Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 22:42   #1216
BHPian

Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbabuanand View Post
is any body watching icc world cup in hd
cause i have sun hd and they are asking for 13000(thirteen thousand) to add these channels( espn hd and star sports hd)

Monaro- how much did you pay for this tata sky
13000 for two channels!!!!!

AFAIK, On Tata sky it is 50 bucks additional above base package for ALL the HD channels.
Old 21st February 2011, 22:49   #1217
BHPian

sids- the amount left me stumped too.
waiting for monaros reply to switch on to tata sky.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:19   #1218
Senior - BHPian

TataSky HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
Using the Tata sky+ recorder and watching Cricket on HD..quality stuff!
Quote:
is any body watching icc world cup in hd
cause i have sun hd and they are asking for 13000(thirteen thousand) to add these channels( espn hd and star sports hd)

Monaro- how much did you pay for this tata sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
13000 for two channels!!!!!

AFAIK, On Tata sky it is 50 bucks additional above base package for ALL the HD channels.
13000? hope you spell it right.

Just a month back I scraped SUN Direct SD and bought TataSky HD.

Total Cost was Rs.4444 (STB + 1 year supreme pack) Monthly add-ons of around Rs.200 (including Rs.30 for Gold Pack)

For 30 Rs/month I am getting ESPN HD and Star Cricket HD.

Last Saturday I watched the entire match between India & Bangladesh in Full HD. Can't believe the experience.TV Samsung LCD LA40C630
  • Full HD clarity & sharpness
  • Vibrant color
  • Good voice clarity
  • More ground area covered.
  • New experience when panning gallery shots
  • Stunning clarity for the score boards, statistics, graphics, etc.
  • Last but least - No ad!!! (yes, the entire match was watched without any advertisement). First in my life watching an entire cricket match without ad(may be lack of Full HD ads holding them). It was nice to see what happens in between over change, fall of wicket and drinks time.
I recommend TataSky HD

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 22nd February 2011 at 12:21.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:20   #1219
Team-BHP Support

The Tata Sky HD receiver, does it have recorder function too?

What are the digital audio (5.1) output options? Only HDMI or even toslink? My 7 year old A/V Receiver only has toslink and coax audio inputs.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:26   #1220
BHPian

Apparently the DVR and 5.1 features come with another higher end HD set top box costing 6000 Rs. I bought the regular HD box and paid 2600 for the same.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:44   #1221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

What are the digital audio (5.1) output options? Only HDMI or even toslink? My 7 year old A/V Receiver only has toslink and coax audio inputs.
As Sindbad said, the basic one does have only HDMI. It also has no DVR.
I also dont know if the HDMI out handles both audio and video.

The other output that would be good to have is optical. This would allow backward compatibility also.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd February 2011 at 13:56.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:17   #1222
BHPian

myavu-the amt quoted is exact amount.
unfortunately there is no tata sky hd at my place trichy,wondering why?
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:26   #1223
BHPian

Tata sky HD stb has hdmi with 5.1 Dolby for HD channels. Few days back they have launched HD+ Pvr stb with recording functionality in HD format. Costs 3999/- subscription package remains the same. This new box however outputs only stereo audio thru hdmi. But toslink optical as well as coaxial digital output is avlbl which gives 5.1 Dolby output for HD channels. Hdmi video output is in 1080i.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:26   #1224
BHPian

Tata Sky HD is really good. I got a chance to see a demo of the Tata Sky HD plus with the recording facility. I regret my decision to purchase the Tata Sky Plus just 3 months back. The HD recorder is available for Rs 3999 and then there is no Installation charges or anything else. Also if you buy the mega pack along with the box you get all the channels 190 + along with the HD channels for 1 year, total is around 9299. I am already with Tata Sky + and now will be selling of my recorder so that I can purchase the HD recorder, but yes Tata Sky only has few channels at the moment on HD where as Dish TV has not 30 channels on HD - true HD.

So folks its time to really enjoy that LCD/LED TV that is there in your living room - PS is anyone interested in the Older Tata Sky + recorder let me know its only 3 months old now and I will give a good discount.
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:31   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I got Tata Sky+ DVR for Rs. 3999 including installation and 1 month grand sport pack free (worth Rs.380) for paying through credit card.

I am truly enjoying the HD experience so far. World Cup was one of the major reasons I wanted to go for the HD pack, which is Rs.50/month for at least 3 months.

Hope this helps.
Old 22nd February 2011, 20:28   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Both versions are avlbl - the older one without pvr/recorder launched last year - it has hdmi/component video out and only coaxial-digital/spdf out - no optical.

The newer one with pvr/recording function and 500 GB hdd was launched on 10th Feb. It has optical toslink too. Have got installed this one on 12th and using it currently. Cost 3999/-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
...Dish TV has not 30 channels on HD - true HD.
Don't fall for it - this is utter farce - most of them are upscaled from SD to HD with fake surround audio - which a decent HD lcd tv or a/v receiver will do better. In fact, they would do better to broadcast the SD content with less compression for better picture quality for such channels.

If the original content itself is not HD format, it will just be upscaled - Star Plus HD for example. Worse, since HD is 16:9 format, the upscaled broadcast from 4:3 format looks funny IMO.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:08   #1227
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Everyone should just get rid of their Sun HD boxes in protest. Airtel and Dish are charging Rs 150 for the duration of the WC. TataSky is charging Rs 100 (Rs 50/mth). Sun is charging Rs 13,000/-. Are these guys for real???
Old 28th February 2011, 14:31   #1228
BHPian

Guys, I installed the Tata sky HD+ with DVR over the week end. The total cost is Rs.3999. Installation is free. Since I paid by credit card, I got the sports grand pack free for a month. HD Channels are Rs.50 per month.

I also have the following cable connections at my home

1. Digital set top box from local cable wallah – All channels at Rs.200 per month.
2. Sun direct SD connection only for watching basic Tamil channel. Rs.99 per month.

The subscription of SUN DIRECT got expired and was contemplating on extending the package. Then World cup cricket in HD made me think if I really wanted to go with sun direct. Also the HD DVR function offered by Tata sky at just Rs.3999 was really tempting. I guess Tata sky is going to make a kill this cricket reason with their pricing strategy. I have a Sont Bravia 37” LCD S series which is HD Ready and not Full HD.

Here are the first impressions after I installed Tata sky HD + in my home.

1. The clarity in cable wallah’s digital set top box started looking like a joke which I never felt in the past 2 years.
2. Sun direct clarity used to be much better than the cable digital TV. But the clarity seen in Tata sky normal SD channels are even better. There is a definite improvement in clarity even for SD channels compared to Sun direct.
3. Now coming to the biggest of them all. The HD clarity that I can see even in my HD ready TV is really good. Cricket viewing has gone to a different dimension altogether. This has been further assisted by No ad breaks and we get a complete viewing experience. Guys who are crazy about cricket should definitely go for this.
4. The recording function is also very good. You can record maximum of two programs at the same time due to dual tuner option that comes with the set top box. Only thing is that we should be watching either one of the channels being recorded if recording is set at the same time.

Overall, the experience is good as of now.
Old 28th February 2011, 14:37   #1229
BANNED

@samurai: As per Tata - HD is only for the metros and the like. This was confirmed to me by a CC rep only last week.

We upcountry yokels have only one option - vote with our credit cards!
Old 28th February 2011, 14:59   #1230
BHPian

TATA SKY ROCKS !!!

Today bought a TATA SKY HD.
Price is Rs. 2599 . From BANER VIJAYA SALES.

Immediately got call from customer care.
Installation will schedule at 5 PM today only.

Will update the experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks