Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2014, 08:17   #2251
BHPian

Re: Reliance Digital DTH Escalation options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Use the PG Portal: http://pgportal.gov.in/
Lodging my grievance there with DoT helped budge the Reliance WiMAX people.
Used the same to get my d2h (lodged with Dept of Information Broadcast) connection canceled and flash SMSes disabled when I got no response through their advertised customer support channels.
Thanks! I have left a complaint with the Info & Broadcast. Now the wait, begins!
Old 21st January 2014, 15:23   #2252
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Today my TATA Sky SD stopped showing most channels, with an error message that the channels are now HD, and we need an HD box to avail. When we renewed the package for this year, we did not select HD, then why the hell is it forcing us to select HD? The operator at the call center said that HD is now compulsory, and that we would have to purchase the HD box for Rs. 2000. Any idea what the status is. Sadly Tata Sky is a Tata company which seems to cheat a lot.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:49   #2253
BHPian

What is the cheapest setup (dish + STB) for DD Direct (free service)? Also, can it be installed by ourselves? what tools/knowledge will be needed?

(a friend of mine wanted to donate a connection at a remote place - hence, install techs may not be available. Want it to be free because of obvious reasons & since local language TV/news is sufficient from DD).
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:33   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Today my TATA Sky SD stopped showing most channels, with an error message that the channels are now HD, and we need an HD box to avail. When we renewed the package for this year, we did not select HD, then why the hell is it forcing us to select HD? The operator at the call center said that HD is now compulsory, and that we would have to purchase the HD box for Rs. 2000. Any idea what the status is. Sadly Tata Sky is a Tata company which seems to cheat a lot.
I didn't get this. Do you mean your SD box is not showing any channels? I don't believe TSky pulling off such a stunt. Remember, Indian TVs are mostly non HD, still. Or you mean specific channels?
Old 29th January 2014, 10:12   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I didn't get this. Do you mean your SD box is not showing any channels? I don't believe TSky pulling off such a stunt. Remember, Indian TVs are mostly non HD, still. Or you mean specific channels?
I bought the new HD box for Rs. 990. I checked the TATA SKY website, and MANY channels were now listed as: Working with only MPEG-4 Box (read: HD Box). These include most of the English news channels BBC/CNBC/CNN-IBN/Times NOW etc.

While the signal is not necessarily full HD, it is classified as MPEG-4, and not MPEG-2, which was apparently the earlier signal. Still can't believe a brand like TATA could pull off such a stunt.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:34   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
I bought the new HD box for Rs. 990. I checked the TATA SKY website, and MANY channels were now listed as: Working with only MPEG-4 Box (read: HD Box). These include most of the English news channels BBC/CNBC/CNN-IBN/Times NOW etc.

While the signal is not necessarily full HD, it is classified as MPEG-4, and not MPEG-2, which was apparently the earlier signal. Still can't believe a brand like TATA could pull off such a stunt.
MPEG-4 Box content doesn't need a HD box. If you go through the posts couple of pages back, you can read through the discussion on this. Tata sky replaced the old SD box with the new MPEG-4 Box compatible SD box FOC few months back. You should be asking for the free replacement of your old SD box with the customer care.

Edit: The posts i mentioned were not from this thread but from the tata sky thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...roblems-3.html

Last edited by Mission_Safari : 29th January 2014 at 10:44. Reason: Adding the link
Old 29th January 2014, 10:42   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
MPEG-4 Box content doesn't need a HD box. If you go through the posts couple of pages back, you can read through the discussion on this. Tata sky replaced the old SD box with the new MPEG-4 Box compatible SD box FOC few months back. You should be asking for the free replacement of your old SD box with the customer care.
I did call customer care and asked if a new SD box will be provided. They said, NO, an HD BOX is required

So I bought the HD box for Rs. 990. Damn Cheats. Next time, If I need to replace my DTH Provider, I am definitely not going in for TATA <Cheaters> Sky.

I mean, based on customer ignornace on my part, they decided to fleece me and make me 'Upgrade' to the damn HD Box.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:57   #2258
BHPian

I have a Philips 29" CRT tv. I want to buy a recorder+ dth. In my community I can only choose between Tata and Airtel. They both only offer HD recorder. I have decided that airtel HD recorder is better of the two given the pricing (9k for installation + 1 year versus 12k for Tatasky).

My question is will the HD recorder work with my CRT TV? The tv has the regular a/v cable - red, white, and yellow. I am not asking about HD cos it is pretty evident my TV doesn't support that. All I want to know is if the HDR box is compatible to view SD channels and record them.
Old 29th January 2014, 11:50   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the HD/HD PVR box will work fine with the AV cable, that is why the AV out ports are provided on the box too. These boxes are compatible with both SD and HD transmissions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
My question is will the HD recorder work with my CRT TV? The tv has the regular a/v cable - red, white, and yellow. I am not asking about HD cos it is pretty evident my TV doesn't support that. All I want to know is if the HDR box is compatible to view SD channels and record them.
Old 29th January 2014, 11:52   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Yes, the HD/HD PVR box will work fine with the AV cable, that is why the AV out ports are provided on the box too. These boxes are compatible with both SD and HD transmissions.
That's great. Thanks for the info!
Old 14th February 2014, 22:44   #2261
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Need some guidance.
I have a 45 " LED samsung tv and the use the HDMI 13 settings.
Initially I subscribed to T.Sky HD and bought a HD box but could hardly see any difference in their HD/SD telecast. So I didn't renew the HD channels( but kept the HD box). So just HD box and SD channels.
Fed up of T.Sky and want to change immediately and thought of Videocon(I was their subscriber for 2 yrs and changed because they had no comedy central.)
Now my question is" Is it worth going for V.Con HD ? If there is any difference pl give a ballpark %age figure" Otherwise I would stick to SD.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Old 9th March 2014, 23:35   #2262
BHPian

Hey guys, I am switching to a Tata Hd box for one of my Tv's just want a few clarifications from existing owners:

1) Does the box have both RGY ports as well as HDMI or only HDMI?
2) Does the HD box also have a SPDIF/Coaxial port?
3) Can I have one SD and one HD setup or Do I have to switch both to HD?

Please note I am talking about the HD box and not the Tata SkyHD+.
Old 10th March 2014, 10:28   #2263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
Hey guys, I am switching to a Tata Hd box for one of my Tv's just want a few clarifications from existing owners:

1) Does the box have both RGY ports as well as HDMI or only HDMI?
2) Does the HD box also have a SPDIF/Coaxial port?
3) Can I have one SD and one HD setup or Do I have to switch both to HD?

Please note I am talking about the HD box and not the Tata SkyHD+.

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-imageuploadedbyteambhp1394427540.081445.jpg

Was about to leave for work when I noticed your post so taking a quick snap of the back of my Tata Sky HD box. Hope the image helps as I'm in a hurry and to answer Query 3, The HD Box pictured is able to transmit both SD and HD channels you do not need a separate box for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Last edited by Maky : 10th March 2014 at 10:30.
Old 10th March 2014, 23:47   #2264
BHPian

^Thanks for the pic Maky, Could you please tell me what year did you get the box cause the SPDIF port I see is optical based, I want to know whether the newer boxes have the round SPDIF ports or the same as shown in the above picture.

also regarding my 3 question,I referred to a multiple tv setup. I wanted to know whether I can have HD on one tv and the other box can be left as is,anyways got the answer from tat sky customer care.
Old 11th March 2014, 10:08   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
^Thanks for the pic Maky, Could you please tell me what year did you get the box cause the SPDIF port I see is optical based, I want to know whether the newer boxes have the round SPDIF ports or the same as shown in the above picture.

also regarding my 3 question,I referred to a multiple tv setup. I wanted to know whether I can have HD on one tv and the other box can be left as is,anyways got the answer from tat sky customer care.
This HD Box was purchased in Nov/Dec 2013. Just a couple months ago.
It should still be the latest one I think but you'll have to check with Tata Sky on that one to be absolutely sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks