Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:21   #601
Senior - BHPian

Can one buy a STB with an HDMI output - or any other feature one might desire - from anywhere and use it with TataSky/Airtel etc? Isnt the license/code on the smart card that one inserts into these things?
Old 24th October 2008, 00:09   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
The Sun Direct does not have the ESPN and Star Sports and also the Neo Cricket and Neo Sports package even as an add-on.
I was surprised that BigTV has StarSports, ESPN, Ten Sports, DD Sports, Star Cricket, Neo Sports, Neo Sports+ - only Zee Sports isn't available.
Old 24th October 2008, 01:51   #603
Senior - BHPian

How are people on DishTV watching the current cricket series?? Neo is not available.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:34   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Since in the UK Sky uses Thomson PVRs, a search on the Thomson web site led me to this -
DSR340
It looks very similar to the TSky PVR. If its the same then we'll get an S-video out but its standard definition only.
Sky + boxes (PVR) are sd but in the UK Sky do Sky HD which is a PVR which can do HD output. However a few weeks ago I was speaking to a Sky installer and he said the HD boxes were very unreliable.
Old 24th October 2008, 14:38   #605
Team-BHP Support

So I have a dish and a set top box installed. It works quite well.
But is there more to it.
Am I to only watch what my provider allows me in.

I am sure there are a couple of free sat tv channels beamed over India.
How do I grab them?
Old 24th October 2008, 14:46   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Can one buy a STB with an HDMI output - or any other feature one might desire - from anywhere and use it with TataSky/Airtel etc? Isnt the license/code on the smart card that one inserts into these things?
Actually, I had the same query too. I was wondering if the licence/plan/tarriff is just in the smart card and any STB can be used. Just like the cell-phones-Sim card coupling (GSM).

Prajwal
Old 24th October 2008, 20:56   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Actually, I had the same query too. I was wondering if the licence/plan/tarriff is just in the smart card and any STB can be used. Just like the cell-phones-Sim card coupling (GSM).

Prajwal
Sky are very protective over their encryption systems so you will not be able to buy any old STB and stick a card in. You will need a CAM that is designed for their encryption system and knowing them from what they did in the UK you cannot buy the required CAM from SKY. Sky use NDS encrytpion which is quite secure. You might be able to get 3rd party cams which can do NDS.

If they have implemented a system similar to the UK one then the card needs to be paired with the STB as they send over the air encryption updates etc designed to stop cloned cards etc from working.

Last edited by bigman : 24th October 2008 at 21:07.
Old 25th October 2008, 14:28   #608
BHPian

Airtel DTF - Experience till now

Guys,
I got Airtel DTH installed couple of days ago. Experience till now can be described as "Excellent". There is not HDMI or component connectors on the STB but still the video and audio quality is alteast 80% better than my cable guy!

- Most impressive was installation
- After purchase, just had to call up callcenter and take an appointment for installation
- Engineers came 30 mins before the appointment! Believe me I didnt have to call any body again atall!
- The engineer interaction was most carteous and helpful
- The equipment he had for drilling holes and setting correct angle was not even availabel with the Panasonic engineers who came to wall mount my Plasma!
- Looks like they have 90 Mins time to setup and wrap up. They did finish every thing and were out by 90 Mins.
- Even though Airtel started selling and installing dishes for just a week now, the engineer told me they were recruited 6 months ago and were trained for all 6 months on various aspects of customer service and interaction
- After the setup he gave a detailed and patient demo which not even the panasonic guys did for my plasma.

Over all very satisfied with the installation, quality of service and reception till now.

After this one stock which I think of buying is Bharti! Best support for mobile seems to have got extended to DTH.
Old 25th October 2008, 15:21   #609
BHPian

• 80% better than cable guy doesn't mean its better than other STBs . Only means your cable operator was bad
  • Setting up of the correct angle means twisting the dish around to check for the strongest signal. This is best done manually and tightened at the optimum point.Every installment cannot have the same dish angle.Wonder what equipment is needed that can better this procedure apart from a spanner on bolt and quick hands.The pana guy probably should have a spirit level at the least, else i agree that he was lacking in required equipment.
  • 90mins wrap up only means that they have a deadline on minimum number of installs per day. Doesn't mean that the quality is better than others nor is it a Customer satisfaction oriented procedure.
  • Comparing the Demo of a DTH provider to one who demo's a Plasma tele is again a bit unfair.IMO , it only means that you understood the STB procedure more than the Panasonic.
  • Airtel's customer service is good , no denying that...... in the telephone sector.
All the above reasons only make me think if yours looks like a sales promotion on T-BHP!.If it aint, pardon my french.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 25th October 2008 at 15:25.
Old 25th October 2008, 17:21   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
  • 80% better than cable guy doesn't mean its better than other STBs . Only means your cable operator was bad
  • Setting up of the correct angle means twisting the dish around to check for the strongest signal. This is best done manually and tightened at the optimum point.Every installment cannot have the same dish angle.Wonder what equipment is needed that can better this procedure apart from a spanner on bolt and quick hands.The pana guy probably should have a spirit level at the least, else i agree that he was lacking in required equipment.
  • 90mins wrap up only means that they have a deadline on minimum number of installs per day. Doesn't mean that the quality is better than others nor is it a Customer satisfaction oriented procedure.
  • Comparing the Demo of a DTH provider to one who demo's a Plasma tele is again a bit unfair.IMO , it only means that you understood the STB procedure more than the Panasonic.
  • Airtel's customer service is good , no denying that...... in the telephone sector.
All the above reasons only make me think if yours looks like a sales promotion on T-BHP!.If it aint, pardon my french.
Looks like either you are from BigTV / TataSky

What do you mean every installment cannot have the same dish angle ?
All dishes from a service provider should point in the direction of the satellite , and will not vary.

And if you think you can install with just a spanner and bolt then you are still living in the past.

A professional job includes running the cable through the right ducts, drilling through the wall, Sealing the circumference of hole with a white silicon sealant after passing the cable. Using proper plugs to hold the cable inside the house if it has to run through a wall. You cannot do all of this with just a spanner and a bolt.

Regarding the demo, A DTH has a lot of settings and features, its important to get a demo. Like setting favorites, viewing other channel future schedules, setting reminders, re-charging the account, pay per view setups , PIP features etc..

Most LCD/ Plasma installers who come dont know a crap about setting up the product.

Disclaimer: Neither do I have a Panasonic nor Airtel DTH, But I too had the same experience with Samsung & Tatasky.
The Tatatat Sky installation person was much more professional that the Samsung LCD installtion person.
Old 25th October 2008, 18:12   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Looks like either you are from BigTV / TataSky

HAR HAR Har har... good one!!

As of now looks like the Sun Direct bouquet of channels suit me the most. My neighbour is the distributor - time for a chat me thinks!
Old 25th October 2008, 19:12   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
I dont own Bharti stocks yet to promote Airtel DTH

But I think I should clarify on the below:

- I have not compared Airtel with other DTH because I dont have first hand experience with any other DTH. Sorry I cannt say whether other STBs match it or not.
- Regarding setup, if you own a house and the guy who comes for installation turns up and drills 12 (3*4) holes and to choose 8 best, then you know how people can be unprofessional even it is just drilling holes. Even the kind of Bolt used does matter.
- I think giving a patient demo is not same as just bringing it up and getting out. What is wrong in working against a 90 min deadline satisfactory? If a customer can be certain of when the engineer is coming and leaving your premeiss, I can certainly think it of as being professional and efficient.
- I have heard about BIG TV customers fighting with Customer care to get installation done in the first place. Based on my experience with Airtel DTH customer care, I didnt find any problem.

Did you have had bad experience with Airtel DTH or other service? Please share it so that we understand your dislike.
Old 25th October 2008, 20:22   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Guys,
- The equipment he had for drilling holes and setting correct angle was not even availabel with the Panasonic engineers who came to wall mount my Plasma!
So he had a drill ?

How did the Panny engineers mount your wall fixture then ?

As for aligning the dish etc, I agree with absynthguzzler. Its hardly rocket science. I have aligned my dish to various sats with just a spanner. You can get signal meters but you don't really need them. It might take you 10 minutes more but it is not too hard to do yourself.

How good was his wire routing ? Is it hidden or has he done a bodge job ? Doing a proper job usually means more cable so your average joey will skimp on cable and make a good mess of your decor by having wires clipped to the wall at a height of 6ft which looks awful if your ceiling is at 8ft.

Last edited by bigman : 25th October 2008 at 20:24.
Old 26th October 2008, 21:47   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One advantage of Airtel is that it is offering WorldSpace channels even for the basic package.
But they offer only 10 channels of worldspace, and surprisingly the most popular hindi / english / news channels are missed out. Not of much use! Also it is the most pricey one.
Old 26th October 2008, 21:59   #615
BHPian

What do you mean every installment cannot have the same dish angle ?
All dishes from a service provider should point in the direction of the satellite , and will not vary.

Its a different angle when your in a high rise building or when your in a house.Also depends on which side your mounting surface faces-north south east west , they end up facing the satellite position,hence the difference in angles!!!

And if you think you can install with just a spanner and bolt then you are still living in the past.

professional job includes running the cable through the right ducts, drilling through the wall, Sealing the circumference of hole with a white silicon sealant after passing the cable. Using proper plugs to hold the cable inside the house if it has to run through a wall. You cannot do all of this with just a spanner and a bolt.

Errm,you forgot customers with internal wiring options for ones who wouldn't like plastiky pipes running along their beautiful Asian Paint walls!

Regarding the demo, A DTH has a lot of settings and features, its important to get a demo. Like setting favorites, viewing other channel future schedules, setting reminders, re-charging the account, pay per view setups , PIP features etc..

and these are all straight forward functions on most STB remotes with separate keys for each. The only thing not directly accessible is the LNB settings and that's cause they should not be changed! Heck , you even get buttons with different colors for eachfunction, lol .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks