Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2008, 12:48   #346
jp1
BHPian

Anybody have experience with Sun DTH in Bangalore? Supposed to be MPEG 4 which should be better than Tata Sky
Old 19th August 2008, 12:54   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Under the 'Features' section on the BigTV website (BIG TV), the front and rear images of the set top boxes are given. At the rear, it has component out(Y/Pb/Pr) and also the composite out(Yellow out). There is no HDMI out as of now. Also, there is a USB port option at the rear.
Component Video Out will give you upto 720p resolution which is what HDTV broadcasting gives you. HDMI is not necessarily required for HDTV.

The USB is supposedly there to connect an external hard disk (as per some people who got the STB installed and inquired from the engineers who came to do it).

I have my eyes stuck on this for some time now. If this HDD part is true, TataSky Bye Bye for me and BigTV welcome.
Old 19th August 2008, 13:50   #348
BHPian

@SumitB,
How's the performance of Tata Sky during rains? If i am not wrong, it rains worse than Mumbai there in north east. Here at Mumbai, I am experiencing lots of interruptions during rains in my Tata Sky.
Hence am waiting for Reliance's IPTV to be launched. Would then go for the DVR model, with true video on demand and so many more features that are not possible on DTH.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:02   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
@SumitB,
How's the performance of Tata Sky during rains? If i am not wrong, it rains worse than Mumbai there in north east. Here at Mumbai, I am experiencing lots of interruptions during rains in my Tata Sky.
Hence am waiting for Reliance's IPTV to be launched. Would then go for the DVR model, with true video on demand and so many more features that are not possible on DTH.
surprisingly this monsoon there have been very very few interruptions due to rain.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:24   #350
BHPian

We have got a 90cm dish installed for out TataSky connection. This was an one-off case as I used to complain a lot during the initial days. We do have disruptions due to rain but they are minimal. TataSky used to be good but over the last year or so, they have really gone down. I have 8 TataSky boxes at my home and workplace and I will discard them all if BigTV gets good reviews on the net. I am especially looking forward to their PVR.
Old 19th August 2008, 18:01   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Component Video Out will give you upto 720p resolution which is what HDTV broadcasting gives you. HDMI is not necessarily required for HDTV.

The USB is supposedly there to connect an external hard disk (as per some people who got the STB installed and inquired from the engineers who came to do it).

I have my eyes stuck on this for some time now. If this HDD part is true, TataSky Bye Bye for me and BigTV welcome.
I noticed the connectors at the back too. I really hope Big's picture quality is better than Tata Sky what with MPEG4, component video jacks and all. The deficiencies of TSky's signal really show up on a HDTV.
If Big is better - Im switching loyalties.
Old 19th August 2008, 20:20   #352
Senior - BHPian

seems the bigtv site is down at this moment. Was googling and found this blogspot. There are some details on the tarrifs. Ofcourse unofficial.
Here you go
Reliance Bluemagic DTH Network

Last edited by mjothi : 19th August 2008 at 20:20. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 20th August 2008, 11:05   #353
Senior - BHPian

Ok, the offers are put up in the site.
For south you have the plan of 1990 or 2190. Both are same plan, except that you get additional 200rs recharge coupon in second option.
Smart South 1990
(Check with IE, since several functions are working only in IE)
Old 20th August 2008, 11:23   #354
rkg
Senior - BHPian

It is cheaper only for south. Is it due to Sun direct effect?

there is difference between 1990 and 2190 packs. in 2190 pack one will get star cricket, ESPN and star sports which are not there in 1990 pack
Old 20th August 2008, 15:58   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I noticed the connectors at the back too. I really hope Big's picture quality is better than Tata Sky what with MPEG4, component video jacks and all. The deficiencies of TSky's signal really show up on a HDTV.
If Big is better - Im switching loyalties.
DishTV is even worse i guess. Overall the quality is good. Discovery T&L looks awesome.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:19   #356
Senior - BHPian

How is using mpeg4 by itself going to give better PQ ? The compression is better and providers can send more channels in given bandwidth. What part of MPEG4 is being used and what is the bitrate ?
Old 20th August 2008, 16:41   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
DishTV is even worse i guess. Overall the quality is good. Discovery T&L looks awesome.
The one thing that is deinitely worse in DishtV compared with TSky is their menu. TSky's interface is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How is using mpeg4 by itself going to give better PQ ? The compression is better and providers can send more channels in given bandwidth. What part of MPEG4 is being used and what is the bitrate ?
Just using MPEG4 will not improve picture quality. As you said reliance could use the better compresion to just jam in more channels in the same bandwidth. Which is why I said `I hope' the PQ is better. All the requisites are there - the better compression and connectors. It remains to be seen how much of a difference there really is. Afterall, it's not like MPEG2 can't do the job. Certain broadcasters abroad send HD signals in MPEG2.
I don't expect TSky to sit still and maybe Bharti will have something better - it makes sense to wait and watch.
Old 20th August 2008, 16:47   #358
BHPian

I have been using DISHTV since 2005 and very happy about the quality of the picture and the service.
Old 20th August 2008, 17:06   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
I have been using DISHTV since 2005 and very happy about the quality of the picture and the service.
Hmm me from 2004, what can I say, they are all devils here, guess comparing among devils doesn't make anyone angel.

~LT
Old 21st August 2008, 14:39   #360
Senior - BHPian

Would be good if somebody can post their experience of Big TV's service. I called them to check about installation - gawd is there call center awful. Kept putting me on hold for basic info.
Then I called TSky to ask what they are doing in response to BigTV's launch and supposedly better signal quality and better selection of movies. They said they'll do something soon but they have no information to give at the moment. Wait and watch is the best policy for a few months, I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks