Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2011, 14:05   #7696
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You are the first one to give a positive feedback although I posted it in few places, thanks for that. In fact its a test shot (so it was posted here), my first attempt on filter vs long exposure. Learning is anyway fun
Shaju, as they say, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Learning is fun and learning is for everyone.

Cheers!
Old 31st May 2011, 14:26   #7697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amit are you sure ?
Please re-check your canon, if its true, it is a lovely feature to have for long exposures, avoids camera shake and a frozen hand
Check the picture of this remote,

Amazon.com: Canon Remote Switch RS60 E3: Camera & Photo

In bulb mode you just need to slide the button up and leave it as is and to release toggle once more. This is original canon but all the cheaper chines clones have this. So check your remote once more .

There is another kind commonly known as intervalometer , using this kind of remote you can actually time the exposure that you want to keep shutter open for 15 sec or 25 sec.

Timer Remote for Canon 60D/350D/400D/

Same functionality is provided by Magic lantern software on 500D , 550D , 60D , 7D and 5D MK5 with out use of wired remote. ( I have personally not tried ML for intervelometer functionality yet)

Anyway if your D700 has timer feature doesn't it allow to time in bulb mode (intervelometer) or I am asking for too much?
Old 31st May 2011, 15:08   #7698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As far as I understand, one needs to press and hold even the wired remote for the required time, except the ones which comes with a timer on it, which off-course will be expensive.
Most wired report have the "hold" switch. So you press shutter button, flick the hold switch. So you do not have to stay with the camera as long as its taking the picture.
These cost max 7$ on ebay (+ registered shipping for $2)
I myself have purchased a couple of these, and once I even built one using an old telephone box for my 350D.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:46   #7699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think 30 sec is more than enough one needs !!!
Highly subjective, you should try star trails, 15 mts (900 secs) is not enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
.....In bulb mode you just need to slide the button up and leave it as is and to release toggle once more. ......
Anyway if your D700 has timer feature doesn't it allow to time in bulb mode (intervelometer) or I am asking for too much?
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was thinking you were referring to Canon cameras that has the bulb mode shutter release lock on the camera itself. Wired remote, yes I understand they come with or without lock features based on the cost. Expensive ones come with timer functions.

Interval shooting function on D700 is only for interval capturing, you can set the total time, interval between shots and the number of shots within that period etc. cam will start on the fixed time and end the task provided battery lasts ! Bulb mode is not at all connected to it, for that Nikon recommends wired remote like the MC-30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Most wired remote have the "hold" switch. So you press shutter button, flick the hold switch. So you do not have to stay with the camera as long as its taking the picture.
Correct. D700 requires a 10 pin remote cable, nothing else will work on this. Anyone has heard of Satechi brand from San Diego ? They have cable remote and battery pack for 1/5th of the Nikon price. Any other alternative brands ?

Remote is not in my list now, but a battery grip is something I am used to on the D90, without which last 2 fingers of the right hand is strained with the weight. I am NOT going to get a Nikon grip for 12k+, thats an insane pricing for a better grip. D90 battery grip design was good, fix it and forget it type, both batteries could be easily taken out and charged. D700 grip is designed weird, one battery will be in the cam body and one will be in the grip, so every time one has to unscrew the grip to take out the cam battery. I dont know what they were smoking while designing it !!

Last edited by shajufx : 31st May 2011 at 15:48.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:50   #7700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was thinking you were referring to Canon cameras that has the bulb mode shutter release lock on the camera itself. Wired remote, yes I understand they come with or without lock features based on the cost. Expensive ones come with timer functions.
Canon cameras cannot do this. you either need a wireless remote, or a wired release with "hold" function

Quote:
Anyone has heard of Satechi brand from San Diego ? They have cable remote and battery pack for 1/5th of the Nikon price. Any other alternative brands ?
brand is irrelevant in case of wired remotes. Buy any. Its just a switch with with a wire connected to camera. No electronics in there. All brands work equally. Sometimes, the switches(which is actually a metal plate with a contact) can get stuck, so just open up the unit, and do a 2 minute DIY fix.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:03   #7701

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think 30 sec is more than enough one needs !!!
Hubble was pointed in dark section of sky for almost 6 months, scientists reckon, 6months exposure was not enough

Quote:
Remote is not in my list now, but a battery grip is something I am used to on the D90, without which last 2 fingers of the right hand is strained with the weight. I am NOT going to get a Nikon grip for 12k+, thats an insane pricing for a better grip. D90 battery grip design was good, fix it and forget it type, both batteries could be easily taken out and charged. D700 grip is designed weird, one battery will be in the cam body and one will be in the grip, so every time one has to unscrew the grip to take out the cam battery. I dont know what they were smoking while designing it !!
MB-D10 is great investment. Very good grip, yes its a bit retarted in sense of having to remove bg to get camera battery, but then again MB-D10 + En-EL4a = over 2000 shots in one go.

NOTE FROM MOD : Please use multi quote function when replying to multiple people. Please do not make back to back posts

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st May 2011 at 17:53.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:28   #7702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Highly subjective, you should try star trails, 15 mts (900 secs) is not enough
The bulb mode is for 30 minutes in d90. Did I miss anything?
Old 31st May 2011, 17:47   #7703
Senior - BHPian

Wired Motorola handsfree was used as a remote by a friend for his 450D. He's ihrishi or hrishid or such here. Cheap and best solution - the dealextreme/ebay ones take a LONG time to reach.
Old 31st May 2011, 17:54   #7704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Wired Motorola handsfree was used as a remote by a friend for his 450D. He's ihrishi or hrishid or such here. Cheap and best solution - the dealextreme/ebay ones take a LONG time to reach.
Actually, and 2.5mm earphone/handsfree can be used for this purpose.
Canon XXX-D series uses the easily available plug.
However, Nikon, and higher end canons use silly non standard plugs, so you have to order from abroad.
Alternatively, Nokia phone users can use the IR port of their phone as remote
Old 31st May 2011, 18:30   #7705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
The bulb mode is for 30 minutes in d90. Did I miss anything?
I was not referring to the max bulb mode possibility by quoting 15 mts, meant 30 secs is nothing when it comes to real usage. Total time varies model to model, D90 may be 30 mts, I am not sure. I have seen images that are taken middle of the night look like day time images with longer exposures.

Quote:
.....Nokia phone users can use the IR port of their phone as remote .....
Let me know if you have some tricks in the kitty to compensate a 10 pin remote cable release ! My damage has already crossed 225k, dont feel like spending anymore
Old 31st May 2011, 18:57   #7706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me know if you have some tricks in the kitty to compensate a 10 pin remote cable release ! My damage has already crossed 225k, dont feel like spending anymore
Spend a few $ more, and buy from ebay.com. Make sure you tell the seller you want to pay $2 extra for registered airmail shipping, otherwise, your remote may never reach
Old 31st May 2011, 19:14   #7707
Senior - BHPian

When I needed the 10 pin remote cable for my D 300, I hit jackpot on ebay for this model (N8) - http://www.phottix.com/en/wired-remo...ed-remote.html that was on auction. Bid for $ 4.99 and got it shipped to my friend's daughter in Singapore, who carried this for me.

I was very elated for having saved Rs. 4460/- for the original MC-30 from Nikon.

It worked when I tested and fired the shutter everytime but on the day I needed, it failed. I was in Sariska and had set up on tripod my camera attached with the shutter release waiting for the Tiger to emerge from the bush in the evening. The light was low. The tiger emerged, shutter release button on the remote cable pressed, it focussed true but the didn't fire. Panic gripped. Tried furiously several times but in vain. Tiger had crossed track and went into the bushes again. Very disappointed.

That cheap remote was highly erratic.

Got the original MC-30 from Singapore for Rs.3300/-

Quote:

Correct. D700 requires a 10 pin remote cable, nothing else will work on this. Anyone has heard of Satechi brand from San Diego ? They have cable remote and battery pack for 1/5th of the Nikon price. Any other alternative brands ?
Quote:

Quote:
Spend a few $ more, and buy from ebay.com. Make sure you tell the seller you want to pay $2 extra for registered airmail shipping, otherwise, your remote may never reach
Old 31st May 2011, 19:39   #7708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
When I needed the 10 pin remote cable for my D300, I hit jackpot on ebay.......but on the day I needed, it failed...........Got the original MC-30 from Singapore for Rs.3300/-
GD sahib, that can not be called a jackpot, because the tiger did not know about it Phottix is known for its faulty and cheap stuff, watch this video, , I saw this last month and never want to buy this brand. Original MC-30 is just 2900 with smartshoppers. I am looking for something within 700 bucks..
Old 31st May 2011, 20:02   #7709
Team-BHP Support

shaju, buy 2 of these, or 3 of these
Remote Shutter Release Cable For Nikon D200 D300 MC-30 | eBay
3$*3 + $2 for registered airmail shipping.
Test them beforehand, and take the best 2 with you.

Dealextreme ones are more reliable, but cost around $7-$10 (Yongbo etc.,)
Old 31st May 2011, 21:29   #7710
Senior - BHPian

GD saab,

I have a DX one. Since 1.5 years or so. Utterly reliable every single time. I refuse to believe that there is nothing between your initial Phottix and the MC30

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks