Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2018, 18:30   #2506
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

I am shelling out 12k per year (primary & secondary)on TS, waiting for some path breaking news which can reduce my DTH expenses!
Old 12th March 2018, 19:41   #2507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Not exactly a solution, but sonyliv website airs all the games in HD quality for free, if you have chrome or fire tv you can watch them on TV.
Thanks for the input mate
Old 12th March 2018, 20:14   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I am shelling out 12k per year (primary & secondary)on TS, waiting for some path breaking news which can reduce my DTH expenses!
Same here. 1235 per month for our 3 tv connections. Too much imo but Tata sky have kept their packages in a way that if you want all major channels you will have to take their most expensive Ultra pack.
Old 26th March 2018, 16:06   #2509
Team-BHP Support

Anyone has details about what is happening between Start & DTH ? All I want is to watch the IPL in HD at the rate that I've paid in advance for the annual pack.
Old 26th March 2018, 16:57   #2510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Anyone has details about what is happening between Start & DTH ? All I want is to watch the IPL in HD at the rate that I've paid in advance for the annual pack.
While you'll hear different stories depending on which party you ask in the mess, the common thread seems to be Star wanting to recoup the absurd money they bid for IPL rights by raising broadcast fees they charge to DTH operators.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th March 2018 at 17:01.
Old 26th March 2018, 18:25   #2511
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
While you'll hear different stories depending on which party you ask in the mess, the common thread seems to be Star wanting to recoup the absurd money they bid for IPL rights by raising broadcast fees they charge to DTH operators.
I also thought so. In that case, are Tata Sky users being affected as well ?

Where does Jio stand in all of this ?
Old 26th March 2018, 18:39   #2512
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I also thought so. In that case, are Tata Sky users being affected as well ?

If you have a Jio connection then JioTV shows all the TV channels in India including the HD ones live at all times, free of cost. If you want to watch only on a big screen you can project your mobile to the TV as well.

I had seen the second half of one India match in the Nidahas trophy only on JioTV. Perfect and seamless, particularly when you are away from a TV.

Jio is now bidding for the digital rights of all the India matches for the next 5 years. ;-)
Old 26th March 2018, 18:45   #2513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
If you have a Jio connection then JioTV shows all the TV channels in India including the HD ones live at all times, free of cost. If you want to watch only on a big screen you can project your mobile to the TV as well.
Zap, I was more keen on Jio DTH. For some reason, I just don't like Tata Sky at all.
Old 26th March 2018, 18:45   #2514
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to watch only on a big screen you can project your mobile to the TV as well.
The Jio TV app does not allow you to cast your phone screen to a TV or a computer.
Old 26th March 2018, 19:00   #2515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
The Jio TV app does not allow you to cast your phone screen to a TV or a computer.
How does it know when the underlying OS is casting/projecting the screen? Its the OS that casts, not the app!

Quote:
Zap, I was more keen on Jio DTH. For some reason, I just don't like Tata Sky at all.
From what I am seeing, they are saying JIO has not intentions of getting into DTH business and that all those messages and news floating around is hoax.

Last edited by Zappo : 26th March 2018 at 19:01.
Old 26th March 2018, 19:11   #2516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.....are Tata Sky users being affected as well ?

Tata Sky isn't affected directly yet, but they're absurdly expensive as it is.

I pay 4.4k for the 6-month HD package (all HD + SD channels except some regional and specialty stuff), while Airtel charges ~6k for similar stuff annually.

Going by the news, Star has already served notices to Airtel Digital, Dish TV & Videocon D2H (the latter two are in the process of merging), plus some regional MSOs (Multiple Service Operators), most notably SitiCable in West Bengal.

Even though TRAI and others are trying to force a settlement, this is going ot get nasty before it gets resolved.

Jio is non-committal about DTH for now, but that may change.

Here's a relevant quote that addresses IPL coverage while the dispute rages on:

Quote:
Will there be IPL on Airtel TVs?

Yes, there will be no disruption in IPL. Star Sports 1 and Star Sports 1 Hindi would be available to all eligible consumers, Airtel said in its statement. “All key standard definition (SD) channels from Star network will continue to be available to Airtel Digital TV customers as part of their existing packs (no price increase). Airtel will bear the higher cost of these channels. Customers can go channel number 102 on Airtel Digital TV or www.airtel.in/dthinfo to get complete details of how to activate these channels. Popular High Definition (HD) channels from Star TV will also be available as part of select packs. Other HD channels from Star TV will be available on the a-la-carte basis and Airtel Digital TV will only charge customers what Star TV is charging it, not a rupee more,” it said.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th March 2018 at 19:18.
Old 26th March 2018, 20:11   #2517
BHPian

As usual, customers end up getting a raw deal in India. I had taken the infinity pack for an year that is supposed to provide all the HD channels. Now quoting this price hike, Airtel is smartly going back on their contract. I doubt they would be able to do this in countries where there are better mechanisms to protect the customer rights.
Old 26th March 2018, 21:01   #2518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From what I am seeing, they are saying JIO has not intentions of getting into DTH business and that all those messages and news floating around is hoax.
My bad, I meant Reliance DTH.
https://www.reliancedigitaltv.com/home.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Here's a relevant quote that addresses IPL coverage while the dispute rages on:
This helps, thanks. Although I am unable to understand whether HD channels showing IPL will continue at the same price or not. And I do not have the patience of discussing this with a customer care executive. Let me ask the Mrs to dig out some old contact in Airtel to understand what the situation is.
Old 26th March 2018, 22:58   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
As usual, customers end up getting a raw deal in India. I had taken the infinity pack for an year that is supposed to provide all the HD channels. Now quoting this price hike, Airtel is smartly going back on their contract. I doubt they would be able to do this in countries where there are better mechanisms to protect the customer rights.

This was supposed to be implemented from 8th March initially. But since I have an infinity pack too on both my channels, hence I was not affected, but I read on the news that other people were affected from this so I don't know what will happen post the 31st.
Old 28th March 2018, 22:58   #2520
BHPian

Hi All,
Just want to know the maximum length possible
from dish to set upbox still ensuring descent picture quality. I'm planning for a Videocon d2h and anticipating the cable will run 60m.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks