Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2013, 00:59   #2026
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

@nowwhat, 600/- a month is steep. I have taken the top pack, and pay about 460 a month. Have a look at the channels online.

I am satisfied with pic quality and transmission. I had worked out a deal, 1 years payment(460/month for the main STB + 160/month for an additional STB) at one go and my STB's were free.
Old 8th July 2013, 01:34   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Trust this is the monthly outgo. I used to think that Tata Sky was the most expensive one and was in a mood to switch to either Video con or Dish. But my outgo is lower than that given below and for exactly the same number of boxes. Two HD PVRs and one HD outgo is 908/-

I wish that TS boffins make the USB port on the STBs operational t enable down loads etc. I recently lost some real good documentary's and movies that were recorded for watching at a convenient time in the future, since my PVR box went Kaput and was replaced. There is no option of transferring data. How is it with other companies STBs? can one download recordings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am on Dish TV and pay 1027 for three STBs, two of which are HD and one SD. I get almost all channels except for two new HBO channels, some French channel and regional languages other than Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. I've read videocon is supposedly the best in terms of quality and price but cannot vouch for it. Also read Tatasky is switching to mp4 shortly. Not sure if this helps, maybe you should visit a couple of friends houses before you decide. Till then renew month on month.
Old 8th July 2013, 06:20   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Trust this is the monthly outgo. I used to think that Tata Sky was the most expensive one and was in a mood to switch to either Video con or Dish. But my outgo is lower than that given below and for exactly the same number of boxes. Two HD PVRs and one HD outgo is 908/-

I wish that TS boffins make the USB port on the STBs operational t enable down loads etc. I recently lost some real good documentary's and movies that were recorded for watching at a convenient time in the future, since my PVR box went Kaput and was replaced. There is no option of transferring data. How is it with other companies STBs? can one download recordings?
Depends on how many channels you get too, the pricing. You could have removed the internal hdd and tried swapping it into one of your other boxes to see if it worked. I very rarely record and it is easier on Dish with the USB stick, but you probably cannot download to PC yet.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:54   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Folks, need your help with this.

Just today I called them to add FX and I was told that I have to add a Rs. 45 "chota pack" with 9 channels out of which 8 I already subscribe to just so that I can get the 1 additional channel. I asked if I can get it a-la-carte and they said no. As it is I am paying Rs. 600+ a month.

Look forward to your replies!
Switch to TS if simplicity is your main concern. Their packages are rather simple to understand, they don't place their banners on all channels aggressively either (which is good). The only issue I face is the quality of SD Channels which is like watching a bad quality of downloaded content. The HD is better than Airtel though.
My package comes to around 500 bucks for everything (among regional channels I only watch Hindi) if you add any other Regional pack (2 are free) it should not come to more than 550 bucks.
Old 8th July 2013, 11:31   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded last week from Dish SD to Dish HD.
I think the best PQ that I get is for Zee HD. And why not, after all it is their own channel.

There are three packs - 399, 499 and 599.

I picked up the connection from a dealer, but please do not repeat this mistake. Buy online and save around 600 Rs.

Lot of people mentioned Dish TV does not have good quality, but I think it is a thing of the past. I have no issues with their HD (and even SD) channels on my 50" plasma.
I am not sure about sound quality, since I do not have any special sound system - I am satisfied with the sound from the TV itself for now.

Dish TV offers around 40 channels (HD + up scaled) and the count of HD is going up and the up scaled ones are reducing.

What I do not like so far, is that the UI for the STB is the same for both HD and SD. It looks really big (with big fonts) on the 50" screen.
So, in that sense there is no new software which I was looking forward to.

Edit: Does it make sense to go for the 5 year plan for DishTV? You pay around Rs. 20K and get 5 years of their top HD pack included. No other charges and no price hike effect.

Last edited by S_U_N : 8th July 2013 at 11:32.
Old 8th July 2013, 12:04   #2031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Does it make sense to go for the 5 year plan for DishTV? You pay around Rs. 20K and get 5 years of their top HD pack included. No other charges and no price hike effect.
But then you are also stuck with the same operator for the next 5 years. If it works out good then ~330 for all channels (HD included) is a great deal. What is the fine print? If you need/decide to move away? I too am contemplating the long term recharge option (Videocon), but this factor alone (sort of lock in) is holding me back.
Old 8th July 2013, 13:16   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Switch to TS if simplicity is your main concern. Their packages are rather simple to understand, they don't place their banners on all channels aggressively either (which is good). The only issue I face is the quality of SD Channels which is like watching a bad quality of downloaded content. The HD is better than Airtel though.
My package comes to around 500 bucks for everything (among regional channels I only watch Hindi) if you add any other Regional pack (2 are free) it should not come to more than 550 bucks.

Thanks for your reply, but do I still need to buy a new STB and what not?
Old 8th July 2013, 13:18   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Sumathindra, I did try the VoD service by connecting the LAN cable directly to the set top box. Downloaded 1 movie. It used up 2.5GB. The movie was stored in my set top box for later viewing. I am not sure how long it was stored. But I did not find it after 15 days.

Never tried the Wifi version though.
TS is offering the wifi dongle for 300 bucks! I spoke to the customer care and they did confirm that it is not a Netgear device anymore. My question is has anyone installed this and again how long does the downloaded content stay in the set top box? Does it also eat up the space used by the regular recordings that happen on a daily basis?
Old 8th July 2013, 13:52   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Thanks for your reply, but do I still need to buy a new STB and what not?
Yes my friend - You absolutely need to buy an STB. Suggestion: buy the one where you can record.
Old 8th July 2013, 15:14   #2035
Senior - BHPian

Got a secondary TSky connection for my parents. I have the Grand Sports pack plus HD service for which i pay 510 p.m. and now i pay some 200 more for the second box, so total around 710 which is nearly similar to what my cable operator was charging for the Hathway non HD service.

My dad just loves ESPN and Star Cricket HD.
Old 8th July 2013, 15:35   #2036
Senior - BHPian

I have the annual HD Mega Pack, so I get all of the channels that TS has on their platform and the new ones get added FOC.

Swapping = opening box= void warranty, don't want to go there especially with a TATA company.

Having said that, they do seem to have systems in place. When the technicians from the designated franchise were at my place for installing the last of the boxes an 'auditor' from TS landed up and checked various aspects of the install. Beginning with the condition of the connector used behind the STB all the way to the multi receiver connected to the dish also clicked snaps of the install and the STB's labels. He was carrying various meters/instruments and checked the signal for strength, quality and the dish itself for polarity(?) Left after satisfying himself. The installers were surprised to see him land up and were very regimented in their behavior (Sir this, Sir that) with the guy. Per them in any given area random work orders are selected at TS end for audits on a daily basis, the franchisees are kept out of the loop, hence the surprise.

Quote:
Depends on how many channels you get too, the pricing. You could have removed the internal hdd and tried swapping it into one of your other boxes to see if it worked. I very rarely record and it is easier on Dish with the USB stick, but you probably cannot download to PC yet.
Old 8th July 2013, 18:34   #2037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Having said that, they do seem to have systems in place. When the technicians from the designated franchise were at my place for installing the last of the boxes an 'auditor' from TS landed up and checked various aspects of the install. Beginning with the condition of the connector used behind the STB all the way to the multi receiver connected to the dish also clicked snaps of the install and the STB's labels. He was carrying various meters/instruments and checked the signal for strength, quality and the dish itself for polarity(?) Left after satisfying himself. The installers were surprised to see him land up and were very regimented in their behavior (Sir this, Sir that) with the guy. Per them in any given area random work orders are selected at TS end for audits on a daily basis, the franchisees are kept out of the loop, hence the surprise.
Ditto for me. I was surprised to see a person from TataSKY after the local fellow had left post installing the HD+ box. He used different meters and checked every connection and kept making notes. He left after satisfying himself. Later,when the person who had installed the box, I told him about this visit and he was kind of taken aback. Its good to see that they are being watched over.
Old 8th July 2013, 21:46   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
I have the annual HD Mega Pack, so I get all of the channels that TS has on their platform and the new ones get added FOC.

Swapping = opening box= void warranty, don't want to go there especially with a TATA company.

That's pretty terrific. No such treatment on Dish but they have a one month warranty on any work done against a complaint. However I've been on Dish for 8-10 years now... Maybe TS when my hardware goes bad! These guys do not give all channels even though I am on their top HD pack... No new channels when added etc
Old 9th July 2013, 09:49   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What is the fine print? If you need/decide to move away? I too am contemplating the long term recharge option (Videocon), but this factor alone (sort of lock in) is holding me back.
Well as far as I know, once you pay up the 20K (approx.) the money is gone. It does not matter if you watch the channels or deactivate your service.

There are two things:
1. The package costs have been increasing each year and hence they are expected to go up.
2. New channels if added to Dish TV network may or may not go to the top pack (Royal pack). However, even if you have not got a 5 year commitment, you will still not get those new HD channels in case Dish TV decides to exclude them from the top pack. So you don't miss out on anything by making this commitment.

Quote:
... an 'auditor' from TS landed up and checked various aspects of the install..
Good to hear this, and a step in the right direction. I hope others will follow, though I don't think this is a big differentiator. A customer who is facing issues with the quality of signal will eventually complain and the provider will satisfy him/ her in almost all cases.

Quote:
These guys do not give all channels even though I am on their top HD pack... No new channels when added etc
What do you mean by this? What pack are you on at the moment and what channels are missing? I assume you are talking about Dish TV in this case.

BTW: Some time back there was a discussion on Youtube and other services streaming via DTH network. Is there some update on that?

Last edited by S_U_N : 9th July 2013 at 09:51.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:30   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
What do you mean by this? What pack are you on at the moment and what channels are missing? I assume you are talking about Dish TV in this case.
I am on South HD Royal Pack at 599 a month and don't get the new HBO HD channels.
Earlier the CBS pack was not included but with some recent changes they are now available. Yes am on DishTV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks