Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Guess you got the quote mixed up

It was Vivek who had asked about shooting without a lens
i just hit the multi quote button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Hey SLR gurus,

Thanks for the detailed response. I think that 500D indeed is good value for money but you also mentioned about D90 being the better camera. So we have the following now:

1. Canon 500D+18-55 IS+55-250 IS=51 K approx
2. Nikon D90 + 18-105 VR=58K approx (Lens price: 13K)
3. For more flexibility in general & telephoto: Nikon D90 (45000)+18-55 DX VR(7000)+ 55-200 DX VR (12000): 64 K to provide with the similar config as the canon, for better wildlife photography or is 18-105 deemed enough

The choice is very clear if one decided on Canon. However, if one decides on the Nikon which one would you feel is a better deal. The difference between option 2 & 3 is around 10%.

Also, if one decides on Nikkor DX lenses, I understand there could be a challenge if one decided to go a full frame DSLR in the future. Is the challenge same for canon as well.

Guru, please let us know of your thoughts and insights!

Best,
You cannot compare D90 to 500D, if you want to compare, please compare 50D with D90 as that makes more sense.

Dx/DC/Efs/etc are Lenses designed for Crop factor bodies and hence image projection circle is small and when going to full frame it will cause Vignetting and in most cases black empty space around the circle of image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
I got the same feeling when I saw the Kit spec. I am actually more inclined towards the D90 but nothing is final as yet. On the IS front, option 3 has lenses which are VR (So the IS part is taken care of). do you feel 55-200 mm is good enough or I need to go higher. Atleast its better than the Kit lens on offer.

Also, body with the standard lens configuration would be easier to lug around for general duties as it is expected to be lighter.
Nikon 55-200mm IS A KIT LENS. Nikon 18-105mm is far better in both Image Quality and Build Quality wise, than other kit lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
if you prefer wide angle shots, then the 55-200mm should be fine or even the standard kit lens (sorry i'm not familiar with the latest Nikor lenses).
55-200mm for wide angle shots ????????? Its 82.5-300mm on an 1.5x crop body. Maybe in terms of 645 body it will act as a normal lens but still not a wife angle lens by any margin.

Nikon-Canon provide quite similar kit lenses for consumers.

Cheers
Old 6th January 2010, 00:02   #2687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
You can shoot without a lens, in literal terms there will be nothing on the sensor just white blown out image.
How about a finerprint on sensor?
Old 6th January 2010, 01:09   #2688
BHPian

I am planning to buy a DSLR this week and zeroed it to Canon 500D but i am bit confused now. Is Nikon D5000 better than Canon 500D? I want to goto Nikon D5000 and add a lens for the same costs of Canon 500D since it costs lesser... Guru's please help..

1. What features i might miss if i buy Nikon D5000 instead of Canon 500D ?
2. What are the advantages & disadvantages of buying Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D ?
3. Is Canon 500D worth to buy instead of Nikon D5000 ?
4. What are the other lens options i can upgrade instead of the Nikon's regular lens kit 18-55 VR, my love is to shoot landscapes and normal stationary things like flowers, posters & basic usage. (budget up to 50k for both body & lens)
Old 6th January 2010, 01:34   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Actually good question, Finger print on a sensor should be visible or not, i am not sure.

Theoratically anything on the sensor (like a scratch) should be visible even at wide open apertures. Not sure about anything positive.

But we are not touching the sensor directly, we are merely touching the vibrating cleaning filter or IR cut off filter (if cleaning system is not in place). So this should have some effect on whether the print/scratch will be in focus or not at wide open apertures. At higher F# it should be in focus.

Now to think of it, i did had a D3 which had a 6-8mm scratch right on the sensor (ir cut off filter) and it was visible at all apetures uptp f1.2, so i guess, a finger print should be visible on the sensor, how visible, i really cannot say.

But this does give us another topic for a debate.

Cheers
Old 6th January 2010, 08:25   #2690
Senior - BHPian

People who are considering entering into the DSLR money pit and those who're asking which camera to buy should have an idea of what they need. You should go over the reviews of each camera on sites like
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ
Camera Labs: Digital Camera, DSLR, and Lens Reviews. Recommended cameras
Canon Digital SLR Camera and Lens Reviews at The-Digital-Picture.com
Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide and Nikon Flash Guide
Digital Photography - Camera reviews, Guides, FAQs and other Information about Digital Imaging
to familiarise self with the DSLR scene and what kind of features comes with each camera and how different is it from the other model.

Also reading about digital photography helps which can tell you what kind of features you might need for your kind of shooting.
Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School
Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Once you go have read and understood about features each camera offer and once you have realised what kind of feature you might need from your camera (for eg: Canon 1000D doesn't have spot metering, its Competitior D3000 has. But D3000 doesn't have a depth of field preview, 1000D has. D3000 has a CCD sensor, 1000D has a CMOS sensor etc) it will be easier for you to decide. And if you're still confused, you can ask the experts here (i'm not - Rudra, it_inspector, Samurai, and few others are) for a quick decision based on what you want. If you do not know what you want or what the features mean then experts cannot help you much.

If reading the reviews etc sounds like too much work then pick up which ever kit that fits your budget. All of them provide great image quality. All of them have quality kit lenses too. And you will be satisfied with the results.

Also if possible you should try to go to a store and try out cameras on your options list. Some of them will feel better to hold and use than others, its entirely a personal thing, some of them have better ergonomics you have to find your match.
Old 6th January 2010, 09:23   #2691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Quote:
Theoratically anything on the sensor (like a scratch) should be visible even at wide open apertures. Not sure about anything positive.
As per my experience, any dust on the sensor shows up in the pictures, if they are taken with narrow apertures like f/22 etc. If you take a picture in wide apertures, you can't really spot any dust especially when the picture has lots of details. It may appear in the pictures of sky and plain surfaces.

If you want to inspect your sensor for dust, just aim at the sky or a white wall, and take a picture, stop down at f/22 or something.

Fingerprint on the sensor can also show up but may not be visible in everyday shots.

I recently cleaned my sensor and got rid of that fungus growth with lint free paper mildly socked in lens cleaning liquid. It worked well.
Old 6th January 2010, 11:18   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
55-200mm for wide angle shots ????????? Its 82.5-300mm on an 1.5x crop body. Maybe in terms of 645 body it will act as a normal lens but still not a wife angle lens by any margin.
comparatively. he ain't taking pictures in a room, he's taking it outside. so at even at 100-200mt, 55 is wide enough. also, since he'll need bit of zoom, a 55-200mm should work out just fine. IMHO.
Old 6th January 2010, 17:24   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
comparatively. he ain't taking pictures in a room, he's taking it outside. so at even at 100-200mt, 55 is wide enough. also, since he'll need bit of zoom, a 55-200mm should work out just fine. IMHO.
Doesn't matter where image are being taken, AOV will still be 28 degrees at max (dx format) which is by no stretch even normal let alone wide.

It can be called a landscape lens but definitely not wide angle.

Cheers
Old 6th January 2010, 17:34   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Doesn't matter where image are being taken, AOV will still be 28 degrees at max (dx format) which is by no stretch even normal let alone wide.
It can be called a landscape lens but definitely not wide angle.
Cheers
+1
55-200 can't be called a wide lens in any way. If it's a 1.5 crop sensor, then its 82.5mm minimum. No way near wide. It can be a portrait lens.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th January 2010 at 17:36.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:09   #2695
BHPian

If you compare the Nikon D5000 and the Canon 500D - the Canon wins, hands down.

Look, the "Canon or Nikon" flame wars have been discussed to death for many many years, and the simple answer is: "It depends"

You're buying into a "Lens system" the moment you buy any of the brands, and that should be taken into account too. Each model from both brands has its ups and downs.

If you're buying your first DSLR, and you don't yet know what you like to shoot, blindly choose between the D90 or the 500D. Both are great cameras. Buy the kit lens only.

Figure out what you like to shoot: Wildlife? Portraits? Landscapes? Birds? In-Studio? Street life? Haven't figured it out yet?

Depending on the answer, you can figure out what budget you need (to save up for in the case of Wildlife/birds :-) )

If the answer is "don't know yet, want to experiment" I'd start with a Canon 500D kit with a 50mm 1.8, and evaluate my "real" needs after one year.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:52   #2696
Senior - BHPian

@it_inspector, clevermax

i wasn't referring to getting results similar to ones taken from a wide-angle lens, but just wide shots. thanks for the clarification though
Old 7th January 2010, 13:33   #2697
BHPian

Using circular GND and CPL filters together?

I have been using CPL for sometime now and have recently bought a circular GND (2 stops). Now my queries are:

1. Is is advisable to stack up these filters while taking a shot?

2. If one can stack up these 2, what's the protocol? Does the GND screws first to the lens and the CPL over it or is it the reverse? Please enlighten me on this.

I am pretty confused as of now!
Old 7th January 2010, 16:02   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
@it_inspector, clevermax

i wasn't referring to getting results similar to ones taken from a wide-angle lens, but just wide shots. thanks for the clarification though
You can definitely do that but during hot temps, thermal convection will ruin shots and there will be no sharpness.

Point of wide angle lens is not to capture a lot, whole point of WA or UWA lenses is to get u as close as possible to the subject and i mean sometimes as close as few inches or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I have been using CPL for sometime now and have recently bought a circular GND (2 stops). Now my queries are:

1. Is is advisable to stack up these filters while taking a shot?

2. If one can stack up these 2, what's the protocol? Does the GND screws first to the lens and the CPL over it or is it the reverse? Please enlighten me on this.

I am pretty confused as of now!
Well u can stack as many filters as u wish to, just make sure Cpl goes first on the lens.

On the side note, rather than buying GND or ND circular filters, i suggest get Cokin P series, it gives crazy amount of options and Welding glass makes the best-cheapest ND10 filter as long as you use custom white balance.

Cheers
Old 7th January 2010, 16:41   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
Well u can stack as many filters as u wish to, just make sure Cpl goes first on the lens.

On the side note, rather than buying GND or ND circular filters, i suggest get Cokin P series, it gives crazy amount of options and Welding glass makes the best-cheapest ND10 filter as long as you use custom white balance.
Cheers
Thanks a lot for the clarification and a suggestion to contemplate upon.
Old 7th January 2010, 16:42   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Have a question - will a 50mm primes lens (EF 50mm) be 50mm on a APS-C mount? Or will the 1.6x crop factor apply to it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks