Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2008, 18:16   #511
BHPian

I dont know about chrome but BIG TV website and firefox don't gel well. I need to use IE
Old 24th September 2008, 09:22   #512
Senior - BHPian

Here you go.

Atlast, I got the BIG TV installed.

It took 100s of calls / chain to reach to the guys in Mumbai. To make it short, here is the outcome.
Guys, we have an BIG TV Office in Whitefield in Sadamangalam Ind Estaet, next to Nandini hotel. (Opp to ITPL)
Phone - 30386000.
Call this number and you can get connected to other guy incharge for Install.
Good luck.

I should say the quality is really good. But I do noticed some bugs in the STB.
It is very slow sometimes in browsing channels.
Look at this,

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-img00195.jpg
Old 24th September 2008, 15:19   #513
Senior - BHPian

One more. The team came for install is actually from Mumbai. They said that there are 15 teams from Mumbai working in Bangalore. Reason: around 6K connections pending in Bangalore. And each team does about 4 - 5 install per day. So, unless you push, its going to take its own time.

Today I got 3 calls for installation . Dont know where these guys where for the past 20 days.
Old 1st October 2008, 14:42   #514
BHPian

I got my Big TV connection last friday - 2 weeks after i purchased the DTB from a Web World. As usual went through the pains of calling CC, in queue for 10 min, shouting on them, being put on hold, getting disconnected etc. etc.

Finally when the installation person called, I had to leave office early and I did not take any chances of rescheduling - lest i get into a 2-week cycle again. The installation was smooth, the people who came were courteous. They told that there are 4 ISPs in Bangalore with 15 or more teams each for installation & each team does 4 installations a day - total of 250 installations per day. The norm for installation is 1-2 weeks in Bangalore.

Now about the quality:
1. I am getting all the channels - as indicated in Max 4990 pack on Big TV website (Neo, CNN, et. al.). I had purchased the South 2190 pack. The person who came for installation said, I will receive these channels for 1 year - if thats the case, it is darn good.

2. The video quality is very good - I do not have experience with other DTH providers to compare, but compared to cable it is very good

3. The hindi cinema channels are useless. English cinema channels are paid and not available.

4. The STB software is sometimes too slow for comfort.

5. Some of the keys on remote do not work. The software has a few glitches as well.

Reliance has to also get the process of recharging the account right. I think it is currently in "beta" stage.

Overall Reliance true to its reputation has launched the service with a killer price but the product is still not ready - reminds me of their mobile service launch. But they redefined the rules of the game then and hopefully they will do the same now. As far as I am concerned, as long as I get all channels with same clarity for 1 year - its paisa vasool and I can always shift to another provider later.

Would I recommend - Yes. And for installation go with expectation that it will take 1-2 weeks time.

~maniac
Old 1st October 2008, 15:29   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
3. The hindi cinema channels are useless. English cinema channels are paid and not available.

~maniac
And when asked they said English Cinema channels is Rs. 60 per movie per viewing .
I wudn't mind if they are showing recent movies. The listed movies are 'Spiderman' 'The Blue Lagoon' etc. And the regional movie channels are only Telegu, Kannada, Bengali, and Marathi.
Old 1st October 2008, 18:49   #516
Senior - BHPian

Bharti DTH coming next week -

The Hindu Business Line : Bharti's DTH service in first week of October
Old 1st October 2008, 22:05   #517
Senior - BHPian

BIG tv update:- they have removed Pogo, Asianet etc. Don't know what else are removed. Do you guys know what all will be removed?
Old 1st October 2008, 22:23   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
BIG tv update:- they have removed Pogo, Asianet etc. Don't know what else are removed. Do you guys know what all will be removed?
Going by business practices adopted by Reliance, i won't be surprised if they remove all channels except Doordarshan and say all other channels have to paid for.
Old 4th October 2008, 10:20   #519
BHPian

Now a days, there is an advt. coming in most of the channels which says 'See you at home soon'. Is this any way related to Airtel DTH? Any guess, when is it being launched?
Old 4th October 2008, 10:50   #520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Now a days, there is an advt. coming in most of the channels which says 'See you at home soon'. Is this any way related to Airtel DTH? Any guess, when is it being launched?
Yes, it is Airtel. And it will be at your home in the second week of October
Old 4th October 2008, 15:30   #521
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhusati View Post
Going by business practices adopted by Reliance, i won't be surprised if they remove all channels except Doordarshan and say all other channels have to paid for.
they allowed all the customers access to all channels irrespective of package opted for for one month only.
Then they removed the channels which were not part of the package offered.
Old 4th October 2008, 17:28   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
they allowed all the customers access to all channels irrespective of package opted for for one month only.
Then they removed the channels which were not part of the package offered.

ahh this was expected! good am still holding on to tata...i really dont trust Reliance..

I think i will wait Airtel to settle.....
Old 7th October 2008, 16:08   #523
Senior - BHPian

Airtel Digital launched

Here you go fellas - Airtel DTH goes on sale Oct. 9:

Airtel makes its television debut - Set to redefine home entertainment with Airtel digital TV

• Airtel digital TV to be available in 62 cities in first phase
• MPEG4 standard with DVB S2 technology offers high audio, video quality and ensures system in HD ready
• For the first time a universal remote for both Set Top Box and TV to offer enhanced customer convenience
• Wide range of channels and interactive applications
• 20% larger dish antenna offers better performance during rains

Mumbai, October 7, 2008: Bharti Airtel Limited today announced the launch of Airtel digital TV, its Direct To Home (DTH) Satellite TV service. Airtel digital TV, which is a perfect blend of latest technology, unique features, and great content, promises to redefine the digital home entertainment experience. The service will be available to customers through 21,000 retail points including Airtel Relationship Centres in 62 cities across the country starting October 9, 2008.

Airtel digital TV uses the latest MPEG4 standard with DVB S2 technology, which translates into exceptional picture clarity and consistent high quality audio for the customer. This latest technology also enables delivery of more complex interactive content and is High Definition ready. Also, Airtel digital TV uses 20% larger dish antenna that offers better performance during rain.

Besides the latest technology, Airtel digital TV brings many firsts to the DTH segment in India:

• Universal remote for both Set Top Box and TV that offers enhanced viewer convenience;
• Highest Set Top Box memory enabling more interactive applications;
• Exclusive content such as World space Radio;

• Interactive applications such as iMatinee (Book cinema tickets), iTravel (Browse and book travel packages), iShop (Shop on TV for your favorite brands), iCity (Get your city’s information) and Widgets (Update yourself on latest stock news). 8 screen iNews, 2 / 4 screen iSports.
• Amazing games with high quality graphics, refreshed every 6 weeks
• Audio gain control for uniform audio levels across all channels
• Simple and intuitive search
• On screen account meter
• Last viewed channel in case of power disruption/switch off
• Low battery indicator on the screen

These great viewing experience and unique features are backed by 24x7 customer care available in 8 different languages and a team of 800 professionally trained service engineers.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:28   #524
BHPian

Airtel is launching with 175 channels too, thats great

Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge > Airtel to launch DTH service from 9 October
Old 7th October 2008, 16:36   #525
Senior - BHPian

My BIG TV Firmware gone :(

My BIG TV set top box's firmware gone kaput. My channels were not coming (I do not know why), so I was just searching for channels and suddenly BIG TV STB's power went off and when it again automatically switched on then nothing were coming on TV.

Lights of STB glowing first red, green, then red green orange (all) and red and so on on cyclic manner (Like Diwali Lights).

Somehow registered complain with BIG TV customer care and they said it will take 48 hours to resolve your complain(Some engineer will visit my home). Already 45 hours gone. Lets see 3 more hours.

STB's quality is not good at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks