Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 17:21   #2386

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Till date has been a frustrating experience with Videocon STB. Many a times the STB simply hangs up. No voice, no picture. You then have to reset the STB and everything becomes normal. Its become like a daily ritual to reset the STB once a day atleast. A complaint later, the technician drops in and checks the STB, finds no fault. Even the software is the latest one. Luckily was able to demonstrate to him the STB hanging feature but he had no clue to it. Surprisingly the complaint no has been closed conveniently without even informing me. What could be the reason for STB behaviour?

One more issue which I had was the stiff remote control buttons. One hard push and 3-4 channels were getting skipped and with soft push the channels never changed. Got the remote replaced with a RF tagged remote but not without the usual drama with Videocon. Overall not at all happy with the Videcon experience. Pity I cannot afford to change it either since its the lowest priced amongst the lot and offers the highest no of HD channels.
I have been a Videocon D2H HD user for almost 2 years now & the hanging of the STB has never been observed by me. This seems to be a fault specific to your STB, have you asked them to replace it? Has this problem been coming right up from the start of the installation, or after some software update?

The problem with the remote has also not been faced by me till now, if it has a clear line of vision, it works without a hitch. It also seems to be a case of a faulty product.
Old 17th February 2015, 07:56   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Singh View Post
This seems to be a fault specific to your STB, have you asked them to replace it? Has this problem been coming right up from the start of the installation, or after some software update?
The STB was certified fault free by the visiting technician after doing a few hardware and software checks. I persisted for a replacement but was told it would be chargeable to me. This particular hanging issue is being observed for the past couple of months, the technician confirmed that there has been no major software upgrades/patches done two months back. As of now its wait, watch and report for me.
Old 17th February 2015, 08:44   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The STB was certified fault free by the visiting technician after doing a few hardware and software checks. I persisted for a replacement but was told it would be chargeable to me. This particular hanging issue is being observed for the past couple of months, the technician confirmed that there has been no major software upgrades/patches done two months back. As of now its wait, watch and report for me.
I had this problem with my dish stb and a remote button press would register after 5 seconds. I broke one aftermarket remote in my frustration 😠
Then when the problem persisted with an OE remote realized it was maybe a stb firmware issue. I reset the firmware entirely. There are menu options by which one erases stuff in the stb memory. Basically like a phone reset to factory settings. This solved the issue. I guess over the years and due to over the air updates there is bloat ware remnants that cause slowness. Might be worth a try on your end too.
Old 17th February 2015, 09:28   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
There are menu options by which one erases stuff in the stb memory.
The technician did a factory reset before me during the troubleshooting course to verify the latest software version. It did work for a few days but then the issue has resurfaced again. I have dropped a complaint again with regards to the issue. Hoping that Videocon does have a solution for the same.
Old 25th February 2015, 11:55   #2390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
A CRT in one of our rooms has a regular STB with cable connection. The service is absolutely pathetic so now looking at DTH services. Which one is advisable considering the following:

1- No Airtel. There is no direct line of sight to the satellite and rooftop dish installation is not allowed in our society.

2- Preferably, I want SD + Recorder. Is there any provider that offers this combo ?

3- No requirement of any regional language
Update: Just before the WC started, got an Airtel connection. Managed placing the dish at my neighbors place. So I now have an Airtel HD recorder and another Airtel SD recorder
Old 25th February 2015, 12:42   #2391
Team-BHP Support

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available

Guys, has anyone got a UHD TV? Tata Sky seems to have launched the UHD boxes with 4K res capability. I was wondering whether just having a box is enough to receive 4K resolution! Won't we need the channel to be 4K? Afterall I am not aware of any channel being available in UHD resolution.
Old 25th February 2015, 12:50   #2392
Team-BHP Support

Tata Sky is airing the WC 2015 in 4K. I saw a channel listed under the Sports menu.
Old 25th February 2015, 13:09   #2393
Team-BHP Support

I know... but is the Star Sports a UHD channel? Dont think so. So then? Is this the same old scaling up business that Reliance discovered long back?

I remember, Reliance being Reliance they used to advertise 300+ HD channels. I was zapped! Later realized there is a hard to find fine print somewhere that said HD like. The fact being they were artificially scaling up the images to make them HD res. Obviously its not the same thing as the images being captured and broadcasted in HD quality.
Old 27th February 2015, 23:18   #2394
BHPian

Tata Sky is offering only one true 4K channel that is Star Sports UHD (Channel no. 400). There are limited number of broadcasts for this World Cup season.
This channel is not upscaled, but rather is broadcasted at 4K resolution. Maybe few months down the line we may see some other channels being telecast at 4K too (though unlikely as of now).

P.S: I saw the India vs South Africa match last Sunday on my friend's new Sony 65" 4K TV. The picture quality is amazing. There is considerable improvement over Full HD quality (maybe it was relevant more due to the larger panel). I think 4K makes sense only if you're going 46" upwards in screen size. Besides, 4K content is limited as of now.
Old 16th March 2015, 18:01   #2395
Senior - BHPian

I've upgraded myself from a 20 year old Sony Trinitron 21" TV (Yes you read it right, it served me so long) to Sony 50" W800B. I'm looking for good STB for my new LED.
Picture Clarity is first preference, the rest are secondary. I've heard good about TATA Sky followed by AIRTEL & D2H. Which one is best among these TATA/AIRTEL?

I like the old type of Hathaway boxes, since this being a LED, I would prefer the HDMI way. Just because of no nonsense with kind of channels to prefer and Tariffs etc.

Kindly advice me the best DTH available today.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 16th March 2015 at 18:03. Reason: missed lines
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:13   #2396
BHPian

Some good news for subscribers:

TRAI facilitates easy migration between DTH service providers

Quote:
TRAI today prescribed a framework of norms which will make it easier for consumers to migrate from one Direct-To-Home (DTH) service provider to another, while also encouraging transparency in charges levied by operators. Under a ‘Tariff Order’ (TO), TRAI prescribed for interoperability of Customer Premises Equipment (CPE) or Set Top Box (STB) offered by DTH operators to their subscribers.
Currently if a customer wishes to migrate from one DTH operator to another, he is required to invest in the CPE of the other operator, TRAI said in a statement. Under the new framework of ‘commercial interoperability’ of CPEs, an exit option will be provided to the subscribers in case they wish to avail services from another DTH operator for any reason.
TRAI also observed that there is a “lack of transparency” in various schemes offered by the DTH operators. Listing the salient features of the new order, TRAI said that it mandates transparent declaration of installation and activation charges by DTH operators which shall not exceed Rs 450.
DTH operators also have to mandatorily offer an outright purchase scheme called ‘Standard Scheme’ for all types of CPEs on standalone basis, it added. DTH operators may offer additional schemes including bundled schemes and rental schemes, TRAI said.
In rental schemes, the operators can charge a specified one-time interest free refundable security deposit, installation and activation charges from the subscriber during enrolment followed by specified monthly rental charges, TRAI said.
TRAI also said that DTH operators shall cater for free maintenance and repairs of CPEs for three years after installation or activation. The TRAI order also said that in case of outright purchase and hire purchase schemes, DTH operators may levy visitation charges not exceeding Rs 250 per visit after the warranty period has elapsed.
Subscribers shall have an option of buy-back or refund for CPEs in all the offered schemes including bundled schemes with an exception of rental schemes, TRAI said. In rental scheme, the subscriber will get back the security deposit, it added. DTH operators may prescribe a lock-in period not exceeding six months for a subscriber to remain committed. Subscribers can surrender the CPE any time subject to levy of certain charges that have been prescribed.
DTH operators will also have to set up collection centers at every district headquarters to enable easy return of CPEs while subscribers shall be provided with a toll-free number for registration of request for surrender of connection. Subscribers shall have an option of returning the CPE by paying a nominal collection charge of Rs 300 to the DTH operator or to return the CPE at the designated collection center, TRAI said.
No other charges by any other name other than those specified in the order can be levied on the subscribers by DTH operators, it added. DTH operators will have to declare all current schemes on their websites while also publishing all charges for each scheme, TRAI said in its statement, while adding that the operators have been given a time of 60 days for compliance with the order.
“This will give a fillip to fair competition amongst DTH operators, discourage monopolistic practices and empower the subscriber with greater choice. This will further enable orderly growth of the sector,” TRAI said.

Source: http://www.bgr.in/news/trai-facilita...ice-providers/
Old 2nd April 2015, 13:36   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I've upgraded myself from a 20 year old Sony Trinitron 21" TV (Yes you read it right, it served me so long) to Sony 50" W800B. I'm looking for good STB for my new LED.
Picture Clarity is first preference, the rest are secondary. I've heard good about TATA Sky followed by AIRTEL & D2H. Which one is best among these TATA/AIRTEL?

I like the old type of Hathaway boxes, since this being a LED, I would prefer the HDMI way. Just because of no nonsense with kind of channels to prefer and Tariffs etc.

Kindly advice me the best DTH available today.
I would always suggest Tata Sky. Have been a satisfied customer for the last 6-7 years. Opt for HD Recorder box. Since you live in Bangalore and it rains pretty often, get some feedback from a local user about the DTH fade issues. All DTH subscribers would face that but how often. Since you would be moving from Hathway, this is a new phenomenon that you could face.
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:01   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Dear Bhpians,

I am looking for a HD DTH Connection. I generally watch Sports channels, Discovery, NG, History, Disc. Turbo, Fox Life etc. Tata sky is good in my region.

1) Now, please suggest a good operator with good customer service and packages (alot of HD channels).

2) Also, should I opt for recording STB or general one?

3) Is there any provider which allows us to make our own packages? for e.g. if I want only a certain no. of channels then can I customize my package to individual liking?

Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:14   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Dear Bhpians,

I am looking for a HD DTH Connection. I generally watch Sports channels, Discovery, NG, History, Disc. Turbo, Fox Life etc. Tata sky is good in my region.

1) Now, please suggest a good operator with good customer service and packages (alot of HD channels).

2) Also, should I opt for recording STB or general one?

3) Is there any provider which allows us to make our own packages? for e.g. if I want only a certain no. of channels then can I customize my package to individual liking?

Thanks.
You can choose Tata Sky as it ticks off all your requirements. They have a bouquet of HD channels (Sports, Discovery, News Movies)

I've been a user of Tata Sky for the past 8 years and have no reason to complain with their service. You can chose to talk to them or chant with an advisor on the web.

They offer you the facility of choosing channels per your taste, but I'm not sure as to what the offerings are in the a-la-carte sections.

As for a recorder, it would be dependent on your preference. Based on your viewing preferences mentioned, I'd suggest that you opt for the regular HD box as these channels repeat programming ad-naseum and I'm sure that you will catch up on the lost episodes.

Hope the above helps

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:48   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Just to confirm - no operator provides cartoon channels like Nick Junior / Disney Junior / DiscoveryKids in HD, right?

Most Viewed