Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 14:12   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What about the SD boxes - are they also sluggish - anyone using them here?
Your best best is TataSky.
All the others are sluggish.
Old 7th May 2014, 14:38   #2282
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Your best best is TataSky.
All the others are sluggish.
No, I am asking about the videocon SD boxes. I was thinking Videocon because they run the maximum no of Hindi film music channels. If Videocon isn't good, then I'll just upgrade my Dish Box. The Dish box wasn't sluggish till recently (it's a 9 year old box).
Old 7th May 2014, 15:33   #2283
BHPian

Videocon SD is a little slow to change channels when compared to TataSky. I have both running at my home. Boot time is slower for the TataSky MPEG4 boxes. Takes forever and switches on to home channel by default. Videocon is much quicker, takes about 10 seconds and switches on to the last viewed channel.
Old 7th May 2014, 15:37   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No, I am asking about the videocon SD boxes. I was thinking Videocon because they run the maximum no of Hindi film music channels. If Videocon isn't good, then I'll just upgrade my Dish Box. The Dish box wasn't sluggish till recently (it's a 9 year old box).
I actually upgraded from SD to HD. SD box is slightly better than HD box in Videocon, But Software itself is crappy. Tatasky has the best software and very fast and accurate.
Old 11th May 2014, 17:30   #2285
BHPian

I've used both Tata Sky (2008-2011) and Videocon (2011-till date).
Switched to d2h, due to high number of HD channels + regional channels.

Their HD box was working good till last software update. The last update added lots of lags. For me they replaced the HD box with latest one with RF remote. But still, the lag is very much there.

Hope they will fix it through another update soon.

As far as support, I never faced any issue. Same day response most of the time. Also, prompt replies to mails within 2 days.

Tata Sky's web portal used to show the history of your transaction and used to send a monthly invoice. Videocon doesn't have that facility yet.
Other than that, I think videocon is VFM service.
Old 13th May 2014, 08:20   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post

Their HD box was working good till last software update. The last update added lots of lags. For me they replaced the HD box with latest one with RF remote. But still, the lag is very much there.

As far as support, I never faced any issue. Same day response most of the time. Also, prompt replies to mails within 2 days.

Tata Sky's web portal used to show the history of your transaction and used to send a monthly invoice. Videocon doesn't have that facility yet.

Agree fully to this myself having gone thru the same phases.
After my d2h box+remote was replaced a few weeks ago, after a good series of complaints, things were fine with the delay/freezing gone for good
But again few issues are back: picture gets frozen at times (giv a feel like reception is poor), remote button gets double press/click even if carefully pressed, remote press has a delay 'at times'. I thing I have go back to 'complaining' mode due to these factors. Otherwise customer support wise whatever fear I had while making the switch from TS to d2h is not there. TS so called 'excellent CS' is just a myth. They are just as good or as bad, thats about it.
Old 13th May 2014, 09:29   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Agree fully to this myself having gone thru the same phases.
After my d2h box+remote was replaced a few weeks ago, after a good series of complaints, things were fine with the delay/freezing gone for good
But again few issues are back: picture gets frozen at times (giv a feel like reception is poor), remote button gets double press/click even if carefully pressed, remote press has a delay 'at times'. I thing I have go back to 'complaining' mode due to these factors. Otherwise customer support wise whatever fear I had while making the switch from TS to d2h is not there. TS so called 'excellent CS' is just a myth. They are just as good or as bad, thats about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I actually upgraded from SD to HD. SD box is slightly better than HD box in Videocon, But Software itself is crappy. Tatasky has the best software and very fast and accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Videocon SD is a little slow to change channels when compared to TataSky. I have both running at my home. Boot time is slower for the TataSky MPEG4 boxes. Takes forever and switches on to home channel by default. Videocon is much quicker, takes about 10 seconds and switches on to the last viewed channel.
Quote:
Hello everyone. My airtel box was sluggish but the recent update made it worse as well as more annoying (deleting the messages is a pain, reboot takes into the home channel etc). Their customer care pained me too.

Here's what I want:
a. DVR facility - the son loves his cartoons.
b. Not too painful bootup (1-2 mins max)
c. Universal remote?
d. Least annoying features (pain to delete new messages in Airtel)
e. Uptime? We don't want to deal with customer care too much (one call / year)..
Old 13th May 2014, 09:50   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
My airtel box was sluggish but the recent update made it worse as well as more annoying (deleting the messages is a pain, reboot takes into the home channel etc). Their customer care pained me too.

Here's what I want:
c. Universal remote?
e. Uptime? We don't want to deal with customer care too much (one call / year)..
Something similar happened with my Videocon HD box as well. Usually boots up quite fast but sometimes it becomes unresponsive! Have to then hard boot it to get the thing running.

Customer care is best dealt with through online complaint or email - no calls.

No universal remote

Annoying features? No features at all! Doesn't show if you have new messages or not unless you specifically look for it!

Uptime near about 100%. Never failed me except once when the TV was moved and it refused to start! Had to register a complaint online and the technician arrived the next day to fix it. 350 bucks visit charge.
Old 13th May 2014, 10:52   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone. My airtel box was sluggish but the recent update made it worse as well as more annoying (deleting the messages is a pain, reboot takes into the home channel etc). Their customer care pained me too.

Here's what I want:
c. Universal remote?
Try Tata Sky. Have been with it for more than 7 years and no issues so far. Initially they even managed to install where no other DTH operator would come due to the local cable walah nexus.

a. DVR facility - Available.
b. Not too painful bootup (1-2 mins max) - Rarely boot up takes longer. usually around 30 - 45 seconds but will always end up in the home screen.
c. Universal remote? - Available
d. Least annoying features (pain to delete new messages in Airtel) - Messages alert available and also easy to delete.
e. Uptime? We don't want to deal with customer care too much (one call / year) - I hardly ever call customer service. Recently when I had an issue due to the local partner, the issue was resolved to my satisfaction and they called me for clarifications.
Old 13th May 2014, 12:38   #2290
BHPian

Quote:

Here's what I want:
a. DVR facility - the son loves his cartoons. - Available in SD and HD on Tatasky. But HD only in Videocon I think.
b. Not too painful bootup (1-2 mins max) - Boot up of both Tata and D2h are within 1-2 min.
c. Universal remote? - I dont think it is available on both Sky and D2h
d. Least annoying features (pain to delete new messages in Airtel) - Videocon wins
e. Uptime? We don't want to deal with customer care too much (one call / year) - Both are equally good in this regard, not much calls required...
Phamilyman, please find my replies inline. Tata Sky is a little expensive, but I dont see any advantage in paying a premium for it.
Old 14th May 2014, 16:55   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's what I want:
a. DVR facility - the son loves his cartoons. available on TSky+
b. Not too painful bootup (1-2 mins max) TSky is less than a minute
c. Universal remote? It is available with Tata Sky, I have one
d. Least annoying features (pain to delete new messages in Airtel) Deletion a breeze on TSky
twice maybe thrice an year with TSky
Old 14th May 2014, 17:16   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for their inputs. Will update mid June once Airtel runs out and the wife agrees to shift. Airtel's prompt service has been the only reason we haven't bothered with anyone else thus far.
Old 14th May 2014, 19:19   #2293
BHPian

I am not sure how Videocon is cheaper. In my case, I spend around 12740 per year on my tata Sky with 2 multiroom connection. The same in Videocon comes to 13476 rs, which is 730 costlier than tata sky.

My usual package is with Tamil + All english channels + HD.
Old 14th May 2014, 20:30   #2294
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for their inputs. Will update mid June once Airtel runs out and the wife agrees to shift. Airtel's prompt service has been the only reason we haven't bothered with anyone else thus far.
I have found that the Customer Service of Tata Sky to be one of the best. Sometimes they like everyone else are slow in the resolution of issues, but it is done to the satisfaction of the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
I am not sure how Videocon is cheaper. In my case, I spend around 12740 per year on my tata Sky with 2 multiroom connection. The same in Videocon comes to 13476 rs, which is 730 costlier than tata sky.

After seeing all these posts about Videocon being cheaper, I did go through the rates from both and did a comparison. As mentioned by madbullram, Videocon seems to be more expensive.
Old 15th May 2014, 11:43   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post

I think below combination will include all channels for you.

South Silver (176) +English entertainment (62)+ HD Globe (169) = Rs.407/ month
With multiroom and annual recharge options, is it reaching 13K + ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks