Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:40   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Called the operator today early morning. The call was picked and I was told the channels will not be available till Monday due to decoder problem. Called again after sometime - another guy picked up and said there is a discussion going on due to rates and there are plans for cable operators might also provide packages like DTH.
There are packages like DTH by Hathway. Cable operators are reluctant to inform or hand over the brochure as the package cost will reduce their income. My parents pay 350 bucks per month now, if they had to choose accordingly, it will cost them roughly 200 bucks as they dont want all the channels. Probe the cable operators a bit and they should be able to fish out a package list.
Old 11th June 2013, 22:00   #2012
BHPian

Hi everybody
In one of my earlier posts I had mentioned that Tata Sky goes off even when the rain is 4/5 kms away.
A very pleasant surprise this year.
In spite of heavy rains in Bombay it wasn't as bad as last year. Maybe they have upgraded their system.
Has anybody else noticed it?
Regards
Old 11th June 2013, 22:16   #2013
Senior - BHPian

I have a dish TV connection for my spare tV which is hardly used by the family. Infact I am wasting money by recharging over 300+ every month for this connection The recharge date of the connection is due on 15th June.

Now please assist me what should I do?

Do i stop recharging it? What will happen if I intend to use the connection again after say 2-3 months? Will i have to pay for the inactivity period also?

If I ask the company to officially close my account then will they take the hardware (STB + Dish antenna) and refund any amount?

What should be done in my case?
Old 12th June 2013, 08:59   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone knows if this new CAF form that is mandate to fill and submit for Delhi STB's user's, applicable for Tata Sky user's as well? Read news today that this CAF form needs to be filled and submitted before June 25 otherwise connection will be lost

Also where can i find this form?
Old 12th June 2013, 12:24   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Does anyone knows if this new CAF form that is mandate to fill and submit for Delhi STB's user's, applicable for Tata Sky user's as well? Read news today that this CAF form needs to be filled and submitted before June 25 otherwise connection will be lost

Also where can i find this form?
I believe this data needs to be submitted to cable operators as mine has asked me to provide the address/ID proofs. I have not received any such request from Tata Sky and I think may not be needed.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:26   #2016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
In one of my earlier posts I had mentioned that Tata Sky goes off even when the rain is 4/5 kms away.
A very pleasant surprise this year.
In spite of heavy rains in Bombay it wasn't as bad as last year. Maybe they have upgraded their system.
Has anybody else noticed it?
Regards
Well the experience here in Bangalore is quote opposite. Even before it rains with some thunders and lightning, the relay snaps and eventually when it rains it snaps again. Oh trust me it is irritating.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:59   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Well the experience here in Bangalore is quote opposite. Even before it rains with some thunders and lightning, the relay snaps and eventually when it rains it snaps again. Oh trust me it is irritating.
When it is raining typically I have seen that the SD channels work and the HD ones go off.

Slightly OT: Has anyone compared the quality of TS & Airtel SD? The SD on TS is pathetic to say the least. I was pleasantly surprised by the qulaity of SD on airtel (that too on a bigger TV than mine). Its the placing of their logo which is highly irritating. They strategically place their logo for maximum visibility wheras TS simply places it at one spot (which is good).
Old 12th June 2013, 14:48   #2018
Senior - BHPian

TSky HD had slight issues while watching the F1 race on Sunday night and it was raining here but only slight issues. After watching HD, SD looks pathetic. Hope TSky increase the HD Channel count.
Old 20th June 2013, 09:01   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
TSky HD had slight issues while watching the F1 race on Sunday night and it was raining here but only slight issues. After watching HD, SD looks pathetic. Hope TSky increase the HD Channel count.
I do not foresee any significant increase in HD Channels. In the latest news Tata Sky is planning to take ISRO to court over the transponder issue.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1801000_1.html

-- Wind
Old 20th June 2013, 09:51   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I have a dish TV connection for my spare tV which is hardly used by the family. Infact I am wasting money by recharging over 300+ every month for this connection The recharge date of the connection is due on 15th June.

Do i stop recharging it? What will happen if I intend to use the connection again after say 2-3 months? Will i have to pay for the inactivity period also?

If I ask the company to officially close my account then will they take the hardware (STB + Dish antenna) and refund any amount?

As far as I know, if you recharge after you account balance reaches zero, you will have to pay Rs. 25 towards reactivation.

Please call the customer care and confirm this part.

I do not think that they will take away the hardware - also there is no amount that you have paid as deposit.

I do not know if it is legal to sell the Dish and the STB though. Does anyone know?
Old 24th June 2013, 14:03   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Slightly OT: Has anyone compared the quality of TS & Airtel SD? The SD on TS is pathetic to say the least.
I have not watched Airtel's DTH, but I have used TS. BBC World looks like a 360p webcam feed.

OT: Why are there more global news channels on DishTV than on the TataSky network? I remember getting them even on the Doordarshan's DTH, most of the are FTAs!
Old 25th June 2013, 00:01   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
I have not watched Airtel's DTH, but I have used TS. BBC World looks like a 360p webcam feed.

OT: Why are there more global news channels on DishTV than on the TataSky network? I remember getting them even on the Doordarshan's DTH, most of the are FTAs!
Ashutosh
Hi
I too have noticed this with TS. It was different with Videocon which I had earlier.
Even in the regional channels Videocon offered more languages albeit FTA, but TS restricts to 2.
It is their policy.
Regards
Old 25th June 2013, 00:27   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

Dish TV helpline confirmed that I can instantly reactivate my connection even after 4-5 months without any fine etc. That's good IMO.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:59   #2024
BHPian

Folks, need your help with this.

I am currently on Airtel DTH with the recorder function and while I am happy with the sound and picture quality, I am just unhappy with the choice of channels and the price. Now the time for renewal of my 1-year long term pack is coming up and I am thinking of moving to Videocon DTH which seems to be getting rave reviews. On browsing the web, I can see some articles for set-top-box portability from 2010. Did this ever become a reality? Or do I need to plonk more cash to get a new Videocon DTH set-top-box?

As for my woes with Airtel, I am tired of paying extra for channels. I have the South Mega 12 HD pack, but after I subscribed I found out that it does not have CNN and a whole host of other English channels. Funnily I received all these channels during their 2 month free South Mega promo offer when I signed up with them.

Just today I called them to add FX and I was told that I have to add a Rs. 45 "chota pack" with 9 channels out of which 8 I already subscribe to just so that I can get the 1 additional channel. I asked if I can get it a-la-carte and they said no. As it is I am paying Rs. 600+ a month.

Look forward to your replies!
Old 8th July 2013, 00:16   #2025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Folks, need your help with this.

I am currently on Airtel DTH with the recorder function and while I am happy with the sound and picture quality, I am just unhappy with the choice of channels and the price. Now the time for renewal of my 1-year long term pack is coming up and I am thinking of moving to Videocon DTH which seems to be getting rave reviews. On browsing the web, I can see some articles for set-top-box portability from 2010. Did this ever become a reality? Or do I need to plonk more cash to get a new Videocon DTH set-top-box?

As for my woes with Airtel, I am tired of paying extra for channels. I have the South Mega 12 HD pack, but after I subscribed I found out that it does not have CNN and a whole host of other English channels. Funnily I received all these channels during their 2 month free South Mega promo offer when I signed up with them.

Just today I called them to add FX and I was told that I have to add a Rs. 45 "chota pack" with 9 channels out of which 8 I already subscribe to just so that I can get the 1 additional channel. I asked if I can get it a-la-carte and they said no. As it is I am paying Rs. 600+ a month.

Look forward to your replies!
I am on Dish TV and pay 1027 for three STBs, two of which are HD and one SD. I get almost all channels except for two new HBO channels, some French channel and regional languages other than Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. I've read videocon is supposedly the best in terms of quality and price but cannot vouch for it. Also read Tatasky is switching to mp4 shortly. Not sure if this helps, maybe you should visit a couple of friends houses before you decide. Till then renew month on month.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks