Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 18:18   #706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Ok so help me... and ill come straight to the point.

I need to install DTH on four tvs in my house. Should i go in for Tata Sky+ or Airtel?

I dont care about petty channels but i would like to have as many movie channels as possible.
If you are gifting yourself a DTH connection for your B'Day and need to install it on 4 tvs then go for the following one TS+ on your main TV and 3 multiroom subscriptions for the regular TS.

Don't bother going in for BigTV. Their customer services are in need of an overhaul Big Time.

Airtel is good too but my personal preference is TS anyday.
Old 14th November 2008, 18:21   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Dude are you sure the site name is correct? bbforum.in is taking me someplace that has nothing to do with DTH, but plenty to do with BIG things.
This is the correct site:
Reliance Big TV DTH - India Broadband Forum

--Wind
Old 14th November 2008, 18:46   #708
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have a little silly question.

I am also in the market for a DTH service. But, first i need to know whether the "South" Packages offered by the providers are the only packages available in Bangalore or can i opt for any of the non South packages?
Old 14th November 2008, 19:05   #709
Senior - BHPian

^bhai! why not search for "dreambox" then?
Old 14th November 2008, 19:10   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Guys i have a little silly question.

I am also in the market for a DTH service. But, first i need to know whether the "South" Packages offered by the providers are the only packages available in Bangalore or can i opt for any of the non South packages?

You can opt for any package in any part of the country.
Old 14th November 2008, 19:36   #711
BHPian

Does any DTH operator, if not offering HD channels,offers a set top box with a HDMI port?
Old 14th November 2008, 19:56   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Does any DTH operator, if not offering HD channels,offers a set top box with a HDMI port?
I don't think so. Dish TV may come up with HDMI soon as per some news reports. I am also waiting for the same.
Old 14th November 2008, 20:40   #713
BHPian

DTH services in India are yet to take off. they are still not following the supreme court guidelines about having operator portability. so i suggest you wait for some more time if you can before buying.
i have tata sky at home and the picture quality is fantatic. however it does not work properly when it is raining hard/ sun spots etc. plus they have the habit of introducing new channels and rmoving old ones without notice. if you can live with that go for it.
Old 17th November 2008, 10:07   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
You can opt for any package in any part of the country.
Thanks Sumit.

I finally went with TataSky. Quite professional i must say. And they kept me updated about the status via sms. To be so prompt and accurate over the weekend is a nice experience.

I tried calling DishTV's customer helpline. Firstly, their website lists a Chennai number for all inquiries from South, so it was an STD call for me. Secondly, after 5 minutes also i couldn't get through to a customer representative. That gave me some idea about their customer support.

Anyway, now i am all set with TataSky. Lets see how the experience goes.

Amitoj
Old 19th November 2008, 01:12   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
BIG would get too expensive for multiple TVs. It's fine for a single TV install.
Get a few dreamboxes and share the card to the other boxes. You can then watch what you want on any of the dreambox receivers.

Quote:
however it does not work properly when it is raining hard/ sun spots etc
Get a slightly bigger dish and a 0.1db LNB, It will take a cloud bursting on your dish to stop that combo working properly.
Old 19th November 2008, 09:20   #716
Team-BHP Support

When Big Tv is installed you get all channels by default.
Then after their system gets all the relevant information they enable only the subscribed plan.
The Big TV plan finally got active for my connection and as expected the regional plan was Telugu instead of Tamil.

A call to the customer support fixed this issue.
Took them less than 4 days and only one follow up call.
Old 19th November 2008, 11:49   #717
BHPian

Is it possible to swap the settop boxes between 2 different DTH services. For example can I use the Tatasky setup box with a sundirect Dish. Have anyone tried it out ?
Old 19th November 2008, 12:11   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Is it possible to swap the settop boxes between 2 different DTH services. For example can I use the Tatasky setup box with a sundirect Dish. Have anyone tried it out ?
We are heading towards that regime but we are not there yet. TRAI is all for the STB interoperability but the operators won't listen it seems.

A quick answer for your question would be a big NO
Old 28th November 2008, 16:40   #719
Senior - BHPian

A day back I purchased BIG Tv and today its installed in my home! Previously I used Tatasky which is really good service I would say, Main reason to go for BIG Tv is for more kannada channels. TataSky didn't show interest to add kannada channels like ZEE Kannada, Kasturi TV, Suvarna.

I think in couple of days we will be learning how to use BIG TV remote and number of channels we subscribed would be allocated properly.

My first impression sound and vedio quality in TATAsky is better than BIG Tv. anyway lets see because I can come back to TATAsky anytime because my relative's tatasky is completing 1 year and I can send this big tv to them anytime so i can resume taatsky if needed.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 28th November 2008, 17:06   #720
BHPian

There were recent reports on this thread that TS would be changing the STB of their existing customers,is it true.Because my yearly contract with TS is getting over this December and I am thinking of switching to Hathway unless any DTH operator starts offering STB with HDMI ports and relay HD channels.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks