Old 14th November 2013, 14:04   #2236
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What did they do to ask this additional amount
Ah!
Well the first bunch asked me 200 because that was apparently what installation costs and that it would be reflected in my balance through SMS. I refused stating I was told only to pay +1,000Rs. after the Initial 999 that I paid Croma.
The second group asked me the exact same amount stating that I've used some 'extra' material and that the 'In-charge madam' doesn't know "What we do here and only knows about some basic costs", I've roughly translated there : P. I told him I can talk to the madam and if she tells me to pay you extra I'll do it right away upon which his tone changed drastically ^_^. The second group who actually did the full installation decided to not clean up the extra wire cuts and leave abruptly after I declined paying them extra as well. I'd have forwarded this but they really did a good job with the installation other wise...
The earlier mentioned madam was also very courteous and was guiding a complete noob like me with a lot of patience. She also helped me with some Issues I was having with the helpline to get the basic package, which she did for me.

Quote:
Yes, Tata Sky is expensive for HD. This is the reason many people (me included) are switching to other operators.
Can you please tell me which operator you have switched to and how do both the SD and HD compare?
Old 14th November 2013, 15:24   #2237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Ah!
Well the first bunch asked me 200 because that was apparently what installation costs and that it would be reflected in my balance through SMS. I refused stating I was told only to pay +1,000Rs. after the Initial 999 that I paid Croma.
The second group asked me the exact same amount stating that I've used some 'extra' material and that the 'In-charge madam' doesn't know "What we do here and only knows about some basic costs", I've roughly translated there : P. I told him I can talk to the madam and if she tells me to pay you extra I'll do it right away upon which his tone changed drastically ^_^. The second group who actually did the full installation decided to not clean up the extra wire cuts and leave abruptly after I declined paying them extra as well. I'd have forwarded this but they really did a good job with the installation other wise...
The earlier mentioned madam was also very courteous and was guiding a complete noob like me with a lot of patience. She also helped me with some Issues I was having with the helpline to get the basic package, which she did for me.

Can you please tell me which operator you have switched to and how do both the SD and HD compare?
Generally Tsky provides only 10 metres of cable, anything extra you will have to pay some amount per metre. I live on the 2nd floor and have mounted my dish on the terrace. Obviously the 10 metres wont suffice and i paid the extra for the additional wire length and this was told to me before the purchase at Croma, Malad.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:40   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Generally Tsky provides only 10 metres of cable,
Yes, not just Tata Sky but other operators too only provide 10m cable and two connectors in the standard installation. The extra cable is charged at 10 rs. per meter and additional connectors are billed at rs. 25 per connector.

Not sure if Maky's installation required only this much cable and connectors. Additional connectors are required if the cable is not directly connected to STB. This happens if your flat has preset cable points and one end is left outside of flat to connect the dish by builder.

I switched to Videocon D2h for one of my TV. Barring the initial hiccups during installation, it's been great so far. I don't see any noticeable difference between Tata Sky and D2h for SD. For HD, I cannot comment since Tata Sky is connected to an old CRT tv, But when I compared in showrooms, I did not feel any difference.
Old 14th November 2013, 15:52   #2239
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Yes, not just Tata Sky but other operators too only provide 10m cable and two connectors in the standard installation. The extra cable is charged at 10 rs. per meter and additional connectors are billed at rs. 25 per connector.

I switched to Videocon D2h for one of my TV. Barring the initial hiccups during installation, it's been great so far. I don't see any noticeable difference between Tata Sky and D2h for SD. For HD, I cannot comment since Tata Sky is connected to an old CRT tv, But when I compared in showrooms, I did not feel any difference.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Generally Tsky provides only 10 metres of cable, anything extra you will have to pay some amount per metre. I live on the 2nd floor and have mounted my dish on the terrace. Obviously the 10 metres wont suffice and i paid the extra for the additional wire length and this was told to me before the purchase at Croma, Malad.
The cable used is of the same length so the additional cost cannot be justified in the form of extra cable by them. My TV is in my main hall & about 3 meters from my balcony where the dish is placed & the excessive cable roll isn't that much more.
Old 14th November 2013, 20:53   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

The cable used is of the same length so the additional cost cannot be justified in the form of extra cable by them. My TV is in my main hall & about 3 meters from my balcony where the dish is placed & the excessive cable roll isn't that much more.
Then in that case there should be no question of demanding additional money. This is definitely a case of trying to milk the customer.
Old 15th November 2013, 11:46   #2241
BHPian

There is some good news to Telugu speaking people who have Tatasky. Bhakthi channel and SVBC will be aired as normal full screen channels very shortly. Currently they are part of active darshan. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 15th November 2013 at 11:47.
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:19   #2242
BHPian

Currently I'm using cable TV, but fed up of the compulsion to subscribe to channels I never watch, so switching to DTH. Can anyone advise me which DTH Operator would be suitable for me considering that
  • I live in Mumbai (Heavy downpour)
  • Will be getting an HD STB/Digicomp, but no DVR
  • The only channels I'd be watching will be HD Channels (Sports, English Movies and Infotainment) and Marathi channels. No other channels.
  • Won't be using any interactive services.

I have decided to go with TataSky, but then I heard that their HD channels are priced higher + you need to pay HD Access fee. Also, Discovery Turbo is not available with their HD Box. Major setback for any petrolhead
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:26   #2243
BHPian

@Rosso Corsa I have been Using Videocon D2h and pretty satisfied with price, packages and their HD packages. Picture quality & monsoon transmission has been trouble free.
Old 23rd November 2013, 12:04   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
  • I live in Mumbai (Heavy downpour)
  • Will be getting an HD STB/Digicomp, but no DVR
  • The only channels I'd be watching will be HD Channels (Sports, English Movies and Infotainment) and Marathi channels. No other channels.
  • Won't be using any interactive services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@Rosso Corsa I have been Using Videocon D2h and pretty satisfied with price, packages and their HD packages. Picture quality & monsoon transmission has been trouble free.
Even I'd recomment videocon d2h for the type of use that you have specified. User of both Tata Sky and D2h. Both work well but Tata Sky is pricey.
Old 24th November 2013, 00:16   #2245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Quote:

Even I'd recomment videocon d2h for the type of use that you have specified. User of both Tata Sky and D2h. Both work well but Tata Sky is pricey.
Thanks a lot. I'll go ahead with Videocon. Another advantage I saw in Videocon was that I was getting a HD/3D DVR with unlimited recording at a cheaper price than TataSky HD STB!
Old 24th November 2013, 10:27   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
Thanks a lot. I'll go ahead with Videocon. Another advantage I saw in Videocon was that I was getting a HD/3D DVR with unlimited recording at a cheaper price than TataSky HD STB!
I am not sure what you mean by unlimited. I guess it will depend on the capacity of hard disk. So it is finite. Besides earlier you said you don't need a DVR. I have heard good reviews of Tata Sky DVR but mixed about videocon DVR.

If you are referring to recording to external media through USB port on HD box, then I don't think it will be of much use since it can only record the channel that is currently playing on TV, unlike DVR which records any channel in the background.
Old 24th November 2013, 10:33   #2247
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure what you mean by unlimited. I guess it will depend on the capacity of hard disk. So it is finite. Besides earlier you said you don't need a DVR. I have heard good reviews of Tata Sky DVR but mixed about videocon DVR.

If you are referring to recording to external media through USB port on HD box, then I don't think it will be of much use since it can only record the channel that is currently playing on TV, unlike DVR which records any channel in the background.
By unlimited, I meant recording to an external source. True, I don't need a DVR, but their DVR and STB were at the same price, so thought why not go for one. Most of my sitcom episodes and Movies are downloaded from the Internet, so this will be of little use.
Old 9th January 2014, 15:01   #2248
BHPian

Re: Reliance Digital DTH Escalation options?

How do we disconnect the second connection on Reliance Digital DTH?
The reliance guys are removing the channels on primary connection(which is on annual pack) on the grounds of insufficient funds in the secondary connection. I had put across my request for surrender of secondary connection via their call center, months ago. I am really fed up with these guys and if NOT for the annual pack would have shifted to other service providers.

The call center does NOT help and emails to the customer care doesn't get response . Could the members share the escalation options for reliance digital DTH?
Old 10th January 2014, 01:14   #2249
BHPian

Re: Reliance Digital DTH Escalation options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The call center does NOT help and emails to the customer care doesn't get response . Could the members share the escalation options for reliance digital DTH?
Use the PG Portal: http://pgportal.gov.in/
Lodging my grievance there with DoT helped budge the Reliance WiMAX people.
Used the same to get my d2h (lodged with Dept of Information Broadcast) connection canceled and flash SMSes disabled when I got no response through their advertised customer support channels.
Old 10th January 2014, 20:30   #2250
BHPian

Hi! My dish tv is rebooting and rebooting.

I have dish tv HD stb and its rebooting for every 30min.

surprisingly it stays on for hours some times.

And some times the picture stucks.

What mite be the problem?

I tried flashing the firmware but no luck.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks