Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 16:01   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
My hardly 4 month old digital STB is now giving humming sound. Mute the STB and the humming continues. Mute on the TV or switch off the STB and it goes. So, some problem with the STB?

This was not present when we got it (the STB). Any comments?
Humming sound should be coming from the speakers and not from the STB. Its usually electrical interference, have you changed your setup recently ??, try routing the cables differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
any ideas on todays TOI ad for Reliance BIG TV - which speaks about 250 channels HD-like quality? Is this proper HD across 250 channels or only something similar to real HD. What is meant by HD-like exactly?

This is one of the things that I dislike about the Reliance company - they mislead the public quite a bit in the tone and manner of their advertising.
"HD like" is like I will give you Auto-bahn for roads but a Nano to drive on it. .

Broadcast pipe is HD but the channels are upscaled.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:00   #1472
BHPian

HD Like should definitely be the upscaled version like Dish TV's.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:14   #1473
Senior - BHPian

They should ban using phrases like "HD like"
Ends up confusing the customer followed by dissatisfaction,

Furthermore, it discounts the "Tru HD" providers and channels
Old 20th May 2011, 22:08   #1474
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Humming sound should be coming from the speakers and not from the STB. Its usually electrical interference, have you changed your setup recently ??, try routing the cables differently.
Will try. The STB is about 8-9 inches away (below - on a TV stand) from the TV. Humming goes away only when the STB is switched off. No Humming with other sources (bluray, USB), even if STB is on.

But will try re-routing.

Quote:
"HD like" is like I will give you Auto-bahn for roads but a Nano to drive on it.
I would rather put it as plonking a Safari body on a Nano engine.
Old 20th May 2011, 23:16   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
any ideas on todays TOI ad for Reliance BIG TV - which speaks about 250 channels HD-like quality? Is this proper HD across 250 channels or only something similar to real HD. What is meant by HD-like exactly?

This is one of the things that I dislike about the Reliance company - they mislead the public quite a bit in the tone and manner of their advertising.
There is a thread running on this in another forum and as per them most of the channels are the upscaled ones and HD-like is the catch here. In short. most are not true HD!
Old 24th May 2011, 12:57   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is definitely misleading, I noticed in their TV ad yesterday, they are even projecting their transmission to be in 1080p, no HD transmission in India is 1080p, its all 1080i .

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
There is a thread running on this in another forum and as per them most of the channels are the upscaled ones and HD-like is the catch here. In short. most are not true HD!
Name:  1080p.gif
Views: 979
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 24th May 2011, 13:14   #1477
BHPian

Quote:

My search finally led to ProTouch, Made in India, they had 4-in-1 or 5-in-1 models, price ranging from 899-599 Rs with learning feature.

Till I stumbled upon the same model UR501L for 499 (list price 899). First couldnt believe and checked with the vendor if the pictures are for depiction only or will I get the same model. He confirmed in positive, "We deliver what we list". Placed the order same day and got it the very next day.
dadu, really appreciate your sharing of this universal remote detail in the forum. I got my remote delivered yesterday. Managed to setup the TV and tata sky set top box functions in the remote. I still need to do it for the AMP and Blue ray player. Overall, very satisfied with the purchase and it is pretty easy to setup. Just need concentration for some time.

You helped to save a cool Rs.400 from the list price by pointing to the correct dealer offering the lowest price. Now I can go and order the Team BHP stickers from the saved cost

Last edited by gopikb : 24th May 2011 at 13:15.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:18   #1478
BHPian

A word of caution, you may call it an unsolicited advise. STAY AWAY FROM VIDEOCON D2H.

Its been about 30 days since I am using this and trust me the experience has been nothing less than nightmarish.

They would first deduct some money from my account balance which I would accidently discover. Once notified, they will ackonledge the mistake and put it back. Fair enough, could happen.

16th day. The reception goes kaput. I lodge a complaint. Someone visits in the afternoon. I am at work, my wife calls me up to tell me this guy is saying that something from the dish has broken. I speak to the guy and ask him to to fix it. He says "I am the leader, I dont do this. I will go back and find out who was the guy who installed it and he will come back and fix it." I give him a piece of my mind and then he comes back in the evening and fixes it.

Someone calls up from Videocon and says it was done FOC. However, they deducted the money and they have no clue who called me up to say this was done FOC since it was within 16 days of installation.

And then, clouds over NCR this weekend ensures I dont have reception for good few hours. And then, everything comes back except certain channels. I call up and I was told to perform certain steps. I did all, nothing worked. I was told to keep my STB switch on as they will do some correction from back end. It shall happen within 2 hours.

I waited till Tuesday and sent them an email. They completely forgot a customer who was paying for the services and was not getting it. After my mail, got a call from them today, "they wanted to know" what the issue is. lol.

All this within 30 days of subscription. I am getting rid of this junk the day my deposited money dries off.

Suggest Videocon D2H to people you hate to death.

Last edited by New.Novice : 25th May 2011 at 12:22.
Old 25th May 2011, 12:40   #1479
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Tata Sky HD experience so far has been excellent. ONly 7 channels though but I think they will bring more channels in HD format sooner rather than later.
The record facility is fantastic. One need never miss out on either Top Gear or Discovery Turbo or any other programme again on account of other time constraints. 600 hours of recording is certainly a big plus.

I would always tend to trust Tata Sky much more than any of the other companies offering this service.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:16   #1480
Team-BHP Support

After many months of wait, Tatasky HD has finally condescended to my small town. I got the Tatasky HD installed today morning. Added the HD channels from office later. Came home at night eager to check out the HD channels.... so far no luck.

It is RAINING! There is no signal....
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:24   #1481
BANNED

@samurai - you have been very bitter about TS in your other thread about their billing (sorry, have not been following that thread). So why choose TS again?

And does rain interfere with DTH?

That would be an incentive for me not to move away from my digital STB - Asianet is now taking bookings for HDTV. Will try it out only several months later - after somebody has tested out, and probably after our current subscription expires. (The decision is made by others in the family - I have no time left for TV after tbhp).
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:41   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Supposingly if wer have 2 TS boxes, one hd and the other simple one. So we can get both the boxes subscribed together right?
Now my Q is the subscribed channels will be same however the channel which will be played on one tv can be different from the other TV, is that right?
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:43   #1483
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@samurai - you have been very bitter about TS in your other thread about their billing (sorry, have not been following that thread). So why choose TS again?
What do you mean again? I am a Tatasky customer since 2007, have never changed. The problem was not about billing, they had changed my monthly plan to annual plan without my consent. They changed it back once I threatened to cancel the account. It is the very first post of that thread.

Quote:
And does rain interfere with DTH?
Oh, big time. It has been raining since yesterday evening, whole night, and even now it is raining cats and dogs. So, I still haven't seen HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Supposingly if wer have 2 TS boxes, one hd and the other simple one. So we can get both the boxes subscribed together right?
Now my Q is the subscribed channels will be same however the channel which will be played on one tv can be different from the other TV, is that right?
Yes, you can have different types of boxes in a single account, channels played can be different in each box, but subscribed channels are same.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:38   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After many months of wait, Tatasky HD has finally condescended to my small town. I got the Tatasky HD installed today morning. Added the HD channels from office later. Came home at night eager to check out the HD channels.... so far no luck.

It is RAINING! There is no signal....
Samurai, since it rains heavily in your location you need to get a bigger dish. You currently have a 60cm dish.

Service providers use a 80cm dish in kerala and Mumbai, therefore if you know someone there having a spare dish (any provider), you can use that to boost the signals.
Old 6th June 2011, 09:19   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
My search finally led to ProTouch, Made in India, they had 4-in-1 or 5-in-1 models, price ranging from 899-599 Rs with learning feature.

Till I stumbled upon the same model UR501L for 499 (list price 899). First couldnt believe and checked with the vendor if the pictures are for depiction only or will I get the same model. He confirmed in positive, "We deliver what we list". Placed the order same day and got it the very next day.

Configuration was easy, they have codes listed under each model, enter those in a sequence(described in manual) and check with the power button, if it works, all others functions will work too. If not you can use the search or learn mode and assign any keys to specific functions as in the original remote.

The best part is I can override the default buttons with my choice. for eg. in the STB mode the volume control by default changes the volume of the STB, which is not required. I made it to learn to control the TV volume even if I am under STB mode.

I am quite satisfied with and is a value deal overall + One remote controls all devices. The original remotes are also saved from the wear and tear over timeand replacement costs.
Thanks a bunch for the awesome advice! I ordered mine from the same seller on ebay (with a 15% discount coupon too!), and it was delivered the very next day. Must say, fastest shipping I have come across.

I'm very satisfied with the remote control, have set it up for my Tata Sky, Sony LCD, Samsung Air Conditioner and Amkette Flash Drive. So I still have one emply slot!

It's really a fun experience using one remote control for all the devices!

Thanks again!
Cheers!
Vineet

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks