Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 19:18   #1621
BHPian

Re: SD Pics on HD STB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Oh. I was not aware of it Thanks for letting me know. Whats the solution now ?
I don't think compromising on majority of SD channels just for the sake of a few HD ones makes sense. Atleast for now. Parents use that TV and watch majorly Kannada channels. It irritates seeing the same clarity after you ended up paying so much for it.

Is there no work around ? Will the quality be the same when connected through the AV cable also ?. I will ask them to provide me another normal SD STB for free and connect the HD STB only when i need it.
I am in the same boat. At home they mostly watch kannada channels and seeing the quality they feel like going back to our old TV with the earlier SD STB.

Some of them say the quality of pics depends on the upscaler present in your TV. Samsung seems to be good at upscaling SD channels.

You are good with HDMI connection from HD STB to TV. I feel a AVR between your HD STB and TV might better the SD pictures, but not sure. Folks here can comment on the same. Is there anyway we can better the SD pictures by putting something in between our HD STB and TV?
Old 1st November 2011, 20:43   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Re: SD Pics on HD STB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am in the same boat. At home they mostly watch kannada channels and seeing the quality they feel like going back to our old TV with the earlier SD STB.

Some of them say the quality of pics depends on the upscaler present in your TV. Samsung seems to be good at upscaling SD channels.

You are good with HDMI connection from HD STB to TV. I feel a AVR between your HD STB and TV might better the SD pictures, but not sure. Folks here can comment on the same. Is there anyway we can better the SD pictures by putting something in between our HD STB and TV?
Try plugging your box and TV with component cable for video and you will also need a AV cable for sound.

For my eye's component worked better than HDMI in picture quality.
Old 1st November 2011, 21:00   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru

Ok. Update. Tried connecting the HD STB through a av cable instead of the HDMI. No real change in quality. I had both the connections simultaneously and could compare it by switching between sources.

Connected the normal non-HD STB to the same tv instead of the HD STB. .The quality again was almost the same . So, I am guessing there is no real difference in quality between the HD and non-HD STB. Guess the upscaling on the Sony tv like you said isn't that great and the quality looks good on normal tv coz of the size.
Old 1st November 2011, 21:12   #1624
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Try plugging your box and TV with component cable for video and you will also need a AV cable for sound.

For my eye's component worked better than HDMI in picture quality.
All right. I shall try this sometime this week. Are composite cable and component cable one and the same? If so, can i plug a composite cable into component ports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Ok. Update. Tried connecting the HD STB through a av cable instead of the HDMI. No real change in quality. I had both the connections simultaneously and could compare it by switching between sources.

Connected the normal non-HD STB to the same tv instead of the HD STB. .The quality again was almost the same . So, I am guessing there is no real difference in quality between the HD and non-HD STB. Guess the upscaling on the Sony tv like you said isn't that great and the quality looks good on normal tv coz of the size.
Yes. There would not be much difference between non-HD and HD STB on a HDTV for SD channels. The only one that would make a difference is better upscaling algorithm/device. If your STB is not good at it, we might have to introduce some other device to assist the upscaling at the TV.
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:45   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
All right. I shall try this sometime this week. Are composite cable and component cable one and the same? If so, can i plug a composite cable into component ports?

Yes. There would not be much difference between non-HD and HD STB on a HDTV for SD channels. The only one that would make a difference is better upscaling algorithm/device. If your STB is not good at it, we might have to introduce some other device to assist the upscaling at the TV.
Yes for testing purpose you can use composite cables, you will need 3 of them and need to identify them at both sides so that you dont interchange the Y Pb Pr. You can connect both HDMI and Composite and switch to see the difference.
Old 3rd November 2011, 06:53   #1626
BHPian

I don't have the picture quality issue for sd channels with the videocon hd box.
They look same or better than what they used to look with hathway settop box.
My TV is LG 42LW5700.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:54   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy
I don't have the picture quality issue for sd channels with the videocon hd box.
They look same or better than what they used to look with hathway settop box.
My TV is LG 42LW5700.
Same here, I feel the SD channels on Videocon D2h are clearer compared to what we used to watch on Hathway settop box. My TV is a Samsung LA40C650
Old 17th November 2011, 20:59   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Tata sky might have added few channels i think for regional. I am getting suvarna news now, earlier it was only TV9 kannada..
Old 18th November 2011, 10:00   #1629
BHPian

I have been using Airtel DTH HD for the past 3 months. The package was 2590 for the box and 3 months subscription. Folks were prompt in installation on the same day & service queries answered alright.

Btw: one good thing about their Set Top Box is that, the remote that came along is of good quality and it lets me switch off the TV and adjust TV volume directly. so no more 2 remote juggle.

Now about HD channels- they have about 8 HD channels and they are alright. General Picture Quality: It's miles ahead of my TATA Sky Set Top Box. Happy with Airtel DTH.

Last edited by nevertouchme : 18th November 2011 at 10:04. Reason: Typed STB for Set Top Box
Old 18th November 2011, 12:03   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Btw: one good thing about their Set Top Box is that, the remote that came along is of good quality and it lets me switch off the TV and adjust TV volume directly. so no more 2 remote juggle.

Now about HD channels- they have about 8 HD channels and they are alright. General Picture Quality: It's miles ahead of my TATA Sky Set Top Box. Happy with Airtel DTH.
That the biggest draw towards Airtel for me was the universal remote.
Speaking of HD channels I am getting 7, how are you getting 8?

Star World HD
Star Movies HD
Movies Now HD
Star Gold HD
NGC HD
Discovery HD
Travel XP HD (I think).

Regards
Old 18th November 2011, 18:34   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
That the biggest draw towards Airtel for me was the universal remote.
Speaking of HD channels I am getting 7, how are you getting 8?

Star World HD
Star Movies HD
Movies Now HD
Star Gold HD
NGC HD
Discovery HD
Travel XP HD (I think). (doesnt exist on Airtel)

Regards
You forgot Star Plus HD

But you can get 11 HD channels in Airtel

History TV 18 HD
Colors HD
CNBC Prime HD
UTV Stars HD

were recently added.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 17:54   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You forgot Star Plus HD

But you can get 11 HD channels in Airtel

History TV 18 HD
Colors HD
CNBC Prime HD
UTV Stars HD

were recently added.
seriously!

My wife told me abt Color HD, so now will need to check out other channels, I've opted for the HD channel pack.
Old 23rd November 2011, 01:04   #1633
BANNED

Planning to get DTH. Which one has best SD PQ? Videocon or Airtel?
Which STB is most responsive and reliable? which one has most clear audio quality?

PS: What to do with my 5 year old dish TV STB (Zenega) and dish? Can I sell it? I used it only for 3 months in 2006.

Thanks
--Ragul

Last edited by Ragul : 23rd November 2011 at 01:10.
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:14   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Planning to get DTH. Which one has best SD PQ? Videocon or Airtel?
Which STB is most responsive and reliable? which one has most clear audio quality?

PS: What to do with my 5 year old dish TV STB (Zenega) and dish? Can I sell it? I used it only for 3 months in 2006.

Thanks
--Ragul
For SD PQ, the best is Reliance HD DTH. I had tried airtel and reliance has much better built-in SD upscaler.
Old 24th November 2011, 21:14   #1635
BHPian

Noticed that Movies Now is being aired on tatasky, however not sure if it is in HD. I do not see the same quality of picture of movies now channel as the other HD channels :-(

Last edited by sumathindra : 24th November 2011 at 21:15. Reason: edits

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks