Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2008, 17:24   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I will post one in the evening. I am in office right now. Clarity no doubt is great (Not HD type but true DVD quality). Voice quality is also good.
Do mention what TV you are using - CRT, LCD, Plasma etc.
Old 25th August 2008, 18:14   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One good thing is that Set top box has USB support as well. I have not inquired much about USB but will experiment/find out in the evening today and will let you all know, what is this USB port actually for.
You can connect external hard drives and record your favorite shows.
Old 25th August 2008, 21:15   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Do mention what TV you are using - CRT, LCD, Plasma etc.
I have 29 inch Samsung CRT TV. No LCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
You can connect external hard drives and record your favorite shows.
Would try that.

Clarity as I said is awesome in my CRT and sound quality is clear as required.

Here are the pics of BIG TV set top box and some screen shots. Movie channels still not activated would have to call customer care for that.

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-img_0108.jpg

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-img_0109.jpg

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-img_0110.jpg

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-img_0115.jpg
Old 26th August 2008, 01:22   #379
aZa
Senior - BHPian

USB ?? what is the USB for ?
Old 26th August 2008, 08:58   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
USB ?? what is the USB for ?
As normally_crazy said it is for recording programs in external USB hard disk. I inquired about USB from reliance personal, he said current firmware in set top box does not support USB. It needs firmware upgrade for USB support.

I do not know how much this information is correct.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:24   #381
Senior - BHPian

[quote=anujmishra;952728
Here are the pics of BIG TV set top box and some screen shots. Movie channels still not activated would have to call customer care for that.
[/quote]
I see some (or line of) grains on the T.V. Is it because of the Photo or big screen size? I too have a 29" and so wanted to clarify this.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:35   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I see some (or line of) grains on the T.V. Is it because of the Photo or big screen size? I too have a 29" and so wanted to clarify this.
No No, there are absolutely no grains in TV. It is very very clean. In pictures it might come because of camera and reflections.

It is sure watching TV so clean after so many days adds new excitement.

Few updates:

-> There are total 186 channels on BIG TV now.
-> BIG TV is planning HD channel telecast for few in 2 - 3 months
-> Among regional channels all channels are included as of now in channel list.
-> Movie channels they will activate in 2 - 3 days.
-> Sound quality is very good compare to cable sound
-> There are good amount of English Movie channels and Music channels
Old 26th August 2008, 09:51   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a TATA SKY user for quite some time now -- practically from the time they launched in Bangalore.

The customer service is nothing great to write about and in rains the signal just goes away. However; must say that the frequency of outages in rains has decreased from what it used to be earlier.

I am on the annual plan so I pay 3,000/- bucks for everything/all packages for the year.

I would not mind shifting to Big TV (if it is technically superior) but just can't trust the customer service of anything called Reliance (particularly ADAG group). It would require a huge leap of faith for me to switch to BigTV.
Old 26th August 2008, 09:56   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I would not mind shifting to Big TV (if it is technically superior) but just can't trust the customer service of anything called Reliance (particularly ADAG group). It would require a huge leap of faith for me to switch to BigTV.
I agree. We have not forgot the initial days of Reliance launching the mobile phone and numerous complaints on its customer cell. Anyway, I hope it has increased a bit now. So, its just wait and watch.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:23   #385
Senior - BHPian

As per my encounter with BIG TV customer care, I am pretty satisfied. They have good access to customer care service through toll free number and they answer my all queries. I expect this will continue as it is or improve in future.

As per outages in rain, I have not encountered rain yet after installation. Waiting for rain to come for testing BIG TV .
Old 26th August 2008, 10:29   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
anujmishra : As per outages in rain, I have not encountered rain yet after installation. Waiting for rain to come for testing BIG TV .
Anuj, thought you would have done the rain-testing last night. Do let us know when you do it.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:34   #387
BHPian

Quote:
I have 29 inch Samsung CRT TV. No LCD.

Would try that.

Clarity as I said is awesome in my CRT and sound quality is clear as required.

Attachment 42317

Attachment 42318

Attachment 42319

Attachment 42320

Its great to know that they are atleast giving component out on the video. Please use that instead of composite. You will get a better picture from the component out.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:36   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Anuj, thought you would have done the rain-testing last night. Do let us know when you do it.
Yesterday evening there was mild rain and there was not any disturbances in telecast. I feel in mild rain Tata Sky also works fine. But I have never heard from Dish TV subscriber about outages in heavy rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Its great to know that they are atleast giving component out on the video. Please use that instead of composite. You will get a better picture from the component out.

I am using component out from my home theater. There is only one component in in my TV and two composite in so using composite in for Big TV.

Last edited by Zappo : 26th August 2008 at 14:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the edit button to add content in the 1st 20 mins. Use Multiquote to answer many people at one go.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:40   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

@anuj, as the mods would say : pls use multi-quote to combine posts, instead of creating back-to-back posts.

Last night there was pretty good rain, esp in south BLR. Evening's rain was much milder.
Old 26th August 2008, 11:14   #390
BHPian

I have been using DishTV for about 4 years now. I was pondering on switch to BigTV for only one reason: HD, however it seems that it is not there yet. Have a HTPC setup at home and DisthTV does look nice, but not really sharp.

The USB thing did catch my attention, but I am very very sure that Reliance won't allow it to be used for recording shows, may be that would yield to copyright infringement or may be it will be some kind of revenue generator for Reliance.

Finger crossed.

~LT

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks