Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2011, 10:55   #1591
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Just an update.

I've orders videocon d2h online on 18th late night on-line.
I was quite surprised to see the guys ready to install on yesterday morning itself.
got HD box with Platinum HD pack for 2 mnths for 2690/-.They will give a 400/- cashback for online orders.So it comes to 2290/-.

first impression is good with good picture and sound quality.

Will do detailed checking later and update.There are 12 malayalam channels + 1 Religious channel Shalom.

Looks good at this stage. finally out of Tata sky's add/remove channel game.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 11:05   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Just an update.

I've orders videocon d2h online on 18th late night on-line.
I was quite surprised to see the guys ready to install on yesterday morning itself.
got HD box with Platinum HD pack for 2 mnths for 2690/-.They will give a 400/- cashback for online orders.So it comes to 2290/-.

first impression is good with good picture and sound quality.

Will do detailed checking later and update.There are 12 malayalam channels + 1 Religious channel Shalom.

Looks good at this stage. finally out of Tata sky's add/remove channel game.
Cool. Is the logo of D2H transparent? Have heard that D2H does not have surround sound. Also what is your setup and overall feedback on PQ, EPG and channels.

~maniac
Old 20th October 2011, 13:56   #1593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Cool. Is the logo of D2H transparent? Have heard that D2H does not have surround sound. Also what is your setup and overall feedback on PQ, EPG and channels.

~maniac
Logo is transparent.

I'm using an old setup of Sony Bravia 32" model(old series-KLV 32W400) with Sony 790K hometheatre (DZ-790K) .

I'll try experiments on the weekend. I need to check the sound quality using the optical out of videocon d2h box. I'll update them later.

In the TV, it looks better than my old Tata sky box. Tested channels side by side on TV.

Anyway, the first impression is good. Picture and Sound is better as it is through HDMI cable. My old tata sky model uses normal A/V out.

Support teams also works better.(may be due to less connections,comparing to others).I got platinum HD default option. Called them and it took just 30 minutes to get it changed to South Platinum HD.(with the 2 regional channels free option).

I use a WDTV Live media player for my HD movies and all.So not much dependent on this HD box. The 6 channels in HD are truly wonderful.

Once we've lots of channels in true hd transmission, we may have more players on market and new technologies.So untill then , this one looks the best alternative against my old tata sky.
Old 20th October 2011, 14:00   #1594
BHPian

Does anyone have Hathway HD set top box? Hathway was suppossed to come out with HD set top box in May or so.

How many HD channels do they show and What's the setup cost/rental?
Old 27th October 2011, 07:28   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
Does anyone have Hathway HD set top box? Hathway was suppossed to come out with HD set top box in May or so.

How many HD channels do they show and What's the setup cost/rental?
They were supposed to launch it yesterday, but i haven't seen any updates from the cable guy yet. All he said is that they have only an annual pack for 6000/- or so, which has all channels + about 23 HD channels, and the STB might cost around 3k. Will update as soon as i hear from him.

My parents bought a Videocon D2H at Trivandrum yesterday. They are mighty impressed with it. They paid about 2690/- and got 2 months free Platinum HD pack, and later its about 441/- monthly. Much better than Tata Sky which they were using for the past 2 years. Looks to be a good deal , i might got for it as well as it seems a better deal compared to the Hathway one.

Last edited by kap04 : 27th October 2011 at 07:33. Reason: Added more info
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 10:43   #1596
Senior - BHPian

I saw a message on Tata Sky saying that the Indian Grand Prix F1 will be shown on ESPN HD on raceday, October 30. Does anyone know if Airtel DTH has similar plans for the race?

Btw, Airtel is showing two new HD channels, History Channel HD and UTV Movies HD.
Old 27th October 2011, 12:24   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Still most of our channels are transmitted in analog mode only. As for the low cost and free channels (regional) are not updating to hd it is not worth paying more now for HD service.
Old 27th October 2011, 14:17   #1598
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Got TataSky+ HD this week. Rs3999 for the box, installation free (till 24 meters of cable) and Rs 551 for 2 month's subscription of Grand Sports package (Rs380 pm) + HD pack (Rs75 pm).

The installation took almost 2.5 hours. Two cables right from the dish on the terrace to my floor. One crucial part (the receiver on the dish where ther cables start) was old and defective. Apparently somebody at the store goofed up. Wasted 45mins to get a new part.

My 40" LED is finally happy. Connected using HDMI cable provided. The HD channels look phenomenal. I actually braved 30 minutes of "Milenge Milenge" movie on Star Gold HD purely because of the picture quality. I will keep the HD pack even after 2 months.

The box has a Ethernet socket and a USB socket at the back. Referred the manual and it says "For future use". Anybody experiemented with these two? Would love to have the flexibility of recording on a external portable HDD.

The box has 7.1 Audio out connections. I am going to try 2 main speakers from my age-old Kenwood as the front channels.
Anybody tried connecting 7.1 speakers directly to it, without a AV receiver/DVD-player/BR-player in between?

Absolutely love the pause-live-TV and rewind-live-TV features of the TataSky+. One can record 2 channels simultaneously. Tried it, works. Also registered for myTataSky online. One can initiate/book a record event online as well. Tried even that, works like a charm.

Spoke with the customer-care. Had a query on when would the HD channels start, wanted to modify the regional pack selections and also wanted to correct my name in their records. 2/3 problems solved. The name in their records has changed, but is still badly mis-spelt.

Last edited by SDP : 27th October 2011 at 14:27.
Old 29th October 2011, 14:37   #1599
BHPian

Further updates on videocon d2h audio testing.

I bought spdif coax cable and tested the sound output.
In HD channles, there is an alternate audio channel with dolby output. So,once I select that audio stream, I'm getting true surround effects.

But ,not all HD channels have this additional audio output stream.

Other cosmetic issues are:
The box is made of cheap plastic.The remote receiving angle is very limited.
Other than this, all other things looks perfect at this stage and I'm slowing getting into videocon d2h from 4+ year long Tata sky life.
Old 29th October 2011, 15:13   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Just in case some of you missed it.

Tata Sky offer today. Only Rs.1999Rs for TataSky + HD - Its the "Jingalala Saturday Offer"
Old 29th October 2011, 16:01   #1601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Just in case some of you missed it.

Tata Sky offer today. Only Rs.1999Rs for TataSky + HD - Its the "Jingalala Saturday Offer"
saw it but the lines are so busy just cant get a word in. keep trying i guess
Old 29th October 2011, 16:28   #1602
BHPian

Super response from Tatasky,saw the ad today morning at 10.30 placed the order for HD+ at 10.45am and the box was installed by 2.30pm.Yeah tomorrows F1 in HD .
Old 29th October 2011, 16:29   #1603
Senior - BHPian

I tried at 7 am 11 am and now

Still cannot get through
Old 29th October 2011, 17:35   #1604
Team-BHP Support

The ad says 50% but the actual cost for the HD box is still 2,599. The 50% is credited into your account.

Also the old standard set top box can be exchanged for an additional Rs.300 credited in your account.

I got through after being on the line for 55mins.
Old 29th October 2011, 18:03   #1605
BHPian

Just ordered online Videocon D2H, opted for south platinum HD pack (441 per month). Currently they have an offer - 2 months platinum HD free & 400/- cash back if ordered online. Hope to get the installation done tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks