Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:25   #256
BHPian

Santosh/Rangaraj,

With the variety of connectivity options available on BSNL's STB, can it be connected directly to a LCD Monitor (not TV)? Say for example, to Samsung SyncMaster 740N?

Samsung SyncMaster 740N - flat panel display - TFT - 17" Reviews. LCD Monitors Reviews by CNET.
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:56   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Santosh/Rangaraj,

With the variety of connectivity options available on BSNL's STB, can it be connected directly to a LCD Monitor (not TV)? Say for example, to Samsung SyncMaster 740N?
If the output of the STB and the input of a monitor match, no problem..Usual output options are composite or component or S-Video. Depending on the box you get, you need to see which monitor supports that..
Old 24th August 2007, 09:08   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Santosh/Rangaraj,

Samsung SyncMaster 740N - flat panel display - TFT - 17" Reviews. LCD Monitors Reviews by CNET.
I am not sure whether they will have all types of cables. As far as I know, composite+svideo will be supplied as default, component cable may be available optionally but don't know about RGB and SCART (even though STB supports all these). Also, guess all these video connections are analog, no digital video is possible.
The problem with standards is, as they say, "there are too many to choose from"

Last edited by santosh.s : 24th August 2007 at 09:09.
Old 6th October 2007, 23:55   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
BTW, I have already booked a connection for myself in order to try it out. It will cost me roughly the same (Rs. 250/- including STB rental + tax) as present cable. I can discontinue at any time and the only stake will be installation charge which is about 900/- rupees!
Hi Sanotsh, have you got your connection up & running. Please share your experience on IPTV....
Old 5th November 2007, 17:41   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

guys.. my tata sky always shows one stupid "yellow envelop" to show that i have alerts. it irritates me. it is almost like a banner ad. sometimes i open the alerts and delete them.. some alerts can't be deleted which means i have to be stuck with the lousy yellow envelop on the screen all the time.. like their recent campaign about buying NEO sports package. this is also the reason i still have the good old 'cable' for the other tv.

sorry for the rant.. couldn't help it.. it is like this SMS junk i keep getting from my cell phone provider which i just couldn't stop.. even after talking to the call centers that constantly repeat "sorry, but is there anything ELSE that i can assist you with...."

and of course the master of the game.. times of india.. which i promptly stopped.. and now i am getting a newspaper that very few people buy so has very few ads and does not conduct too many self-serving prize/award campaigns. just perfect for me. in fact, i have decided to buy the lowest selling newspaper all my life after getting sick of the great TOI sticking lousy ads in my face every morning. it is not that i am missing the pearls of their journalism!

i am actually thinking i will get the DD free to air dish! I'm a 19th-century man trapped in a 21st-century!

Last edited by androdev : 5th November 2007 at 17:42.
Old 5th November 2007, 17:51   #261
Senior - BHPian

Iv been hearing about Reliance's Bluemagic DTH service which should be here very shorty. Apparentyl some areas of Mumbai are already using it on a trial basis. Reliance is also comming up with IPTV. I believe Bharti is also coming up with their DTH services.

The customer only stands to gain from the increased competition.
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:46   #262
Senior - BHPian

Anyone having the VGA STB from DishTV? There's no technical information on the site. However he claims that you can connect the STB directly to a LCD monitor or Computer.

I am assuming that the STB has a VGA out. It would be too much to assume they have DVI.

This would be a neat option as I could connect DishTV directly to my LCD monitor.
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:59   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
mite, u ppl in chennai are damn lucky to have the SetTopBox facility! even in the worst tvs u get such great clear pictures! i am in hyderabad, and have recently purchased a plasma n hometheater, and the cable quality sucks big time! :( i even tried to arrange for a settopbox from chennai to use with my set, but it wont as it has to connect with SCV provider only.

Dish TV is available in Hyd, but they giving only ZEE channels mostly, and not SONY and STAR. and nowadays the best entertainment is on the STAR One! (luv the sarabhai and khichdi and laughter champions!). I heard that STAR and SONY are also going to lauch their DISH TV sets very soon.

Hi ID

Being in Hyderabad, you dont have a set top box? Which part of Hyderabad are you located? Opt for Tata Sky, they will install a dish at your place and give you a set top box. You can have all the 125+ channels that you need. Contact the Tata Sky @ 040 6600 6633
Old 9th January 2008, 21:09   #264
BHPian

Got the Tata sky installed at home few days back for 3800rs with 6 month pack free.
Picture quality is quite good and the guy who installed seemed quite good at what he was doing.He came at around 10pm and did the installation in about 60-70min,alone.

@csentil....STB is by thompson and it has composite out(3 RCA plugs with yellow for video and red&white for audio).
Old 11th January 2008, 12:01   #265
Senior - BHPian

Tata Sky is decent. They keep coming up with schemes from time to time. So if you are not in a hurry, wait for a good scheme.
My friend bought one recently and got 6 months subscription (Rs 1800) free.

When I purchased, I paid Rs 4K for STB and 1K for installation (which includes all the wiring, dish satellite installed on your roof and all done very professionally). I purchased using my credit card and they had some referral program going on that time, so I got 2 months free subscription.

Monthly packages are available in a good range. An all-inclusive package would cost you 300 Rs per month.
The picture and sound quality are fantastic and there is 0% downtime.
Old 25th January 2008, 13:21   #266
BHPian

Hello Guys?
Any updates about the launch of DTH dervices by Bharti and Reliance, specifically in NCR, when are they planning to launch?

I had almost finalised Tata Sky but they asked for double installation amount for 2 TVs which was beyond logic to me. Hence continuing with my cablewallah and awaiting Reliance and Bharti's launch.
Old 25th January 2008, 13:46   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktags View Post
I had almost finalised Tata Sky but they asked for double installation amount for 2 TVs which was beyond logic to me.
Why is that beyond your logic? Don't you need two receivers for two TVs? If you want to manage with one receiver, then you have to watch the same program on both TVs, which nobody would like. Only the antenna can be common.
Old 25th January 2008, 13:54   #268
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktags View Post
Hello Guys?
Any updates about the launch of DTH dervices by Bharti and Reliance, specifically in NCR, when are they planning to launch?

I had almost finalised Tata Sky but they asked for double installation amount for 2 TVs which was beyond logic to me. Hence continuing with my cablewallah and awaiting Reliance and Bharti's launch.
i think he is referring to installation charges not the STB's part.
Old 25th January 2008, 14:27   #269
Team-BHP Support

There is no installation charge for Tata Sky, at least not in 2006-07 when I got it. If you buy the kit by paying 4K, they will come and install it for free. I have two receivers at home. For the second one, it was a little cheaper since it didn't need another antenna. From the antenna onwards, it is a completely different line, so it is equal to two installations.
Old 25th January 2008, 14:39   #270
BHPian

Yes, Samurai I am referring to double installtion charges, they were asking for installation and hardware charges for both the TVs. This made the total cost of installation for 2 TVs 8k, no discounts. The only thing free was 6 month subscription for 1st TV which is their normal offer also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks