Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2013, 11:18   #2071
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
The installation would happen in a day or two. Will post my observations then.
As usual, the installation had couple of hiccups like not turning up at agreed time etc. But once they arrived, the job was quite a professional one. The technician was ex-Tata Sky guy, so had decent communication skills. Cost me additional 200 for cable and few connectors.

Regarding the product, the picture/channel quality is good but there is small issue with Videocon D2h HD. Currently they are providing one Indian made STB which has RF remote. My new Samsung TV has a smart touch remote and it had a function to use it as universal remote as well. I could have configured it for operating STB as well but the STB needs to have a IR remote which this Videocon D2h does not have. I was looking forward to configure the TV remote for STB.
Old 29th July 2013, 22:16   #2072
Team-BHP Support

Guys, what all DTH providers show a channel called BABY TV. ?
Old 29th July 2013, 22:32   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, what all DTH providers show a channel called BABY TV. ?
Videocon d2h shows it
Old 29th July 2013, 22:53   #2074
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, thats the only one I could find. Strange, only one service provider showing it.
Old 29th July 2013, 23:37   #2075
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, thats the only one I could find. Strange, only one service provider showing it.
Dish tv HD channel 64
Old 29th July 2013, 23:40   #2076
Team-BHP Support

Sorry, should have mentioned. Need the feed in SD only, since it will be connected to a regular CRT TV

Edit: Its available on SD also, at least according to wikipedia. Lemme check out the Dish TV offers. Thanks divguy

Last edited by Eddy : 29th July 2013 at 23:42.
Old 31st July 2013, 14:10   #2077
BHPian

Need advice guys. As you might know Tata Sky is replacing the mpeg2 boxes with mpeg4 boxes. I have a mpeg2 box that will be replaced under this scheme. The thing is Tata Sky gives an option to get the SD box replaced with SD without any charge or one can request to replace it with HD box which will cost Rs. 990.

My SD box is currently connected to a CRT TV. Recently I had bought a HDTV and went for Videocon D2h HD connection due to price+no. of hd channels advantage. But I don't rule out going back to Tata Sky (HD) next year once the annual subscription to D2h is over. If I look at the official SD to HD upgrade offer of Tata Sky, it costs Rs. 1800, but due to this mpeg2 SD to mpeg4 SD, they are currently offering HD box at Rs. 990. So does it make sense to buy the HD box now (for lesser price), and if I decide to go back to Tata Sky for HDTV as well as CRT TV, get a new SD box next year?
Old 31st July 2013, 14:48   #2078
BANNED

Now converted the second room also to TataSky HD after purchasing an LED TV for it. Also, got the box of the HD+ changed (it was hanging) for a charge of Rs.350. I do not know whether this charge is special for Premium Club members. So we have one HD+ and one HD. I do seem to be having some problems in configuring the remote to control both TV (Samsung) and HD. Any suggestions.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:12   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Need advice guys. As you might know Tata Sky is replacing the mpeg2 boxes with mpeg4 boxes. I have a mpeg2 box that will be replaced under this scheme. The thing is Tata Sky gives an option to get the SD box replaced with SD without any charge or one can request to replace it with HD box which will cost Rs. 990.

My SD box is currently connected to a CRT TV. Recently I had bought a HDTV and went for Videocon D2h HD connection due to price+no. of hd channels advantage. But I don't rule out going back to Tata Sky (HD) next year once the annual subscription to D2h is over. If I look at the official SD to HD upgrade offer of Tata Sky, it costs Rs. 1800, but due to this mpeg2 SD to mpeg4 SD, they are currently offering HD box at Rs. 990. So does it make sense to buy the HD box now (for lesser price), and if I decide to go back to Tata Sky for HDTV as well as CRT TV, get a new SD box next year?
Yes it makes sense if you can get the SD pack rate on your HD box, else that monthly increase will also be there going waste till you get a HDTV.
Old 31st July 2013, 19:53   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do seem to be having some problems in configuring the remote to control both TV (Samsung) and HD. Any suggestions.
Are you trying to configure Samsung remote control to control the Tata Sky HD box? I think it comes with an IR cable and the on screen guide takes you through configuration.
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:16   #2081
BANNED

my friends,

I've just booked videocon d2h hd box with 1 yr subscription. I had 2 questions...

1. How do I make sure they bring me the bigger 90cm dish and do I have to pay extra for it ?

2. How do I make sure that the installation has been done properly ? Is there a way to check that the signal quality being received by the TV via the HD cable box is of maximum quality possible ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd August 2013, 21:45   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, should have mentioned. Need the feed in SD only, since it will be connected to a regular CRT TV

Edit: Its available on SD also, at least according to wikipedia. Lemme check out the Dish TV offers. Thanks divguy
Are you sure you have BabyTV on SD on DishTV?
I don't think that Wikipedia is correct on this one.
Old 3rd August 2013, 21:58   #2083
Team-BHP Support

I haven't followed up with Dish yet so don't know.

Videocon has it, but there is no SD recorder available.

BabyTV + SD Recorder is what I am looking for, but I don't think its available with any operator.
Old 4th August 2013, 11:55   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
my friends,

I've just booked videocon d2h hd box with 1 yr subscription. I had 2 questions...

1. How do I make sure they bring me the bigger 90cm dish and do I have to pay extra for it ?

2. How do I make sure that the installation has been done properly ? Is there a way to check that the signal quality being received by the TV via the HD cable box is of maximum quality possible ?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure of the size of the dish that they bring but it is a regular size dish like other operators. BTW, why do you need bigger dish?

Regarding, signal quality, it can be checked on screen after the installation is done. The technician can show it to you. Just tell him while installing that you'd need to have maximum signal quality. When I got it installed, I was unaware of the difference between signal strength and signal quality. All along I was telling him to give me maximum strength which he duly acknowledged. My box shows full strength but the quality I'd say is at 80%. There are no numerical values in the screen to check but it will be shown in the form of bars.
Old 5th August 2013, 22:50   #2085
BHPian

Guys
I have just realized that Dish TV have pulled out most of the HD channels from their Platinum Pack.
Only the following are true HD channels currently available:
Zee TV/Cinema/Studio HD, Sony/Six HD, Star Plus/Movies/Gold/World HD, Life OK HD, Zee Cinema HD, Movies Now, HBO Defined/Hits HD, Fox Traveller HD, Discovery HD, Nat Geo/NGC Wild/Adventure HD, CNBC Prime HD, Ten HD, M Tunes HD.
Most of the HD entertainment channels have disappeared!
That too, after paying for the so-called 'Platinum pack' for the whole year!
Any similar complaints from the other service providers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks