Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2008, 21:26   #481
Senior - BHPian

I saw a Big TV installation today. Hated the bright, solid color logo and the menu, which was fidgety and non-intuitive. Couldn't tell if the picture quality was better than TSky and Dish because it was connected to a CRT TV and on those all DTH services look brilliant.
While fidgeting with the menu I came across a channel called ISP movies . It was locked and had a cash logo. My guess was this is a movie-on-demand service that will be used when Big puts that USB port at the back of the STB to use.
IMHO TSky still has the best user interface.

Last edited by StarScream : 14th September 2008 at 21:27.
Old 15th September 2008, 12:25   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
IMHO TSky still has the best user interface.
No doubt about that. The biggest advantage is their entry cost the 2190 (atleast in the south) with a 1 year subscription works out less than the amount we pay to the cable operator.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:57   #483
BHPian

Will upconverting a tata sky signal to 720p make any noticable difference? The screen in in this case is Panny PV8.I had almost shortlisted on Denon 1908, to be imported thru' a friend from US, but then started considering Onkyo TX-SR606 due to it's upconverting capability. And I don't want to spend more than $400, hence Denon 1909 is out of the picture.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:01   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
i'm before all of you in queue

booked on 2nd (tuesday).. got the standard answer of 72 hrs

waited till saturday (6th) and called up CC.. that guy gave me a service request no and within two days assurance

got a call on monday morning from customer executive. took all the details. what amused me was his expression when i said "6 days back" he was like "still not done!!!".
He assured me, he will "prioritize" my work order.

waited till today afternoon and called back CC. Guy asked me to stay in line and dropped the call after a while.

Me wondering what to do. probably will visit the dealer here and try to get ISP no from him.
Any update on this?? I am still nagging them. And their usual 'surprise' response on not installed yet. Pathetic follow up. WIll have to try tomorrow.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:32   #485
Senior - BHPian

Guys, we are NOT alone Just google and you will know how many people out there waiting for their install. Which means, its not in near future. lol. Fingers crossed, waiting to see what happens.
Also have a thinking of returning the kit. Not sure if we can. Any one tried?
Old 16th September 2008, 13:09   #486
rkg
Senior - BHPian

My set top box is hanging after 15 days service. called them they said i will get a call by 3.30 Pm to day and some one will come to see. just waiting to see what happens
Old 16th September 2008, 14:14   #487
BHPian

As usual. Nothing much to update.

Just for sake of details, I did ask them yesterday for procedure to cancel a connection. He promptly told me to take the STB and smart card along with recharge vouchers and bill to the dealer and he will immediately refund (if cash).

But considering their package is too good to resist (and also that initial rush will have to die someday), I will wait. Nothing much to lose since its one year package from activation date.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:08   #488
Senior - BHPian

Update: Just talked to a customer service exec. Thankfully she speaks english.
And the 'system' worked. I got an update that my order number is in 'solve' status.
I asked when i will get a solution. And i got answered that 'today' evening.
(this is going to be like Ganesha's marriage..tomorrow, tomorrow!!).
Old 16th September 2008, 15:24   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
Will upconverting a tata sky signal to 720p make any noticable difference? The screen in in this case is Panny PV8.I had almost shortlisted on Denon 1908, to be imported thru' a friend from US, but then started considering Onkyo TX-SR606 due to it's upconverting capability. And I don't want to spend more than $400, hence Denon 1909 is out of the picture.
I have no idea if this will work but let me warn you the TSky signal on an LCD is less than DVD quality so any gain from up-conversion may be limited. I would suggest wait and watch. A lot of DTH players from Big to Sun are talking about introducing HD so buying a receiver just for this could turn out to be a waste. If you planned to buy the receiver anyway then this is worth a try.
Old 16th September 2008, 20:19   #490
Senior - BHPian

Update : Got installed just now. After a lot of calls and frustration, it finally is done.
I am enjoying it. The menu looks fantastic. Bye bye grainy channels and to an era.
I still remember doing a DIY dish+receiver at my village due to lack of channels. all history now. Now budgeting for a good big tv...
Old 16th September 2008, 20:24   #491
Senior - BHPian

Reliance BIG TV is worth a wait! the ferason cheap rates and many channels with good picture quality. For best offers this is best service. Heavy rush has made them into this situation. Soon it will be improved I hope.

For best service TATA Sky is good one which wide variety of services.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 17th September 2008, 09:39   #492
Senior - BHPian

To some extend I would say, they have improved.

Last week, we need to wait on line like 45min or even 1hr to get anybody on line. Now its reduced to like 10-20min.

I heard they have opened some more CC's in Bangalore for this Big TV issues. Lets hope for the best.
Old 17th September 2008, 10:54   #493
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
To some extend I would say, they have improved.

Last week, we need to wait on line like 45min or even 1hr to get anybody on line. Now its reduced to like 10-20min.

I heard they have opened some more CC's in Bangalore for this Big TV issues. Lets hope for the best.
I agree. yesterday at 12.30 Pm i mailed them stating that my set top box is hanging. at 2.30 Pm some body from bombay called me to give directions on how to solve it. i said iam in office. so they called me at 6.30 Pm which was agreed in the afternoon and tried to solve it. it did not succeed. so they gave me a complaint number and said some will come and attend with 48 hours. they have also emailed the same.
lets hope for the best
Old 17th September 2008, 23:58   #494
BHPian

got it installed today in the evening

some likes and dislikes

+ very good broadcast quality. bye bye grainy picture and sound
+ I'm getting many more channels than cablewala. my cablewala didn't offer many channels.
+ HBO, ZEE, NEO etc.. I'm able to view them presently though they should have been locked!!! WHY???
- installer cant carry out hidden wiring
- UI is a bit slow. Not a big problem considering they will update firmware sooner or later
- I didn't like remote much. ergonomics (button layout) and labeling is nothing to the designer
- STB already hung once. Again the firmware is be blamed i guess.
- Finally not to mention the CC but i guess they are improving.
Old 18th September 2008, 09:30   #495
BHPian

Got the installation done yesterday and guess what? Activation not done because 'servers down.' They say since yesterday morning, no activations have happened.
Guess its another long wait for activation! Meanwhile I can only watch Doordarshan's Gyan Darshan! hhhmmmm!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks