it's petrol counterpart the Astor

2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review-img_20230610_074902.jpg

I am sure this is more to do with stocks being higher than bookings which wasn't the case earlier. This is one of the 4 cars I have shortlisted for purchase by September. Other being BYD Atto3, Hyundai Tucson and Jeep Meridian (Diesel Options).

I am sure one can get more if dealer has good stocks and desperate to get rid of them.
CarguyNish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 13:02   #738
BHPian

I think something is on the cards. May be it is black edition or a facelift.
https://twitter.com/MGMotorIn/status...735481857?s=19
utkarshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 13:15   #739
BHPian

Thanks for the the stellar ownership review @shyampsundar, rated it 5 stars.

I was planning to pen one of mine, but your review is pretty much the trajectory I went through before finally deciding to buy - surprise surprise - MG ZS EV (exclusive) in Aurora Silver colour!

Few additions to the background though:

1. In my case, I wanted to get rid of my trusty workhorse - a Red Renault Scala that did duty for over 160K Km. Primary reason for this was the need for an automatic. The Metro work here in Pune has aggravated the traffic to an extent that the knee is subjected to pressures akin to astronauts training for space travel. It was just over 10 years old and served me well - frugal and powerful and driven mostly in the city with just a couple of long drives (>1500 km) thrown in.
2. Having an independent House equipped with a 5 kW, solar set up and with a basement garage meant that the EV bug had already bitten
3. Drove and tested almost the same set of cars, namely - Nexon, Kona, BYD Atto 3, Ioniq 5, and the XC40 Recharge. While the Coonur was an immediate reject, each of the others presented a compelling proposition – Nexon in terms of its value, ioniq 5 in terms of its sheer interior space,  the Atto3 in terms of its quirky interiors, which also happens to be the reason it was rejected and last, but not the least the incredible XC 40 that just blew us away with its 428 bhp power available instantly coupled with the legendary Volvo, promise of safety and littered with features such as the adaptive cruise control that made it such a hoot to drive in the city. We had to say no to the XC 40 only because of its sad interiors, the velvet lining and Alcantara vegan seats and exposed wiring under the front seat. Had it been available for 10 lakhs lesser, it would have been short to blind us to the downsides.
4.  We also reviewed the MG comet and I believe it deserves an entire para for why we rejected it. We had paused the decision making process because MG had teased the comet. Quirky looks aside, I lovedthe interiors. However, it crossed off a lot of checkboxes – like low range, no fast charging and super small wheels. While its interiors are to die for, the initial reviews that warned of a hard ride and display issues put me off. Honestly, it made the Tiago a compelling buy
5. Having reviewed all of these, and then some, like the EQB and the mini EV, we made up our mind to go with the MGZSEV. With a neighbourhood dealer offering a 2.24,00,00 discount on the exclusive variant, it acted as the layer of grease in the decision making process. Immediate availability and choice of colours ensured that I took out my card and swipe the booking amount without any further procrastination.
6. The Exicom charger set up was seamless. While I had a 5 kW, three phase connection already, they insisted that I apply for a load enhancement. I gave them an acknowledgement from MSEDCL where i had requested a Load upgrade to 12KW. They also insisted that I have a dedicated phase for the charger supply and upgraded 16sqmm wiring from the busbar to the dedicated phase and neutral and to the MCB where the main cable from the charger was connected. The setup worked seamlessly and I also got to know that MG funds upto 100 m of armored cable from the meter to the charging point. Exicom engineers do a smart job and are open to positions that make sense for you. They recommend using iPlugged app to monitor the charging, but it does not install on an iPhone at all ... tried multiple times. The iSmart app from MG should be adequate, but it could be better with more information being available (like how many units of electricity was consumed in a charge cycle)
7. Finally having brought the car home, will jot down few of the likes / dislikes:

- The power available on tap is more than adequate in the city
- The "Auto Hold" function completely eliminates the need to keep your feet on the brakes while waiting for the signal to turn green and is a boon in stop and go traffic. It prevents the car from moving either ahead or behind (rollback). Auto Hold engages only if you are wearing the seat-belt on the driver seat. Holds the car in all conditions (on an incline or on flatland). You have to be careful while moving the car ahead. This requires you to press on the accellerator and until you get used to the surge, it is advisable to keep at least 3 ft distance from the car in front of you. Note that it is easy to get used to the accelerator control and you may then, be more adventurous with the distance between cars
- Kers 3 (Regen braking) mode makes it a breeze to drive in the city simulating 1-pedal driving, though it does not bring the car to a halt. I have tried the same in the nexon, where I drove with the highest Regen 3 setup and noticed that the tuning was much more aggressive in bringing the car to a halt. I haven't switched it to a lower Kers mode since I bought the car ... it is that addictive. Note that when the car is fully charged - 98 to 100% battery, the KERS 3 mode does not have any effect and the car will coast as if it is set at Kers 1. This may be because the battery is full, but was an interesting observation.
- Auto headlamps and wipers are a boon - remember that I am coming from a 10 yr old vintage and while these may be the default these days, for me, it was a genuine pain
- "Vehicle Settings" buried in the head unit allow you adequate control on Hill Descent, Pedestrian warning whine at low speeds, granular control of the coming home lights, rear driving assistance to the driver, announcements and greetings by MG etc.
- 360 degree camera with sensors at the back are very useful. the cameras engage at important moments such as a slow turn where there is an obstacle nearby.
- USB for charging dashcam is well placed and very thoughtful - I havent installed one yet
- The seating is high and it is easy to get into a comfortable driving position quickly. Ingress and egress is easy, but ladies in a saree may struggle to get on due to the height of the vehicle. It is a minor issue and can be easily remedied.
- Visiblity and ground clearance are adequate, in most roads
- Noise insulation is good. My petrol Merc sounds quite noisy and my Petrol Innova sounds like a tractor in comparison to the super silence that the ZS EV affords
- 100% charge offers 350 km in Normal mode.

Dislikes <will list a lot of them here, but this is more for folks to understand the intricacies and not to complain ... it is a phenomenal car by all accounts and offers quite a bit of kit for the price>

- The head unit sucks. the resolution is poor and it does not afford choices of themes. the default theme comes in 2 sad colours, grey and purple and both look horrible. Unavailability of any themes or customizations are truly a disappointment in this day and age - what would it cost to build a few more themes and allow widgets to be moved around on the screen. These should ideally be only a OTA update away and I am hoping that someone from MG is listeningThe fonts on some apps like Jio Saavn are so small and the touch sensitivity of the screen is so bad that it is almost impossible to use. Thankfully most key controls like AC, Fan, Home, Next / Previous etc are available in physical buttons, and they are quite usable. The unit could do with quite a lot of QA testing. Simple stuff are badly implemented (now my comparison is with the Merc, and it is quite a refined and polished system).The system overall could do with a complete overhaul. Wired Apple carplay engages fine but is quite intermittent and disconnects often. I am not using an original apple cable, and this could be a contributing factor. The unit takes about 10-15 sec to come alive and if you decide to reverse as soon as you turn on the car, the rear cameras may not fire. Not an issue if you wait for the screen to come alive and then put the car in reverse. This is not as bad as other units such as Nexon / XUV 400. The volvo has a Google unit, but with very little physical buttons, this can be more of an issue. The lady that announces or talks back in the MG has an annoying voice and there is no ability to change the voice. The in-built navigation is useless and irritating with the same voice announcing speed breakers on the road where there are none. While the greetings can be muted, I haven't found an option to mute initial announcements of the weather.
- Lack of ADAS (specifically adaptive cruise control) is an unforgiveable omission in a car costing 29 big ones.
- AC in Eco mode is woefully inadequate in relatively milder Pune summers. Normal mode is the default go to mode if you want to have a comfortable ride.
- The boot closure / opening should ideally have been motorized
- Large panoramic sunroof can act as "Neighbor's envy ... Owner's Pain" as it can get very hot. The curtains below the sunroof does not do a good job of insulting the passengers
- Miss ventilated seats - if Tatas can give this in a 20 L car, there is no explanation for its absence in a car that costs 50% more. India is a hot country and this is more of a necessity than a luxury.
- Handling at 50 KMPH itself can be quite bumpy - not sure if it is because of the quality of the roads that I frequent or the known soft setup of the suspension in the car
- CEAT / Good Year tyres replacing Michelin primacy / Continental ultra contact given in the earlier cars is a shame. I had a flat on my first day of ownership - albeit it was due to a nail and not because it was CEAT (my car got the CEATS). MG could have stayed away from the el-cheapo mindset that plagues the likes of citroen. I have not upgraded the rubber yet, but is on my list of to dos. recommendations welcome

Personalizations in the car

1. Debadged the car leaving on the ZS EV, replaced it with "Morris Garages" branding on the upper lip and "Brit Dynamic" logos replacing the obnoxious "electric" stickers. Also added MG door guards as 3rd party ones were unable to offer adequate protection
2. Ceramic coating - 9H hardness with 5 years maintenance coats costing 15K from a regular detailer in Baner, Pune.
3. Bought the MG Shield plan that offers RSA, 5 yrs warranty on the motor and vehicle and 5 yr labour free services. It costs just 7.5 K and is well worth the price IMHO.
4. Bought a trusty Jopasu to quickly clean the dust magnet

Summary

The MG ZS EV is a great car and EV. I will continue to add more details / observations as I use the car and put it though the paces. But so far, it has been a delight to drive and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for an EV below 30 L. Pushing the dealer to extend discounts may narrow the gap with the Excite variant that is quite a VFM car. Had MG done a better job with the head unit, I would have had very little to complain.

The launch of the Volvo EX 30 in some markets on Jun 7, 2023 was an event that I was closesly following and was on 2 minds if I should wait for it or commit to the ZS EV. I am glad that I did not wait. The EX 30 may be a competent car at a competitive price, but would not have been available anytime soon and I needed this one to replace my trusty steed.

The reviews of the ZS EV online, across the world, often summarize it as a VFM car offering a lot of gizmos and features. I would agree with this assessment, though in India, the value prop is diluted with the exclusions of some kit like ADAS and heated seats (We needed the opp here) and better tyres. However, I can rest peacefully knowing that it has solved a lot of my pain-points and relative to the available cars at this time, it is well worth it.
INNOVATOR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 15:40   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INNOVATOR View Post
Thanks for the the stellar ownership review @shyampsundar, rated it 5 stars.
Thanks!

Just one point: The MG Shield package is specifically to cover all consumables and other charges during the first 5 services. Things like 5 year warranty on the car and RSA comes by default with the car. I didn't opt for the MG shield because I don't think consumables in the first 5 services will come to Rs 7500 and I am happy to pay out of pocket.
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 11:04   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
Thanks!

Just one point: The MG Shield package is specifically to cover all consumables and other charges during the first 5 services. Things like 5 year warranty on the car and RSA comes by default with the car. I didn't opt for the MG shield because I don't think consumables in the first 5 services will come to Rs 7500 and I am happy to pay out of pocket.
I also did not opt for the shield considering the same point. Even SA did not recommend adding it when I kept pushing him to explain the benefits and service breakup cost.
Old 12th June 2023, 12:23   #742
FNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshgoel View Post
I think something is on the cards. May be it is black edition or a facelift.
https://twitter.com/MGMotorIn/status...735481857?s=19
Quite possible that something is afoot. Maybe a facelift or a special edition. The next-gen Nexon will be announced in August so I guess MG will want to respond.
Old 12th June 2023, 12:49   #743
FNM
BHPian

https://twitter.com/mgmotorin/status...ib8L24OGyMaPcA

This was posted just an hour ago on the MG Twitter handle. Looks like an announcement is imminent. This is for the Astor, but I am sure the ZS version will follow soon thereafter.

Last edited by FNM : 12th June 2023 at 12:51.
Old 15th June 2023, 08:57   #744
BHPian

Good News

MG Motor to be an Indian entity.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../100977868.cms
Old 18th June 2023, 17:47   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_sedan View Post

I'm interjecting here to add my opinion: This is the precise nature of unplanned journeys. This is especially true with EV vehicles and the charging infrastructure in our country which is still at a nascent stage. Every car buyer who considers an EV will have this precise question "What happens incase charge runs out? Will the showroom help us incase of an emergency?"
And this is where the dealers have to assure buyers that they will help them in any way possible.
Sorry for the delayed response to your post. The behaviour of the MG showroom personnel was indeed very callous and reprehensible. Something to be condemned unequivocally.

Having said that, unplanned journeys and EV-s do not go together. Even if it is a sudden or impulsive trip, an EV owner has to necessarily take into account his vehicle's SOC, the distance to be travelled, the charging stations on the way and a fall-back option. You may think this is a lot of work, but with experience, an EV owner starts doing this mental arithmetic automatically and rather effortlessly. So, just like an ICE driver will never allow his fuel tank to go completely empty, an EV driver will always take care to ensure his battery's SOC doesn't reach lower single digit figures.

What happened to your friend is a rare occurrence, something which can happen to the best of us. In fact, it could have been totally avoided if the MG showroom personnel had been a bit more helpful and considerate.

I don't think this incident should be enough reason for you to strike the ZS EV off your short-list!

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th June 2023 at 18:40. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
Rada is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 23:41   #746
BHPian

I want to register my sincere gratitude to the Team BHP community who provides best and honest feedback to the users.

I booked the MG ZS Excite Variant (Aurora Silver) on May30 in Chennai, Perungudi showroom. We took delivery on Jun08. Here is my journey.

Background:
  1. We are a two car household since both spouses work. Honda WRV and Honda City Gen 3.
  2. Outgoing Honda City 3rd gen had 1L km in 13 years. It is a gem of a car. It is just that the low seating was becoming an issue for elders at home.
  3. Majority of the driving will be in the city. We wanted a mid size SUV and did not like the value proposition of Creta, Seltos, Hyryder, Grand Vitara. We even waited for the Honda Elevate.
  4. We liked the City Hybrid for the fuel efficiency and the driving response.
  5. We got smitten by MG ZS on the first test drive.
  6. We could not accept Nexon due to space constraints on the rear seats.

MG Dealership experience: Average – 3 Star
  1. Booked on May30 and got the vehicle on Jun08. Luckily they had excite variant available immediately.
  2. I faced a hands off approach by the SA from the beginning. I promptly called the Team Lead and asked him to manage as I was not getting a basic buying experience. I was only expecting sales civility and nothing more.
  3. There was confusion on the insurance quote sent and what was charged.
  4. I again had a tiff to pay the full amount for the accessories before delivery date. I have put my foot down and said I will hold some payment rather than agreeing to be their hostage. They agreed after I talked with the Showroom manager. I think we as customers are also at fault for considering everything the dealer is asking for without employing common sense.
  5. On delivery day, I registered my feedback with the showroom manager and MG survey.

Reasons for choosing Excite: Great VFM – 5 Star
There is no difference in the capacity or performance between Excite and Exclusive variant. We reviewed the missing features closely and decided against spending 4 lakh additional. Maybe 2.5 L now (Jun-23 offers)
  1. Leather Seats
  2. Pano Sunroof
  3. Power Adjustable Driver Seat
  4. Wireless Phone Charging
  5. Power Foldable ORVM, Heated ORVM
  6. No back Speakers
  7. 360 camera
  8. Drive Assist - Blind Spot Detection System, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Lane Change Assist

Accessories: Lack of Options : 3 Star
Dealer:
  1. Sunshade - I liked the quality but the clips used to hold the shades are not easy to adjust and remove. Recommend getting with the magnets
  2. Ceramic Coating - 2 year maintenance - 25k
  3. Door Edge guards - Good quality
  4. Chrome handle and finger guard - Good quality
Outside
  1. Autotech 7 D mat - Rs. 6500
  2. WolfBox G900 dash mirror - Amazon - Rs.23000
Planning to add:
  1. Tyre inflator
  2. 3D trunk mat
  3. PU leather seats

Charger Installation – Smooth setup – 5 Star
Advisor suggested not to apply for additional load, as Tamil Nadu EB will automatically increase load based on monthly consumption.
The separate electrician work is needed to start the work. It costed me around 12k.
Requested them to install black hard wire with PVC heavy pipe for my mental satisfaction.

• Instant power at the slight touch of feet and good range
  • VFM – Mid size EV in a price lower than other ICE SUV
  • Good sturdy build. Car doors, trunk and bonnet are heavy and closed with thud. Very confident of the safety
  • Feels fresh even after long rides - Super NVH, No body roll, PM filter
  • Connected Apps are useful
  • Fast AC charging - overnight battery full

Dislikes
  • As we have discussed many times over, the features provided in the car could have been better in comparison to the competition.
  • Excite - 2 Speaker + 2 Tweeters (They are component speakers) provision though seems sufficient, but defies logic on cost cutting.
  • Hate Turn indicator on left side.

Notes:
  • KERS - level 3 will not allow for smooth reverse
  • KERS – level 1 will provide better experience in a bumper to bumper traffic
  • Skipped MG Shield plan as it was not VFM
  • It looks like rear speaker provision is available to just add the speakers. But when I asked the Car Audio vendor to check, they said there is no wiring coming into the rear seat. I was not interested in splaying the wire from the front speakers.
Chukash is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 11:33   #747
BHPian

Hi Chukash!

To reverse smoothly, please switch off the "Auto Hold". This is mentioned in the ZS EV manual as well.
Old 22nd June 2023, 14:24   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukash View Post
[*]No back Speakers[*]360 camera

Planning to add:
[*]PU leather seats
Have they stopped 360 degree camera recently? My Excite Nov 2022 model has that.

Leather seat option is not available for Excite as an accessory at MG. Since it has airbags, refrain from aftermarket ones.
Old 22nd June 2023, 15:38   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
Have they stopped 360 degree camera recently? My Excite Nov 2022 model has that.

Leather seat option is not available for Excite as an accessory at MG. Since it has airbags, refrain from aftermarket ones.
They are trying to make excite version unattractive for buyers. Yes, mine does not have the camera.

I am thinking on the aftermarket maybe after few years. It seems to be common to have seat airbags. i20, Brezza, Sonet and few other models have it.
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:57   #750
BHPian

Anyone know whether the front 12v socket is being powered by the main car battery or the auxiliary lead acid battery in the boot? I am planning to add the Riggear ventilated seats to my zs ev, but dont want to plug in this Chinese product to my main battery. Will consider only if it is powered by the aux one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks