Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2008, 10:10   #691
BHPian

I am sorry if others feel, I am OT. Mods, please feel free to delete this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Further to above post,xtal in tuner has nothing to do with PAL,Secam,NTSC it is the chroma section which does the trick.
Then Sir, please enlighten me, how chromonance frequency decided after VIF section of TV? at least - for the TV bought in US.

As per my knowledge, TV still use crystal oscillator rather than gate based programmable frequency generator. That's why this limitation comes in former. Otherwise we have TV's that covers world color systems uses technology described later one.

Quote:
This is not atall a practical solution,worst thing can happen if your T.V has a LIVE CHASIS connection means input of A.C's neutral directly given to Chasis of the t.v which works as a common -Ve poll for all capacitors,transistors etc...in this case by any chance you touch the chasis of T.V(mother board's large area)you will get an electric shock while t.v is ON which may turn fatal,just pointing out while reading this suggestion posted here.
I know TVs use SMPS derived from mains PS. Still individual compoments can work on lesser voltages (e.g. 5V) wrt there teminals. Interfaces are isolated for these electrical shocks unless you land directly on powered on board.

BTW, IMO my 1st suggestion to "use external TV tuner with RGB/VGA/HDMI output" is practical for novice too. Please do google search on this.

Second suggestion needs hands on and I have done it more than once for myself and others. Thats why I suggested. I just sit down with basics.

Anyway I am ready to accept new knowledge as this is my hobby and not a primary profession. Also after spending 10 years in these, last 5+ years I may be out of sync wrt new technology.
Old 9th November 2008, 14:55   #692
Senior - BHPian

Not as bad as I thought!

5th Nov , 10.30pm -- Placed order with Tata Sky helpline

8th Nov, 12.30 pm -- Set Top Box Delivered at home.

9th Nov , SUNDAY - 10.00am to Noon -- Installed and activated!

All along had TS people calling/sms-ing to keep me updated on progress. Good buying experience so far!!

SD on Panny PV80 is brilliant!!

Last edited by kb100 : 9th November 2008 at 14:56.
Old 9th November 2008, 16:45   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... if your T.V has a LIVE CHASIS connection means input of A.C's neutral directly given to Chasis of the t.v which works as a common -Ve poll for all capacitors,transistors etc. ...
Never ever seen a TV or any other equipment where that has been done. Not even in the stuff made in the bylanes of Lajpatrai Market, Lamington Road or SP Lane!!!

The 'chassis' is either connected to the 'earth' wire (if there is a 3-pin plug attached to the cord) or is isolated. In rare cases, the DC -ive is connected to the chassis to provide shielding to the PCB. Even with SMPS converters, there is an isolation provided between the AC and the DC sections.
Old 9th November 2008, 23:20   #694
ECM
BHPian

hmmmmmmm,do one thing,open any SONY TV,use a tester(screw Driver with a light)and touch it with the main board's body,see what happens.POST the result here.Then I shall tell you what the real meaning of LIVE CHASIS is,I made term simplified here as I did not want to hijack this DTH thread(which happens most of threads here unfortunately in the middle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Never ever seen a TV or any other equipment where that has been done. Not even in the stuff made in the bylanes of Lajpatrai Market, Lamington Road or SP Lane!!!

The 'chassis' is either connected to the 'earth' wire (if there is a 3-pin plug attached to the cord) or is isolated. In rare cases, the DC -ive is connected to the chassis to provide shielding to the PCB. Even with SMPS converters, there is an isolation provided between the AC and the DC sections.
Old 10th November 2008, 02:39   #695
Senior - BHPian

BIG TV CEO Arun Kapoor Quits!

Here we go...again??

Big TV CEO Arun Kapoor quits
Old 10th November 2008, 13:44   #696
BHPian

Quote:
hmmmmmmm,do one thing,open any SONY TV,use a tester(screw Driver with a light)and touch it with the main board's body,see what happens.POST the result here.Then I shall tell you what the real meaning of LIVE CHASIS is,I made term simplified here as I did not want to hijack this DTH thread(which happens most of threads here unfortunately in the middle).
I completely agree with this. I too had a Sony 21 incher and it did indeed have a "Live" chasis! And you need not even open up the cover, just touch any metal part like RCA sockets. And even my old Yamaha stereo amp's body used to go live when connected to this TV.
But my TV had once been to Sony auth. service centre, and it had become alive only after I had got it back after major repairs (costing Rs 2.7K). Prior to that, it never used to give a shock upon touching.
And yes, it had 2-pin mains plug, no earth.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:36   #697
ECM
BHPian

Thanks Anuragn
Just reverse the side of plug socket in mains i.e upside down and see what happens!Few chaps claim about 3 pin socket and Lajpatrai Market, Lamington Road or SP Lane etc.etc..can anyone show me a TV with a 3 pin socket???
Old 11th November 2008, 09:15   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
I completely agree with this. I too had a Sony 21 incher and it did indeed have a "Live" chasis! And you need not even open up the cover, just touch any metal part like RCA sockets. And even my old Yamaha stereo amp's body used to go live when connected to this TV.
But my TV had once been to Sony auth. service centre, and it had become alive only after I had got it back after major repairs (costing Rs 2.7K). Prior to that, it never used to give a shock upon touching.
And yes, it had 2-pin mains plug, no earth.
So this is not a design flaw. Its problematic TV repair work. Otherwise I can touch my TV's RCA grounds and antenna input ground with TV ON. And I have seen some TVs have isolation removed or after repair mechanic forget to put back. That is some caps. Anyway TV companies take care by using +ve half cycle pulse of mains PS, rectified to +ve and using neutral for ground.

If you don't like the suggestion please don't use it.

So we can close this topic and look ahead for TV which is fault free.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:33   #699
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like using car body as grounding.

I am lost, are we going off topic here.
Or can some one explain in simple terms why should any one be bothered
Old 11th November 2008, 20:24   #700
Senior - BHPian

Ok so help me... and ill come straight to the point.

I need to install DTH on four tvs in my house. Should i go in for Tata Sky+ or Airtel?

I dont care about petty channels but i would like to have as many movie channels as possible.
Old 11th November 2008, 21:58   #701
Senior - BHPian

^why not consider BIG ? .Sky also will be a good choice.especially when they shift to mpeg4.
Old 14th November 2008, 14:50   #702
Senior - BHPian

BIG would get too expensive for multiple TVs. It's fine for a single TV install.
Old 14th November 2008, 17:56   #703
Senior - BHPian

Oops! guys ,these days there are lot of complaints against BIG dth(read bbforum.in) .
Now what is this "tata sky plus?" thingy?
Old 14th November 2008, 18:09   #704
BHPian

Tata Sky plus is nothing but Recorder, you can record your program and watch as per your convinence. And pause live TV etc etc, look at DTH ? Tata Sky DTH in India, Leading Satellite Television Provider in India, DTH services by Tata Sky, Direct-to-home, India
Old 14th November 2008, 18:15   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Oops! guys ,these days there are lot of complaints against BIG dth(read bbforum.in) .
Now what is this "tata sky plus?" thingy?
Dude are you sure the site name is correct? bbforum.in is taking me someplace that has nothing to do with DTH, but plenty to do with BIG things.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks