Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2013, 23:46   #2176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Thanks for updating.
You are getting far better service down South than I am getting here!
I have been given 4th Oct as the date when an engineer will attend to see what the problem is.
Today they replaced my Videocon HD box with unlimited recording with another new one. Now all the features forward, rewind, pause, also pausing during live tv is perfectly working fine.
Old 5th October 2013, 06:36   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Today they replaced my Videocon HD box with unlimited recording with another new one. Now all the features forward, rewind, pause, also pausing during live tv is perfectly working fine.
Good for you.
Here, in Delhi, I am still waiting for some solution.
The Videocon engineer did not show up yesterday, as promised.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:56   #2178
BHPian

Update for Tata Sky HD+ Subscribers - How to connect your Box using a single cable

Hi Guys,

I have recently moved to a new house and needed to connect my TS HD+. Now, those who use this service know that there are two cables that are connected from the Dish to the box in order to record and watch channnels simultaneously.

As the apartment I moved into had a cable out I could easily connect one of the cables there. However the sight of another cable via the door and crawling to the TV frightened me. So, just to try it out I connected a splitter to the cable and connected the 2 cables to it and then to the box.
And voila it works!

Hope it helps people.
Old 8th October 2013, 14:32   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Videocon - Worst start of subscription!

Even after hearing about several quality complaints about Videocon STBs and remotes, I decided to take the plunge. Yesterday I had ordered a Videocon HD DVR box.

Today the guy came with the dish and the box. The box was faulty out of the box. It never booted up, no indication in front panel. Initially the LEDs blink for a minute and then it dies.

The packaging and aesthetic appeal of the box and its hardware is the worst you see in the market. (I mean the hardware packaging, not the paper packaging the STB came with)

He went back with the faulty box promising to deliver a good one by evening.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th October 2013 at 14:55.
Old 8th October 2013, 17:59   #2180
Senior - BHPian

TEN HD added to Tata Sky ch. #408. Mega HD and Mega South HD subscribers get it for free.

Has Tata Sky moved to a new satellite? Remember reading here that they did not have additional bandwidth/spectrum etc etc to add new channels. More info anyone ?
Old 8th October 2013, 18:36   #2181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Has Tata Sky moved to a new satellite? Remember reading here that they did not have additional bandwidth/spectrum etc etc to add new channels. More info anyone ?
TataSky recently moved to MPEG4 from the earlier MPEG2.
Must have gained a few transponders that they had booked long back but which got delayed a lot.
Old 10th October 2013, 11:23   #2182
Senior - BHPian

Got myself provisioned with Videocon HD service yesterday.

Though I didn't like the box, no complaints about picture quality. HD channels are a treat to watch.

The recording option wasn't enabled from start. The installation guy told, I have to call the customer care and request to activate it (Whay can't they simply activate it?!) . But when I called the customer care, the lady didn't even know what to do!

There are lot of confusions and inconsistencies between what you get and what is mentioned in the site. The site says you get a 1TB HDD DVR box but what I got is 500 GB. I was also told by the rep that I will get two months South Gold HD subscription with the box but what I got it only for one month.

Last edited by clevermax : 10th October 2013 at 11:32.
Old 10th October 2013, 11:34   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Got myself provisioned with Videocon HD service yesterday.

Though I didn't like the box, no complaints about picture quality. HD channels are a treat to watch.

The recording option wasn't enabled from start. The installation guy told, I have to call the customer care and request to activate it (Whay can't they simply activate it?!) . But when I called the customer care, the lady didn't even know what to do!

There are lot of confusions and inconsistencies between what you get and what is mentioned in the site. The site says you get a 1TB HDD DVR box but what I got is 500 GB. I was also told by the rep that I will get two months South Gold HD subscription with the box but what I got it only for one month.
Keep us posted, I am planning for a Videocon HD Box myself and it owuld be good to learn from your experiences?

Also, on a separate note, anyone tried DISHONLINE?
Old 10th October 2013, 14:40   #2184
BHPian

Re: Update for Tata Sky HD+ Subscribers - How to connect your Box using a single cabl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
As the apartment I moved into had a cable out I could easily connect one of the cables there. However the sight of another cable via the door and crawling to the TV frightened me. So, just to try it out I connected a splitter to the cable and connected the 2 cables to it and then to the box.
And voila it works!

Hope it helps people.
Although I don't use a DVR, I know the theory behind two cables. The channels transmitted by satellite are not all transmitted in the same bandwidth. A type of bandwidth can contain x number of channels. The LNB can capture and transmit only one type of bandwidth at any point in time. How it decides which one to receive? It is dictated by the STB. STB sends signals to LNB to select particular bandwidth depending on the channel you selected. Now your splitter solution will work as long as you select two channels that are transmitted in the same bandwidth but if there comes a situation where your primary channel is on one bandwidth and the recorded channel on another, then recording function will not work.

If you wish to deep dive into this topic, you can check the link http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/t...witches.23573/

Read point 3 and 4 of the "General Principles" of the post.
Old 10th October 2013, 19:16   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good for you.
Here, in Delhi, I am still waiting for some solution.
The Videocon engineer did not show up yesterday, as promised.
Update on Videocon D2h:

Today, finally, two engineers turned up and tried whatever they knew (very little, actually!!) but could not get the recording feature to work with my HDD.
They updated the firmware of the set top box and tried again. They changed the box with a new one they were carrying; to no avail!
The HDD gets formatted but after re-boot the set top box forgets that there is an HDD connected. None of the options pertaining to the recording feature get displayed in the settings menu.
Almost two hours wasted and the problem remains unresolved!
Old 11th October 2013, 10:16   #2186
BHPian

Re: Update for Tata Sky HD+ Subscribers - How to connect your Box using a single cabl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Now your splitter solution will work as long as you select two channels that are transmitted in the same bandwidth but if there comes a situation where your primary channel is on one bandwidth and the recorded channel on another, then recording function will not work.

If you wish to deep dive into this topic, you can check the link http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/t...witches.23573/

Read point 3 and 4 of the "General Principles" of the post.

Thansk for this.

Now there is a small matter of finding out which channels are in which bandwidth.Is there a way to find that out?
Old 11th October 2013, 10:58   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Update on my Videocon D'0'H - From Bad to Worse

Quote:
Update on Videocon D2h:

Today, finally, two engineers turned up and tried whatever they knew (very little, actually!!) but could not get the recording feature to work with my HDD.
They updated the firmware of the set top box and tried again. They changed the box with a new one they were carrying; to no avail!
The HDD gets formatted but after re-boot the set top box forgets that there is an HDD connected. None of the options pertaining to the recording feature get displayed in the settings menu.
Almost two hours wasted and the problem remains unresolved!
I have the same problem. No recording possible. The error I see is E101-29, Not authorized to access HD DVR features. (It is not because the feature is not enabled, surely it is a box issue.)

UPDATE on my Videocon Experience so far: (From Bad to Worse)

Day 1: I call up local Videocon store and make my order

Day 2: Nothing happens

Day 3: A guy comes with the setup and installs the dish, but the HD DVR box he brought failed to boot up. I told him to give me a new box but it was hard to convince him that the box is faulty. Finally he agreed to bring a new box.

Day 4: The new box arrived, box provisioned with South Gold HD pack. But It failed to record. He said it will take at least 12 hours for the box to start record feature.

Day 5: My PVR functionality gets enabled from Headend, after few calls to local Videocon guys as well as to the call center. (These call center guys are the most dumbest I ever spoke to)

Day 6: I find out that the HD DVR box that I got is a lemon (It has only a 160GB HDD, whereas the promised one was 500GB.) I called up the vendor and told him that I am cheated by them. After few minutes of talk he became convinced that my box is only 160GB. He said he will need to investigate the matter and then hanged up.
He again called after 15 minutes and promised me that an area head will come to my house (Planned On Day #8) with a proper box and try to get it working. If it doesn't still work, he said he will refund my money!

Day 7: It is today. I expect no development today. My box is still not recording anything.

Guys, please be very careful if you are buying Videocon. I now feel that these guys are simply trying to cheat anyone who doesn't look into details or who doesn't know much technical information about the HD DVR STBs.

Can anyone help me with some contact information where I can properly escalate this matter? Any help highly appreciated.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th October 2013 at 11:06.
Old 11th October 2013, 16:44   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Re: Update on my Videocon D'0'H - From Bad to Worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Day 6: I find out that the HD DVR box that I got is a lemon (It has only a 160GB HDD, whereas the promised one was 500GB.) ....
Gosh, this is bad! I did not imagine that the problem could also exist with the DVR box.
I am using a USB port box where I have to use my own media.
Needless to say, after yesterday's failed attempt, there has been no call from any Videocon D2h executive!!
Old 11th October 2013, 16:55   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Re: Update on my Videocon D'0'H - From Bad to Worse

Quote:
Gosh, this is bad! I did not imagine that the problem could also exist with the DVR box.
I am using a USB port box where I have to use my own media.
Needless to say, after yesterday's failed attempt, there has been no call from any Videocon D2h executive!!
Today morning I logged on to their site and logged a complaint. After explaining the issue, I also mentioned that I am part of many online forums where viewership is in millions and I also write technical blogs. Went on to tell that if my issue is not resolved asap, I am going to write about it on-line.

After couple of hours, I got a call from South Kerala sales head of D2H, and he accepted the mistake after listening to me. He has also promised a quick resolution of my issue. At last, got someone from D2H sensible enough to talk to!
Old 11th October 2013, 19:07   #2190
Distinguished - BHPian

Noticed today evening that MTunesHD on TataSKY channel 666 is also coming in non-HD format on channel 665. I hope that this is not a cheap trick by TataSKY to remove the HD channel and leave the non-HD one. Any other DTH platforms having similar issues?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks