Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2023, 16:26   #826
BHPian

Re: 2022 MG ZS EV Facelift Review

Recently did a 1838 kms return journey in my ZS 2022. The onward journey of 919 kms from Mangalore to Thiruvananthapuram (via Mysore - Madurai - Tirunelveli - Thiruvananthapuram) was not documented. But in the return leg I decided to document the entire journey.

The actual route for Mangalore -Thiruvananthapuram is through NH66 via Kochi which is around 640 Kms. But considering the ongoing road widening throughout the stretch, I decided to take the long route. I also wanted to test the resilience of me and my machine.

I decided to take Thiruvananthapuram - Tirunelveli - Madurai - Tirupur - Chamarajanagar- Mysore- Mangalore route.

My charging plan was as under:
1. Thiruvananthapuram - Madurai (320 kms approx.) : Charging Stop-1, Hotel Temple City, Vadipati,Madurai(Zeon 50 kw)
2. Madurai - Tirupur (200 kms approx.): Charging stop -2 , Hotel Tirupur Shree Annapurna, Avinashi (Zeon 50 kw)
3. Tirupur - Mysore (200 kms approx.): Charging stop-3, Mall of Mysore, (Zeon 50 kw)
4 Mysore - Mangalore (250 kms approx.) - Destination

I started from Thiruvananthapuram at 4.10 am on Sep 3, 2022 with 100 % SoC
My first target was Zeon Vadipatti. But around 50 kms before my destination and SoC at 21% I spotted another Hotel Temple City at Tirumangalam that also had Zeon 50 kw charger. Time was 7.51 am and I covered 270 kms since start.
I decided to charge there and pugged in the car and had my breakfast too. Very decent set up with clean wash rooms.

At 8.40 am I left Madurai with 85% SoC. Next target was Tirupur Shree Annapurna, Avinashi.

I reached Avinashi at 11.54 am with 11% SoC and covered 213 kms from my last stop. Plugged in the car and had my lunch.

Left from Avinashi at 1.00 pm with 90% SoC. Next stop was Mall of Mysore, Mysore. I reached there at 4.32 pm with 24% SoC and covered 181 kms from my last stop.
Plugged in the car and had some snacks.

Left from Mysore at 5.20 pm with 89% SoC. This leg of journey was the most time consuming one as Sunday evening traffic was at its peak. Stopped for dinner at Sullia and finally reached Mangalore at 11.00 pm and SoC at 20%. Covered 255 kms from my last stop.

Summary of the trip

Distance Covered - 919 Kms
Total travel time -18 hours 50 minutes
Driving time -16 hours 07 minutes
Average speed - 59 km/hour
Charging cost(including initial 100% from home before start) - Rs 3549/-
das_ren_auto is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 18:11   #827
GTE
BHPian

If you were in a diesel, it would have cost between 4 to 4.5k. & done it possibly without refuelling.
Old 11th September 2023, 18:38   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
If you were in a diesel, it would have cost between 4 to 4.5k. & done it possibly without refuelling.
And would have saved 30mins of time too for normal drivers .

Last edited by SKC-auto : 11th September 2023 at 18:41.
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 18:46   #829
GTE
BHPian

Actually 30 minutes sounds too low. I did a Bombay Coonoor trip last month & had to stop overnight twice on the way there & once on the way back. In a diesel I could do it in one shot more often than not, and this was before the Bangalore Mysore expressway.
Old 11th September 2023, 21:20   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
[quote=SKC-auto;5622982]And would have saved 30mins of time too for normal drivers
Normal travel time for same route is 19 hours 20 minutes.I did not even take that much time with 3 charging stops. All charging stops were clubbed with my food breaks.And you are expecting a fuel economy of 20/litre at 100-120 km and bumper to bumper traffic in a diesel?
And by the way I mentioned trip cost as part of statistics only.I did not buy EV to save money.For me the fact that even after driving for 16 hours continuously I did not feel fatigue is more important.
das_ren_auto is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 21:54   #831
BHPian

For the last 3 months I was facing slight loss of pressure from one of the wheels.Like 1-2 points in a week.MG had initially changed tpms sensor as a solution but problem persisted and they could not diagnose the root cause.Today I went to a local tyre shop and within 2 minutes they identified the issue.There is a leak from the alloy wheel.Video attached.Seems like a manufacturing defect. I have handed over the wheel to MG who will raise a token tomorrow.Hope it will be covered under warranty
das_ren_auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 10:57   #832
BHPian

[quote=das_ren_auto;5623080]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
For me the fact that even after driving for 16 hours continuously I did not feel fatigue is more important.
True that. For me it really helps when I need to get to work the next day or get something done the same day after a 12 or 14 hour 1000km drive.
rajeshrajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 12:34   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
And would have saved 30mins of time too for normal drivers
Normal travel time for same route is 19 hours 20 minutes.I did not even take that much time with 3 charging stops. All charging stops were clubbed with my food breaks.And you are expecting a fuel economy of 20/litre at 100-120 km and bumper to bumper traffic in a diesel?
And by the way I mentioned trip cost as part of statistics only.I did not buy EV to save money.For me the fact that even after driving for 16 hours continuously I did not feel fatigue is more important.
You were lucky that there weren't other cars being charged or power cuts. I did a 1,300 km roundtrip to Hyderabad from Chennai and was unlucky with power cuts and also a Nexon who insisted on charging till 100% thereby extending our wait time.

I had the same experience while driving from Chennai to Bangalore. There was a Nexon in Kolar who insisted on their magic 100% before allowing me to charge.

More than range anxiety, I felt anxious that there would be a queue at the charger.

However it was worth the wait, as the driving experience was excellent.

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 12th September 2023 at 12:34. Reason: line spacing
Chrome6Boy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 12:45   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
You were lucky that there weren't other cars being charged or power cuts. I did a 1,300 km roundtrip to Hyderabad from Chennai and was unlucky with power cuts and also a Nexon who insisted on charging till 100% thereby extending our wait time.

I had the same experience while driving from Chennai to Bangalore. There was a Nexon in Kolar who insisted on their magic 100% before allowing me to charge.

More than range anxiety, I felt anxious that there would be a queue at the charger.

However it was worth the wait, as the driving experience was excellent.
I had my moments of anxiety. When I reached Zeon Avinashi (It has one 50 kw and 24 kw gun), one guy has just plugged in his Nexon Prime in 50 kw charger. The guy seems to be a driver. I requested him to shift to 24 kw charger as Nexon Prime supports less speed. He then talked to his owner over phone, took his consent and allowed me to plug in at 50 kw charger.

Later when I reached Mall of Mysore, a BYD Atto 3 was plugged in at 36% SoC. I was about to go back and suddenly the Byd guy told me that I can charge as he is going to a nearby place.

So it seems I was really lucky

On the other side, I had a horrible experience at Ramanathapuram, Rameswaram on the same week. Only one Relux 30 kw charger was available. I reached the place at 10 am with 15% SoC. Power cut was there. Waited at the road. Power came back at 2 pm with low voltage. Voltage stabilized at 4 pm. Plugged in the car and charger till 5.15 pm. My plan was to go to Rameswaram which was further 50 kms. Because of this experience went straight back to Thiruvananthapuram after spending 7 hours at the road.

Last edited by das_ren_auto : 12th September 2023 at 12:55. Reason: adding more information
das_ren_auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 14:25   #835
BHPian

Hi, I seek a help from fellow BHPians for my colleague living in Gurugram (South City II). It is a ground + two floors private township by Unitech group having builder floors.

My colleague have booked MG ZS EV and waiting for delivery. MG team visited his home for technical check for 7.2KW charger. My colleague having 3 phase 11KW sanctioned load having 4BHK & using 4 ACs of 1.5 ton each and 1 AC of 2 ton. MG team asked him to increase the load to 15KW as his peak load (as per his last few bills is 7KW). My colleague, upon checking with Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam(DHBVN) came to know that if he increase the load he will have to pay anything between 5 lacs to 8 lacs as development charges. Upon further checking Officers informed him that he will either have to submit receipt of development charges paid earlier or will have to pay development charges for entire 15KW load which will be around 5 lacs to 8 lacs (they will inform exact amount after checking). They have suggested, on personal level, to avoid increasing load due to cost (Officers anticipated that my colleague will not be able to submit receipts). This appears to be a common issue faced by Gurugram residents who have their floors/flats by private builders (DLF, Unitech etc.) as new connection cost is close to 3 lacs plus for a 5kW load.

Now my colleague is checking with MG why his existing 11kW load is not sufficient for 7.2kW charger because his peak load of 7kW have happened only once and his wiring and electricity meter is cable to handle load of 20kW (as confirmed by DHBVN official). MG insisting to increase the load. Due to this he is unable to take delivery (for general information this is a company car, top model, as per his entitlement and we got 1.85 lacs discount)

I have suggested him to ask MG to install 3.3kW charger and 15A slow charging socket because he will charge his MS ZS EV at home during the night so there is no need to have 7.2kW. Even if once in a blue moon he would need urgent fast charging, he can do it at walking distance private fast chargers outside his locality (there are many within 2km of his residential locality). However, he is adamant to have 7.2kW charger at home.

Request BHPian to advise as this scenario may be very familiar with many others who own EV as how to take up with MG to install 7.2kW charger or 3.3kW plus 15A charging socket is good enough for his usage. He drive 80km per day for home to office & back and he love to drive. He currently own Jeep Compass Petrol AT (2018 model) and a Honda City AT (2013 model).

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 12th September 2023 at 14:29.
Old 12th September 2023, 15:46   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
MG team asked him to increase the load to 15KW as his peak load (as per his last few bills is 7KW).
I suggest reaching out to the builder to get the receipt of development charges he would have paid at the time of construction. It is just 4kW extra load that is required so does not really need a new transformer setup and hence no need to pay any development charges (don't think it works differently in Haryana).
As far as installation is concerned, MG has appointed third party for the installations and from my personal experience, they do not compromise on their policies so I don't think they will install the charges until the load increase is done.
Also, I am not sure why your friend is so adamant on installing the charger when he can simply use 15A socket. That is more than sufficient for his usage. For emergency, anyway fast chargers are available at stone's throw away in cities.

Last edited by JitendraW : 12th September 2023 at 15:47. Reason: grammatical corrections.
JitendraW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 15:47   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_ren_auto View Post
For the last 3 months I was facing slight loss of pressure from one of the wheels.Like 1-2 points in a week.MG had initially changed tpms sensor as a solution but problem persisted and they could not diagnose the root cause.Today I went to a local tyre shop and within 2 minutes they identified the issue.There is a leak from the alloy wheel.Video attached.Seems like a manufacturing defect. I have handed over the wheel to MG who will raise a token tomorrow.Hope it will be covered under warrantyhttps://Youtube.com/watch?v=Y4muyVCfY4g?feature=shared
MG has approved for new wheel under warranty.Part not in stock.Will receive in 10-12 days
das_ren_auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 16:13   #838
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Request BHPian to advise as this scenario may be very familiar with many others who own EV as how to take up with MG to install 7.2kW charger or 3.3kW plus 15A charging socket is good enough for his usage. He drive 80km per day for home to office & back and he love to drive. He currently own Jeep Compass Petrol AT (2018 model) and a Honda City AT (2013 model).
Why not get a after market charger or ask MG to just give him the charger and get the installation done by a electrician.

The actual charger is located inside the car, the so called wall box charger that you hang in a wall is just a fancy box with a relay, earth leakage and surge protection and a pilot signal circuit that gives a signal to car to accept the charge or not. The wall box charger in other words is just a switch which only switches ON, if the conditions of earth leakage, surge, short is not there.

The only difference between a 3.3kw wall charger and a 7.2kw wall charger is a Rs 300 relay inside with higher current rating (the price difference between 32A rated and a 40A rated is pennies) and the wire from the wall box to charging plug which costs additional Rs 500 for the 7.2kw.

Some after market charger allow you to set the current limit manually, it basically gives a signal to the car on board charger to accept 3.3kw or a 7.2kw charger based on the settings, some can even charge below 3.3kw. Remember the actual charging circuit AC-DC is located inside the car.

Last edited by aim120 : 12th September 2023 at 16:17.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 21:30   #839
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think there is an issue to install the 7.2 kw charger on a 11 KW connection. The charger + peak load will be 14 KW approx which should be fine for the line.

I won't recommend going with the 3.3 KW charger option because MG's portable charger only goes up till 2 KW. Hence it is much slower than the Tata's portable charger (Feedback from a friend who owns an MG ZS EV in Gurgaon).

The only issue is see happening due to the 7.2 KW charger is that the MDI (peak load) of the connection will go beyond sanctioned load of 11 KW which will result in DHVBN charging the bill at flat unit rate of Rs7.1 per KWH rather than charging it as slab wise rate.
ferrarirules is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 21:34   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I don't think there is an issue to install the 7.2 kw charger on a 11 KW connection. The charger + peak load will be 14 KW approx which should be fine for the line.

I won't recommend going with the 3.3 KW charger option because MG's portable charger only goes up till 2 KW. Hence it is much slower than the Tata's portable charger (Feedback from a friend who owns an MG ZS EV in Gurgaon).

The only issue is see happening due to the 7.2 KW charger is that the MDI (peak load) of the connection will go beyond sanctioned load of 11 KW which will result in DHVBN charging the bill at flat unit rate of Rs7.1 per KWH rather than charging it as slab wise rate.
Thank you. Matter resolved as MG agreed for 7.2kW wall charger after my colleague submitting undertaking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks