Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 11:19   #1366
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Guys, Please be careful of misleading advertisements regarding "30 channels" being available in HD on Dish Tru HD. I have had a bad experience with them after upgrading. I would sincerely suggest you try ALL their channels (of any service provider) on a proper home-theater system before upgrading to HD.

Please refer to my mail below threatening them of legal action.

"Dear Sirs,

Sub: RE: VC No. 01513284062 - Dish Tru HD

Many 24 Hours have elapsed since the promised resolution. None from your Technical Team has contacted me so far and I cannot wait indefinitely.
I have paid my hard-earned money for the purchase of a HD receiver and HD channels (under exchange) with Digital audio and am not willing to compromise.

Please confirm which of the three options I need to choose now:

1. Correct the audio problem in the “actual” HD channels within the next 24 hours….’Movies Now’, ‘Discovery HD’ and ‘National Geographic HD”…sound prominent only in the left channel and NO Dolby Digital 5.1. None of your other so-called HD channels are actually HD during most of the times except Prime-Time and the audio is not Dolby Digital.

2. Take back your Dish Tru HD Receiver, LNB, and Dish and return my money and deposits…I shall switch to Tata Sky, Reliance Digital TV or Airtel Digital TV which are more reliable.

3. I take legal recourse and escalate the matter to the competent authority such as TRAI and complain/enlighten them about the “false and misleading advertisements being made by you in the media regarding “30 channels of HD @ 1080i and Dolby Digital sound” without highlighting that most of the channels have been upscaled to 1080i and the audio is just PCM-Digital (stereo) and not Dolby Digital 5.1.

I would request your early confirmation to enable me to take the matter to its logical conclusion.

Regards,

Bopanna

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:38 PM
To: Bopanna
Subject: RE: VC No. 01513284062 - Dish Tru HD

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Thank you for writing to dishtv.

We would like to inform you that as per our records we have already forwarded your feedback to the concerned department and assure you of a prompt response.

We request you to wait for the same.

Incase of any concerns please write to us or call us, we would be glad to be of assistance.

We value your association and assure you of our commitment to serve you with a smile.

Regards,
Shilpa Suri
Customer service
DISHTV

Did our response resolve your query? Please Click on the link below to give us your valuable feedback.
http://202.46.200.213/PaymentAuditDe...22&Cid=4621834

Only MTNL/BSNL lines : 1860-180-3474;Only non MTNL/BSNL lines : 60013474 (Prefix 011 for North; 022 for West; 033 for East; 044 for South); All lines: 0120-2550000; to get a prompt call back from dishtv SMS- DISHTV CALL ME to 57575 from your Registered Mobile Number.
To Register your Mobile Number SMS - DISHTV RMN <VC No> to 57575
Old 27th March 2011, 13:47   #1367
BHPian

Update on Sky HD+:

I had gotten myself the new box a month ago and everything was working perfect until a month later on Ind vs Aus day, when the system starting hanging like every 10-15 minutes especially watching HD.

I called up customer care and a technician came home and told me that there is a problem with the firmware and the box needs replacement (apparently a common issue!). He brought along with him a couple of used set top boxes which I refused to use, so he went back telling me that he'll be back in an hour. Been a day and nothing so far!

So i guess its a slightly uncooked system as of now with a lot of bugs!

Last edited by Monaro : 27th March 2011 at 13:48.
Old 27th March 2011, 20:06   #1368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Got my Tata-Sky+ HD box installed this weekend ...
All SD channels appear as if washed through a Gaussian filter, my CAS STB had discernibly better clarity.
In essence, it has been an average experience at best, my biggest grouse with the Tata-Sky+ HD service being the diffused quality of the SD channels. I hope a future firmware update of some kind will take care of this lack of picture clarity.
I also thought that. It is more visible for SD channel as they are stretched from 4:3 to 16:9 and low resolution to HD or Full HD resolution. Each pixel represented as more number of pixels.
But using component cable and HDMI cable clarified the doubt. Some/all color noise is washed with HDMI and you loose some border noise too which gives feel of loosing sharpness.

BTW which TV you are using? because adjusting brightness, contrast, color, sharpness and tint for each input type definitely gives better clarity. I am satisfied and enjoying it with SD too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
The remote is rather bulky & does not have a way for you to 'swap' between 2 channels.
Have you tried 'back' button on remote. I think that works like you looking for. Go to one channel and then another. If you want to return then just press 'back' on remote.

I thought otherwise. This remote sturdy and better organized.
Old 28th March 2011, 17:02   #1369
BANNED

Finally sorted out:

After all the travails with TataSky HD+ the replacement unit was finally delivered and installed on Friday, 14 days after the original unit was installed, and which packed up in less than 12 hours. A executive named Srikanth from Tata Hyderabad got involved, and saw the thing delivered and installed. he also called me up on Friday evening.

One small glitch. In the evening the system started misbehaving. Then after a reset things have become normal. Really enjoying NatGeo & Discovery in HD.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:20   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Booked a Tata Sky HD+ at 3:15PM. Grand sports pack is given free for a month as i used my credit card to pay for the connection.

The CC guy has told me that it take 5 working days for the techinican to fix the dish i.e. one week. Lookin forward for a good service but somewhere I have feeling that they are gonna disappoint me. Coz there have been just too many new connection for Tata sky this month due to their offer with LG TV and they are having high demand for the HD+ box. Wonder if they have stocks to deliver on time!!

I just hope that they give me a new box, not an old or repaired one due to lack of stocks! Anyway to find out if the box is repaired etc?
As expected, they do seem to have much stocks. I had to do a follow up call on Friday because there was no msg or call from their end. The CC rep assured me that it would be installed Friday evening or Saturday itself. But I got a call only on Sunday morning.

Scheduled the installation at 5:00PM, they did the work pretty well. Thankfully it was a new box but built of the box feels flimsy. They got it working within no time, since I had booked via my credit card I had the grand sports channel free for a month. I added HD pack to it.

HD clarity is awesome. Waiting for tomorrows match.

EDIT: As anyone here booked TS HD+ with the credit card offer of the Grand sports channel? I just got a message that my subscription will expire tomorrow! I can't take the risk of the box not working during Ind/ Pak match!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
First and foremost do not accept a used box. Not sure if they are doing this due to lack of stocks. Secondly you may even have it installed in a day or two. Thats what happenned to me, booked on friday late night and monday afternoon they were at my home installing it :-)
You were lucky I guess, or may be its depends on the area etc. Anyway, all is well now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hi @sumathindra. which area do you stay in BLR? I booked on 16th, no sign of the box till now!!! :-( Customer Service spouts the usual platitudes.
I would suggest you to follow up, you need to ask for an interaction ID or quote your service request number again. This is a huge delay from their end. Take them to task.

Last edited by mac187 : 29th March 2011 at 10:27. Reason: Q to Tbhpians
Old 29th March 2011, 10:35   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Hi @sumathindra. which area do you stay in BLR? I booked on 16th, no sign of the box till now!!! :-( Customer Service spouts the usual platitudes.
I stay in Jayanagar 3rd block. Though i was told it will take 5 days i was pleasently surprised when it came in 2 days!
Old 29th March 2011, 10:38   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
720p is any day better than 1080i, I have a Full HD 1080p Tv, but have configured my STB box to transmit to 720p.
Do you suggest to configure the STB to 720p? I have a full HDMI 1080p Philips TV and the TS HD+ box is configured to 1080p. The reception is just brilliant. Will it be better in 720p?
Old 29th March 2011, 13:16   #1373
BHPian

Quote:
Do you suggest to configure the STB to 720p? I have a full HDMI 1080p Philips TV and the TS HD+ box is configured to 1080p. The reception is just brilliant. Will it be better in 720p?
No, if your TV is 1080p then 1080i will be better than 720p.

Clarity is better & descending in order 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 720i.

Full HD TV(resolution: 1920x1080 pixels): TS HD+ STB support 1080i at the best. So you lock it here.

HD ready TV(resolution: 1324x768 pixels): 720p and 1080i gives same results. I prefer 720p at both ends to rule out any compatibility conversions in video stream.

Last edited by omishra : 29th March 2011 at 13:21.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:37   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you can make out the difference in far off objects like trees etc in NGC, if you look at their leaves etc, you will find artifacts in it (1080i), whereas in 720p, you wont. I personally found better overall picture quality in 720p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
No, if your TV is 1080p then 1080i will be better than 720p.

Clarity is better & descending in order 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 720i.

Full HD TV(resolution: 1920x1080 pixels): TS HD+ STB support 1080i at the best. So you lock it here.

HD ready TV(resolution: 1324x768 pixels): 720p and 1080i gives same results. I prefer 720p at both ends to rule out any compatibility conversions in video stream.
Wrong, the order is 1080p, 720p, 1080i for HD broadcast. You need to understand the progressive(p) and interlaced(i) picture for getting the right prespective, although there are always two schools of thought just like anything else.

Searched for a video to get things in perspective.

Last edited by dadu : 29th March 2011 at 13:42.
Old 29th March 2011, 14:29   #1375
BHPian

Great video! So the takeaway is should i set the format to 720? as in the video he says there is no 1080p broadcast!
Old 29th March 2011, 14:51   #1376
BHPian

Quote:
Wrong, the order is 1080p, 720p, 1080i for HD broadcast. You need to understand the progressive(p) and interlaced(i) picture for getting the right prespective, although there are always two schools of thought just like anything else.
I have different opinion here.

Though technically per frame basis, 720p (720 lines per frame) streams more(all) information per frame. On the other hand 1080i (actually 540 lines even/odd per frame) streams half of the information from frame. still picture details are more in 1080i (540 even lines + 540 odd lines) if shown as rate of more than 50 fps.

e.g. If a object is considered as vertical tree divided in 720 points then details shown at each point are less. If same divided in 1080 points, though flashed even/odd points at very fast rate per pixel details are more. Our eye can't detect flashing less than 1/10th of second. Though details of 1080 lines flashed in interlaced manner, still this looks detailed in case of full HD panel and scanning rate of TV more than 100 frame per second.

This does not matter for HD ready panels.

So I am not looking from point of data per frame but from the point of final picture details human eye can differentiate.

Last edited by omishra : 29th March 2011 at 14:53.
Old 29th March 2011, 15:50   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great video! So the takeaway is should i set the format to 720? as in the video he says there is no 1080p broadcast!
Yes, there is noone with 1080p broadcasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omishra View Post
I have different opinion here.

Though technically per frame basis, 720p (720 lines per frame) streams more(all) information per frame. On the other hand 1080i (actually 540 lines even/odd per frame) streams half of the information from frame. still picture details are more in 1080i (540 even lines + 540 odd lines) if shown as rate of more than 50 fps.

e.g. If a object is considered as vertical tree divided in 720 points then details shown at each point are less. If same divided in 1080 points, though flashed even/odd points at very fast rate per pixel details are more. Our eye can't detect flashing less than 1/10th of second. Though details of 1080 lines flashed in interlaced manner, still this looks detailed in case of full HD panel and scanning rate of TV more than 100 frame per second.

This does not matter for HD ready panels.

So I am not looking from point of data per frame but from the point of final picture details human eye can differentiate.
Well based on my viewing, I could notice Artifacts in NGC HD, when I saw a program in 1080i with huge trees at a distance background with the wind moving the leaves. I switched to 720p and havent noticed such artifacts after that. I have a 42 inch Full HD TV (1080p).
Old 30th March 2011, 08:34   #1378
BHPian

Quote:
Well based on my viewing, I could notice Artifacts in NGC HD, when I saw a program in 1080i with huge trees at a distance background with the wind moving the leaves. I switched to 720p and havent noticed such artifacts after that. I have a 42 inch Full HD TV (1080p).
User experience has first priority . Practically it shouldn't be there with HDMI connection(digital stream) unless you pause the frame.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:39   #1379
BHPian

Got my dish (airtel dth hd) re-aligned to SES 7 finally. It has been a week since I made the request and finally lost patience and sent an email (Digitaltv@airtel.in). This seems to have worked and the next morning got a call from them. Seems like they have outsourced this task to local agencies. So the technician came and set it up yesterday. Then called them again and added MoviesNow HD (Rs 22 + taxes). The picture quality is good but there seems to be a problem with 5 channel audio. Can someone help me with this?

I use an yamaha receiver, use an HDMI cable between stb and the receiver. Should I switch of any audio processing mode and use it only as a pass through since the i/p is already 5.1 audio?
Old 31st March 2011, 12:21   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Got my dish (airtel dth hd) re-aligned to SES 7 finally. It has been a week since I made the request and finally lost patience and sent an email (Digitaltv@airtel.in). This seems to have worked and the next morning got a call from them. Seems like they have outsourced this task to local agencies. So the technician came and set it up yesterday. Then called them again and added MoviesNow HD (Rs 22 + taxes). The picture quality is good but there seems to be a problem with 5 channel audio. Can someone help me with this?

I use an yamaha receiver, use an HDMI cable between stb and the receiver. Should I switch of any audio processing mode and use it only as a pass through since the i/p is already 5.1 audio?
Which HD STB make are you using ?

How are you viewing the picture if you have connected the HDMI to the Yamaha Receiver ??, since the Huawei STB has only one HDMI(to connect TV) and one Optical out (Toslink).

If you have Optical In on your receiver, connect using a Toslink Optical cable (easily bought at ebay.in).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks