Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 11:47   #1501
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
tata sky hd is not all that great. 5.1 doesn't work over the hdmi. the picture also flickers now and then.
Get your set top box, cable and the connections checked. It just works like a charm.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:51   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Get your set top box, cable and the connections checked. It just works like a charm.
I second Sumathindra. Recently watched a movie on StarMoviesHD and the 5.1 worked just great. Depends on the movie and the reception too.
Old 26th July 2011, 13:28   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
gkrishn Note that Tatsky HD + set top box doesnot give 5.1 sound through HDMI. You will need to connect either the cooxial cable out from set top box to coax in of your HDTV or use TOSLINK cable to connect optical audio out from set top box to HDTV to get 5.1 sound.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:30   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
gkrishn Note that Tatsky HD + set top box doesnot give 5.1 sound through HDMI. You will need to connect either the cooxial cable out from set top box to coax in of your HDTV or use TOSLINK cable to connect optical audio out from set top box to HDTV to get 5.1 sound.
YES you are right. Though i have connect the TS to my HT it is via HDMI only. Yet to find time to rewire thru coaxial or TOSLINK.
Old 27th July 2011, 10:13   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

Till I stumbled upon the same model UR501L for 499 (list price 899). First couldnt believe and checked with the vendor if the pictures are for depiction only or will I get the same model. He confirmed in positive, "We deliver what we list". Placed the order same day and got it the very next day.

Configuration was easy, they have codes listed under each model, enter those in a sequence(described in manual) and check with the power button, if it works, all others functions will work too. If not you can use the search or learn mode and assign any keys to specific functions as in the original remote.

The best part is I can override the default buttons with my choice. for eg. in the STB mode the volume control by default changes the volume of the STB, which is not required. I made it to learn to control the TV volume even if I am under STB mode.

I am quite satisfied with and is a value deal overall + One remote controls all devices. The original remotes are also saved from the wear and tear over timeand replacement costs.
Hello Dadu,
I ordered and got this remote yesterday. I got it configured for TataSky and my Samsung LCD TV. but i couldn't get it work with my Philips DVD Player 3388. I have tried all the codes listed under DVD section for philips but nothing worked. LED blinks twice for some codes but not a single function works.
I tried manual search mode (CH+ button pressing) but again nothing worked.
Can you please guide me if anything i am missing?

thanks & regards
Old 27th July 2011, 10:46   #1506
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a query,i have a Sony Bravia 32inch HD ready (720i) TV.Will it be possible to get Tata Sky HD on it?How good will be the resolution?I already have a TataSky connection.I dont have a home theatre as of now but intend to get it later.What all needs to be done?My TV has 2 HDMI ports.
Also,is there any way to connect a 4.1 speaker system(Creative) to the HD STB using a normal 3.5mm jack(does the HD STB have any audio out slot which takes 3.5mm jack?)?
Old 27th July 2011, 11:44   #1507
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@BoneCollector; I have a Samsung 32"with almost identical specs. No problems (in fact Tata Sky HD+) can be set up for 720 (I have left it on 1080). Only thing to watch out for - until the software is downloaded you will not get any display on HDMI so the Engineer will use a twin RCA cable. Once done, you are in business.

Problems: Two i. Volume variation is far higher on HDMI (sometimes T hav to use both the remote units to get decent volume and control), ii. The Panaroma mode (scaling the 4:3 to a less objectionable pic) does not work.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:01   #1508
Senior - BHPian

TataSky increased HD Gold package price to Rs.75/-. Reason, Star Cricket HD added. Why they are not adding ESPN HD? I miss F1 HD

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 27th July 2011, 13:38   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hello Dadu,
I ordered and got this remote yesterday. I got it configured for TataSky and my Samsung LCD TV. but i couldn't get it work with my Philips DVD Player 3388. I have tried all the codes listed under DVD section for philips but nothing worked. LED blinks twice for some codes but not a single function works.
I tried manual search mode (CH+ button pressing) but again nothing worked.
Can you please guide me if anything i am missing?

thanks & regards
if nothing works, use the learning function to adapt the remote to the DVD remote buttons. Might take some time but its only for once.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 13:58   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
if nothing works, use the learning function to adapt the remote to the DVD remote buttons. Might take some time but its only for once.
Thanks, will try today. I read it but thought it was complex and takes time.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:15   #1511
BHPian

I am using Sun DTH now and pretty much satisfied as I watch only tamil channels and sports that too only cricket.

I am now thinking of going for HD, which is the best DTH which gives maximum tamil channels.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:28   #1512
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
TataSky increased HD Gold package price to Rs.75/-. Reason, Star Cricket HD added. Why they are not adding ESPN HD? I miss F1 HD
Easy. They do not have any more capacity on the transponder. A new satellite is expected to be 'up there' in about seven months. So till then forget any more HD on TataSky.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:51   #1513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I have a query,i have a Sony Bravia 32inch HD ready (720i) TV.Will it be possible to get Tata Sky HD on it?How good will be the resolution?I already have a TataSky connection.I dont have a home theatre as of now but intend to get it later.What all needs to be done?My TV has 2 HDMI ports.
Also,is there any way to connect a 4.1 speaker system(Creative) to the HD STB using a normal 3.5mm jack(does the HD STB have any audio out slot which takes 3.5mm jack?)?
BoneCollector, I also have a 2 year old Sony Bravia 37inch HD ready (720i) - S series. Trust me, the HD content will simply blow you away. The difference in clarity of HD content between Full HD and HD ready TVs will be visible only for larger screen sizes (42" and above). Screen sizes below that will not see a big difference. After watching HD, you just wont feel like watching SD channels. Even the pictures in movie theatre will feel hazy once you get used to HD. So go ahead and get that HD connection soon.
Old 27th July 2011, 15:12   #1514
BHPian

If i am not wrong then Tata SKy+ HD costs 4k now and initially it was 2.5k.
I just did inquiry yesterday as i wanted to buy it for my Samsung 32'' HD Ready TV.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:38   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
If i am not wrong then Tata SKy+ HD costs 4k now and initially it was 2.5k.
I just did inquiry yesterday as i wanted to buy it for my Samsung 32'' HD Ready TV.
AFAIK:

Tata Sky HD = Rs.2500
Tata Sky HD+ = Rs.4000

Most Viewed