Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 00:27   #1936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
2 new movie channels HBO Defined. & HBO Hits introduced in Airtel DTH and it's free till 21st of March. They are available in channels 199 & 200 respectively.
Yes. But I miss ESPN HD. Wonder why they stopped it. F1 on HD used to be awesome.
Old 8th March 2013, 12:00   #1937
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Got the ~5.7 package deal from Videocon for 1 year south platinum. Close to 400 channels and quite a few HD channels.

Signal has been steady even during a mild shower and i guess its the same with Airtel and Tatasky.

Went with Videocon just because of the cost factor and post 1 year will decide on the new package. Currently with the HD box turns out to be 475 a month.

Would recommend videocon for the value point and by comparing with other SP's.

The customer service are quite good so far to acknowledge and provide service. Took less than 6 hrs from payment to get it installed and activated.
Old 9th March 2013, 21:32   #1938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Everybodys talking about GSAT-10 and how it will benefit TATA Sky. If it is to be believed, there will be major upgrade in terms of number of channels +HD channels addition in coming months. Would be better if you can wait till Jan (3 more Months) and then take a call. We will know exactly what their strategy is by then! If they still continue to increase their rates with every channel addition, then it might be time to shift.
It has been more than six months after the GSAT launch and there has been not been any major channel additions in Tatasky.

-- Wnd
Old 13th March 2013, 17:41   #1939
BHPian

Has anyone here used the optical S/PDIF port in their Airtel HD box for 5.1 sound?

HDMI is not an option as my sound system has no HDMI in. Just S/PDIF and Coaxial.
Old 13th March 2013, 18:02   #1940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Got the ~5.7 package deal from Videocon for 1 year south platinum. Close to 400 channels and quite a few HD channels.
Is that for a HD recorder ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Just saw a teaser on airtel digital TV.

"Two ad free HBO channels coming soon"
Although unlikely but it would be great if they launch in HD as well.
They are already there now, but not even in SD. The quality is so poor. If HD is Blu Ray, SD is DVD, then this is VHS. Don't feel like watching them at all though there are some nice movies there.
Old 13th March 2013, 18:14   #1941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
They are already there now, but not even in SD. The quality is so poor. If HD is Blu Ray, SD is DVD, then this is VHS. Don't feel like watching them at all though there are some nice movies there.

Seen Star Sports2? I was hoping it would be HD, but its not. Ch 236 on Airtel.
Old 13th March 2013, 21:46   #1942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
It has been more than six months after the GSAT launch and there has been not been any major channel additions in Tatasky.

-- Wnd
Yes and still no insight on when the 2 new HBO channels are going to hit TS! Off late they are the most expensive of the lot and behind the rest of the pack with the offerings as well.
Old 13th March 2013, 22:57   #1943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Yes and still no insight on when the 2 new HBO channels are going to hit TS! Off late they are the most expensive of the lot and behind the rest of the pack with the offerings as well.
Are you guys referring to HBO Hits and HBO Defined?
They are coming for free (15 days) on DishTV. I watched it for an hour or so.

However, the quality is as good as any other channel - nothing missing there.

Note: These are SD as far as I know.
Old 13th March 2013, 23:59   #1944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I have to renew my subscription in a few days and I was quoted the below figures:

Primary connection (mega pack HD) Rs.6900/- and Secondary connection Rs.1760/-. Total Rs.8660/-. These guys are becoming expensive every year!
I agree, they have jacked up the price by about 900 from last year. My renewal is due in a couple of days, and I had some free time at hand so chatted about discount. I was refused point blank saying Mega pack HD is anyway loaded with freebies like free showcase movies, so they can't give a better deal. I think they know that they have the best quality on HD, and the "mega-HD pack types" will pay whatever price it comes at.

Let me know if you get a better deal.
Old 14th March 2013, 02:33   #1945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Has anyone here used the optical S/PDIF port in their Airtel HD box for 5.1 sound?

HDMI is not an option as my sound system has no HDMI in. Just S/PDIF and Coaxial.
Optical S/PDIF works fine on Airtel HD box. Stereo for SD channels and Dolby Digital for HD. The volume difference between SD and HD channels is something I need research on.

Mash
Old 14th March 2013, 08:32   #1946
BHPian

My misadventure with AIRTEL DTH HD.

Booked it online on 6-Mar, having taken the bait of 2990 for a HD+. The installation happened only on 10-Mar, but activation not done. Began calling up customer care, got a standard response 'Sir, your connection would be activated in the next 1 hour'. Kept calling them up till 12-Mar evening. Things appeared to have fallen under a crack. Customer care reps were hardly helpful. On 13-Mar, I gave in to my mounting temper and the receiving end was customer care. The nodal agency in Chennai for Airtel is run by goons or goons-look-alike for sure. The installation guys wouldn't look out of place Puzhal and the lady behind the desk wouldn't be alien in a drug dealing house. Absolutely non committal. Couldn't be any farther from being professional.

In the event of fixing this activation, they sent a guy on 13-Mar with a new dish and a new setopbox. Why ? Airtel's savage mind working overtime. Returned the guy. Later one more guy turns up with a new settopbox, this time says, my previous order is cancelled and this one would be setup. I say ok go ahead. Now they activate it, but the activation for the STD id is already linked to someother guy. It dawns on them that the STB no printed on the box and what's shown in the diagnostic screen are different. They get a new STB, the third one and finally late in the evening on 13-Mar, I get to see something moving on my TV.

Lessons Learnt
1. Never buy online. Never pay upfront. Only when activation is done and you are happy to see your stars on screen, pay them.
2. Don't sign any paper untill you are completely satisfied.
3. Don't trust Airtel customer care in resolving your queries. Take it up with the Nodal Agency.
4. If your Nodal Agency is a goon hangout, like mine, you would well wish for your lucky stars to show some mercy on you.

The picture quality of HD is pretty good on my HD TV. The sound quality is pathetic. Perhaps it's with the TV. Perhaps it's with the acoustics in my room. But overall it's manageable.

With Airtel at 2999 and TATA SKY HD+ at 6990, it hardly a choice, is it?
The low price comes with a free baggage, as I found out.
Old 14th March 2013, 09:34   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I agree, they have jacked up the price by about 900 from last year. My renewal is due in a couple of days, and I had some free time at hand so chatted about discount. I was refused point blank saying Mega pack HD is anyway loaded with freebies like free showcase movies, so they can't give a better deal. I think they know that they have the best quality on HD, and the "mega-HD pack types" will pay whatever price it comes at.

Let me know if you get a better deal.
Well finally I did renew it 2 weeks back. Paid 6900 without any discount. The only story they have is we have the best HD. I am using TS since 7 years now and in spite being a "privileged" member there was no discount extended what-so-ever. I prefer the mega pack because any new channels introduced comes to me free of cost!
Old 14th March 2013, 11:19   #1948
BHPian

I am using TS HD for over a year now and very happy with it. Due to the STB rule, need to purchase one for my parents. Looking for a non HD, value for money package. Is anyone using DD STB?
Old 18th March 2013, 23:37   #1949
Senior - BHPian

Any Tata Sky HD users?

Hello!

I would like to get some feedback from T-BHP members who use Tata Skys HD offering. Firstly, I should mention I'm interested in their services for F1 mainly.
Now, I would like to know if:

1.)ESPN HD on Tata Sky is truly Full HD(1080) or not and how is picture quality of this particular channel?

2.)Are all the other Channels also 1080p or just 720p unscaled?

3.)Is their service stable? or are there disruptions?

4.)If there are people who use Tata Sky HD+ I would like to know if it's worth it to pay a premium for the device with the recording option or not.

Thanks in advance : ).
Old 19th March 2013, 08:49   #1950
BHPian

@Maky, I have been using TS HD since it started. The STB is connected to a 40” LCD.
All the Asli HD channels are meant to be 1080i and not 1080p.
The HD Picture Quality is great, I happened to watch some of the F1 on ESPN HD this weekend and it was sharp and clear.
I have noticed off late the HD channels do get some disruption. The same channel in SD is available while HD has got an error screen. This is my experience and others can confirm if they too are seeing this behavior.

Another point of consideration might be the price which I think is the highest in the market right now.

With the above said I am happy with my TSHD service.

Last edited by yajaman99 : 19th March 2013 at 08:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks