Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2013, 11:23   #2221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Can the recorded programme be viewed afterwards on any other TV?

Is some coding/encrypting done by DTH programme suppliers to ensure that the downloaded content can be viewed only on that TV?
Technically, you can view the program on another TV, as long as the set top box remains the same.
The recorded content is encrypted and can only be viewed via the same box. The TV, per se, does not matter.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:19   #2222
Senior - BHPian

So I figured I'd post my purchasing experience with Tata Sky for whomsoever's benefit, as I read many pages ago some negatives regarding the same:

-I bought a Tata Sky package(Rs.999) from Croma(Sion) day before yesterday along with a nice 47" Sony 3D LED TV. I was told I'd have to the balance for the box, Rs.1000 as Diwali offer for the non-recording HD unit, upon delivery the next day.

-Yesterday I received a call in the morning from the Tata delivery guy asking for my address. He arrived around 6PM and after looking about he came to the conclusion that the dish absolutely had to be facing outside and cannot be placed inside due to signal issues. It turns out dish must be faced either on the terrace or outside the balcony in free air in order to function. Now I must get society permission for the same.

Will update if things progress. I hope my 2000 hasn't gone wasted.
Also worth mentioning is the installation guy tried getting me to sell the brand new unit to him for half price upon informing me of my dilemma.

Last edited by Maky : 6th November 2013 at 12:21.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:23   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
He arrived around 6PM and after looking about he came to the conclusion that the dish absolutely had to be facing outside and cannot be placed inside due to signal issues. It turns out dish must be faced either on the terrace or outside the balcony in free air in order to function. Now I must get society permission for the same.
Nothing new about this. Like GPS devices, they need to have access to clear skies for them to function.
Old 6th November 2013, 13:02   #2224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It turns out dish must be faced either on the terrace or outside the balcony in free air in order to function. Now I must get society permission for the same.
I am curious. Did you absolutely had no idea that the dish has to be placed outside? I mean did you never took any notice in your area/city that the dish antenna is always placed on the roof tops of homes/societies or in a place that has clear sky? It is very hard for me to believe that someone who is living in India has not seen any dish placed on roofs.

I think if you talk to call center guys and explain that there is absolutely no way to place your dish antenna on your building rooftop, they'd refund your money.
Old 6th November 2013, 14:07   #2225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...It turns out dish must be faced either on the terrace or outside the balcony in free air in order to function. ....
Your experience is unlikely to be of use to anyone since just about everyone already knows this.
It is your misfortune that you were somehow unaware of this basic requirement.
Old 6th November 2013, 15:08   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post

Nothing new about this. Like GPS devices, they need to have access to clear skies for them to function.
>.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

I am curious. Did you absolutely had no idea that the dish has to be placed outside? I mean did you never took any notice in your area/city that the dish antenna is always placed on the roof tops of homes/societies or in a place that has clear sky? It is very hard for me to believe that someone who is living in India has not seen any dish placed on roofs.

I think if you talk to call center guys and explain that there is absolutely no way to place your dish antenna on your building rooftop, they'd refund your money.
No.

I'll try to first get permission for the same before asking for a refund. I'd really like to get HD from Tata Sky after having their service recommended by so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Your experience is unlikely to be of use to anyone since just about everyone already knows this.
It is your misfortune that you were somehow unaware of this basic requirement.
For some reason I always thought signals would go past walls as they do with waves involving mobile phones. I feel quite stupid now having read this is supposed to be common knowledge : /
Old 6th November 2013, 18:19   #2227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll try to first get permission for the same ....
Doesn't your building already have dishes installed for a few service providers? Usually, apartment blocks are pre-wired and each flat does not need a separate dish.
Old 6th November 2013, 18:35   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post

Doesn't your building already have dishes installed for a few service providers? Usually, apartment blocks are pre-wired and each flat does not need a separate dish.
There was a dish long ago but then they got rid of it and now we have Hathaway(non-HD) providing cable to all the tenants, I'm unsure how perhaps some cable lines.
Does Hathways HD come close to Sky's? I was advised against it so I opted for Tata.
Old 6th November 2013, 20:55   #2229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There was a dish long ago but then they got rid of it and now we have Hathaway(non-HD) providing cable to all the tenants, .....
Sounds to me like someone is on the take!
There is no excuse for any society to not have DTH!
I do think you must push this more aggressively with your society.
Old 7th November 2013, 18:37   #2230
BHPian

Breaking news:
All HD channels of Star TV (except for Star World Premiere HD) on Dish TV-HD are now on Dolby Digital 5.1!
And so is Romedy Now!
Old 12th November 2013, 22:43   #2231
Senior - BHPian

I finally got around to getting the dish mounted right outside my house. Will deal with the society permissions non-sense later. Now, I would like to know which channel will I get F1(HD version) on please. ESPN is being retired I believe?
Old 13th November 2013, 07:02   #2232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I finally got around to getting the dish mounted right outside my house. Will deal with the society permissions non-sense later. Now, I would like to know which channel will I get F1(HD version) on please. ESPN is being retired I believe?
F1 used to be on ESPN HD but not for all races. Now Star Sports HD2 is new name for ESPN. On Tatasky, its channel 414.
Old 13th November 2013, 10:39   #2233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
F1 used to be on ESPN HD but not for all races. Now Star Sports HD2 is new name for ESPN. On Tatasky, its channel 414.
Thanks Bone!
I had a look, The super sports kids pack would be the cheapest way to get F1 in HD on Tata Sky, Is that correct?
Old 14th November 2013, 12:53   #2234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bone!
I had a look, The super sports kids pack would be the cheapest way to get F1 in HD on Tata Sky, Is that correct?
Never mind on that question. It would appear I can just Subscribe to the Star Sports HD2 channel alone without any package for Rs.29/month.

My revised feedback : ) on Tata Sky:

- The time it took for installation was not acceptable, 6 Days in total. Not to mention both the installation men tried to rip me for an extra 200Rs. on both occasions!.
- HD Access Fee on top of the Channel/Package cost.

+ Great Quality! I haven't seen the quality of HD from competitors yet but the SD on Tata seems significantly better than the one on my older Hathway.
+ Customer Service is one of the best I've used. They have a very easy to use web help which if you don't want to deal with customer support lines is the way to go!

In conclusion, I'm very satisfied with my Tata Sky service so far : ).
I now await the rainy season. I've heard Tata Sky's signal gets finicky during that time of the year.
Old 14th November 2013, 13:38   #2235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- The time it took for installation was not acceptable, 6 Days in total. Not to mention both the installation men tried to rip me for an extra 200Rs. on both occasions!.
What did they do to ask this additional amount?

Quote:
- HD Access Fee on top of the Channel/Package cost.
Yes, Tata Sky is expensive for HD. This is the reason many people (me included) are switching to other operators.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks