Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 22:58   #1561
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

After reading through some of the pains people have gone through with customer service, I have an off topic suggestion to you: Switch it off forever.

I switched off my television and got cable (Hathway) disconnected 4 months back and it's been such bliss. Nobody tries to sell me anything anymore and I don't feel like a 'consumer' 2-3 hours a day.

Sorry off topic but I just had to say it!
Old 11th October 2011, 11:31   #1562
BHPian

Re: Reliance HD DTH v/s Airtel HD DTH.

We got a 50" Plasma TV and was considering Airtel HD DTH or upgrading the existing Reliance box to HD DTH box. Does Airtel's HD DTH box upscale all the SD Channels? It seems Reliance does the same for some 250 odd channels. How is the quality of SD channels on Airtel HD DTH box? Is it better than Reliance HD DTH on upscaling?

Please advice.

Old 11th October 2011, 11:44   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I was using tatasky for past 4+ years.
Now it is forcing me to quit it as they have removed 2 malayalam channels (Amrita TV and DD) and removing Kairali channel next week.
So the remaining channels will be just 4.

I'm looking for the best option to switch.

Please suggest me the best one based on your usage.

My critierias are:

1.Max malayalam channels (or at least all popular ones --8+)
2. Hindi soap+movies (star,zee,sony and their movie channels.)
3.English news (desi+cnn+bbc)
4. English movies n few entertainment(HBO+star+axn+zee cafe+discovery+NGC+animal planet+TLC)

5.Sport (only add-on ,removal basis.I will use it only on event based)

I too had the same problem with TSky and decided to opt for Hathway Digital cable. It provides 11 Malayalam channels and has better picture clarity than any DTH SD service. I also get all sports channels along with news, business, 7-8 Eng movie channels, Discovery Turbo, Disc Science, Fox Crime, BBC entertainment, CBS etc. And it cost me just 200 per month. If you don't need HD channels, this is the best bet here. Make sure you get an STB along with the cable connection.

Last edited by vasoo : 11th October 2011 at 11:46.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:57   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Email received from Tata Sky Customer Care!

To: xxxxx@xxxxx.com
Sent: Monday, 10 October 2011 5:19 PM
Subject: Service Request Reference Number: SR1010110659380

Dear Mr. Xxxx Xxxxxxxx,

Thank You for contacting us,

With reference to your E-mail dated 10/10/2011 12:39:45 PM,

We would like to inform you that with effect from Wednesday 21 Sep, 2011, we are not airing Amrita and DD Malayalam.

Thank you for your patronage. Your feedback is very valuable & this letter addresses the point you have raised.

Our large national audience is bound to have diverse viewing patterns because it is 5 million strong, you can imagine that tastes and preferences differ across the country! And our endeavor is to satisfy people in every part of India.

At launch, Tata Sky offered just 60 channels, but in the last 3 years, that count has gone up to thrice as much. Today, Tata Sky offers 191 channels & services - each one of these channels has been picked based on its viewership & popularity. Unique interactive services have been specially designed for your whole family.

High Definition (HD) TV is the current technology wave in the TV industry today. This digital broadcasting system with higher resolution and enhanced picture and sound quality in comparison to a regular television service also consumes more bandwidth. Tata Sky has over the period of a year launched 7 asli HD (shot and broadcast in HD) channels, in keeping with todays viewing patterns.

We have tried to ensure that we have an offering for every region & every language but we also are limited by bandwidth availability. Over time, our endeavor will be to try & reintroduce all the channels that you would like to watch.

Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to your continued patronage.

For any further assistance, please feel free to write to us at help@tatasky.com. You also have the option of calling the Tata Sky

From MTNL/BSNL : 1860 4256633

From West : 020 66006633

From East/South : 040 66006633

From North : 0172 6600663

Thank you for your valuable association with us. Assuring you of our best services at all times.

Warm regards,

Xxxxxxxxxx

Tata Sky Customer Care

[THREAD ID:1-5DUKLFP]
Old 12th October 2011, 10:12   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
We got a 50" Plasma TV and was considering Airtel HD DTH or upgrading the existing Reliance box to HD DTH box. Does Airtel's HD DTH box upscale all the SD Channels? It seems Reliance does the same for some 250 odd channels. How is the quality of SD channels on Airtel HD DTH box? Is it better than Reliance HD DTH on upscaling?

Please advice.

No Airtel doesnt Upscale, its providing all the HD channels it is advertising IN HD. Airtel is using D2B, which technologically is the best Satellite broadcasting technology available in the world therefore No problems in SD too, quality is good.
Old 12th October 2011, 10:26   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
No Airtel doesnt Upscale, its providing all the HD channels it is advertising IN HD. Airtel is using D2B, which technologically is the best Satellite broadcasting technology available in the world therefore No problems in SD too, quality is good.
So you mean to say the Airtel HD Box does not upscale the SD channels. Then the HDTV has to upscale the SD channels to the native resolution, right?
Old 13th October 2011, 12:54   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean to say the Airtel HD Box does not upscale the SD channels. Then the HDTV has to upscale the SD channels to the native resolution, right?
You can select the output resolution in the HD box, 1080i, 720p, 576 etc. The SD will be upscaled accordingly by the box.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:18   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
You can select the output resolution in the HD box, 1080i, 720p, 576 etc. The SD will be upscaled accordingly by the box.
I got a Reliance Digital HD Box, and i do not see the options for selecting this resolution. Is this a hardware switch on the box, or is it something we select on the screen? Please advise.
Old 13th October 2011, 16:52   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a Reliance Digital HD Box, and i do not see the options for selecting this resolution. Is this a hardware switch on the box, or is it something we select on the screen? Please advise.
Its not a hardware switch but built into the STB menu's.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:14   #1570
BHPian

Re: Universal Remote?

Quote:
Its not a hardware switch but built into the STB menu's.
Thanks. Earlier, you had suggested about a universal remote for STB and TV. Is it still available? Could you please share the links for the same?
Old 14th October 2011, 13:23   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Earlier, you had suggested about a universal remote for STB and TV. Is it still available? Could you please share the links for the same?
Check the link in my earlier post, it might be still available for sale.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:22   #1572
BANNED

Sharing you the DTH Channel list with EPG numbers of various operators in India.
Attached Files
File Type: xls DTH CHANNEL LISTS -.xls (167.0 KB, 17187 views)
wildon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 15:43   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Check the link in my earlier post, it might be still available for sale.
That link is dead, so i asked. Could you pl. share the model number/details?
Old 15th October 2011, 13:28   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That link is dead, so i asked. Could you pl. share the model number/details?
The model is PROTOUCH Universal Remote UR-501L, its available at most electronics shops at Rs. 899. Its now available at Indiaplaza for Rs. 699(I searched it for you)

Protouch Universal Remote | Buy Remote Controls | Indiaplaza
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 15:41   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
The model is PROTOUCH Universal Remote UR-501L, its available at most electronics shops at Rs. 899. Its now available at Indiaplaza for Rs. 699(I searched it for you)

Protouch Universal Remote | Buy Remote Controls | Indiaplaza
Thanks. Can this operate my WD Media Player(Model WDBABF0000NBK)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks