Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2013, 12:06   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1t1bet View Post
Does anyone know how ISP sales people can be dealt with?
I paid 4K advance to the ACT sales person (Manju - 9945595541) for their 50 mbps connection. This guy took the cash, and told me that within 7 working days connection will be activated. No one called me after 5 days, so I called their customer service. My application has not been lodged apparently (in their system). I called today again - and same response. My application has not been lodged in their system. The CS guy tells me that it will take 7 working days from the day application is lodged (which has not happened as of now, and it's been 7 working days since I paid the advance).
At the same time, this Manju fellow is not answering my calls at all. The only response I get, is if I call more than 20-30 time - he sends an SMS with text like "I will call you today sir", or "Sir, today we are coming to your place to fix the connection". However, none of these promises are kept, and neither does he ever answer the call.
My problem is that Saturday I am travelling abroad for 2 weeks. Knowing these CS guys, I know that if I am not reachable on my phone, nothing will get done. Does anyone know how I can escalate this issue?
Send email to their nodal officer describing the issue. And at the same time lodge a complaint at PGPortal = http://pgportal.gov.in/
Old 30th May 2013, 12:22   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Need desperate help from Mumbai members and especially from south Mumbai.

Which is the good broadband connection in Colaba area.
At home my (till a fortnight ago) phone was always showing 3G with proper signal strength. Now I see mostly EDGE and rarely 3G.
For my short requirement I was using my phone as hotspot because my other connection (DOCOMO Photon+) is a joke anyway.

I tried getting in touch with Airtel and got a message - "We thank you for your interest in Airtel Broadband. We regret to inform you that we are currently unable to process your request (ref. no. 174344326) due to non coverage of your area. We look forward to your patronage in the future".

I need a proper broadband and router here. Can somebody please give me some suggestion?
In Marine Drive I use Tata Indicom. Pretty good network, no lapses. But their customer service is pathetic. I wanted to change the plan, and they wanted me to wait for 1 month. In the beginning I accepted it and sent them a mail requesting the change.
After a month I called them, they said they haven't received any such request. (I verified the e-mail ID five times)
Then I lodged a complaint, long story short: they want me to wait for another 30 days.
At which point I said chuck it.

I also have an MTNL connection which I am very, very happy with. Very consistent speeds, no lapses. It's a 2mbps connection up tp 80gb. I requested for a high speed fibre optic line (20mbps for 150GB) but that's not available in my area as yet, they said.

Stick with MTNL, bond with your local mtnl linesman, anything that you need to get done after you get your connection can be done through him. Besides, most of their packages are less expensive than the competition.
Old 13th June 2013, 15:52   #348
BHPian

Anyone in Mumbai using Five Networks ? I'm thinking of switching over from Hathway (never provides promised speed, too slow). Plus I've heard a lot about their DC++ Hub, which is more like a substitute to downloading media using torrents.
Old 13th June 2013, 16:05   #349
BHPian

Out here in Hyderabad the name of the ISP I use is REACH Broadband. The speed I have subscribed for is 15 MBPS and the FUP is 30 GB. I pay 1100 every month.
The service is good and so is the customer service. They changed the plan for me in a matter of a few hours.
I would recommend this ISP to others.
Old 13th June 2013, 16:21   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Anyone in Mumbai using Five Networks ? I'm thinking of switching over from Hathway (never provides promised speed, too slow). Plus I've heard a lot about their DC++ Hub, which is more like a substitute to downloading media using torrents.
Yeah, been using it since June 2012. Absolutely no issues. Get it
Old 13th June 2013, 16:27   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Yeah, been using it since June 2012. Absolutely no issues. Get it
Okay, but is the FUP/Data Transfer Limit inclusive of what you download from the DC++ Hub ? I mean can I download 20GB from the HUB even if my plan permits 2GB ?
Old 13th June 2013, 16:33   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Okay, but is the FUP/Data Transfer Limit inclusive of what you download from the DC++ Hub ? I mean can I download 20GB from the HUB even if my plan permits 2GB ?
Why go for the FUP plans? The unlimited plans are pretty cheap, 475 for 512 kbps and 650 for 1 Mbps unlimited. And hub downloads won't be counted into the FUP.

http://www.fivenetwork.com/our-servi...ted-plans.html
Old 20th June 2013, 00:08   #353
BHPian

Guys I had to share this since I think I've got a pretty good connection recently as per Mumbai standards. Oh, And did I mention it's unlimited.
Attached Thumbnails
How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-image3710493662.jpg  

Old 20th June 2013, 01:10   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Why go for the FUP plans? The unlimited plans are pretty cheap, 475 for 512 kbps and 650 for 1 Mbps unlimited. And hub downloads won't be counted into the FUP.

http://www.fivenetwork.com/our-servi...ted-plans.html
What is this DC++ HUB download mean? How does it work as torrent?
Why does the HUB download not affect your plan download limits?
Old 20th June 2013, 01:29   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Tried calling Tata Docomo several times. Finally they called and said that they cant provide broadband service in my area. How can this be possible. As a service provider arent they not liable to provide service in a particular city and i stay in the suburbs, not on the outskirts etc where service can be an issue.

I want a proper broadband service but then not able to find a reliable one (no airtel / reliance for me) so thinking of going for the Vodafone Dongle. What to do
You must be as frustrated with Docomo answer as I am with every provider in my city.
Usually new ISP would reach your area when you arrange 10-20 connections which sounds odd, but I am asked to do so by one of broadband provider, yet to get 20 people.

for modem, do not buy it from any mobile operator, go for a universal modem like "huawei 303C" its around 1200-1300 everywhere from flipkart to ebay, you can use it with any SIM CARD through out India.

I am fully surviving on these modems since last few years.
Old 20th June 2013, 12:10   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

You must be as frustrated with Docomo answer as I am with every provider in my city.
Usually new ISP would reach your area when you arrange 10-20 connections which sounds odd, but I am asked to do so by one of broadband provider, yet to get 20 people.

for modem, do not buy it from any mobile operator, go for a universal modem like "huawei 303C" its around 1200-1300 everywhere from flipkart to ebay, you can use it with any SIM CARD through out India.

I am fully surviving on these modems since last few years.
I have settled for my local cable guy's services only. No more haggling around with the big morons.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:03   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
How is the speed? I thought internet through SIM cards would be slower than regular broadbands.
Old 21st June 2013, 04:56   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
How is the speed? I thought internet through SIM cards would be slower than regular broadbands.
Ya I agree broadband is faster but, more than speed is the cost of Bandwidth which matters
I usually get 2 to 3 mbps on Aircel and Vodafone

However Aircel is cheaper and better in my area
Vodafone 3g irritates going on 2G due to poor signals here.
Old 22nd June 2013, 19:10   #359
BHPian

In trivandrum i use asianet and tata photon,In asianet i get speeds of 3.5 mbps and in tata photon around 1 mbps but the service support of asianet is a lot to be desired.
Old 25th June 2013, 20:32   #360
BHPian

I struggled with 2Mbps from Airtel for years, finally asked them for an upgrade to 16Mbps but apparently its "technically infeasible". I got so mad I switched to ACT's FTTH service with the 25Mbps/60GB plan. Check out the speed I get now!
Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks