Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2023, 07:04   #496
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
I am leaning towards selling my 9.5 year old Polo for Tiago EV. Would Medium range suffice for a weekly driving of 150km? This would be my 2nd car and strictly for city driving only or should I consider spending 1L more on the Long Range XT variant?

All i need is an automatic, small and budget car for daily driving in heavy Bangalore traffic.
6k kms into my EV ownership and my car is strictly used in Bangalore city limits - EV is the best city beater car you can have, no two ways about it st all!
  • The silent cabin
  • Gearless & vibration free drive
  • Power on tap
  • Driving for long hours in city traffic is so much easier now because of above points.
  • Guiltfree and silent idling
  • Worry free short drives
  • Extremely low running cost - charging&service

My suggestion would be to get max range that your budget allows and do check for ergonomics with extended test drives along with family - few EVs have compromised ergonomics to accomodate larger battery packs and that will come back to bite you bad once the new car novelty factor wears off.

My experience with the range & usability and why I suggest to get max range that your budget gets you:
  • I get true 300km to company claimed range of 450km, thats 66% of company claimed range.
  • In this 300km (full 100% charge) the usable range is around 250km before I put the car to charge (I charge from ~20%).
  • On days I go to office back-back about 100km round trip and takes ~30% - my charging frequency increases as I need to put my car on charge earlier than 20%

Last edited by Sandegov : 22nd July 2023 at 07:18.
Sandegov is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2023, 19:38   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_xyz View Post
My vehicle makes a "drrrrrrr" sound while accelerating and regenerating. Initially, I thought that this sound is normal. But, having read several times that the EV drive is very silent, I always had a nagging doubt that there is a problem with the vehicle. Vehicle diagnostic report also did not show any abnormalities.

He called his engineer who apparently asked for some data. The mechanic says that he requires 2 days to collect this data. This data will be forwarded to the engineer who will decide the next course of action.

All this happened yesterday. Let's see how it goes.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...on-ev-max.html (Solved! Knocking sound & driveshaft issue in my Tata Nexon EV Max)
Hi Sir, I was wondering if you have an update on the issue or if you heard back from tata guys. Thank you!
Old 23rd July 2023, 21:36   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Hi Sir, I was wondering if you have an update on the issue or if you heard back from tata guys. Thank you!
Hi. Yes. I kept calling the service center 3-4 times a day. On the first day, they told me that they are checking some parameters. On the second day, they told me that the details have been collected and mailed to Tata for the next course of action to be taken. On the third day, they said that they had identified the problem and that a replacement part has been ordered. They told me that this part would take 15-20 days to arrive at the service center. They asked me to collect my vehicle and bring it back to the service center once the part to be replaced arrives there. They did not tell me which part needs replacement over the phone.

Anyways, I went to the service center and collected the car. They told me that the part which needed the replacement was the motor coupled with the gearbox. Apparently, the problem was in the gearbox. But, since the gearbox and the motor are installed in the factory in a coupled condition, it seems that the entire set needs to be replaced. My SA was telling me that this part costs around Rs. 3 lakhs.

They said that once the part arrives at the service center, it will take 2 days to replace it. Apparently, people from the factory will be coming to replace it.

Overall, I felt satisfied with the response from Tata.

I will provide further updates as and when they are available.
abc_xyz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 08:44   #499
BHPian

This morning while topping up the washer fluid, I noticed that the 12V battery showing signs of leakage. In fact the leaked electrolyte had destroyed the battery holding strap. I'll be taking the car to the ASS today to ask for a battery replacement. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_20230726_083447.jpg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_20230726_083456.jpg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_20230726_083510.jpg  

John is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 06:50   #500
BHPian

Looks like Tata has replaced the need for visiting fuel bunks with regular visits to the service centre

Two issues have cropped up after 1st Service.

a. Car does not charge fully and stops charging at random:

Not sure what is going wrong where the car refuses to charge any further. To fix this, have to drive for a minute/two to reduce the charge by a couple of percentage points and then connecting the charger once more. At this point it would start charging and stop randomly at a different point.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-screenshot-20230728-6.37.11-am.png

b. Fuel/Charge lid not opening/closing is back again:

In the 1st service, i had explicitly called out this issue to PPS motors and was guaranteed that its fixed. Less than a week after service, the charging lid now does not close (if opened) or vice versa.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-screenshot-20230728-6.35.45-am.png

I am seriously wondering if Tata had rushed up Tiago EV without proper quality controls (or) reliability checks. Need to run back to the service centre today once more to look into these issues. It is not like everyone has time to drop everything in their schedule and run to the service centre every week.

Last edited by Aceman82 : 28th July 2023 at 07:04.
Aceman82 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th July 2023, 14:39   #501
BHPian

10,000 kms Update:

I completed 10,000 kms last week. The car is definitely fun to drive and the best city commuter right now. I am enjoying commuting on this electric pocket rocket.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-image_123986672-8.jpg

But the car is not niggle free. As we are seeing on this forum, several people are going through different problems.

I faced a major issue with the car starting at 7000 kms. The car used to switch off on the middle of the road and not start for 15-20 minutes. "HV Critical Alert" warning got displayed. I was stranded several times and once had to call RSA to tow the car as it did not start even after 30 minutes.

After 3 trips to service center, finally the issue was resolved by changing the MCU (Motor Control Unit) which was diagnosed by a Tata EV engineer who visited the Peenya service center to check my car.

The details of this problem have been documented in a separate thread here ("HV Critical Alert" on my Tata Tiago EV: Car shuts down & wont restart for 15-30 minutes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post

In the 1st service, i had explicitly called out this issue to PPS motors and was guaranteed that its fixed. Less than a week after service, the charging lid now does not close (if opened) or vice versa.
This is a common issue. You just need to bend the clip with hand (highlighted in the image) slightly so that it locks into place when the lid is closed.

Tata Tiago Electric Review-capture.jpg
anshumandun is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 07:43   #502
BHPian

Quote:
a. Car does not charge fully and stops charging at random:
Quick update on the issue: After initially trying to pass the buck, blaming how I connect the charger, and that my home electrical connection's ground wiring/earthing could have went bad, PPS has finally found the root cause and fixed it.

The issue, as it turns out, was an electrical coupler becoming loose. It appears that during the first free service, the car wash inadvertently loosened the coupler connecting the charging port to the wiring. This is fixed by tightening the coupler and testing it with multiple connect/disconnect cycles. This explains why the issue arose immediately after the first service.

Though I'm not fully convinced by their explanation, I have requested PPS to inform Tata Motors about this incident and provide guidance to check the coupler on Tiago EV's during regular servicing.

Quote:
They have fixed it for now, along with the statement that Tiago is a cheaply made car. Hence, the reliability cannot be compared to other cars in my garage, like the ones from Mahindra or Skoda, and we need to learn to live with some niggles . Also it seems the way I am closing the charging lid is not as good as how a petrol pump attendant would close it.

Now, I'm wondering if Tata expects me to charge at home but then take the EV car to the petrol bunk just to ask the attendant to close the lid? It's quite amusing to see how Tata manages to generate employment for petrol pumps, even with owners of EV cars. .

Poor QC of their cars and a nonchalant attitude from their service centers is going to backfire on Tata EV division badly.

Quote:
This is a common issue. You just need to bend the clip with hand (highlighted in the image) slightly so that it locks into place when the lid is closed.
Thanks for the inputs, much appreciated. If this is a common issue, Tata should issue a recall and fix it permanently.
Aceman82 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 08:43   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely appalled by the plethora of niggles being reported by Tiago EV owners. Be it HV Critical error, or charging not working or charging lid not opening or closing or some loose coupler here and there. This is ridiculous. The whole premise of EV was simplicity leading to reliability. This is the other way round. Sad part is that the petrol Tiago is a perfectly reliable and trouble free car, yet its EV version has all sorts of issues.

Certainly not a car which can be used as a local runabout daily driver. If I get one for my wife, and if the car throws up an error while she’s on the way to pick up the kid from school or out with her friends, it was be tata bye bye to the car and to me as well.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 10:56   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Absolutely appalled by the plethora of niggles being reported by Tiago EV owners. Be it HV Critical error, or charging not working or charging lid not opening or closing or some loose coupler here and there. This is ridiculous. The whole premise of EV was simplicity leading to reliability. This is the other way round. Sad part is that the petrol Tiago is a perfectly reliable and trouble free car, yet its EV version has all sorts of issues.

Certainly not a car which can be used as a local runabout daily driver. If I get one for my wife, and if the car throws up an error while she’s on the way to pick up the kid from school or out with her friends, it was be tata bye bye to the car and to me as well.
I agree that there shouldn't any niggles in the cars that are launched. But then I don't think this problem is limited to Tata EV or Tata cars or Indian manufacturer cars. This is more widespread. If you see our forum from Toyota Hyrder to Hycross to Kushaq to XUV700 to Scorpio-N to Tata Safari to Tata EVs, all cars have had their share of niggles and issues threads in the first year of the car going on sale. It seems as if the customers are subscribing to a beta program and improving the car for the future buyers.

The reason for this is lack of laws which support the consumer in this country and even if there are laws the amount of pain that it takes for going through a legal battle dissuades people to go through one. Hence the car manufacturers are taking the customers for a ride. All that this country needs is strong laws with easy grievance resolution (example - insurance ombudsman) so that manufacturers are scared to launch products with niggles.

To look at it from a manufacturers respective having a 100% defect free process is impossible so defects will creep in. If a manufacturer is selling 50,000 cars a month and their defect percentage is 0.01% that is still 5 cars a month, 60 cars an year defective. To solve this, voluntary recalls or car specific proactive campaigns need happen more proactively so that defect even if identified are resolved faster.

Those are my two cents on this topic. Finally is Tiago EV is an unreliable car? - I don't think so. I know so many owners who have driven it for thousands of kilometers and have not faced any issues.
ferrarirules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 13:41   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
I agree that there shouldn't any niggles in the cars that are launched. But then I don't think this problem is limited to Tata EV or Tata cars or Indian manufacturer cars. This is more widespread. If you see our forum from Toyota Hyrder to Hycross to Kushaq to XUV700 to Scorpio-N to Tata Safari to Tata EVs, all cars have had their share of niggles and issues threads in the first year of the car going on sale. It seems as if the customers are subscribing to a beta program and improving the car for the future buyers.
There are niggles, and there are things which leave you stranded. It is one thing for the display screen to go blank or for CarPlay to randomly disconnect or for brakes to make noise or some other random bug somewhere. That doesn’t compromise the basic usability of the car. Issues here are the kind which leave the car unusable. In essence, they are not niggles. They are full fledged breakdowns that require immediate redressal before the car can resume daily use. You can’t ‘live with them’ till the next service.

My grouse is with the sheer number of issues with the Tiago EV, all of which are stupid QC related and have seemingly straightforward solutions. Tata has had plenty of experience with EVs now. The Ziptron architecture has been in use for many years. These kind of issues are not there on the Nexon EV Max. What is going wrong with the Tiago then?

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 2nd August 2023 at 13:44.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 15:40   #506
BHPian

Quote:
My grouse is with the sheer number of issues with the Tiago EV, all of which are stupid QC related and have seemingly straightforward solutions. Tata has had plenty of experience with EVs now. The Ziptron architecture has been in use for many years. These kind of issues are not there on the Nexon EV Max. What is going wrong with the Tiago then?
The statement that "The Ziptron architecture has been in use for many years" is true for any kind of vehicle - petrol cars have been built for years yet Skoda had EPS issues. Diesel cars on euro 6 have been there for years still all diesel manufacturers struggle with DPF issues till date. It is not about that you are doing it for years, hence everything you make will be defect free. Tiago EV was different implementation from battery and BMS stand point than Nexon.

Rest we base our opinions based on reports we see on our forums. But then we as humans complain more than we appreciate.

Yes, there are issues but then Tata usually is quite responsive towards HV issues. There are EV specific communities which are helping troubled owners to get matter escalated and get a quick resolution.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 02:20   #507
BHPian

Quote:

My grouse is with the sheer number of issues with the Tiago EV, all of which are stupid QC related and have seemingly straightforward solutions. Tata has had plenty of experience with EVs now.
Although you made valid points, I believe we are being unfair to the Tata Tiago EV. Since it is the first EV to sell in significant quantities, concerns are being reported by general consumers openly as opposed to the discreet way that the D1 market consumer report issues. Moreover, Maruti would have released the WagonR EV a long time ago if creating affordable EV cars were that simple.Building a top-notch EV at a reasonable price is difficult. Even the smaller MG Comet is priced on par with the Tiago EV.

Tata Motors (like a GOI PSU ) chooses vendors with inexpensive quotations, or L1 (at the cost of quality), which may be the cause of problems with the Tiago EV. I think the generous warranty and the affordable pricing make up for the problems.
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 05:59   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Although you made valid points, I believe we are being unfair to the Tata Tiago EV. Since it is the first EV to sell in significant quantities, concerns are being reported by general consumers openly as opposed to the discreet way that the D1 market consumer report issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
The statement that "The Ziptron architecture has been in use for many years" is true for any kind of vehicle - petrol cars have been built for years yet Skoda had EPS issues. Diesel cars on euro 6 have been there for years still all diesel manufacturers struggle with DPF issues till date. It is not about that you are doing it for years, hence everything you make will be defect free. Tiago EV was different implementation from battery and BMS stand point than Nexon.
I am typing this from the back of a Tigor EV, my second ride this week from BluSmart. This car has done 70k km, the earlier one, another Tigor EV, had done 110k km.

Both drivers have only high praises to sing about their cars. They report zero niggles or reliability issues. Zero. The cars run 24x7, the driver’s change as per their allotted slot. BluSmart cabs are limited to 60kmph, and both drivers said they get around 250km to a full charge. Things like HV Critical error were unknown to both.

Between Nexon, Tigor and now Tiago, Tata has sold more than 1 lakh EVs in India already. They had issues with the original Nexon EV, but the Max has been trouble free. Tigor EV is very reliable, and is a cabbie favourite here in NCR. So what’s going wrong with the Tiago EV?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 08:11   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Tigor EV is very reliable, and is a cabbie favourite here in NCR. So what’s going wrong with the Tiago EV?
Earlier Tigor EVs (now called Xpres-T) are based on 72 Volts Electra architecture. This was supplied to Tata by a company called Electra. I don't who made these components but most probably Electra might have sourced them from supplier catalogues. Glad to know that this platform is bullet proof.

The 300+ Volts Ziptron platform is being continously developed in house by Tata Motors. Tigor.ev too (for private sale) is now using Ziptron & the HV critical issues seems to be common to all Ziptron cars but visibility is more on Nexon Prime, Max & Tiago due to the sheer number of cars sold. I think Tigor on Ziptron is not selling as much as Nexon or Tiago (especially private registrations) to see similar errors being reported.

It is unfair to say only Tiago is facing drive component failure as Nexon too is facing similar issues. We have seen BHPians report Tata replacing battery packs, motors, gear boxes, MCUs, BMS & other charging components for the Ziptron platform. Further, the HV critical error seems to be a generic message (similar to check engine light in ICE cars) used by Tata OBD for any of the high voltage component failure! So it doesn't seem so far that Tata has poorly designed a particular component. It is that like all Tata Motors' engineering poweress, component failure rate is higher than industry average!
Comrade is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 10:47   #510
BHPian

Quote:
So what’s going wrong with the Tiago EV?
Blusmart drivers not facing issues cannot be a yard stick. Blusmart has access to Tata dedicated workshops for all services and technical issues so we don't come to know of the issues. Also the driver can get any car on a daily basis, he doesn't stick to one car. Bad cars can be easily taken out of rotation. I myself have seen Blusmart cabs get towed on a flat bed.

There were 19,436 EVs sold by Tata in Q1 of FY 2024. Lets assume near 50% is Tiago EV so 10,000 cars in 3 months. How many critical failures have we seen reported?. I see one in our forum which was related to MCU failure (unique according to me as i have not heard of a similar failure in any other Tiago EV or Nexon EV)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
The 300+ Volts Ziptron platform is being continously developed in house by Tata Motors. Tigor.ev too (for private sale) is now using Ziptron & the HV critical issues seems to be common to all Ziptron cars but visibility is more on Nexon Prime, Max & Tiago due to the sheer number of cars sold. I think Tigor on Ziptron is not selling as much as Nexon or Tiago (especially private registrations) to see similar errors being reported.
You are not 100% right . Yes Tigor EV is for private sale only. The cab version of Tigor is called Xpress-T. It now comes with ziptron architecture as well. All new Blusmart and uber green cabs are coming on ziptron architecture. It depends on how old your EV cab is it can be on the old or the new architecture.

Excerpt from the article -link

Quote:
The XPres-T EV, which was launched in July 2021, is the fleet-only version of the Tigor EV. It now gets Tata’s Ziptron high-voltage architecture that uses a permanent magnet synchronous electric motor producing 75hp and 170Nm. The electric compact sedan comes with two battery options — 26kWh and 25.5kWh — with 315km and 277km of ARAI-claimed range, respectively. The range of the 26kWh battery pack-equipped XPres-T is identical to the passenger-only Tigor EV, which was recently updated in November 2022.
ferrarirules is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks