Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 14:46   #676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
i have a query. i have a friend who just picked up a tv from the states. that was without checking what tv systems are supported. this lcd only has ntsc format. he picked up an airtel dth. but we see everything in black and white. we are at our wits end as to what to do. today we will find out if it is possible to upscale the video and still use it. samsung the manufacturer says that the entire driver onwards the tv needs to be changed. any ideas or is this a waste to us now. it works fine when connected to a PC in HDMI MODE via a DVI to HDMI converter.
This is not a waste, wait..

I recently faced this problem in reverse way. Requirement was to support NTSC in place of PAL. I somehow managed to change the crystal of video section from 4.43 MHz to 3.57 MHz.

Please find out if that TV has other inputs as well. e.g. Video input, RGB input or VGA input. Give more detail on model / make of TV.

1. In that case buy a extenal TV tuner separately and use VGA, RGB output to TV. Otherwise crystal in that TV tuner box can be tampered to change crystal to NTSC color freq.
2. Open TV and look for the crystal of 3.57 MHz and change it to 4.43 MHz. Anyway this crystal has to deal with colour info only. [DISCLAIMER: this option - do at your own risk.]
Old 4th November 2008, 15:27   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
After comparing everything in the market, I have decided to go with Tata Sky. I find their customer satisfaction levels to be the highest - and I just don't trust Reliance and hate Airtel (from personal experience).

I plan to go for their free installation offer along with their MEGA PACK @5k. This gives me all channels - present and future- for a year! With their migration to Mpeg4 on the anvil, a lot more channels are likely to get added !! (and will be free for the Mega Pack users)

Total cost 6.5k.

Will slap the PVR onto this whenever its launched here in Cbe. (they are giving a 5k discount on the PVR price for all those who are on the Mega Pack - so pretty much will pay for itself)

Any users of the PVR and/or the Mega Pack here? Any feedback?
Old 4th November 2008, 15:29   #678
Team-BHP Support

You might find some feedback here

India Broadband Forum
Old 6th November 2008, 12:33   #679
Senior - BHPian

Deed is DONE!

I decided that I personally attach a premium for 'experience' - therefore customer service is a very important part of the entire experience. Here after reading and speaking to a lot of people, I found the uniform opinion was that Tata Sky had the best customer service amongst all the DTH players in the country (.. just the opposite of Tata Indicom !!)

So its Done! I just booked the 3999/- Festive Offer package with Tata Sky. Apart from set top box and installation one gets the South Jumbo Pack for a year. They are also giving the Lifestyle Gold and the Education Gold add-ons free for 4 months for booking through their call centre and paying by credit card.

Anyone with a Tata Sky 'Friends and Family' coupon let me know - if I use this that person gets a credit of Rs.300/-, while I get an extra month of my base plan. I already have one - but I'd rather a Tbhpian benefits as well

Last edited by kb100 : 6th November 2008 at 12:35.
Old 6th November 2008, 21:00   #680
Senior - BHPian

Guess reliance started there "tactics"

Today I noticed that the POGO channel was locked and asked for subscription. So, I thought of checking with their sites. Seems like they have removed it from the list of channels in south starter pack (both 1990 & 2190).

Anyone facing this?

Btw, I am 1990 scheme for the past 1 month.
Old 6th November 2008, 21:04   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Guess reliance started there "tactics"

Today I noticed that the POGO channel was locked and asked for subscription. So, I thought of checking with their sites. Seems like they have removed it from the list of channels in south starter pack (both 1990 & 2190).

Anyone facing this?

Btw, I am 1990 scheme for the past 1 month.

Cartoon Network and Pogo are not there in the South Packs right from day 1. But, all these will be coming for a month(aaprox) and then will disappear. Even I guess HBO, Zee Studio, Neo Cricket also might have disappeared from your package. All these are not part of the package from the start.
Old 7th November 2008, 03:28   #682
Senior - BHPian

seems Sun direct is slowly catching up.they added most of the channels in recent days.packages plan will appear in next week may be.
Old 7th November 2008, 18:51   #683
Senior - BHPian

Guys with BIG TV, did anyone watched the Thenali movie going on in cinema? I see the watermark of Raj TV in it. Is it ok? Is he not suppose to get original DVDs or CDs and telecast, rather than putting the recorded movies from other channels!!!
Old 7th November 2008, 19:06   #684
BHPian

May be he would have bought DVDs from Raj TV like Ayngaran, Pyramid.
Old 7th November 2008, 19:13   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I decided that I personally attach a premium for 'experience' - therefore customer service is a very important part of the entire experience. Here after reading and speaking to a lot of people, I found the uniform opinion was that Tata Sky had the best customer service amongst all the DTH players in the country (.. just the opposite of Tata Indicom !!)

So its Done! I just booked the 3999/- Festive Offer package with Tata Sky. Apart from set top box and installation one gets the South Jumbo Pack for a year. They are also giving the Lifestyle Gold and the Education Gold add-ons free for 4 months for booking through their call centre and paying by credit card.

Anyone with a Tata Sky 'Friends and Family' coupon let me know - if I use this that person gets a credit of Rs.300/-, while I get an extra month of my base plan. I already have one - but I'd rather a Tbhpian benefits as well
i have the friends and family coupon , send me your email id in PM if you want to use it
Old 7th November 2008, 19:53   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
May be he would have bought DVDs from Raj TV like Ayngaran, Pyramid.
Is it like that? I dont think there is a water mark like this on DVDs sold. Correct me if wrong.

Btw. the other movie ABCD is also having similar mark
Old 7th November 2008, 20:00   #687
Team-BHP Support

Guys, you can't buy a retail DVD and use it for broadcasting. That's illegal, big time.
Old 7th November 2008, 20:12   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Any users of the PVR and/or the Mega Pack here? Any feedback?
Got the PVR installed yesterday. The recording, rewind feature that it offers is really cool. Will post more feedback this week. For some reason, the picture quality has increased with the new PVR set top box compared to the old regular Tatasky set top box.

--Wind
Old 7th November 2008, 21:27   #689
ECM
BHPian

This is not atall a practical solution,worst thing can happen if your T.V has a LIVE CHASIS connection means input of A.C's neutral directly given to Chasis of the t.v which works as a common -Ve poll for all capacitors,transistors etc...in this case by any chance you touch the chasis of T.V(mother board's large area)you will get an electric shock while t.v is ON which may turn fatal,just pointing out while reading this suggestion posted here.
Quote:
This is not a waste, wait..

I recently faced this problem in reverse way. Requirement was to support NTSC in place of PAL. I somehow managed to change the crystal of video section from 4.43 MHz to 3.57 MHz.

Please find out if that TV has other inputs as well. e.g. Video input, RGB input or VGA input. Give more detail on model / make of TV.

1. In that case buy a extenal TV tuner separately and use VGA, RGB output to TV. Otherwise crystal in that TV tuner box can be tampered to change crystal to NTSC color freq.
2. Open TV and look for the crystal of 3.57 MHz and change it to 4.43 MHz. Anyway this crystal has to deal with colour info only. [DISCLAIMER: this option - do at your own risk.]
Old 7th November 2008, 21:30   #690
ECM
BHPian

Further to above post,xtal in tuner has nothing to do with PAL,Secam,NTSC it is the chroma section which does the trick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks