Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 14:12   #1876
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

I jusy noticed a HD music channel on TataSky, M Tunes. Pretty good. So i am waiting for more HD channels, one just needs to be patient:(

Last edited by yajaman99 : 20th December 2012 at 14:13.
Old 20th December 2012, 14:34   #1877
BHPian

Heard just now that Airtel intends to discontinue Start Cricket HD and ESPN HD on the 23rd of this month. The absence of it in the their HD channels section and the results that come up when you search about it; confirms it.

What are you up to AirTel ?

Edit: Just received an SMS from them.

Namaste!Eff.24-Dec,ESPN HD&Star Cricket HD are being removed from our platformRs275 will be credited to airtel digitalTVID300908xxxx towards advance rent charged.

This is not done. Rs. 275 cannot be regarded as a compensation if they're going to credit it to the TV account.

Last edited by vinu_h : 20th December 2012 at 14:46.
Old 23rd December 2012, 12:26   #1878
BHPian

Three DTH players pull plug on ESPN HD, Star Cricket HD

Quote:
A DTH operator told TOI that ESPN HD, which used to cost Rs 40 per month, is now being priced at Rs 142 monthly, while customers who earlier paid Rs 40 for Star Cricket HD will now have to pay Rs 120 monthly. This hike they said is too steep for them to pass on to their subscribers. However, Tata Sky, Videocon D2H and Reliance Big TV will continue telecasting the HD versions of the sports channels.
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:13   #1879
BHPian

I would say they have done the right thing. ESPN is taking indians for granted. Rs.142pm i would say is more than daylight robbery.
Although they could have continued the broadcast but there would have been very few takers so it wasn't feasible.
Old 23rd December 2012, 16:19   #1880
BHPian

I own Sun DTH SD. Is there an option to upgrade to HD? The customer care people doesn't know anything of this.

BTW, is Sun HD good or should I go for a different provider?
Old 23rd December 2012, 16:36   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I am not talking about the existing channels here but the channels to be launched in 2013.
I am currently on Airtel DigitalTV and getting the following HD channels-
Hathway provides all of them in addition to CNBC Prime HD, Travel XP HD and MTunes HD. And all this for Rs 200 per month. Not sure if there are any more HD channels in India other than this, except the ones from Sun TV group.
Old 23rd December 2012, 16:56   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post

Hathway provides all of them in addition to CNBC Prime HD, Travel XP HD and MTunes HD. And all this for Rs 200 per month. Not sure if there are any more HD channels in India other than this, except the ones from Sun TV group.
I am currently on Airtel DigitalTV and getting the following HD channels for less than 200pm
1.Star Plus
2.Colors
3.Sony
4.Star World
5.Zee Cinema
6.Star Gold
7.Movies Now
8.Star Movies
9.Zee Studio
10.Star Cricket
11.ESPN
12.Ten Sports
13.Sony Six
14.Nat Geo
15.History TV18
16.Discovery
17.Zee TV
After tomorrow rental would be reduced by Rs.40pm.
Old 23rd December 2012, 20:54   #1883
BHPian

I have Two set-top boxes of tata-Sky, One is HD and another is SD which i was using it as add-on connection. Now I was to put this SD set-top box in my parents house, so i need to buy an antenna, anyone know how much antenna costs ?
Old 24th December 2012, 19:33   #1884
BHPian

I have a Tata Sky SD box with no Card or Dish. Is it possible to get these from tata sky?
Old 24th December 2012, 21:28   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I have Two set-top boxes of tata-Sky, One is HD and another is SD which i was using it as add-on connection. Now I was to put this SD set-top box in my parents house, so i need to buy an antenna, anyone know how much antenna costs ?
Yes,you can get it transferred. They would charge around 600 for the dish and installation.
Call the helpline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
I have a Tata Sky SD box with no Card or Dish. Is it possible to get these from tata sky?
You would end up paying almost the same as a new connection. Better buy a new connection.
Still call and confirm with the helpline.
Old 26th December 2012, 18:13   #1886
Senior - BHPian

New on this thread.
I have a DishTV SD STB (special one with VGA out).
Currently I pay around Rs. 160 per month (base pack) and with a new TV coming soon, I am contemplating a shift to HD.
We don't watch cricket or other sports, so if given an option, I would prefer a service where I can pick individual channels and pay only for those.
I would prefer good options for kids programs (like the ones from BBC) and good number of English and Hindi movie channels as well, besides the Discovery network channels.

The total number of channels in a package is a useless figure in my opinion. We hardly watch 20 channels across a month. Hence someone offering us this per-channel selection would be ideal for my requirement.

Of course, good picture quality and sound quality would be a bonus.

So, desirable attributes of the DTH service for me are:
1. Ability to pick channels and create your own package. At a minimum select a base package which costs less and then add individual channels.
2. No unnecessary HD channels (like sports) should come in, unless they are free of cost.
3. HD transmission should be good quality.
4. Good options for kids/ educational program (like BBC channels)
5. Movie channels which give break free movies are desirable
6. Movie channels with subtitles are desirable
7. Recorder option is nice to have
8. Another desirable feature is to hide channels which are included be default, but which we never watch (e.g. regional channels in languages which we don't understand). I want to minimize the channel scroll.

I am tilting toward Videocon D2H at the moment, but I still have some time to decide till my SD connection account runs to zero.

Quote:
I am referring to the actual HD channels 1080i here and not the upscaled ones made to fool people.
Why do you say that? Would the up-scaled channels appear worse than the SD broadcast? Or is that comment due to extra charge that is taken without any noticeable improvement in quality?

Quote:
Yes,you can get it transferred. They would charge around 600 for the dish and installation.
Call the helpline.

You would end up paying almost the same as a new connection. Better buy a new connection.
I have a similar situation, in the sense that my STB will be valued at Rs. 600 as exchange. Will it be better to sell it off in the outside market and pay full charge for the new HD STB.

BTW, DishTV scores over others in that the recorder component is free - we just need to invest in a large pen drive.
Will my existing Dish work fine with the new HD STB? If yes, I can save on Rs. 200 towards installation, since I just paid Rs. 300 for installation after shifting my house.
Old 26th December 2012, 23:10   #1887
BHPian

@S_U_N you need excel here, stack up all parameters and the decide which one works best for you.

I choose Videocon d2H as I found it to be the best deal on Monthly payments, I tried doing the per channel (on Tatasky IIRC) and it turned out to be more expensive than the package with all the channels on ne with all the Videocon d2H.

The most HD channels as of today is with Videocon d2H, maybe a year down the line, I will move to some other service provider as I wrangled a free HD STB.

So factor in your cost of the STB + 12 months of service and then decide which is best.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:36   #1888
BANNED

I have experience of TataSky and Airtel. While I am with the former the latter is with my son in Manipal, both on Mega Packs. Service A+ to Tata, Airtel took ages to install his second line until he read the Riot Act to them. Then they installed a second dish for the second line. Quality - excellent on both. Remote on Airtel is more friendly since it includes the TV as well.
Old 27th December 2012, 11:59   #1889
BHPian

Had a discussion with uhe sun direct guys, they said Sun HD with the box/antenna cost around 2940/-
Since I am already with the SD, they can give me a 500/- discount. Insane!!

But should I opt for it? I have a 40" LCD

As of now I recharge for 200/- PM
What would be the monthly spend if I go for HD?
Old 27th December 2012, 12:07   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Then they installed a second dish for the second line.
This sounds unusual, why is this required? Second or third connections do not need separate dishes, at least with Tata Sky.

Most Viewed