Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2023, 11:36   #421
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeshmbalaji View Post
mine is a very small 120 units society
Mine is 1500+ flat prestige society, They aren't conductive yet for EV personal chargers or personal sockets and insisting on bolt fast charing option that they have installed. We are trying though

Last edited by sunilarkt : 23rd June 2023 at 11:38. Reason: spelling
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:52   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
And yes, the battery is problematic when you consider things like lithium mining in inhumane conditions and whatnot.
Loved your post and I am very impressed at your clarity of thought and the ability to resist the advice of friends & family to make an independent decision.

One thing I would like to point out though: Lithium mining has its cons in terms of requiring too much water etc but is not inhumane in any way. It's kinda like salt extraction where lithium is extracted from lithium brine water through evaporation.

Cobalt and Nickel which is used even in laptop and phone batteries is what is associated to inhumane practices but Tata uses LFP which doesn't contain these minerals and hence more environmentally and socially friendly.
shyampsunder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 13:59   #423
BHPian

I heard it’s limited to only 120 km/hr? Is this true? If true then highway use will be nearly impossible, still alright for city use though.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 15:54   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I heard it’s limited to only 120 km/hr? Is this true? If true then highway use will be nearly impossible, still alright for city use though.
I am not sure whether there is a speed limiter in built into the car. Even if there is one it hardly matters in India (unless you want to rob a bank i.e). Most highways in India except some so called "express ways" have 100 Kmph as their legal speed limit. Also due to the unscientific construction (speed breaker at the merging point of the highway) and the lack of discipline in driving, even 100 is suicidal most of the time.

So I disagree with your comment that "it will be impossible to use it on highways".
electric_eel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 16:04   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Also due to the unscientific construction (speed breaker at the merging point of the highway) and the lack of discipline in driving, even 100 is suicidal most of the time.

So I disagree with your comment that "it will be impossible to use it on highways".
I might clarify, it would be impossible for me. If you drive slower, then it’s not an issue.

I’ve driven tens of thousands of kms on our expressways and never found speed breakers at merging lanes so can’t relate.

100 is far from suicidal, most expressways today are smooth enough (and safe enough) to easily cross 100, it depends on the driver and the capability of the car. Case in point, try the Ahmedabad-Vadodara e way or the Delhi-Mumbai e way and you’ll change your mind. Some good ones in Punjab as well I can’t recall the names of.

Last edited by AJ56 : 23rd June 2023 at 16:07.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 16:45   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I might clarify, it would be impossible for me. If you drive slower, then it’s not an issue.

I’ve driven tens of thousands of kms on our expressways and never found speed breakers at merging lanes so can’t relate.

100 is far from suicidal, most expressways today are smooth enough (and safe enough) to easily cross 100, it depends on the driver and the capability of the car. Case in point, try the Ahmedabad-Vadodara e way or the Delhi-Mumbai e way and you’ll change your mind. Some good ones in Punjab as well I can’t recall the names of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I am not sure whether there is a speed limiter in built into the car. Even if there is one it hardly matters in India (unless you want to rob a bank i.e). Most highways in India except some so called "express ways" have 100 Kmph as their legal speed limit. Also due to the unscientific construction (speed breaker at the merging point of the highway) and the lack of discipline in driving, even 100 is suicidal most of the time.

Quote:
Tiago EV is a city car. You can take it out on a highway if you have to have to, like to prove a point. But that’s not what it is made for. Even Nexon EV, for that matter. These cars have no business being on modern expressways where you need to maintain three digit speeds. Performance tails off dramatically after 80kmph, while battery depletes very very quickly. Electric cars are seen dime a dozen on the highways around Delhi, and they are all usually driven in the middle lane at speeds of 60-80.

In my opinion, the ZS EV is the minimum EV that can genuinely and consistently maintain speeds of 90-120kmph and still give a range of 180-200km.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:10   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Tiago EV is a city car. You can take it out on a highway if you have to have to, like to prove a point. But that’s not what it is made for.
My point is that 120 Kmph is the maximum legal speed limit on all highways/expressways in India to the best of my knowledge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_limits_in_India

So going beyond it is illegal in India any way.

Most highways the realistic speed limits should be much lower (Case in point NH544 which has broken all principles of high way design I can think of, including but not limited to, speed breakers on merge points, arbitrary narrowing of lanes, pedestrian crossing (zebra lines) at ending of fly overs, confusing traffic lights at junctions)
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:19   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Tiago EV is a city car. You can take it out on a highway if you have to have to, like to prove a point. But that’s not what it is made for. Even Nexon EV, for that matter. These cars have no business being on modern expressways where you need to maintain three digit speeds. Performance tails off dramatically after 80kmph, while battery depletes very very quickly. Electric cars are seen dime a dozen on the highways around Delhi, and they are all usually driven in the middle lane at speeds of 60-80.

In my opinion, the ZS EV is the minimum EV that can genuinely and consistently maintain speeds of 90-120kmph and still give a range of 180-200km.
Second you on that - my Nexon EV Max is strictly a city beater car and its the best at it without a doubt! I dont see myself taking it out on highways for long drives with family.
Old 23rd June 2023, 17:58   #429
Senior - BHPian

Tiago (petrol or EV) is a small car, driving it at >120kmph is very dangerous particularly on our roads.

Give me a Tiago petrol I will never cross 100kmph on any expressway in India.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 18:24   #430
BHPian

Question here:

I see most EV cars have battery warranty of 5 or 7 years.
If the battery is changed after say some 7-8 years. And the manufacturer replaces it with a new battery.
Will the new battery also get 5 or 7 years warranty ?
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:09   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukash View Post
I believe Bangaloreans are way ahead in the EV journey than rest of us.
EV adoption in Bangalore has been pretty brisk. Nexon & lately Tiago EVs are all over the place. OLAs & Athers too are way common now. And almost every decent sized apartment now has charging station installed. I posted about the one in ours' more than a year back. Nowadays I can see its mostly occupied by scooters and cars charging all the time. Vendor : ElectricPe

Link (Electrifying India's apartment buildings | How will you charge your EV in your parking spot?)

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd June 2023 at 19:10.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 19:56   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Attachment 2466239

Just bought my first car, and it's an EV! ...
Thanks for reading!
Thanks for sharing a very entertaining read Marcus! I really enjoyed reading that on a slow Friday afternoon. Was especially interesting to hear your perspective as someone totally new to 4 wheelers essentially. Hope you and your wife continue to enjoy your new EV for many years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
One thing I would like to point out though: Lithium mining has its cons in terms of requiring too much water etc but is not inhumane in any way. It's kinda like salt extraction where lithium is extracted from lithium brine water through evaporation.
One line of thinking to get around the water usage concerns is to actually try and extract lithium from water already being drawn up, an example being pursued by Cornish Lithium down in Cornwall. Obviously this only works in certain geographic areas where you have the right geology in the subsurface but it demonstrates a very useful example of how you can have a holistic multi pronged industry that both provides a key resource for the energy transition (lithium and other minerals/metals present in the hot fluids extracted) and clean geothermal energy for heating or direct energy use. I'm tempted indeed to chase up via contacts at the Geological Survey of India whether anyone's looked to be doing similar such work in India when I'm next in country. I should caveat of course that while the geothermal energy itself has just come online in Cornwall, last I spoke to the team at Cornish Lithium they're not quite at full scale yet.
ads11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2023, 22:13   #433

Very well written Marcus. Especially loved the "i20" bit and the probable reason you both got married (the one where your wife lost a bet). Your writing style is hinting that you are in the "Writing" field.... This is one more perk of being a BHPian: loads of literature to learn vocab and writing styles.
anijonnybravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 13:15   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
The association is forward thinking and have installed a 15A socket in 10% of the parking slots randomly
We are soon expected to get multiple Bolt EV 3.3kw charging stations in the visitor parking soon
My friend has rented an apartment in Kerala that was constructed approx 15 years ago. While everyone was enthusiastic about installing EV charging facility (it has become a bragging right for the apartment owners, it seems) disagreements over initial fixed expenses have crept in.

Finally they seemed to have taken a leaf out of Bangalore apartments and are contemplating handing over common area / visitors parking to professionally managed EV charging station operators in exchange for a fee (currently these associations are earning through ads in lifts and common areas). But then again some apartment owners are wary to give general public access to their gated areas for EV charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijli View Post
The society I live in is quoting some obscure guidelines as to why they can't allow 15A sockets for charging in basement. Lucky you!
It’s an ironic situation consider your TBhp user name

Last edited by Voodooblaster : 24th June 2023 at 13:17. Reason: Grammer
Voodooblaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 19:45   #435
BHPian

To all Tiago EV owners, what will be the minimum range in S mode. Planning to replace my i10 auto with this as getting a good deal on a yet to be delivered car as the owner has changed his mind and the car is already registered on his name. My daily running is 50kms. Assuming a range of 100-120 kms will have to charge thrice a week.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks