Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2008, 17:46   #721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
I am thinking of switching to Hathway unless any DTH operator starts offering STB with HDMI ports and relay HD channels.
Does the Hathway STB offer that?

I doubt.

Am using Hathway analogue myself. Will get the STB sometime when I feel like!
Old 28th November 2008, 17:59   #722
BHPian

Glifford, the Hathway STB doesnt even come with component out.Just that its a much better option than any of the DTH operators at present because the STB costs only 500 bucks and monthly I need to shell out just 150 rupees to my cable operator for 4 connections .
Old 28th November 2008, 18:44   #723
BHPian

Bsnl Iptv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
Glifford, the Hathway STB doesnt even come with component out.Just that its a much better option than any of the DTH operators at present because the STB costs only 500 bucks and monthly I need to shell out just 150 rupees to my cable operator for 4 connections .
Very true. That's why my Dad insisted on taking a Hathway when I moved into my new apartment. Even though he uses 2 Tata Sky connections at his place. He is now finding it very expensive in comparison.

I was also looking at BSNL IPTV. 6 months since I requested for a connection there is no news from them! So with Hathway analogue for now.

BTW, I always have this opinion that the bandwidth capabilities of a copper wire pair (cable in Hathway or Telephone in IPTV) is always more than what can be beamed over a satellite. So technically the image quality would be better or more channels can be crammed/fed with lower compression! What do you think?

Plus with Hathway you can always switch between analogue and digital or use analogue in additional rooms and use digital for the main TV.
Old 28th November 2008, 19:26   #724
BHPian

Yes Glifford,your opinions regarding hathway is right.IPTV would take some time.Regarding quality over hathway it all depends on your cable connectivity ,the fewer parallel connections from the same line the better,for better quality try adding a signal booster.
Old 1st December 2008, 13:07   #725
Senior - BHPian

So I finally got the Jhingalala Plus+
Went to the Tataskyplus site on saturday, paid the entire amount Rs9999.
Called the cust care, they said they would be delivering the box and the installer would contact me on the same day.
Didnt happen.
Called them again on Sunday,
4pm: The box is delivered to my place.
4:30 pm: The installer comes over and by 5:30 I am all set.
The box is installed, I opted for the Supersaver(260pm) + Lifestyle gold pack(450/annum)
The installer called the the support guys after installation, gave him Rs 2500 for Supersaver for 390 days + 1 month referral so total of 420 days.
Lifestyle gold is free for 4 months.
All in all I am loving it. The DVR is awesome, recorded a movie played it back.
All in all a great experience. Just waiting for my PV80D today and once it is installed I am all set.
The pic quality is incredible.
Yeah baby, Jhingalala+
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:11   #726
BHPian

So Sammyboy, now that you have the Tata Sky Plus and your Panny PV80 plasma, how does the Jingalala+ look on the plasma ???

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:58   #727
Senior - BHPian

Hi Venkat,

It looks awesome. Tatasky plus has a component video plugin which, when connected to the PV80 looks very good. Thanks
Old 3rd December 2008, 13:59   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hi Venkat,
It looks awesome. Tatasky plus has a component video plugin which, when connected to the PV80 looks very good. Thanks
Hi Sammyboy,

Congrats on your new Panny & Tata sky+

Whenever free, could you please connect it via the Composite video cable also and let us know if

- No significant diff in image quality between the Component and Composite.
Or
- There is a major difference ?

Thanks
Fillmore
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:21   #729
Senior - BHPian

Fillmore, that is a tricky one for me as I am not too aware of the composite and component technologies. But, from my few hours of experience, I feel that component gives a slightly richer colour to the pics as compared to the composite.
I swapped between the two a couple of times and both times my wife and I both felt that the pic looked richer and slightly clearer in component.

Gimme a few days and I should be able to get a better feel. I am new to both the Plasma and the Tata sky plus so just getting myself aquainted with the two
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:50   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Fillmore, that is a tricky one for me as I am not too aware of the composite and component technologies. But, from my few hours of experience, I feel that component gives a slightly richer colour to the pics as compared to the composite.
I swapped between the two a couple of times and both times my wife and I both felt that the pic looked richer and slightly clearer in component.

Gimme a few days and I should be able to get a better feel. I am new to both the Plasma and the Tata sky plus so just getting myself aquainted with the two
Thanks dude.. No hurry take your time.

Reason I asked is, If the source is of high quality definitely video via Component will be much better than through Composite.
However if the source is not that high in quality, then it will not make a difference.

I have regular Tata sky, and the difference is that Tata sky is in mpeg-2 while '+' is in mpeg-4. So wanted to know if the picture quality also has increased.
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:56   #731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I have regular Tata sky, and the difference is that Tata sky is in mpeg-2 while '+' is in mpeg-4. So wanted to know if the picture quality also has increased.
True, thats why i decided for the "+" . Unfortunately cant compare as I never used the regular Tata sky. I am sure the guys who have upgraded will be able to shed more light on this.
Guys who have upgraded from Tatasky to Tatasky + please comment.
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:02   #732
BHPian

Quote:
True, thats why i decided for the "+" . Unfortunately cant compare as I never used the regular Tata sky. I am sure the guys who have upgraded will be able to shed more light on this.
Guys who have upgraded from Tatasky to Tatasky + please comment.
MPEG 2 or 4 is basically to reduce the size of the video file rather than the picture clarity. Even if it provides more picture quality it would be negligible. Picture clarity will increase only if we move to HDMI and increase the video pixel size.

I have Tata sky and planning to go for additional subscription. Have anyone used multiroom subscription and how much does it cost ?
Old 3rd December 2008, 15:24   #733
BHPian

Digilink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
MPEG 2 or 4 is basically to reduce the size of the video file rather than the picture clarity. Even if it provides more picture quality it would be negligible.
But wouldn't that also mean, that for the same data packet size, far better picture quality can be beamed with MPEG4?

Quote:
I have Tata sky and planning to go for additional subscription. Have anyone used multiroom subscription and how much does it cost ?
My dad does. He says it costs Rs. 125 pm additional for another STB with individual controls.

But on reading the site, I remember Tata Sky also has an option of wiring two TVs together so that one STB can serve both. But then you are forced to see the same channels on both the TVs at the same time.

Yes, its called Digilink!

Last edited by Glifford : 3rd December 2008 at 15:27. Reason: Combined replies
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:49   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
But wouldn't that also mean, that for the same data packet size, far better picture quality can be beamed with MPEG4?

My dad does. He says it costs Rs. 125 pm additional for another STB with individual controls.

But on reading the site, I remember Tata Sky also has an option of wiring two TVs together so that one STB can serve both. But then you are forced to see the same channels on both the TVs at the same time.

Yes, its called Digilink!
1. Agreed that MPEG4 can be used for better picture clarity, however will Tatasky do that is a question ?

2. Just enquired Tatasky for multiple subscription but the initial cost seems to be high which is 1500+500 for STB and Installation. Only benefit is that we can have full package in Main STB and watch the same in Secondary for Rs. 125.

Confused to go for this one or the Airtel ?
Old 5th December 2008, 15:27   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Even with TSky+ the signal is still Mpeg2. It records in Mpeg4. The only difference b/w + and regular is the component out which may give you a slightly better picture.

Quote:
2. Just enquired Tatasky for multiple subscription but the initial cost seems to be high which is 1500+500 for STB and Installation. Only benefit is that we can have full package in Main STB and watch the same in Secondary for Rs. 125.

Confused to go for this one or the Airtel ?
Just ordered a multiroom connection for myself. The cost is as you said. The only advantage is you dont have to install another dish and muck around with packages from two DTH providers. Also my regular cable costs Rs. 300. I will save Rs. 175 a month and earn back the installation cost in a year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks