Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2013, 13:19   #2206
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks a lot for replying to my query, I have an option to use either 5.1 (obviously ruled out now) or more humble 2.1 Logitech, can I connect this 2.1 to RCA of STB via RCA to RCA male cable & enjoy some good sound till I purchase optical port Home theater.
Basically, there are 4 ways of playing Video [HD Video (1080 p/1080i) or SD] and Audio [Dolby Digital/Pro-logic2 or Stereo]:

1. HDMI (for video & audio): The HDMI output from the set-top box is connected to the HDMI input of your AV Receiver. This is the best mode; video play-back is in HD (1080p/1080i - currently we get only 1080i in India), audio is in Dolby - Prologic-II/Digital/DTS (currently we get only Dolby Digital 5.1 in India - Movies Now HD) No separate cabling is required for audio, optical or otherwise. HDMI is the best. Just ensure that a good quality HDMI cable is used (eg Monster) and not the one supplied by the set-top box manufacturer.

The video output from the AV receiver is transmitted to the TV set through another HDMI cable.

2. Video through CVI and Audio through Optical connection: This is second best. Video is by means of CVI or component video input separates the chrominance and luminance signals (there are three RCA cables colour-coded and bundled together). Insofar as audio is concerned, fibre-optics are used - the fully-encoded or raw audio signal (Dolby/DTS etc) is transmitted to the AV receiver which decodes the signal, separates the channels.

The video (CVI) output from the AV receiver is transmitted to the TV set either through 3 RCA cables (into the CVI input of the TV set) or from the HDMI output of the AV receiver to the TV set through a HDMI cable. The second option is possible only if the AV receiver allows up-scaling (i.e. convert CVI to HDMI)

3. Video through CVI and Audio through RCA digital cable: The video is as above. In case the AV receiver or set-top box does not have an optical input/output and has digital co-axial input/output instead, a single RCA cable is used to transmit audio from the set-top box to the AV receiver. Like in the case of an optical connection, the entire audio data is transmitted through this lone RCA cable.

Video connection to the TV set - same as above.

4. Basic RCA connections: No HD display or Dolby/DTS sound is possible through this arrangement. Video is through a single RCA cable (green or yellow) and audio is stereophonic (red and black/white) RCA cables. This is as basic as it gets!

The Video signals are transmitted to the TV set through 1 RCA cable.

Whilst these are the possible options, the final decision is taken by evaluating the outputs/inputs from the set-top box/AV receiver AND the outputs/inputs from the AV Receiver/TV set. It would be advisable to buy an AV receiver with multiple types of inputs - HDMI/CVI/Optical/Digital Audio/RCA and outputs upscalable to HDMI, so that there is only ONE output from the AV receiver to the TV set!

Usually, if an AV receiver is used to process signals, it is ideal to restrict the role of the TV set to being a monitor only (no audio) and listen to audio through the AV receiver's speakers, else the Dolby/DTS sound output from the AV receiver's speakers will conflict with the TV set's stereo speakers!

Coming to your specific question, yes, it is possible to connect a Logitech 2.1 system. However, please note that it is a simple stereo (2-channel) input into the Logitech, and the internal circuitry merely separates the bass and feeds it into the sub-woofer!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 19th October 2013 at 13:31. Reason: Corrections
Old 19th October 2013, 16:44   #2207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
As far as I know, currently Dish TV HD provides Dolby Digital 5.1, on Movies Now! I am not sure whether Airtel HD or Videocon HD provide 5.1. But I do remember Airtel advertising 7.1 audio, wonder how far that's true!

Tata Sky for sure does not have Dolby Digital 5.1
You are rite.Dish tv delivers 5.1audio only on movies now for very few movies.
Airtel says 7.1 audio. but so far there is no 7.1. TV content available in india.
It is just there publicity game. The fact is there setup box is capable of decoding 7.1 channel dolby+ sound.
Unfortunately tata sky is acting smart here. They are applying some sort of DSP on there HD channels and producing multichannel audio. Don’t get excited by seeing DD icon on your receiver. It is not real dolby digital encoded material.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
The dish tv has the limitation of transmitting only stereo audio. Through HDMI. We were forced to use optical out to achieve dolby digital.
I will check the system today!

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th October 2013 at 17:10. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 19th October 2013, 18:06   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post

You are rite.Dish tv delivers 5.1audio only on movies now for very few movies.
Airtel says 7.1 audio. but so far there is no 7.1. TV content available in india.
It is just there publicity game. The fact is there setup box is capable of decoding 7.1 channel dolby+ sound.
Unfortunately tata sky is acting smart here. They are applying some sort of DSP on there HD channels and producing multichannel audio. Don’t get excited by seeing DD icon on your receiver. It is not real dolby digital encoded material.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
The dish tv has the limitation of transmitting only stereo audio. Through HDMI. We were forced to use optical out to achieve dolby digital.
I will check the system today!
Please enable 5.1 and disable virtual surround through guide settings on Dish TV HD. Your AV receiver can then receive Dolby 5.1 both through HDMI and optical cable.

The sad part is that half (or none!) the Dish TV technicians have any idea about these 'technicalities'! :-)

They keep insisting on the use of optical cable to get 5.1 surround!
Old 19th October 2013, 19:59   #2209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically, there are 4 ways of playing Video [HD Video (1080 p/1080i) or SD] and Audio [Dolby Digital/Pro-logic2 or Stereo]:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------

Coming to your specific question, yes, it is possible to connect a Logitech 2.1 system. However, please note that it is a simple stereo (2-channel) input into the Logitech, and the internal circuitry merely separates the bass and feeds it into the sub-woofer!
Thanks for that detailed information on the various AV connections, will definitely purchase a HT. with optical/digital input ports which will solve my problem of poor audio (via Plasma speakers).

Meanwhile, will try to hook the Logitech 2.1 on STB for immediate relief.
Old 20th October 2013, 09:19   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Anybody using this remote control for their Videocon stb please tell me how to take the program guide? I was using another model of remote with the previous box which had recording issue. Now I am given a new box (4614) but with this remote, it seems it's not possible to take the program guide!

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-tmp_imag1007598069825.jpg

By Program Guide, I mean this view:
Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-imag0977.jpg

Those who use this remote might not have seen this view at all.

Last edited by clevermax : 20th October 2013 at 09:37.
Old 20th October 2013, 09:43   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
Please enable 5.1 and disable virtual surround through guide settings on Dish TV HD. Your AV receiver can then receive Dolby 5.1 both through HDMI and optical cable.

The sad part is that half (or none!) the Dish TV technicians have any idea about these 'technicalities'! :-)

They keep insisting on the use of optical cable to get 5.1 surround!
Done those seting long back.
Stil cant get 5.1 audio thrugh HDMI.
Could you please tell me what firmware version you are using?
Old 20th October 2013, 11:10   #2212
BHPian

O.T: i have Mega HD pack and i was supposed to get 1 yr businessworld subscription , after much follow-up received only 1 magazine and none since last 4 weeks , TS guys are asking me to follow with businessworld publication.

Is anyone facing similar issues?
Old 21st October 2013, 07:11   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Anybody using this remote control for their Videocon stb please tell me how to take the program guide? ....
Clevermax, try this:

Press this button: :--; the one used to display the list of menu items.

Then scroll up in the menu using the ^ button till you come to "Channel Guide". Press "OK". Now select All Channels, the first item on the list. Press "OK". You should be at the Full Channel Guide screen.

My remote is similar but not identical to the one you are using.

Last edited by anupmathur : 21st October 2013 at 07:12.
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:43   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
Done those seting long back.
Stil cant get 5.1 audio thrugh HDMI.
Could you please tell me what firmware version you are using?
Sorry for the delay in replying:
The firmware version is: V45.79-1.28 The iGuide version is: ST HD PVR EPG V310
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:56   #2215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Anybody using this remote control for their Videocon stb please tell me how to take the program guide? I was using another model of remote with the previous box which had recording issue. Now I am given a new box (4614) but with this remote, it seems it's not possible to take the program guide!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Clevermax, try this:

Press this button: :--; the one used to display the list of menu items.

Then scroll up in the menu using the ^ button till you come to "Channel Guide". Press "OK". Now select All Channels, the first item on the list. Press "OK". You should be at the Full Channel Guide screen.

My remote is similar but not identical to the one you are using.
I think what anup mathur said will work. Aren't you able to access the "Channel Guide" using the "menu" button? It is the button with 3 dots one below another, and next to them, 3 lines one below another.

One question to you on the installation. Did they use two cables running from the dish LNB or have used some splitter near your DVR?
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:07   #2216
Oxy
BHPian

So Tata Sky is not showing Neo Sports and Neo Prime channels. Cricket fans are set to miss India's tour of New Zealand early next year now because of this.

My subscription is due for renewal mid December. I think I'll switch to Videocon D2H.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:51   #2217
Senior - BHPian

Finally, DishTV has now started two good channels for kids: Nick Jr. and Disney Jr.

Just in time for the Diwali vacations.
Old 31st October 2013, 20:15   #2218
Distinguished - BHPian

TataSKY has added Movies Now HD and Zee Cinema HD since today. They have also added 4 regional SD channels.
Old 3rd November 2013, 12:33   #2219
BHPian

what are the legal implications in India of playing DTH channels in a restaurant on a large format screen (say a big 50 inch plasma or even better, a projector screen)?

As far as I know, the subscription we take is for home-use i.e., private audience only. Officially, if we wanted to use a DTH connection to play TV in a restaurant, should there be a separate license/pricing? Anybody knows?

PS: I know you can ignore the clauses & continue to use it for whatever purpose you want it for after paying the stipulated monthly rent. I was more curious on the legal way of doing it / implications of using DTH in a public place.
Old 3rd November 2013, 15:51   #2220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Today they replaced my Videocon HD box with unlimited recording with another new one. Now all the features forward, rewind, pause, also pausing during live tv is perfectly working fine.
Hello,

I am planning to shift to DTH. I have a query. Can I request you to please explain it to me.

Can the recorded programme be viewed afterwards on any other TV?

Is some coding/encrypting done by DTH programme suppliers to ensure that the downloaded content can be viewed only on that TV?

How does it work?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks