Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2013, 18:29   #2131
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Khoj is right. 6 for mega pack annual subscription, 12 for biennial. It used to be 12 for annual:
http://www.tatasky.com/mega-packs.html
Any recharge done before April 2013 qualifies for 12 free showcase movies. I confirmed it with TS customer care.

I had recharged mine in March 2013 and hence get to see 12 free movies.
Old 20th September 2013, 20:49   #2132
BHPian

a pretty novice doubt!

i have a LED full HD tv, Is it advisable to go for the HD settop box or SD version?is there comparable increment in PQ between the two on a HD tv?

PS:i might not be using the HD channels at the moment!
Old 21st September 2013, 09:03   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
a pretty novice doubt!

i have a LED full HD tv, Is it advisable to go for the HD settop box or SD version?is there comparable increment in PQ between the two on a HD tv?

PS:i might not be using the HD channels at the moment!
They cost the same.

For example - Airtel charges Rs. 2,000 for a new SD box and Rs. 1,900 to upgrade from SD to HD.
Old 21st September 2013, 19:17   #2134
BHPian

il be getting the installation next week,but a quick doubt before finalizing on HD or HD+
went through the tatasky site and saw that the HD+ installation contains dual cables.
is the dual cables both coaxial cables?
Old 21st September 2013, 19:37   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
is the dual cables both coaxial cables?
Yes, both are coaxial cables. The HD+ box has two tuners built in so that you can watch one channel while simultaneously recording another channel.
Old 22nd September 2013, 15:43   #2136
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is coming to Tata Sky !! The advert banner complete with voice over confirming the same is being transmitted on various Star channels since this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Is star world premiere hd channel coming on tata sky?
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:27   #2137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes it is coming to Tata Sky !! The advert banner complete with voice over confirming the same is being transmitted on various Star channels since this morning.
Correct. Just subscribed to it. Its ADD SWPR costing 60 bucks a month for whoever want to subscribe. Starts tomorrow at 8pm/
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:35   #2138
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it is on channel 213. I am waiting for it to be added FOC since I have the HD Mega pack. I believe the promos would start at 0000 hrs and the actual transmission @ 2000 tomorrow as posted by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Correct. Just subscribed to it. Its ADD SWPR costing 60 bucks a month for whoever want to subscribe. Starts tomorrow at 8pm/
BTW The annual subscription for the same is 500/- that's like 3.5 months free

Last edited by khoj : 23rd September 2013 at 22:37.
Old 24th September 2013, 08:29   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, it is on channel 213. I am waiting for it to be added FOC since I have the HD Mega pack. I believe the promos would start at 0000 hrs and the actual transmission @ 2000 tomorrow as posted by you.

BTW The annual subscription for the same is 500/- that's like 3.5 months free
I cannot see annual subscription option.

Could you please post a screenshot ?
Old 24th September 2013, 12:56   #2140
Senior - BHPian

Hi F150, this information is available on TV via the "help" button on the remote.

To view press 'help' on your remote >> Menu opens ; select Channels/Packs >> Sub menu ; select Specials >> STAR Premiere HD & Topper show up with SP HD pre selected >> The monthly and Annual charges are on top of the new screen and the subscription SMS codes are the bottom

Monthly - add swpr

scroll further down and you will see

Annual - add swpr365

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I cannot see annual subscription option.

Could you please post a screenshot ?
The service provider says that Star Premiere is a special category channel and will not be added to MEGA pack HD but will have to be subscribed for. Another reason to move away from Tata Sky platform.

Move away not because I have to cough up an extra 500 for the channel but because Tata Sky has this nasty habit of concealing / withholding information. I recharged my annual pack a week ago for three connections and specifically asked the executive regarding any changes to the pack. I was informed that the number of showcase movies has been reduced to 6 and apart from that there is no change. I even asked the chappy regarding the availability of this particular channel and he remarked that as usual it would be available under the Mega Pack. The executive made no mention of the same being a special category channel that would have to be subscribed for etc etc. and this is on the 16th just 8 days prior.

This is what pisses me off. SP HD promos were all over the place by then and for sure the decision to market it as a special channel would have been taken long back. So why not inform the customer in good time? With information comes the power to make an informed decision and that is exactly what these guys are afraid of.

The boffins at TATA Sky lack confidence in their brand and are afraid that subscribers will abandon them if they give them the power of information. Reflects poorly on them really. The reason I will change now is not because of the extra money to be paid but because of this "clerical" attitude.

I was in another city for 8 years and had a Dish tv connection. Sure they were not angels either but at least they were upfront and forthcoming with all sorts of information be it non availability of many a channels or extra monies to be paid for service visits and what not. It was an open house and I will be going back sooner than later.
Old 24th September 2013, 14:58   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Khoj, I already made my 'reading' of TataSky some months ago.
After about eight years of being with them for two connections I recently shifted to Videocon for one box.
Quite satisfied with the signal and content quality, though I am having some problem with the USB port recording feature. It does not recognize my HDDs, though it does work with a 16GB pendrive to some extent.
Will post here how it unfolds.
Old 24th September 2013, 20:48   #2142
BHPian

@khoj,

I agree. I just got off from an online chat with a TataSky representative, and he kept parroting that Star World Premiere HD was a 'special' service. At this rate, Tata Sky will simply add all new HD channels under 'special' category, and the promise of getting all new channels FOC under the mega pack is just hollow!

I feel this is downright cheating by Tata Sky...
Old 24th September 2013, 21:26   #2143
BHPian

I hope someone takes tata sky to court over misleading info. What's the point of getting a mega pack HD if you're still charged for new channels?!

Absolute disgrace! Would be funny if other other DTH players start offering SWPremier for free!!
Old 24th September 2013, 22:36   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Mathur ji, I will look forward to reading your updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Khoj, I already made my 'reading' of TataSky some months ago.

Will post here how it unfolds.

Cheating is what they are doing and they know it too. The executives have never been as eager as they are over this subject, to hand over the call to their team leaders who simply do not come online but instead route the call to "Premier Customer" desk. Not that the PC executive can do anything either.

I took screen shots of the Mega Pack and Mega Pack HD pages on their web site. This was at noon and untill then neither of the pages had Star Premiere mentioned under 'specials'

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-screen-shot-20130924-12.04.58-pm.png

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-screen-shot-20130924-12.06.32-pm.png

This was duly pointed out to them and now the Mega pack page shows SP along with Toppers under specials

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-screen-shot-20130924-9.55.33-pm.png

However the Mega HD page is still the same as before and shows only topper under specials

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-screen-shot-20130924-9.53.37-pm.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
@khoj,

I agree. I just got off from an online chat with a TataSky representative, and he kept parroting that Star World Premiere HD was a 'special' service. At this rate, Tata Sky will simply add all new HD channels under 'special' category, and the promise of getting all new channels FOC under the mega pack is just hollow!

I feel this is downright cheating by Tata Sky...

They deserve to be taken to task not just for that but also for wasting our time and making us pay through our nose(s) for listening to RR promoting his movie and then unduly long hold times both before and in between the calls. Do note that all calls made to 1-860 numbers are chargeable @ Rs.2/- per minute since July of this year. They are making money either ways 1. through the call charges and 2. by promoting the film that too at our expense.

They are not even able to switch on the Annual subscription to this channel.

I recharged my account and then sent the required sms and received reply stating "invalid request" several times. Called up the CS and after the tete a tete with the IVR and RR landed up with a chap who immediately subscribed me to the monthly pack. Had to make it clear to him that I could have done that myself but am interested only in the annual pack so after trying and then trying harder he expressed his inability to access the annual pack. He tried getting his team leader on line who instead of doing his job simply connected the line to the premier customer desk. The girl on the pc desk also parroted the same "unable to access" story but assured me that as soon as they are able to she will switch the pack on for me since I had sufficient balance in my account.

Now, I fail to understand as to why a company in the service industry would work in such a shoddy manner. You first put your system in place and then offer a service to your customers but here these guys are going the other way round.

Later in the evening they sent out the generic message regarding the channel along with the code for the monthly subscription @ 60/- the annual pack is still not available. I have a feeling that as and when they do start the annual pack they will do so at a price point higher than the 500/- being offered @helpdesk now and will say that "500/- was a limited time offer". This is the modus operandi that they used for the wifi dongle too, which was initially offered at 100 or 150 but not supplied even after repeated calls and the same can now be had at 300/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
I hope someone takes tata sky to court over misleading info. What's the point of getting a mega pack HD if you're still charged for new channels?!

Absolute disgrace! Would be funny if other other DTH players start offering SWPremier for free!!
It is at times like this that I wish we had a sound legal system. By sound I mean swift and accessible to all.

Last edited by khoj : 24th September 2013 at 22:37.
Old 24th September 2013, 22:50   #2145
BHPian

@khoj,

A legal system is not needed, even a consumer court will do nicely. However, we do not have anything in writing from Tata Sky when we purchased the annual mega HD pack. Neither did I think of taking a screenshot of their website giving the details of the pack. Thus, there is nothing committed by Tata Sky. So it will be tough to pin them with a consumer court either...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks