Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 13:08   #1381
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Which HD STB make are you using ?

How are you viewing the picture if you have connected the HDMI to the Yamaha Receiver ??, since the Huawei STB has only one HDMI(to connect TV) and one Optical out (Toslink).

If you have Optical In on your receiver, connect using a Toslink Optical cable (easily bought at ebay.in).

Sorry, don't remember the make/model of the STB. I have the HMDI out of the STB connected to HDMI in of the receiver and HDMI out of the receiver connected to HDMI in of the TV. I have two optical inputs in the receiver. But I thought HDMI would carry mutlichannel audio as well. Please correct me if I am wrong. I do have an optical cable which I use to connect my dvd player to the receiver. Will try it out with optical cable and see how it works. Also just read the online manual and there seems to be a "STRAIGHT" mode which will just pass on the channels in the i/p to the corresponding output speakers without additional processing. Will have to check out this too.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:53   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Sorry, don't remember the make/model of the STB. I have the HMDI out of the STB connected to HDMI in of the receiver and HDMI out of the receiver connected to HDMI in of the TV. I have two optical inputs in the receiver. But I thought HDMI would carry mutlichannel audio as well. Please correct me if I am wrong. I do have an optical cable which I use to connect my dvd player to the receiver. Will try it out with optical cable and see how it works. Also just read the online manual and there seems to be a "STRAIGHT" mode which will just pass on the channels in the i/p to the corresponding output speakers without additional processing. Will have to check out this too.
HDMI can carry 8 different channels including 5.1 audio along with 1080p picture. But not sure how its implemeted in the STB circuitary, checking with the Digitial Optical out cable is the best resort.
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:07   #1383
BHPian

My Tata Sky Annual Mega Pack subscription is about to end this month(I have two connections)
They have increased their annual charges to 6k for one set up box, +160 a month for the ad on connection(from 5500+150 a month last year), Although I'm looking to retain one of the connections
I am looking to upgrade to an HD set up box for the other TV
In bangalore
Which would you guys recommend for HD,providing most number of channels otherwise?(non HD too)
Airtel
Reliance Big TV
or Tata Sky HD ?
Will look up their brouchers in a few days, But was looking to get a review
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:30   #1384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
My Tata Sky Annual Mega Pack subscription is about to end this month(I have two connections)
They have increased their annual charges to 6k for one set up box, +160 a month for the ad on connection(from 5500+150 a month last year), Although I'm looking to retain one of the connections
In bangalore
Which would you guys recommend for HD,providing most number of channels otherwise?(non HD too)
Airtel
Reliance Big TV
or Tata Sky HD ?
It would be better to take service from another provider today/tomorrow, due to Ugadi you might get some offer which might be cheaper compared to what you are paying now.

Just compare the offerings from the top players and decide, you have Airtel, Reliance and Dishtv as competitors.
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:46   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
As long as you have HDMI IN in your receiver, please connect only through HDMI, that's the best form of A/V transmission.
In the absence of HDMI IN in your receiver, CVI (component video) may be used for video and Digital (Optical) for audio.
There is no necessity to use an optical cable for audio when HDMI connections are used.
In the receiver, for the selected input (i.e. set-top box), HDMI needs to be selected for both audio and video, in case such a setting exists.

Last edited by cpbopanna : 3rd April 2011 at 16:47. Reason: repeated words
Old 3rd April 2011, 16:58   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
In bangalore
Airtel
Reliance Big TV
or Tata Sky HD ?
I have burnt my fingers with Dish Tru HD..(please refer to post earlier in the thread).
The audio is awful (PCM-Digital) which is nothing but analogue audio signals converted to digital stereo.
Insofar as HD (video) is concerned, other than National Geographic, Discovery HD, Movies Now and Star Cricket, NONE of the other channels are True HD, they have only been upscaled to 1080i.
In plain-speak, this is like converting your old VHS video-tapes to DVD; the DVD plays in a DVD player, but the picture and sound remain the same.
I suggest you wait for a couple of months until HD stabilizes across all service providers and they offer genuine HD video (not upscaled) and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Otherwise, you'll be simply wasting your money on 30 channels of 'so-called' HD and the service producer will be laughing all the way to the bank thanks to our over-enthusiasm and gullibility.
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:15   #1387
BHPian

I am ok with the fact that all the channels aren't HD yet,
I am looking to purchase a HD reciever(so that when HD channels actually come, my STB will be compatible for the same)
Ok so Dish removed from the List, Need to compare Airtel, Reliance Big and Tata Sky
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:19   #1388
BHPian

Quote:
In bangalore
Airtel
Reliance Big TV
or Tata Sky HD ?
Just upgrade to TS HD, I've personally experienced the other operators through out the whole year and the UI is unmatched. I also find that the quality of English channels is much better than the Hindi channels in TS. Its the other way around for the other players- probably cause they cater to rural markets more than the metros as a priority in pricing and channel viewership.

Change operators only if you're looking for channels not available in TS, like Zee Sports.
Old 4th April 2011, 17:54   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I have burnt my fingers with Dish Tru HD..(please refer to post earlier in the thread).
The audio is awful (PCM-Digital) which is nothing but analogue audio signals converted to digital stereo.
Insofar as HD (video) is concerned, other than National Geographic, Discovery HD, Movies Now and Star Cricket, NONE of the other channels are True HD, they have only been upscaled to 1080i.
In plain-speak, this is like converting your old VHS video-tapes to DVD; the DVD plays in a DVD player, but the picture and sound remain the same.
I suggest you wait for a couple of months until HD stabilizes across all service providers and they offer genuine HD video (not upscaled) and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Otherwise, you'll be simply wasting your money on 30 channels of 'so-called' HD and the service producer will be laughing all the way to the bank thanks to our over-enthusiasm and gullibility.
Quote:
I am ok with the fact that all the channels aren't HD yet,
I am looking to purchase a HD reciever(so that when HD channels actually come, my STB will be compatible for the same)
Ok so Dish removed from the List, Need to compare Airtel, Reliance Big and Tata Sky
Then you wont even have to worry about the Dolby Digital sound as that would need a amp or receiver supporting it, if you dont intend to have a surround setup along with your TV in near future, dont bother.
Old 4th April 2011, 21:20   #1390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Then you wont even have to worry about the Dolby Digital sound as that would need a amp or receiver supporting it, if you dont intend to have a surround setup along with your TV in near future, dont bother.
I do have surround sound for one TV, I was just looking to get a connection besides Tata Sky since I don't need to be stuck with the same cable provider for both TV's(something I didn't think of when i applied for the ad on connection last year)
now that HD is in the market, and there's alot more competition(There wasn't last year)
It makes sense to get the HD set top box or even the DVR(after evaluating the price difference between HD, and HD DVR)keeping in mind the next few years
Old 5th April 2011, 10:59   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do have surround sound for one TV, I was just looking to get a connection besides Tata Sky since I don't need to be stuck with the same cable provider for both TV's(something I didn't think of when i applied for the ad on connection last year)
now that HD is in the market, and there's alot more competition(There wasn't last year)
It makes sense to get the HD set top box or even the DVR(after evaluating the price difference between HD, and HD DVR)keeping in mind the next few years
If its a backup then you can also look at options like Iptv from Airtel (if available in your area) or stick to your normal cable operator for your second non-HD or CRT TV..
Old 5th April 2011, 23:15   #1392
BHPian

So I have been using TS+ HD for 2 weeks and I am really enjoying my content once again. I was wondering why ESPN HD \ Star Sports HD are not a permanent fixture in the HD Gold pack. This week the Masters will start airing come Thursday on Star Sports. I can't find any information that states that they will begin to broadcast it in HD. How does one find out? Is there a secret Star Sports HD Channel with a banner as a placeholder somewhere?

Thanks,
V
Old 6th April 2011, 11:51   #1393
Senior - BHPian

Set Max are pricing IPL HD coverage at Rs. 10 crore!
Insanity.

Hope we get to watch it on Tatasky eventually.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:04   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
As long as you have HDMI IN in your receiver, please connect only through HDMI, that's the best form of A/V transmission.
In the absence of HDMI IN in your receiver, CVI (component video) may be used for video and Digital (Optical) for audio.
There is no necessity to use an optical cable for audio when HDMI connections are used.
In the receiver, for the selected input (i.e. set-top box), HDMI needs to be selected for both audio and video, in case such a setting exists.
I tried using the "STRAIGHT" mode for movies now HD, but could not get any 5 channel audio. The receiver detects HDMI as audio input source, so that is fine I guess. I get the options as HDMI/Auto/Analog ( as I have connected DVD audio input as well). There is some way to get info on the signal itself, will try and post it. IMO NGC HD has a better audio quality than Movies NOW HD.
Old 8th April 2011, 08:17   #1395
BHPian

I got free Dish TV HD when I bought Samsung TV. I want to go for Airtel HD, if anyone wants to use the coupon let me know, I can give it for free.

Let me know if anyone has unused Airtel HD coupon.
gopinathann is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks