Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2014, 16:13   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I run a small startup and we are on a Beam Telecom package for SME

50Mbps, 225GB FUP. After FUP speed drops to 20Mbps.

Monthly Rs.3700

Last edited by MileCruncher : 8th May 2014 at 16:18.
Old 8th May 2014, 16:21   #407
BHPian

Hey dude, you are so lucky. To get this kind of internet speed in India is amazing! I can only get 8 mbps tops. While downloading that is translated into 750 Kbps~. I don't think they provide this sort of connection speed in 2nd tier city like mine.
P.S. Can you give me the ISP's website name. They might have a base here
P.P.S How much does it cost you p/month?
Old 8th May 2014, 19:20   #408
BHPian

Just to update you all here about the pathetic speeds seen here in China.

I am visiting their major cities like Beijing, Chongquing and Xiamen. At all the places, I have been staying in 3 Star and above hotels. The speeds on their wired or wi-fi connections are what we in India call 2G .
Also, the SIM card purchased here is pretty slow in terms of connection. At best, even that is 2G speed.

Regards
Himanshu
Old 20th May 2014, 03:17   #409
BHPian

I use BEAM Fiber both at home and at work.

Home: I have a 15Mbps package and most of the time, the speed is atleast 90% of the promised speed.

Office: We use a 50 Mbps package and have never had a single issue till date ever since we took the connection 1.5 years ago.
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:35   #410
BHPian

I use ACT Broadband and consistently get 20MBPS throughout the day. I pay about 1099 plus taxes. I was on BSNL 4MBPS plan earlier paying almost twice that amount!
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:17   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
I use ACT Broadband and consistently get 20MBPS throughout the day. I pay about 1099 plus taxes. I was on BSNL 4MBPS plan earlier paying almost twice that amount!
Damn, I pay twice as much for silly 4mbps airtel. Unfortunately, not much fiber push in noida except in few sectors. Totally screwed up scenario!
Old 13th August 2014, 19:22   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Hello Naveen,

I have the same plan and I think they recently moved it to 60 GB FUP. However, I see that I am no longer getting good speeds on torrents. Did you notice the same? I used to get speeds of even up to 7 mbps when downloading a torrent with good number of seeds but no longer. Max it goes to is 2 mbps.
Old 13th August 2014, 19:30   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello Naveen,

I have the same plan and I think they recently moved it to 60 GB FUP. However, I see that I am no longer getting good speeds on torrents. Did you notice the same? I used to get speeds of even up to 7 mbps when downloading a torrent with good number of seeds but no longer. Max it goes to is 2 mbps.
I am still getting 20MBPS. Yes they have moved now to 60GB FUP. I don't see any decrease in speeds while browsing anyway. I don't use torrent so i cannot comment. It may happen that the server from which you are downloading does not support 20 MBPS. It does happen for me when i download from different sites. The download speeds are not always consistent. It does vary depending on the hosting site as well.
Old 21st August 2014, 16:20   #414
BHPian

I have the Hathway connection and I notice a wide variation of speed. Even the speed check gives a reading anywhere from 63 to 25 Mbps in download within a gap of two minutes.
It doesn't go bellow that so I am not really complaining.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:44   #415
Senior - BHPian

I moved to hathway 50mbps plan recently, speed is good but most of the time indian websites such as rediff.com , samachar.com and also petapixel.com are inaccessible. At the same moment these sites are accessible by Airtel 3G connection. Youtube , Facebook and whatsapp continue to work but many otjer websites remain unreachable for hours.

First I thought it may be DNS resolution issue so tried using Google dns and opendns but results are same.

Anyone observed similar behavior ? Any resolution ?
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:23   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I am on ACT 50 MbPS with FUP at 350GB. The best part is both upload and download speeds are similar and upload is not counted towards FUP calculation. Hardly had any disruptions in service and even when there is one, promptly get an SMS with approximate time for restoration.

Speed update after a free upgrade from ACT

Old 22nd August 2014, 10:51   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Speed update after a free upgrade from ACT

They upgraded mine from 20Mbps to 40Mbps recently, but for some reason I don't see these speeds on the WiFi. I get the full 40Mbps only if I connect to the router with an ethernet cable. Do you have the same issue as well?
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:28   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
They upgraded mine from 20Mbps to 40Mbps recently, but for some reason I don't see these speeds on the WiFi. I get the full 40Mbps only if I connect to the router with an ethernet cable. Do you have the same issue as well?
I did when I was using the router provided by ACT. Most routers do not support speeds beyond 30 mbps even though the link speed shows higher speeds. If you move closer to the router the speeds will be marginally better.

However, I moved to an Asus RT-N66U and I now get full speed on the wi-fi as well.
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:31   #419
Team-BHP Support

Damn, I feel so jealous when I see this. I am in Noida so at the mercy of uber expensive 4mbps plan from Airtel.
Heck, in Bangalore Airtel offers higher speed plans at lower price due to competition. In NCR they have a monopoly so they keep charging the old plan rates.
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:29   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Damn, I feel so jealous when I see this. I am in Noida so at the mercy of uber expensive 4mbps plan from Airtel.
Heck, in Bangalore Airtel offers higher speed plans at lower price due to competition. In NCR they have a monopoly so they keep charging the old plan rates.
Not exactly. I tried for a long time with Airtel in Bangalore but they refused to upgrade my connection to anything over 4Mbps citing "technical difficulties". I switched to ACT and am paying the same rate for 10x the bandwidth. Now they have the cheek to call and ask if I want to switch back!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks