Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2023, 09:34   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Our little vegetable-getter was delivered on Monday! Loving her so far. Done 200km already!
Pristine White Tiago EV Tech Lux top model!
Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_2363.jpg

We already own a Nexon EV and are very very happy with her. We plan on putting this car to the same use as the Nexon (i.e. in the city)
Steering is lighter, and switches on the wheel are of lesser quality than the Nexon, despite the nexon being a base model, and the Tiago, the other way around.

We have charged twice, but wh/km has been surprisingly lower than the Nexon, by quite a large margin. We get 185-195wh in the Nexon, and this one has been consistently returning 120-130wh in the same conditions. It's a new battery and a new car and we're adjusting to it. I predict 110-115wh in tight traffic conditions and less than a 100wh in zero traffic.
frankmehta is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 17:44   #392
BHPian

Range(displayed) dropped from 180kms to 133 kms after 500kms of drive. The claimed ARAI mileage 230 kms. A whopping 100 kms drop in a week in my Tiago EV MR.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-carmil.jpg  

Last edited by carheadbanger : 15th June 2023 at 17:45.
carheadbanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 18:10   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carheadbanger View Post
Range(displayed) dropped from 180kms to 133 kms after 500kms of drive. The claimed ARAI mileage 230 kms. A whopping 100 kms drop in a week in my Tiago EV MR.

What I have learnt over the past 2.5 months of owning the Tiago is to completely ignore the MID range figure and just focus on the WH/KM number. If it stays below the 120 mark, on my car that would suffice for about 200 kms, and that's how I calibrate how I drive.
roy_libran is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 21:10   #394
BHPian

Not so sure about the recall. The workshop has said the under warranty work is still with TATA for approval. But what I said was based on the report of guy I had sent. Could be just tech chatter. My apologies.
Old 15th June 2023, 21:12   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
What I have learnt over the past 2.5 months of owning the Tiago is to completely ignore the MID range figure and just focus on the WH/KM number. If it stays below the 120 mark, on my car that would suffice for about 200 kms, and that's how I calibrate how I drive.
The range figure needs to be ignored. I calculate the range as two kms per watt of charge.
Carcrazy60 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 02:12   #396
BHPian

With the release of the Nexon Max and Tiago EV, I've noticed an increase in battery in new Tata cars. Although I am in the market for an EV, I have put off making a purchase because of these battery failure issues.

Question arises has Tata made shortcuts in quest to launch newer EV products at pocket friendly prices?
Old 17th June 2023, 09:58   #397
BHPian

When driving an EV, I have learnt never to rely on rated/stated range. Its my observation that EVs generally have cruising efficiency of 6-8 km/kwh. So just calculate the real range based on battery pack capacity in kwh x km/kwh. In the city, efficiency & thereby range would drop even further from above calculation.

eg: ZS ev has 50 kwh battery and highway efficiency of 6 km/kwh. real Range is about 50 x 6 = 300 km on the highway.

Similarly Tiago ev MR has ~20 kwh battery and probably highway efficiency of 7-8 km/kwh. Real range would be 140-160 km on the highway.

Tiago LR has 24 kwh battery, so range would probably be 170-190 km. May squeeze few kms more if driver is super efficient.

Last edited by Comrade : 17th June 2023 at 10:05.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 10:46   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
We have charged twice, but wh/km has been surprisingly lower than the Nexon, by quite a large margin. We get 185-195wh in the Nexon, and this one has been consistently returning 120-130wh in the same conditions. It's a new battery and a new car and we're adjusting to it. I predict 110-115wh in tight traffic conditions and less than a 100wh in zero traffic.
185-195 wh/km for the Nexon seems a little too high, I have averaged 125-135 wh/km 95% of the time in Bangalore traffic and have never seen it go more than 145 anytime. Has it deteriorated over time?
Sandegov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:24   #399
BHPian

Hi everyone. This is my first post on TBHP

I own a Tiago EV LR XZ+ and have covered close to 3800Km in 2 months, This car has become my daily driver putting my Ntorq to a comatose state ( It still has fuel in its tank from Feb 2023). My Hexa XTA is used only for long drives 3-4 times in a year or airport runs.

Coming back to the Tiago, I am able to manage a wh/km of 110-125 in normal Bangalore driving conditions leading to a 180-190km range. On a recent BLR to Chennai run, I was able to get a very efficient 95WH/km for the whole trip, translating to a superb 240+ km of range.

All in all a very superb car and I am happy I picked this over the eC3 or other ICE Automatic
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-tiago.jpeg  

mally2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:09   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
On a recent BLR to Chennai run, I was able to get a very efficient 95WH/km for the whole trip, translating to a superb 240+ km of range.

All in all a very superb car and I am happy I picked this over the eC3 or other ICE Automatic
Congrats Mally on the EV purchase.

I am very surprised to see inter city run so quickly after purhcase. I am sure you would have done decent planning for your charging stations.
Old 19th June 2023, 12:27   #401
BHPian

Could not go ahead with the cancellation of my booking as we needed a car by the end of the year and Tiago EV is still the one to beat in its segment.
Hence, took the delivery of White XZ+ yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-pxl_20230618_174953898.jpg  

Last edited by VaibhavShatna95 : 19th June 2023 at 12:31.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 12:47   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukash View Post

I am very surprised to see inter city run so quickly after purhcase. I am sure you would have done decent planning for your charging stations.
Oh that is nothing. There is this gentle man from Kerala who took his brand new Nexon EV all the way to Ladak on its third day.

He might look like your friendly neighbourhood paint shop owner but in reality he is a superman in disguise.
electric_eel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 14:22   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukash View Post

Thanks sir. I live in a 1500+ unit gated apartment, even though I am a tenant, the association is forward thinking and have installed a 15A socket in 10% of the parking slots randomly, I was able to swap my slot to another gentleman who has the luck socket but doesn't own a ev Association charges me a modest fee of 1000/month ( price expected to go a bit higher shortly ).
We are soon expected to get multiple Bolt EV 3.3kw charging stations in the visitor parking soon

Additionally there is a 120kw Shell FC 1Km away. So I am covered

Pics attached
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-tiago-2.jpeg  

mally2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 23:35   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Thanks sir. I live in a 1500+ unit gated apartment, even though I am a tenant, the association is forward thinking and have installed a 15A socket in 10% of the parking slots randomly, I was able to swap my slot to another gentleman who has the luck socket but doesn't own a ev Association charges me a modest fee of 1000/month ( price expected to go a bit higher shortly ).
We are soon expected to get multiple Bolt EV 3.3kw charging stations in the visitor parking soon

Additionally there is a 120kw Shell FC 1Km away. So I am covered

Pics attached
I believe Bangaloreans are way ahead in the EV journey than rest of us.
Old 20th June 2023, 01:18   #405
BHPian

Tata Tiago Electric Review-img_20230606_190456.jpg

Just bought my first car, and it's an EV!

Boring backstory (feel free to skip):

I've never owned a car before. I've been riding bikes all this time and felt I didn't need a car in a place as crowded as Delhi. My wife was happy with her scooter, I'm happy with my bike, and we don't have kids. So it didn't seem necessary.

However, since I work from home and my wife has to commute to her office daily, safety became a bit of a concern. Riding a scooter daily has its drawbacks, like exposure to weather (too hot in summer, too cold in winter, it rains sometimes, and of course the dust pollution). So she wanted a car.

While I'm purely a biker and not really into cars apart from binging episodes of Top Gear / Grand Tour, I was reluctant at the idea. So we laid down some ground rules. She wasn't going to budge on an automatic. Which I agreed since she'll be doing a lot of driving in rush hour traffic. I insisted on a car that's safe and ideally as small as possible, since we don't need a land yacht and Delhi traffic can be a hassle, along with parking in tight spots.

Why the EV?

Long story short, I kept coming back to the tantalizing idea of owning an EV. Checked out many options and none of them really ticked enough boxes on our list. Our first choice was the Honda Jazz because three different close friends of ours owned them in the past and gave absolutely stellar rave long-term ownership reviews. Two of them had to get rid of it because of Delhi's scrappage scam-- I mean, scheme. So that was a no-brainer, with Honda's legendary reliability and all.

BUT. Honda went and discontinued the Jazz and WRV right as we were interested in shopping around. Heartbreak.

My wife then fell in love with the Honda Amaze. I wasn't a fan of its looks, but once I got past that, the problem was its size. I really felt like a small hatch is best for our needs, and the Amaze is definitely not in that category.

I liked the i20 simply because of its mad looks and snazzy interior. My wife hated it specifically because of its mad looks and snazzy interior. So that was out.

Meanwhile, this entire time, a dark and tantalizing thought kept lurking in my mind. What if I went electric? But right off the bat, there's not many good options.

Or were there? The Tiago EV dropped and I felt much like a deer in headlights. My wife was not too impressed at first.

Finally, we had a long discussion about it and I basically got her to agree to at least give it a chance. Let's just check it out in person and see for ourselves. Bear in mind, the main reason to buy a car was for her use, not mine, so I acquiesced and told her the final decision would be hers alone.

(A little bit about my wife: We're total opposites. She's level-headed, street-smart, very laid-back and not prone to impulsive decisions. Meanwhile I'm the opposite. I suspect she married me purely for the entertainment value of living with a man-child, or perhaps she lost a bet. It's a mystery, and I've given up trying to figure it out. Now back to the story.)

The "Shut Up and Take My Money" Meme Moment:

So we went for a test drive. And next thing I know, my usually calm, careful, methodical head-before-heart wife was dropping the booking money then and there. Eight weeks later we had the power charging point installed and the car parked downstairs. We went for the second-from-the-top end model, the long range one. The top model is identical, the only difference is that you get a fast charging point installed at your home rather than a slow-charger (which is what we went for).

Of course it was a bit overwhelming, since we're new not just to EVs but cars in general. We're still learning to drive but getting better at it daily. And we had the usual range-anxiety-freakout that appears to be a normal thing for EV owners at first, now we don't worry about it at all.

The overall sales experience was a breeze. Of course, as total car newbies we have no real frame of reference here, but there were no hassles or complications. When we booked it, our sales guy told us it would be six to eight weeks. And sure enough, eight weeks later it was home. Simple as that.

Being an "Early" Adopter

Of course, no matter how much research you do and advice you seek, buying a car always comes with at least some unknowns. There's no guarantee that you will never face any problems. And many friends advised me against an EV, but ultimately it just made the most sense overall.

There's a Catch-22 situation with EVs. They're still considered new and untested, so a lot of people won't buy them. But then because a lot of people won't buy them, EVs are considered new and untested. It's a closed loop.

The whole Climate Change / Environmentalism thing, a Quick Rant:

I want to point out that I've been yelling about climate change since 1996, and rode a bicycle everywhere through my 20s because environment blah blah blah. I still think it's easily one of the biggest problems humanity faces as a species and threatens our very survival.

But I'll be honest, that's not why I went for an EV. At least, it's not very high on the list. Ultimately, it was the hassle of high fuel costs, the scrappage policies, and the fact that I'm not mechanically savvy enough that I'll get ripped off by mechanics and such.

EVs are polarizing politically, because on one end of the spectrum, you got people who yell about how EVs are a scam, they're not "real" cars, the battery causes a ton of environmental destruction and are not recyclable and whatnot. And on the other end of the spectrum, you got the hippie types with stars in their eyes that think EVs will single-handedly stop climate change or something. And both are wrong.

As someone wiser than I said it best: the EV isn't here to save the world. It's here to save the car. That's all. It's just one of a million steps we need to take to combat climate change. And yes, the battery is problematic when you consider things like lithium mining in inhumane conditions and whatnot.

Political rant over, back to the car and more lighthearted bits lol.

The Ridiculous Questions I've Been Asked

Probably the most unexpected part of buying an EV was the level of almost hilarious ignorance from friends / family / co-workers.

I mean I get it, EVs are not perfect. Range anxiety, battery issues, lack of charging infrastructure, the purely subjective thing of whether it feels like driving a "real" car or not, all that stuff. And that's fair, and we shouldn't sugar-coat EVs as though they're some magical solution to the world's problems or anything. We should be pragmatic and skeptical in all things, as always.

BUT!

Some of the things I've heard made me and my wife laugh and roll our eyes.

A sampling:

* "But what if it rains?" Okay, seriously? It's not a laptop, it's as weatherproof as any other vehicle. Do people really think a light drizzle would cause the car to short-circuit and die like a phone being dropped into a swimming pool or something? And these are college-educated people saying stuff like this with a serious face. Hilarious.

* "Won't it run up your electricity bill?" Have these people never filled a tank of petrol and noticed how much it costs? What's going on in their minds here. Yes, it does add to your electricity bill, but even the most die-hard EV-hating petrolhead would grudgingly admit that it's not even close to the cost of petrol, especially here in India.

* "What if it breaks down?" Apparently petrol cars never, ever break down either? I don't know what to tell you. I'm no mechanical expert but it's a simple hard fact that EVs have much simpler engines, far less moving parts, it's about as simple as a motor can get, mechanically. That said, the battery is more prone to causing problems, of course. But my point is, no car is so perfect that it would never break down ever. Ultimately, this falls under the "it's a risk but we can't predict the future" part of our decision-making.

* "But it's untested technology" Well yes, but... also no, not really. Electric cars were invented before the petrol engine. And while it's relatively new for ordinary consumers to buy electric cars, it's a technology that's been around for longer than people think, and there's a big incentive for automotive giants to invest heavily into it. There's a strong drive to keep improving the technology and charging. Every major carmaker worth their salt is putting out practical EVs now. Not just for an arguably fringe group trying to make a statement (like when the Prius first came out) but for the common man.

* "What if you have power cuts?" Sure, but we don't drive so much that we need to recharge it every single night. With our usage, we only need to charge it around once or twice a week. And just like with our phones and laptops, we tend not to let the battery run down to below half before we charge it again. We don't get many power cuts anyway in our neighborhood so we don't see this as a problem. As a bonus, there's a fast charging station right in our neighborhood, so we could use that if there's an issue charging at home and get it topped up within 50 minutes.

* "Doesn't it drain the battery heavily when using the AC?" I mean technically it does, but it's actually better in an EV, because you can crank up the AC even if you're not driving, it makes little difference. Compare with petrol cars where if you use the AC and electronics heavily without the engine running you risk draining the battery. So it's actually better.

The Tiago EV Experience So Far (Just Under Two Months In):

Honestly, it's been great. Now the car's still kind of brand new, so of course this is the honeymoon period where everything's awesome.

Pros and Cons:

Range anxiety was a thing at first. When the battery was at 75% I was panicking and wanted to charge it up. But eventually the wife and I realized this was silly, since we don't drive long distances anyway (that's what our bike is for, a Kawasaki Vulcan) and there's plenty of range for our uses at any time. I did really careful calculations of the range and distances we were doing because I was paranoid that the battery could be faulty, since I've heard many horror stories about EVs. But ultimately it's fine. So far it seems we get somewhere between 150 and 200 km range, which is about as expected, especially considering the Delhi summer heat and AC usage, and that we're still learning to drive, so it would probably improve as we drive better and the weather cools later this year.

That torque though. I've heard about EVs having insane torque right from zero, and now I know for myself that it's not hype. It's just lovely. I know the Tiago isn't meant to be some Tesla-killer or sporty monster like the Kia EV6 (which makes me drool), after all it's an economical hatchback and the cheapest EV from Tata's range. But it was still surprising.

It's cheap, but not cheap-feeling. Again, I'm no petrolhead, being a biker primarily. But one thing I'm really loving about the Tiago is that nothing on it feels cheap. It's just nice all around, great sound system, decent array of features, it all feels like a good place to be in. I didn't think I'd like driving so much!

And finally, a weird quirk I'm noticing slowly: It's almost too quiet. I've started to realize that people simply don't notice the car because it makes no noise at all. I tend never to use the horn except in absolute emergencies, so I'm training myself to honk more often, especially when pedestrians are walking around oblivious.

Meanwhile, inside the car, the driving experience is a little strange-- not because it's so quiet inside, but because you more clearly hear the tyres and A/C running and it seems louder than it should be. Others have pointed this out too. But friends and family have pointed out how quiet it is and were impressed.

Well that was my coffee-fueled rant. I look forward to writing a more long-term review once I've lived with this strange cute car for a little longer than two months.

Thanks for reading!
marcussantiago is offline   (116) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks