Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:10   #1846
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Read in today's TOI that BBC plans to pull out BBC Entertainment and Cbeebies from India or sub-continent; not sure. Not viable to them apparently. Kid's are at a loss.
Old 9th November 2012, 21:56   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Team,

Looks like its time to move out of TATA SKY HD. It is expensive now.

Grandsports + HD comes to Rs 510 per month

Videocon D2H Plantinum HD with many more channels is at Rs 461 per month.

Please advise !!
Old 9th November 2012, 23:18   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150
Team,

Looks like its time to move out of TATA SKY HD. It is expensive now.

Grandsports + HD comes to Rs 510 per month

Videocon D2H Plantinum HD with many more channels is at Rs 461 per month.

Please advise !!
Yes your right I just went through videocon D2H HD service and I find them to be pretty cheap when compared to Tatasky or even Airtel for that matter.

I am using the Airtel HD services for the last 1.5yrs and paying about 360/month for all HD channels and in the regular except for the english channels and Zee network channels I get everything else. Of course I get the English channels on my HD so find that a little cost saving in the bargain!

Now After going through the Videocon service they have a south gold HD pack which offers all HD channels plus in regular channels you get all the channels which includes even Zee network for about 299/Month!

But now the problem is getting used to the user interface and remembering channel numbers will be an issue.
Old 10th November 2012, 00:34   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Price difference is pretty obvious.I was looking for the feedback about picture quality and audio quality.
Any folks using Videocon D2H HD ?
Old 10th November 2012, 01:53   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Price difference is pretty obvious.I was looking for the feedback about picture quality and audio quality.
Any folks using Videocon D2H HD ?
It's good. I have been using their services for a little under 2 years now, I bought the Videocon TV for my parents, this is with a built in SD STB. Excellent, the SD feed is good, maybe because they have tweaked the TV.

Last month installed HD STB at my house, HD is good, and comparable to TataSky, just the user interface is poor, but not a deal breaker. At the price of 462/- for almost all the channels and all the HD channels, its the best deal in the market as of now.
Old 18th November 2012, 11:01   #1851
BHPian

Bought Airtel HD (with 2 months subscription free) yesterday morning through online. They came and installed it by yesterday AN itself (good). But the channels are not activated (error 6). I called 4 times the CC (12150) from yesterday evening but they said it will be activated in next 45 mins all the times. They also told me to call 12149 but the response is pathetic or they cut the call in middle.

Finally I wrote a mail today to digitaltv@in.airtel.com and waiting for response.

Last edited by vijayk : 18th November 2012 at 11:03.
Old 18th November 2012, 16:12   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
Bought Airtel HD (with 2 months subscription free) yesterday morning through online. They came and installed it by yesterday AN itself (good). But the channels are not activated (error 6). I called 4 times the CC (12150) from yesterday evening but they said it will be activated in next 45 mins all the times. They also told me to call 12149 but the response is pathetic or they cut the call in middle.

Finally I wrote a mail today to digitaltv@in.airtel.com and waiting for response.
It usually takes 24hrs, your box will get activated once your customer id is up, check by registering on their website and if its activated, you will be able to register.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:39   #1853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Looks like its time to move out of TATA SKY HD. It is expensive now
I have been on TS since 6 to 7 years now. Yes they have become expensive over a period of time. Even if I have to move away from them now the investments I have made over these years on the set top boxes is quite high. Currently since 2 years now I am on the TS HD+. I am also in a dilemma what next. I shell out Rs. 6500 yearly for the mega package which comes to Rs. 540 pm and 160 for the secondary connection ! totaling to Rs. 700 !!PM

TS must do something on its price front given that there are lot of other players and very competitive too.
Old 19th November 2012, 10:46   #1854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I have been on TS since 6 to 7 years now. Yes they have become expensive over a period of time. Even if I have to move away from them now the investments I have made over these years on the set top boxes is quite high. Currently since 2 years now I am on the TS HD+. I am also in a dilemma what next. I shell out Rs. 6500 yearly for the mega package which comes to Rs. 540 pm and 160 for the secondary connection ! totaling to Rs. 700 !!PM

TS must do something on its price front given that there are lot of other players and very competitive too.
There was a talk of Rs. 5 per channel on DTH platform. Is there any progress on that? DTH and now other digital subscribers in metros are subsidizing analog subscribers (rather their fraudulent providers). This is very bad, as in case of any cross-subsidization.

TS has its own idiosyncrasies; they want subscribers to have subscription to SD channels to view HD, how absurd!
Old 19th November 2012, 10:49   #1855
BHPian

Videocon and Airtel actively market their services, with the former being the most aggressive in terms of rates and appears on the front page almost once a week. Tata Sky on the other hand, despite losing market share, isn't putting up a fight and appears to be happy with the gains it made from being a first mover. Tata Sky's customer service is quite good but not worth paying 30/40% more than others service providers.

I'm quite happy with Airtel. ~ Rs. 6,300 for all channels. Single remote + 3/4 firmware updates in the last 16 months + user friendly account management via their web site. Issues, if any, have been immediately attended to by their customer care team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post
They also mentioned that whenever they add new channels, those will automatically be available for Magnum pack customers. As you said, we can verify this only when they launch a new channel. I have subscribed to Magnum HD 3 month pack for Rs.1684.
Airtel is trying out Sony Six and Trace Sports. 233 and 234 I think. It'll mean that you have access to new channels if you can view them.
Old 19th November 2012, 13:19   #1856
Senior - BHPian

Airtel is completely out of my equation now knowing what kind of service they are offering.

That leaves me with TS and Videocon. I am tilted towards videocon after the last few discussion on this thread.

What i want to compare is the lowest price with base pack and HD alone. Videocon service is good in chennai atleast. My Inlaws installed videocon and the package and service are very good. They didnt opt for HDR while i may pick a HDR package.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:56   #1857
Distinguished - BHPian

I renewed my TS subscription on 17th Nov for SD and multi TV connection,did not do anything for HD as it was valid till Feb 2013.Some stupid bloke disconnected my HD subscription on his own and since,then I was trying to get across my problem to their so called customer care team,and they were not doing anything.Finally after umpteen number of calls and shouting, they have restarted the HD connection and accepted their mistake.They are also crediting Rs225 to my account.Lets hope they stick to it.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:13   #1858
BHPian

I got Videocon d2h installed yesterday and to my surprise did not find regional DD channels. I was thinking they were mandatory.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:23   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
I got Videocon d2h installed yesterday and to my surprise did not find regional DD channels. I was thinking they were mandatory.
They are I think. Airtel has them under the 'Free to Air' in the channels menu in a picture in picture design. I'm sure Videocon has it under some similar sounding name in their menus.
Old 20th November 2012, 11:39   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I renewed my TS subscription on 17th Nov for SD and multi TV connection,did not do anything for HD as it was valid till Feb 2013.Some stupid bloke disconnected my HD subscription on his own and since,then I was trying to get across my problem to their so called customer care team,and they were not doing anything.Finally after umpteen number of calls and shouting, they have restarted the HD connection and accepted their mistake.They are also crediting Rs225 to my account.Lets hope they stick to it.
Don't ever waste your time talking over phone, you will always speak to executives who talk like parrots. Tweet them (or FB), they will respond. It applies to all service organizations, DTH, telcos, banks, etc.

Most Viewed